Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Anthony Duclair signs with the Panthers (1 year, $1.7M)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Duclair has a history of falling down the line up. I’d be surprised if he plays on a line with Barlok and Huberdeau.

Also, Barkov and Huberdeau are not slugs. They are in a whole different ozone layer.
Imagine holding onto that one word. Your team has no one close to the level of Barkov and Huberdeau. It's just facts.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
16 ESG, 5 PPG and 2 SHG in 66 games last year but 21 of those 23 goals were in his first 37 games.
2 goals in the final 29 games.

If Zito is just pumping and dumping Duclairs value to buy a pick, Q will play him with Huberdeau and Barkov.
He'll get some decent PP time.
Sounds a lot like Connollys season with us last year, was on fire scoring a couple multi goal games and then disappeared the last 30ish games.

Another 20ish goal pace and .6 P/G type year could net Zito a decent draft pick or prospect from a contender at deadline.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
16 ESG, 5 PPG and 2 SHG in 66 games last year but 21 of those 23 goals were in his first 37 games.

If Zito is just pumping and dumping Duclairs value to buy a pick, Q will play him with Huberdeau and Barkov.
Sounds a lot like Connollys season with us last year, was on fire scoring a couple multi goal games and then disappeared the last 30ish games.

Another 20ish goal pace and .6 P/G type year could net Zito a decent draft pick or prospect from a contender at deadline.
Combined we might have a 45 goal scorer between Connolly and Duclair ;)

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Sounds a lot like Connollys season with us last year, was on fire scoring q couple multi goal games and then disappeared the last 30ish games.

He can play, but he generates most of the offense alone or is co-dependant on a setup guy, which was often Chabot last year trying to tee them up for him on the PP or OT, he's not going to be setting up guys or making anyone better around him. He wants the puck on his stick at all times. Wants to be the go to guy, but he's not at that level in the NHL and I don't think he will ever un-learn that. He has a junior mentality and will probably be playing oversees in no time unless he can actually change his mindset. I called him a douche in a previous post because Ottawa gave him an opportunity to succeed, and he seemed to be doing that for half the year, then turned down a more than fair offer, but apparently news today says that offer may not have been legit...no idea. All i know if they he received a QO from the Sens, he would have filed for arbitration no question, which leaves a sour taste in my mouth with any player because I value loyalty and want guys to want to play for the team I cheer for. It's not some weird coincidence that he can't find any stability with any team in the league so far in his career.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Combined we might have a 45 goal scorer between Connolly and Duclair ;)

If the depth is working, we may have 5-7 guys who score at least 12-15 goals.
May have 2 or 3 guys around 20.
I don't think the scoring issue will be as glaring as some make it out to be.

He can play, but he generates most of the offense alone or is co-dependant on a setup guy, which was often Chabot last year trying to tee them up for him on the PP or OT, he's not going to be setting up guys or making anyone better around him. He wants the puck on his stick at all times. Wants to be the go to guy, but he's not at that level in the NHL and I don't think he will ever un-learn that. He has a junior mentality and will probably be playing oversees in no time unless he can actually change his mindset. I called him a douche in a previous post because Ottawa gave him an opportunity to succeed, and he seemed to be doing that for half the year, then turned down a more than fair offer, but apparently news today says that offer may not have been legit...no idea. All i know if they he received a QO from the Sens, he would have filed for arbitration no question, which leaves a sour taste in my mouth with any player because I value loyalty and want guys to want to play for the team I cheer for. It's not some weird coincidence that he can't find any stability with any team in the league so far in his career.

Ya we kind of dealt with the same thing with Hoffman and Connolly who have their own faults.
Id prefer Tippett with Huberdeau and Barkov as he has a lethal shot and needs to play in the top 6 to put up points.

I'd put Duclair on 2nd line with Wennberg and Hornqvist, they are lesser skilled players than above and Duclair can be a line driver if he wants there. Wennberg can hopefully bring a 2 way game and some playmaking while Horny does his job and goes to the net for screens and garbage rebounds goals.

Duclair will likely see some time with Huberdeau and Barkov on the PP.
Just feel if Zito is flipping Duclair at deadline, pump his value up as much as possible with our two best forwards.

Q blenders his lines a ton so it will be a guessing game all year where and who everyone gels with. Lots of new faces again.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Duclair said OTT only offered him 1 year and the 3 year at 4mil per rumors were laughable.
Also, he is his own agent. He fired his agent in February

Yeah, that was the joke.

Dorian stated that he offered duclair a significant raise. He never said how much or for how many years. The 3 years at 4 million was a rumor backed up by nothing.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
How did he fall so far I remember when him and domi were being talked about as cornerstones for Arizona.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It depends on how he shows up in camp: we want a shot generator with the big two and Duclair does that. I’m curious how he reacts to being put on a money line.

if not he’ll be next to Wennberg (who he had some chemistry with for CBJ) and Hornqvist!

I think Hornqvist next to Wennberg is a great idea - Wennberg's best linemate ever in terms of chemistry was Scott Hartnell. There might be a similar match.

But FYI there was never any chemistry between Wennberg and Duclair. Torts just stuck them together along with Bjorkstrand, at a time when he didn't particularly want any of them playing on other (better) lines. It was a "doghouse" line. Wennberg and Duclair both had better scoring rates when they weren't playing next to each other. That's true especially for Duclair.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think Hornqvist next to Wennberg is a great idea - Wennberg's best linemate ever in terms of chemistry was Scott Hartnell. There might be a similar match.

But FYI there was never any chemistry between Wennberg and Duclair. Torts just stuck them together along with Bjorkstrand, at a time when he didn't particularly want any of them playing on other (better) lines. It was a "doghouse" line. Wennberg and Duclair both had better scoring rates when they weren't playing next to each other. That's true especially for Duclair.
Then we can try Tippett-Wennberg—Hornqvist and hope for the best!

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He's going to be playing for his future and might get to play with Barkov. That's something to look out for.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Wow...

a lot of unwarranted speculation in this thread. It’s an amazing deal for the panthers. Good player, and also have to give him major respect for being his own agent. Ive seen so many people lose their money and more because someone else knows more about their money than they do.

Reactions: hirawl

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
just the kind of guy Florida needs to get their ship turned around... A guy who can maybe pace for 25 goals and play zero defense

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think this is a good deal for Duclair and Florida. He likely gets some playing time with good players and has another good season.

From an Ottawa perspective, I imagine that after taking Dadonov they settled for Galchenyuk as replacement for Duclair. Duclair was a good player for Ottawa but he was replaceable and the team replaced him. Much like Panthers did with Dadonov actually.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
just the kind of guy Florida needs to get their ship turned around... A guy who can maybe pace for 25 goals and play zero defense

they needed to replace scoring after not re-signing Hoffman and Dad, Duc is a much cheaper replacement that can score. Money that would’ve gone to Hoffman and Dad was spread out to bolster the bottom 6. Matheson being replaced for Nutivaara and Gudas on the back end further helps the D (losing Math alone was a HUGE addition by subtraction).

So, yes, Duc is a guy the Panthers needed. For now.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Regretting that 3 x 4.25M offer from the Sens Anthony? :naughty::naughty::naughty:
RDS asked him about this recently and he said Ottawa only offered 1 x 4.25M, not 3. Of course maybe he was just saying that to save face because it's not like Ottawa would publicly dispute it, but I doubt it. He had 2 years of RFA left so a 1 year deal would make a lot more sense from Ottawa's POV than a 3 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad