Fixing the Powerplay

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Here's some numbers for you:

0 in 14 this year
12 in 61 in the PO
0 in 23 to end the 13-14 season

So we are about 12.2%.....

We need to change the set-up, the game plan and the actors on the PP cause it's obviously not working at all.

Here's some numbers again:

Pacioretty scored only 1 goal on the PP in his last 40 NHL games.
Desharnais scored only 1 goal on the PP in his last 35 NHL games.
Gallagher scored only 1 goal on the PP in his last 32 NHL Games.

Those are the forwards Therrien sent the most night after night.

Last edited:

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Off the top of my head, Parenteau needs to stop forcing moronic plays. Subban needs to start getting pucks to the net. Once that's done, start grabbing loose pucks.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Put Eller in front of the net, two guys who can pass the puck around on the half wall and fire away. Nothing fancy, fire away from the D and crash the net looking for rebounds. That has to be more successful than what is happening now.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Go back to the drawing board and implement something new. It's actually incredibly obvious how dialed in teams are towards our PP setup.

Also, Therrien needs to start using dedicated power play lines. For example, as much as they may click at 5-on-5, Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher is not going to be a successful PP trio. We don't need a sniper, a playmaker, and a hard nosed grinder on the power play. We need a trio of guys who can actually put the puck in the net, and who can set things up. Try something new like Pacioretty-Plekanec-Galchenyuk. Work it down low, try and draw the opposing D and opposing winger into the corner, then either dish it to the front of the net, behind the net, or to Subban (or any defenseman) in the high slot for a shot. We need a system that gives our players more options with the puck, which penalizes the opposing teams defenders if they are to aggressive along the perimeter. Right now our forwards are getting attacked on the side boards, forced to make a bad pass back to the D, or are just getting stripped of the puck because of an aggressive penalty kill unit.

All we've been doing is cycling around the perimeter in hopes of getting a Subban bomb, which other teams are just too wise to now. All the opposing team has to do is 1. Have a guy on Subban at all times, and 2. pressure our wingers on the sideboards, box them in, strip the puck from our (always) stagnant flat footed wingers, and ice the puck. This happens every single power play, in almost the exact same way. It's painfully obvious, dating back to the start of last season. If it's broke, fix it. Its up to the coaching staff.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The first thing we should do is anything we haven't been doing in the past year.
We move more on our PK than on our PP not good...
Post Tinner up front for net presence. Go strictly with Plecky and Eller for 10 games or so.
The other twerps had a fair shot?
Something Anything I hate this coach just hate him...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
One problem is DD is not a shooting threat whatsoever so the defense can essentially play four on four and let Desharnais sit on the outside.

Add Pacioretty on the side boards just further allows him to be perimeter. Markovs ability to actually hit the net when he gets one timers has been a problem.

Mtl's biggest success has been when they had twin barrels at the blueline. Subban can't get a shot thru and Markov misses the net.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I think the Caps have one of the league's best powerplays (didnt check the stats, I just like their setup). They have plenty of options and there is always someone who is a threat no matter how the opposition chooses to defend.

As I stated in the GDT, I think we have the right guys to work a setup like the Caps.

Caps+PP+1_1b.png

8 = Subban, RH shot on the left side, does what Ovy's been doing for years, depending on the defensive coverage he can go up and down the left side.

52 = Marky, is at the top of the umbrella, is probably better at it than anyone the Caps have ever had. Only thing is the Caps have a RH shot there which is ideal but I'm sure Marky could make it work anyway

20 = Pacioretty, one time shot in the middle/high slot. Stays in the middle of the defensive box, forces the opposition to respect him and opens up space for everybody else, if they cheat give it to Max and he'll score more often than not. (Guy Boucher used Subban in that exact role in the world juniors)

19 = Pleky, manages the puck most of the time, does what Backstrom's been doing for a while now, feeds whoever is open, if no one is he can walk in and let it rip.

84 = Galchenyuk, whenever any of the other 4 guys are shooting he can screen the goalie, he can receive a pass from the guy on the half wall (19) and feed 20 or 8 across depending on what passing lane they are preventing. If they block both lanes to 20 and 8 he can walk in himself try the 5 hole and in a matter of seconds you have at least 3 guys crashing for the rebound.

I would maybe switch Plekanec and Galchenyuk depending on who's better on the half wall.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
PP 101 Quizz

Q1: If you have one player that's 6'2, one that's 5'8 and one that's 5'6, which one should act as a screen for the 6'7 goalie?

A1: Ask to get Gionta back from Buffalo.

(Fail-your PP sucks)

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Pleks isn't really a pass to the winger kind of guy. Neither is DD if it isn't patches. Gallys goal was all on his own with some d assists. Pleks tries to do it all on his own. Watch his game, rarely does a pass unless its to the point. Coming around the net, you can bet dollars to donuts he is going to shut even on the PP.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We've become far too stagnate and predictable. I think four forwards and Subban on the first unit would be a way of bucking the trend. I would actually consider moving Desharnais to the point. He's not a shooting threat, but will make plays to Subban. And let's face it, Therrien is never going to pull him off the powerplay. So this may be an acceptable solution. PAP is another option who may work given his stellar passing.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Desharnais/PAP - Subban

If Galchenyuk struggles on the dot, let Desharnais take them or swap in Plekanec.

Bourque - Plekanec - Desharnais/PAP/Eller
Markov - Beaulieu

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Last season, some articles mentioned all three assistant were working in concert with the coach on the PP... One assistant's left, another replaced him behind the bench... The last time the Habs PP had real success it had an identifiable face. The buck stopped with Muller. If the PP failed or succeeded it was on Muller. Which assistant is that guy now? Or is there some kind of grassroot democracy between the 3 assistants?

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
PP 101 Quizz

Q1: If you have one player that's 6'2, one that's 5'8 and one that's 5'6, which one should act as a screen for the 6'7 goalie?

A1: Ask to get Gionta back from Buffalo.

(Fail-your PP sucks)

First thing is to have soneone in front of the frigging net! There

Is never anyone there.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Imo, Markov-Subban is probably the best duo in the NHL for the PP, which consequently shows how bad our forwards really are on the PP.

DD is useless on the PP, he is ruining everything, I am not even joking. His plays are to obvious, he can't shoot the puck, so the only thing he is doing is passing the puck to whoever is open left or right.

Pacc is not really great also on the PP. He doesn't really seem to know where to position himself. He scores most of his goals when he can use is speed effectively, but in stationary position and in tight area Pacc is kind of bad.

The best one of the 3 is Gallagher, because is willing to do the dirty work in front of the net. He is annoying for the opposite team, but the thing is... he is 5'08, he can't block the view of goalies.

The second wave is pretty bad also, we are endlessly cycling the puck, looking to setup the perfect play... which will never happen... because no one is able to take a one-timer except for Subban. Other teams have figure that out, so there is always someone who is covering Subban or at least his lane of shot.

Plus, when Gilbert and Beaulieu are on the ice, we have a 0% chance to score a goal. Beaulieu is overrated imo or at least lack confidence particularly on the PP. Gilbert has almost no hockey sense.
Emelin is a little bit better, because at least he can take a one-timer.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Imo, Markov-Subban is probably the best duo in the NHL for the PP, which consequently shows how bad our forwards really are on the PP.

DD is useless on the PP, he is ruining everything, I am not even joking. His plays are to obvious, he can't shoot the puck, so the only thing he is doing is passing the puck to whoever is open left or right.

Pacc is not really great also on the PP. He doesn't really seem to know where to position himself. He scores most of his goals when he can use is speed effectively, but in stationary position and in tight area Pacc is kind of bad.

The best one of the 3 is Gallagher, because is willing to do the dirty work in front of the net. He is annoying for the opposite team, but the thing is... he is 5'08, he can't block the view of goalies.

The second wave is pretty bad also, we are endlessly cycling the puck, looking to setup the perfect play... which will never happen... because no one is able to take a one-timer except for Subban. Other teams have figure that out, so there is always someone who is covering Subban or at least his lane of shot.

Plus, when Gilbert and Beaulieu are on the ice, we have a 0% chance to score a goal. Beaulieu is overrated imo or at least lack confidence particularly on the PP. Gilbert has almost no hockey sense.
Emelin is a little bit better, because at least he can take a one-timer.

I agree with a big part of this.

Our first strategy is the Point shot, but how in the hell we could be good at it with Gallagher and Desharnais (2 smallest players on that team) in front of the net.

Point shot = Big body in front of the net.

But then again, i looked at number lately and one giant problem on the PP and of the PP is having DD with Pacioretty. They became very predictable.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Pacioretty doesn't know how to play against defenders that are actually competent at D unless it is Boston or Vancouver, and even Boston tends to lose their high quality defense at times. There is a reason 32 of his goals came against teams with shut D and/or goalies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Play the current 1st wave on the 2nd wave instead.

The players on the second wave are collectively so much better now it makes no sense forcing the first wave.

Then work on tactical tweeks. Whatever. Can't get much worse.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The first thing we should do is anything we haven't been doing in the past year.
We move more on our PK than on our PP not good...
Post Tinner up front for net presence. Go strictly with Plecky and Eller for 10 games or so.
The other twerps had a fair shot?
Something Anything I hate this coach just hate him...

Shooting sometimes helps, haven't been doing much of that lately on the PP

I'd def stick Tinordi or Eller in front of the net if only for some size and a different look

DD & Pacs - lather, rinse, repeat - time for a divorce of the bffs

Saw with TBay how Stamkos moves around changing the look and making it harder to defend, we did some of that last year before Vanek disappeared where we'd work the points then down low with a guy drifting between the slot, net and the face-off dot to keep the PK forwards honest and not cheating to the points

PK & Markov are only effective if they have some time and if they don't it means there's a free guy down low that we need to get the puck to - but right now they're all on the perimeter so they're no longer a scoring threat

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Last season, some articles mentioned all three assistant were working in concert with the coach on the PP... One assistant's left, another replaced him behind the bench... The last time the Habs PP had real success it had an identifiable face. The buck stopped with Muller. If the PP failed or succeeded it was on Muller. Which assistant is that guy now? Or is there some kind of grassroot democracy between the 3 assistants?

You've hit the nail on the head!...

Our powerplay is run like MLSE. :laugh::laugh:

DailyKaizen

One particular thing that I would like to see on the PP is a right handed shooter on his off-wing snapping them in a la Stamkos/Ovechkin...in the "half-wall" / face off dot / high slot area...

I like many of the suggestions brought forward by our fellow fans.

I would also like to see Rene Bourque empowered, entrusted in the role of standing in front of the net....he has the size and pretty much a interesting set of tools to perhaps thrive in that role...he has size...strength...

Finally...as it has been suggested before...we could also use PK like he was used in the WJC...he seem quite effective in that sort of soccer style free role...to menace the opposition...often it was him standing in the slot or in front of the net...

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
That's what I was thinking while reading your post. They could also cycle between those positions as they're pretty good on the cycle.

Good post.

Yes, it's even better to have two guys who can cycle that position, the caps don't have that with Ward (I think it's him right now), we could.

The Flyers use a very similar setup too only on the opposite board and they're having a lot of success with it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad