Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Anton Stralman signs with the Panthers (3 years, $5.5M AAV)

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
FLA want to make things happen in the now, and one can't blame them. Value if healthy is good but term is of course a risk, but I think everyone likes a league where managers try. I hope it works.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why are the panthers paying so much for free agents??? Doesn't everyone signing there remember the tax advantage that automatically has certain states under pay for every player without exception??

Are you living in 2015 or something?

Reactions: RainingRats

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Basically, Florida just got a good, steady, reliable defenseman and a great guy for just a bit of an overpayment. Please take care of him as he's one of the most fan friendly, nicest guys you'll ever have. :( And his family is fricking adorable! :puppy:

For the doubters, Strålman was playing FINE on the shutdown second pair with McDonagh this season until he went down to injury in late Nov. Munched solid 22+ minutes and had the highest SH TOI/G until injury. When Hedman was out for a month, both Stråls and Mac were defensive beasts as the default first pairing. Even after injury, he still managed 17 points in 47 games, a final +/- of 12 and almost the same SH TOI/G minutes as Mac this season.

After the injury is when things went downhill, but he still has some skills that - if healthy - are valuable as a pretty decent top-four defenseman. Especially on the PK or making a great first pass to break out and, most especially NOT turning the fricking puck over! He had something like only 30 turnovers in each of the last THREE seasons! :eek:

Rumor is that Stråls had what was thought to be a groin injury so tried to manage it, but which ended up being a sports hernia that he got repaired in early May. No fricking wonder he had a rough season! Same thing happened to McDonagh the season we acquired him. Everyone was surprised that he wasn't as amazing as promised and we end up finding out that he was fighting a sports hernia which was subsequently repaired and Mac was excellent this season.

So Strålman has a solid chance of being fine for your upcoming season as the repairs were said to have gone well and he's done with rehab and ready to prep for the upcoming season. The only way that his age might really play a factor in his future would be if it affects how he recovers from injury. His playing style would otherwise age well because he's such a positionally smart defenseman. Imho, y'all might have overpayed by a mil or so, but the term is good.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Interesting to see how that goes with Q. My evaluation of Stralman had been how he keeps plays alive pinching and taking risks a lot. And when healthy he was able to get back or have great partners that cover.

But over the years some guys playing like that and making too many mistakes doing that made Q mad. That's what got Kempny benched quite a lot.

Reactions: thekernel

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is the going rate for Top 4 D-men in UFA is it not? I swear every year there are UFA d-men signed in this range, of course it’s a bit of an overpay that’s what happens.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Interesting to see how that goes with Q. My evaluation of Stralman had been how he keeps plays alive pinching and taking risks a lot. And when healthy he was able to get back or have great partners that cover.

But over the years some guys playing like that and making too many mistakes doing that made Q mad. That's what got Kempny benched quite a lot.

Be on alert top4 dmen on Panthers ...not named Stralman.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm glad Florida went after a top keeper and some dmen instead of Panarin. Those were the areas that needed fixing, attack was already fine. I'd be happy with Panarin too but I think this suits team needs better
Offense was good but misleading. Relied too much on the man advantage.

But you’re definitely right in that they addressed their highest needs first. The goaltending switch should be enough to put them in consideration for a playoff spot. All the other changes hopefully ensure that. I think Panarin would’ve ultimately been more positive but also would’ve handcuffed this team’s finances in a few years.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

Rumor is that Stråls had what was thought to be a groin injury so tried to manage it, but which ended up being a sports hernia that he got repaired in early May. No fricking wonder he had a rough season! Same thing happened to McDonagh the season we acquired him. Everyone was surprised that he wasn't as amazing as promised and we end up finding out that he was fighting a sports hernia which was subsequently repaired and Mac was excellent this season.

Wow, he’s coming off sports hernia surgery? That makes this deal super risky, imo. Some guys bounce right back from that, but a lot of them don’t get back to normal for a long time, and some are never the same. Just from my Caps, Karl Alzner and Brooks Laich had major drop offs after their surgeries. Hopefully Florida’s done their research here, and Stralman’s injury was less severe than what those guys had, cause if not this could be a redux of Alzner’s Habs contract.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Wow, he’s coming off sports hernia surgery? That makes this deal super risky, imo. Some guys bounce right back from that, but a lot of them don’t get back to normal for a long time, and some are never the same. Just from my Caps, Karl Alzner and Brooks Laich had major drop offs after their surgeries. Hopefully Florida’s done their research here, and Stralman’s injury was less severe than what those guys had, cause if not this could be a redux of Alzner’s Habs contract.

at least it's only 3 years

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Coach Q said in the conference that they had checked out the injury, found that it was a minor fix and were happy to bring Strålman aboard. If Q thinks that, with all the medical resources/info he has access to and his keen bullshit detector senses, then the odds are reeeeeally good that Stråls will bounce back.

BTW, an earlier poster said something about Coach Q getting upset when guys make mistakes? One of the notable features of Strålman's game is that he's a very smart defenseman and doesn't make many egregious mistakes. He's not flashy, he's almost too calm at times, but, when healthy, he's solid. Hence his extremely low turnover rate compared to most defensemen. ;)

Sabrehack

Aug 30, 2018
Nice pickups, but now Florida has 5.6M in cap space with 6 roster spots to fill. Still some serious work to do from here.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He was so good his first few years in Tampa. One of the larger, underrated mistakes overlooked in recent history was NYR letting him go and locking up Dan Girardi that season and signing Dan Boyle that offseason. God awful and greatly accelerated the closing of the team's window.

1000% could not agree more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad