Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Anton Stralman signs with the Panthers (3 years, $5.5M AAV)

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Top 4 RHD UFA...sounds about right in line in terms of AAV. Big need for the cats. Will probably play with Yandle or Matheson.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Pretty easy to see what the Panthers are doing.

Plan A: Sign Bob and Bread; Trade Hoffman for a Top-4 D. The bigger risk here was Seattle expansion and potentially losing this newly acquired D for nothing.

Panarin didn't work out so pivot to ...

Plan B: Sign Bob, money for Bread now goes to Top-4 D and 3rd line grit (which was needed as well). The term on Stralman coincides with the end of Sasha and Tro's contracts. Also gives us someone to keep exposed for Seattle expansion.

I'm not entirely opposed to this path.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Tyler Myers just got 6M over 5 years. Stralsy has been exponentially better than him historically.

Cody Ceci, arguably the worst dman in the NHL got a 4.5M deal.

Ron Hainsey is 38 and got a 3.5M deal, for a guy who should be riding pine for stretches at this point.

Deal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. He should rebound.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Pretty easy to see what the Panthers are doing.

Plan A: Sign Bob and Bread; Trade Hoffman for a Top-4 D. The bigger risk here was Seattle expansion and potentially losing this newly acquired D for nothing.

Panarin didn't work out so pivot to ...

Plan B: Sign Bob, money for Bread now goes to Top-4 D and 3rd line grit (which was needed as well). The term on Stralman coincides with the end of Sasha and Tro's contracts. Also gives us someone to keep exposed for Seattle expansion.

I'm not entirely opposed to this path.

Not so sure we acquired '3rd line grit' but rather 'competition at RW'. The point is more that plan B (the breadless option) is a little healthier and allows for the Panthers to address their actual needs (G, D, RW). Both plans suffice to me, though Panarin would've been sick.

Reactions: Desert Panther

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He was 10 times better when Tampa signed him for 4.5 a few years ago than he is now. Still, happy for the guy, had a good stint here and overplayed his contract especially in the first couple of years.

Now I realize the cap has gone up and ridiculously expensive contracts are given out, just thought that was funny.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Not so sure we acquired '3rd line grit' but rather 'competition at RW'. The point is more that plan B (the breadless option) is a little healthier and allows for the Panthers to address their actual needs (G, D, RW). Both plans suffice to me, though Panarin would've been sick.

Admittedly I don't know a ton about Connolly, but everything I've read has said he has a bit of sandpaper to his game with some decent offense. Definitely a 5v5 improvement. Adding Acciari to the fold as well helps there too. Likely the replacement for Sheahan.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Admittedly I don't know a ton about Connolly, but everything I've read has said he has a bit of sandpaper to his game with some decent offense. Definitely a 5v5 improvement. Adding Acciari to the fold as well helps there too. Likely the replacement for Sheahan.
Connolly definitely wants some top-6 time and some PP time. Don't forget, he was a high pick and he's still relatively youthful. My guess is he wants to take his game to the next level in Florida.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Probably the most satisfying signing of the day for me in terms of player fitting the team's needs

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Not bad if they are able to expose him to Seattle that 3rd year like the Pavelski deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad