Fixing the Powerplay

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If the PP was given to the "deserving players of the night".....i wouldn't talk about this possibility, but since the actors on the PP aren't those who worked hard for it: Rene Bourque should be on the PP.

He don't work hard, he don't go too much in the corner, but he's got a hell of a shot when he got some space around him.

Scored 3 goals last years on the PP. (Like Galchenyuk and Plek who got twice the ice-time, same as DD who got 3X the ice-time). Was pretty good on the PP in Calgary also.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If the PP was given to the "deserving players of the night".....i wouldn't talk about this possibility, but since the actors on the PP aren't those who worked hard for it: Rene Bourque should be on the PP.

He don't work hard, he don't go too much in the corner, but he's got a hell of a shot when he got some space around him.

Scored 3 goals last years on the PP. (Like Galchenyuk and Plek who got twice the ice-time, same as DD who got 3X the ice-time). Was pretty good on the PP in Calgary also.

I'm seriously beginning to doubt MT has a clue about merit.
He seems to have one of the most selective memories I've ever seen.
He will remember Tinner's giveaway to RyJo last year until the day he dies.
He does not seem to remember who led us to a 6-3 shoot out record last year.
The DD-Eller combo.
He certainly doesn't remember our PP sucks going on 11 months now.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I sent my beefs on the power play in to Marinaro this morning...he read it about 20 minutes ago. Seems like the consensus is that Patch should be playing with Pleks and Chucky.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd like to see Desharnais and Galchenyuk together with PAP.

Parenteau - Desharnais - Galchenyuk
Beaulieu - Subban

- DD has the habit of being too focused on finding Pacioretty so this trio might be a good puck moving trio.
- Beaulieu shoots much more than Markov so he might be able to use the space Subban creates better to get pucks on net.
- Galchenyuk will basically be the trigger in this set up setting up in slot/front of net.

Eller/Gallagher/Sekac - Plekanec - Pacioretty
Markov - Gilbert/Subban

- Plekanec and Pacioretty connected a few times on the PP, I think it's more potent than DD-Pacioretty since it's less predictable.
- Eller/Sekac/Gallagher will rotate in depending on game/situation. Reward if you play well basically.

No preferential treatment outside of Subban and Markov, no other player on the team has shown any indication that constantly being on the 1st unit will provide success. Also as WTK says...please no dump and chase. Skate the puck in or at worst chip and chase.

Just because a coach gets fired doesn't make him a terrible coach. Coaches have a certain shelf life after which the players tune out and a change is needed.

Blysma had 2 superstars in his lineup plus a bunch of other stars. Therrien took a team that finished 28th overall in 11-12 and with only a few changes they made the ECF last year. That's really hard to do in today's NHL...look how long teams like Florida Edmonton Buffalo NY Islanders have floundered out of the playoffs and in mediocrity.

The truth is realistically more closer to Cunneyworth/Gauthier taking a team that was a ECF/96 points the prior 2 seasons to 28th overall when you consider the talent on the team and common denominators. Jacques Martin achieved the same 'success' without having the same talent Therrien has...(Price/Subban/Pacioretty/Vanek/Plekanec/Markov/etc vs Price/Halak/Plekanec/Gionta/Cammalleri/rookie Subban/injured Markov/Hamrlik)

Last edited:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I sent my beefs on the power play in to Marinaro this morning...he read it about 20 minutes ago. Seems like the consensus is that Patch should be playing with Pleks and Chucky.

Wouldn't put it past them to switch Galchenyuk to the other side to play with DD and Max.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
By the 10th game in the season they should've significantly change how they play their PPs. Expecting any adjustments on the fly at camp and beginning of the season is unrealistic. By the 10th game they will have had the time to practice and try different setups. So yes it's a knock on the team but this is not the time to panic.

So, teams have adujsted to the Habs PP. Now is the time for our forwards to be asked to make plays down low to divert our bombs from the point. Mtl's forwards are fairly weak compared to many other teams and that's why the PP is easily neutralised, when the play goes down low and in the slot we are pretty thin pure offensive talent-wise. We lack a big body presence / big guy with quick hands in fron of the net. We lack a good playmaker in the corner or on the side (nope DD and Plekanec ain't the ones making highlight feeds on a game basis), the only thing we've got are two top quality Ds. But the ball needs to be in the forwards hands to make plays down low when they are covering shots from the point.

Habs are already using that strategy but they just FEINT to go down low and retry it to the D most of the time. But teams have adjusted. They know Habs rarely really go down low and ALWAYS cycle it to the point for a point shot. Like they'll pass it to DD on the side, Pacioretty in the corner, then back at DD, then to the D etc. I feel like the forwards and DD especially has to pass it to the Ds as it is a team strategy, it is the team's strategy. No creativity in front of the net whatsoever. PaP said in an interview that he's adjusting to Subban on the PP because he had never seen a guy shoot the puck like him, of course everyone's trying to feed Subban the A-bomb shot, they need to go back to a more simple game. Players are going to have to realises that everyone can take shots. And that's even worse when talking about DD and Pacioretty. They need to get it going and DD needs to be less predictible.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
From a shooters perspective that half wall is where you want to be.
In Max's case it isn't ideal because of the puck handling load.
I'd prefer Chucky takes that spot and run the PP from there.
Do we have the patience to let him develop that role probably not.
Our coach becomes very impatient when his plan A fails...
Keep in mind nothing will work if we don't move our feet and change angles...

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Hopefully the time at home and practice time will help it click tomorrow night. They probably had zero time to work on it given the preseason then the stupid calendar start they were handed. Should start to see improvements now that they actually can work on it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hopefully the time at home and practice time will help it click tomorrow night. They probably had zero time to work on it given the preseason then the stupid calendar start they were handed. Should start to see improvements now that they actually can work on it.

Agree, there is no magic PP formula.

-Need better zone entries if a dump is needed put it where it can be recovered
-Need better puck movement, crisp passes not intercepted, practice time will help here
-Need more player movement, can't have guys standing still, makes it easy to cut off passing lanes

Ideally you have PK and Pacioretty on their off wings and tell them to rip it when they get good looks. Teams have been trying to take away PK so use that to free up Markov or Pacioretty.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
But because a team makes the ECF it means the coach is great?

Okay bub...

No, but it means he got better results than 25 other coaches. Btw Scotty Bowman was on team 690 the other morning talking about the PP and how to fix it, and he talked about how well coached the Habs are. He gave some pretty solid praise to Therrien and the Habs coaching staff. The hate on Therrien is pretty much limited to these boards and it's the same with every coach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No, but it means he got better results than 25 other coaches. Btw Scotty Bowman was on team 690 the other morning talking about the PP and how to fix it, and he talked about how well coached the Habs are. He gave some pretty solid praise to Therrien and the Habs coaching staff. The hate on Therrien is pretty much limited to these boards and it's the same with every coach.
The people on these boards (at least some of us) are paying attention to what's happening in Montreal. We see the games every night and we are able to see what goes on beyond the final record. I don't care what Scotty Bowman said. I don't care what our record was. We didn't play well last year.

Now that's due to one of two things: Either we don't have that much talent on our roster or we aren't using the talent that we do have properly.

The PP is just a microcosm of what's going on with this team. We've got 2 PP Qbs, a 40 goal scorer and several other players with skill enough to put the puck in the net. So why is it that our club (after years of having great PP units) can't score anymore? Did our PP QBs suddenly stop having any skill? Can Max not score when he's only facing four guys? Come on man.

I'll say it AGAIN. Bottom third in shots for. Bottom third in shots against. Bottom third in goals. 19th in PP. Goaltending was fantastic and so was the PK (due in large part to goaltending.)

So how is it that we got where we did via great coaching again?

MT does the same thing on the PP that he does on 5 on 5. He plays favourites and puts inferior players in sheltered situations. Why he does this is beyond me but that's what he does. The fact that we're able to win despite this mind blowingingly stupid strategy isn't evidence of good coaching. It's evidence of a team that can overcome it's coach's incompetence.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
First and foremost Markov should stay at the blueline. He seem to constantly go up the boards and that leaves PK alone at the blueline as the shooter. He's easily neutralized as a result.

How long has it been since PK could take good shots on net on the PP?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
First and foremost Markov should stay at the blueline. He seem to constantly go up the boards and that leaves PK alone at the blueline as the shooter. He's easily neutralized as a result.

How long has it been since PK could take good shots on net on the PP?

About the same time when they didn't set up any other plays

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
By the 10th game in the season they should've significantly change how they play their PPs. Expecting any adjustments on the fly at camp and beginning of the season is unrealistic. By the 10th game they will have had the time to practice and try different setups. So yes it's a knock on the team but this is not the time to panic.

At camp is exactly when they should've made adjusments. The PP was a sore point last season and in the playoffs (Except against Boston). They should've have come up with adjustments in the offseason and had the team practice it at camp.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At camp is exactly when they should've made adjusments. The PP was a sore point last season and in the playoffs (Except against Boston). They should've have come up with adjustments in the offseason and had the team practice it at camp.
MT doesn't make adjustments. It's only when the team absolutely craters that we see this and even then it's only for a few games. Cube was a fixture on the 2nd unit last year. Didn't matter that our PP numbers sunk like a stone, there he was... Ditto with DD.

WTF is he DOING ON THE FIRST LINE UNIT? WHY IS HE THERE? WTF is wrong with our coach?

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
The people on these boards (at least some of us) are paying attention to what's happening in Montreal. We see the games every night and we are able to see what goes on beyond the final record. I don't care what Scotty Bowman said. I don't care what our record was. We didn't play well last year.

Now that's due to one of two things: Either we don't have that much talent on our roster or we aren't using the talent that we do have properly.

The PP is just a microcosm of what's going on with this team. We've got 2 PP Qbs, a 40 goal scorer and several other players with skill enough to put the puck in the net. So why is it that our club (after years of having great PP units) can't score anymore? Did our PP QBs suddenly stop having any skill? Can Max not score when he's only facing four guys? Come on man.

I'll say it AGAIN. Bottom third in shots for. Bottom third in shots against. Bottom third in goals. 19th in PP. Goaltending was fantastic and so was the PK (due in large part to goaltending.)

So how is it that we got where we did via great coaching again?

MT does the same thing on the PP that he does on 5 on 5. He plays favourites and puts inferior players in sheltered situations. Why he does this is beyond me but that's what he does. The fact that we're able to win despite this mind blowingingly stupid strategy isn't evidence of good coaching. It's evidence of a team that can overcome it's coach's incompetence.

Being a good coach doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement and you talk as thow MT is holding a remote control managing cyborgs. There are tons of factors that come into play and one you conveniently ignore ... players execution. As far as stats go you can make stats say whatever you want at the end of the day what matters in this business is results. Yes stats are indicators of area where you can improve, and the Habs definitely don't have a good PP. But they have a fantastic PK and are solid defensively. Look at how the team looks on the ice, look at the character they show (yes I know that's a catchphrase but the word still means a lot), look at how they stand up for each other etc. Look at young players we drafted and their development. Btw go look at L.A's offensive stats from the regular season last year. They were probably even worse than Montreal's. They won the Cup.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

You're right this isn't about the PP being bad for just the 4 games this season. This problem has been ongoing since the beginning of Dec last season and there hasn't been any improvement or adjustments to fix it. MT stubbornly seems to think the PP will magically start to work if he keeps throwing DD, Patch plus rotating winger on the 1st PP unit but it's been pretty much fail for months now.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
MT doesn't make adjustments. It's only when the team absolutely craters that we see this and even then it's only for a few games. Cube was a fixture on the 2nd unit last year. Didn't matter that our PP numbers sunk like a stone, there he was... Ditto with DD.

WTF is he DOING ON THE FIRST LINE UNIT? WHY IS HE THERE? WTF is wrong with our coach?

DD Bouillon Therrien, man don't you ever get tired of this same old song?

How can you possibly say he never makes adjustments when it was clearly his adjusting the lines against Washington that got the team back in the game. Ok maybe something else triggered the comeback, (thank you Prust and Moen for fighting back and sending a message at the end of the 2nd) but fact is he changed all 3 lines and the team came back and won. Yet you use he never makes adjustments as an argument? He did twice already 4 games into the season lol.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The paying fan has a pretty good idea when the PP sucks...
They notice in places like Nashville and Carolina, and Phoenix.
We are a good ten months in to sucking.
The players are expected to show up in good shape.
Can't we enroll our Coaches in Luminosity or something over the summer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Being a good coach doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement and you talk as thow MT is holding a remote control managing cyborgs. There are tons of factors that come into play and one you conveniently ignore ... players execution.
So MT has a great system but the players aren't executing on it? Is that why pretty much every player regressed across the board last year?
As far as stats go you can make stats say whatever you want at the end of the day what matters in this business is results.
Sure. And that's why MT has a job still. If it was about actual coaching performance though, he'd have been out on his ass a long time ago. His goalie gave him results and that's the only reason he's still employed.
Yes stats are indicators of area where you can improve, and the Habs definitely don't have a good PP. But they have a fantastic PK and are solid defensively. Look at how the team looks on the ice, look at the character they show (yes I know that's a catchphrase but the word still means a lot), look at how they stand up for each other etc. Look at young players we drafted and their development. Btw go look at L.A's offensive stats from the regular season last year. They were probably even worse than Montreal's. They won the Cup.
Okay let's look at LA vs Montreal for last year:

Shots For: LA 7th, Montreal 24th
Shots Against: LA 2nd, Montreal 22nd

Shot differential: LA +446, Montreal -211

Goals For: LA 26th, Montreal 21st
Goals Against: LA 1st, Montreal 8th

Goal Diff: LA +30, Montreal +8

Do you see the difference here? LA is outplaying it's opponents almost every night. They have control of the game. The puck didn't go in for them as much as it should, but they can compensate for it by getting tons of shots and not giving up shots themselves. Add it all up and they come out +657 shot differential than us over the course of last year. Why would it surprise you that they'd win the cup and we wouldn't?

We can get into Fenwick, Corsi and whatever... LA will beat the ever living crap out of Montreal. To keep it simple, I'm just showing you the shots.

It would be one thing if Montreal was generating a lot of shots and they just werent' going in or if we were limiting the shots and had great goals against but that's not the case. We put our goalies into a shooting gallery and gave them little offense to work with. Now either you believe that our roster was absolute crap and MT got the best out of them or we had a good roster and he got the worst.

Either way, this team didn't play well last year, our goalie did.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
DD Bouillon Therrien, man don't you ever get tired of this same old song?
Don't you get tired of defending it?

At what point do you wake up and say to yourself... "you know what, maybe LG is actually right on this. Maybe I should open up my eyes to the facts and stop defending a coach who isn't doing a good job." Instead you play the role of apologist.

Well good for you. Do it all you wish but don't come here and tell people to stop talking about what's wrong with our team when it's a freaking message board. If you don't want to read this, go to the 'sunshine and rainbows' section and talk about the glittery sky over there.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Meh, we all know what will happen. The PP will fix itself for the next few games as its bound to start scoring, the same familiar posters will say "see no problem"...even though it will go back to shooting blanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad