Five Bold Avalanche Predictions

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Didn't see a proper thread for my latest little piece I whipped up this morning, so decided to start a thread for it.

With the season starting tonight, I decided to come up with Five Bold Avalanche Predictions for this year.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/10/five-bold-avalanche-predictions-for.html

The Colorado Avalanche kick off the 2014-15 NHL season tonight as they meet the Wild in Minnesota, the team who knocked them out of the 2014 NHL Playoffs. The two team’s will also meet on Saturday night in Denver in Colorado’s home opener.

It’s an exciting time of year for the fans of all 30 NHL clubs, as most are optimistic about making the playoffs and possibly making a run at the Stanley Cup. For the less optimistic fans, there is also the 2015 NHL Draft to be looking forward to. It’s a deep crop of prospects this year, headlined by a pair of franchise players in Jack Eichel and future number one pick Connor McDavid.

To help prepare for the puck drop on Colorado’s season I’ve decided to come up with five bold Avalanche predictions for 2014-15:

1. Two Avs will hit the 30-goal plateau. This might not seem that bold, but it kind of is based on recent Avalanche results. No player has scored 30 goals for this team over the past 8 seasons. The last time it happened was in 2006-07 when Joe Sakic (36 goals) and Milan Hejduk (35 goals) both eclipsed the mark. So who will accomplish it this year? There are obviously a lot of candidates. Ryan O’Reilly led the team with 28 last year, Gabriel Landeskog had 26, rookie Nathan MacKinnon had 24, while Canadian Olympian Matt Duchene had 23 while missing 11 games due to injury. The team also added Jarome Iginla in the summer, a player who has reached 30 goals in each of his past 13 full NHL seasons. This year I think Jarome makes it 14 straight 30 goal years, while MacKinnon also reaches the mark.

2. Reto Berra proves to be a competent backup. Yes, based on last year’s play, this prediction seems very bold. It’s no secret that he was flat out bad for Colorado after the Avalanche acquired him from Calgary last season. Not only that, but he was average, at best, for the Flames before the deal, too. Obviously Patrick Roy saw something in the athletic 6’4 goalie from Switzerland. When asked recently what Berra needed in his game going forward, Roy said it was confidence. He should have a bit more of that after a very solid pre-season in the Colorado cage, while also getting his tires pumped by his teammates and management throughout the past month. While I don’t think he’ll elevate his game to the level of an elite backup, I think fans should be thrilled if he can get his save percentage up above .910.

3. Zach Redmond will end up as the team’s 4th “most valuable†defenceman. Not much has been made about the free-agent signing of Zach Redmond. While the acquisition and extension of Brad Stuart has been widely publicized (and fairly criticized, in my opinion) the Redmond pickup seems like a nice little sleeper grab by Joe Sakic and his team of scouts. Redmond produced quite well in his minimal NHL experience last year, while also putting together a great AHL playoff run with St. John’s. He was signed by Colorado this summer and proceeded to have a great camp. While I say he had a great camp, he still looks to be one of the two odd-men out on the current defensive depth chart. The team is carrying 8 defencemen with Redmond and Ryan Wilson apparently being the two scratches for tonight’s season opener. While that’s the case right now, I think he’ll eventually play his way up that depth chart once he gets his shot. And while my bold prediction states he’ll be among the team’s top 4 most valuable defenders, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll play top 4 minutes, at least barring injury. Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie headline the team’s defensive core, with veterans Jan Hejda and Stuart both expected to lead in a variety of ways. You also have a guy like Nick Holden, who burst onto the scene last year after he was expected to be a simple AHL depth signing. In this prediction I just think the team will get value out of Redmond’s 17 or 18 minutes a night when compared to what Stuart, Hejda and Holden bring in their 19 or 20 minutes a night. He’s big, he shoots hard, he skates well. If he can limit turnovers and just play average defence, he’ll be a very nice fit for the Avalanche this year. If it wasn’t for already having Johnson and Barrie down the right-hand side, I could see there being an argument that he should be seeing second-pairing opportunities by the mid-point of this season.

4. Joey Hishon will earn a late-season callup and fit in just fine. It’s been a long road for the former Avalanche 1st round pick. After years of concussion issues, he was finally healthy last year and put together a solid season. He then stepped into Colorado’s playoff lineup and didn’t look out of place. He followed that up with a good pre-season, good enough that he probably could have made the opening night roster. Instead, the team opted to take the slow and steady route with him, keeping big winger Dennis Everberg instead. At the end of the day, my bold prediction is that Hishon stays healthy and plays very well in the AHL, culminating with a callup to Colorado in the second half of the season. At that point in time, he’ll slide right into the lineup and never look back. I’ll also mention that I still think his future in the NHL will be on the wing, not at centre.

5. Nathan MacKinnon has an 80 point season and leads the team in scoring. This once again might not seem like that bold of a prediction, considering he had 63 in his rookie year. How hard could it be to add 17 more points in his second season? Well, you have to realize that only 7 players in the NHL had 80 or more points last year. Players like Alex Ovechkin, Jamie Benn, Evgeni Malkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Anze Kopitar didn’t even reach this mark. So, 80 points is kind of a big deal. I think we’ll see him get up to around 32 or 33 goals, adding nearly 50 assists, finishing top 10 in the NHL’s scoring race. Matt Duchene and MacKinnon should go toe-to-toe in the team scoring race all season, with Duchene finishing last year with an 80+ point pace before injury. This will be a fun storyline to watch, with these two stars being arguably the biggest bright spot this team has going for it over the next 5-10 years.

So aside from these predictions, what are my overall standing expectations for Colorado this year? First of all, put me in the group of people that is expecting some form of regression from the Avalanche. I know, I know, Corsi-this and Fenwick-that, but at the end of the day it’s not news to anyone that this team greatly exceeded expectations last year.

They didn’t play like a division-winning club, even though the results showed that they were.

With that being said, that doesn’t mean I think they will be a “worse†team than last year. Ultimately I think they have improved their forward depth (not as much as I would have liked, mind you) and their defensive group is definitely deeper than it was last year. While the loss of Paul Stastny is huge (due to him eating hard minutes against other big Western Conference centres) I think the improvement of the team’s young players will help curtail a big chunk of the expected regression. While I expect to see some minor drop off in Semyon Varlamov’s save-percentage this year, I think he’ll continue to justify his standing as a top 5-7 goalie in the NHL.

At the end of the day I think Colorado is a team that sneaks into the playoffs and gives a team a run for their money in the first round. Because at that point they’ll be a team that will be going in with fewer expectations and more experience than they had last year.

What are your five bold predictions?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
1. Stuart will be a very solid player this year. He won't play like a true top pairing and there will be mistakes, but he will play at a higher level than Hejda did last season.

2. Barrie hits 55 points, and gets minor Norris consideration (won't be deserved, but we all know that award is more about offensive numbers than anything else at this point).

3. Landy has a point per game season.

4. During the 2nd half of the season Siemens establishes himself in the NHL.

5. Hejda is traded, and people actually like the trade.... that might be too bold.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
1. EJ finally get league wide respect
2. Berra and Varlamov have similar .923 save percentages
3. Jamie McGinn scores 25 goals
4. Landeskog scores 15 power play points
5. Avs are undefeated in the shootout this season

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
1) Landeskog fights 4 times this season, as he starts to become the Swedish Jarome Iginla. On the fighting predicition, MacKinnon fights one of the Blues big 3 defencemen (Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo/Bouw).

2) Tyson Barrie only gets 30 points. Meanwhile Holden almost gets 40 points.

3) Avs trade for another winger and roll 3 scoring lines with MacKinnon-Duchene-O'Reilly being the centers.

4) Berra has a save percentage almost identical to Varlamov's. (Damn you, Freudian.) O'Reilly has to get shoulder surgery and misses March onwards.

5) MacKinnon and Duchene both have over a 1.00 ppg pace.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
1. EJ finally get league wide respect

Impossible. This is not just bold, it's ridiculous. :sarcasm:

Honestly, I don't think I can make any 'bold' predictions given last year. The boldest prediction would be that we actually repeat our success from last year and see minor progress from everyone.

So I suppose my predictions:

1. No team-wide regression (Standings does not equate to regression)
2. None of our stars/core regress individually
3. Our possession numbers improve drastically in terms of time spent with the puck, not in terms of Corsi. Meaning we spend less time chasing it down and getting worn out in our own zone this year, more time controlling it through the neutral zone and generally dictating the pace of the game.
4. Barrie has a 50+ point season (this is bold, but I believe it).
5. Varly gets injured for 10+ games and Berra holds the fort.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
Super Bold Predictions:

1. EJ is a Norris Finalist
2. Mack leads the team in goals/points
3. Varlamov is back to back Vezina Finalist
4. The Avs get out of the first round of the playoffs
5. Hishon solidifies himself on the 3rd line by the 2nd half of the season.

:sarcasm:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
1. ROR plays centre all season long.

2. EJ will lead the D in points.

3. Varly will miss some significant time, Berra starts strong but falters a half-dozen games in, one of our AHL goalies gets some decent games in.

4. They will make 4 trades, 2 AHL-depth deals and 2 NHL deals (one involving draft pick)

5. Iginla doesn't score 30, and people start to panic and turn on him, pining for Staz.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
1 - Our team defense improves and we allow an average of 4-5 fewer shots per game even though Roy said it doesn't matter.

2 - Nick Holden rivals EJ for team leading ice time among skaters.

3 - ROR matches or has just below his point total from last year, which makes him want to wait until the end of the following season to negotiate a contract so he can prove that he is still getting better.

4 - Tanguay plays nearly a fully healthy season, >70 games and is healthy for the playoffs.

5 - HF peeps will stop complaining about Stuart and Berra by the mid-point of the season and will concentrate on one scapegoat. My guess is Cliche as he overstays his welcome when others return from IR.

Vincek40

Mar 21, 2007
Winnipeg
1) Holden leads the D in points with 13 goals and 33 assists

2) Berra looks terrible in his first 2 games, but then posts shutouts in his next 2.

3) Stuart will continue lining people up at the blue line, but will end up hitting Tanguay by accident, sending him to the IR.

4) Varlamov will finish the year with more points then Guenin

5) Hejda and Hishon traded for an average D at the deadline that everyone hates, but he ends up surprising in the playoffs when he lead the team in points.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
1. Varly wins the vezina
2. Duchene finishes top 5 in league scoring
3. Iginla isn't his usualy iron man and only plays 15-25 games
4. Tanguay becomes the new iron man and plays 78+
5. Avs go undefeated against St. Louis this year but go winless against Chicago.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
1 - Berra will prove to be a competant game here-game there backup but not one who could play in place of an injured starter for a lengthy stretch.

2 - Guenin will prove his worth playing with Hejda and the two will be a good defensive pairing on the PK and at regular strength

3 - Dater will get fired/removed from the Avs beat after a heated exchange with Stastny supporters who keep pointing out how he is outscoring Iginla and Briere combined.

4 - Tanguay will play over 41 games

5 - MacKinnon will have at least 5 fights by season's end.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
1 - Berra will prove to be a competant game here-game there backup but not one who could play in place of an injured starter for a lengthy stretch.

2 - Guenin will prove his worth playing with Hejda and the two will be a good defensive pairing on the PK and at regular strength

3 - Dater will get fired/removed from the Avs beat after a heated exchange with Stastny supporters who keep pointing out how he is outscoring Iginla and Briere combined.

4 - Tanguay will play over 41 games

5 - MacKinnon will have at least 5 fights by season's end.

Dater will probably be the one pointing this information out to us fans

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
1. Briere spends most of the season in the top 6 due to injuries
2. Berra wins 15 games
3. Holden will be EJ's partner by the end of the season
4. Rendulic will be the callup that sees the most games
5. Landy leads the team in scoring, MacKinnon leads in goals (if healthy)

Btw, yes MacK is absolutely throwing down this season.

Bonus: there will be no trades despite over 50k posts devoted to ridiculous trade rumors.

Last edited:

Lemieux22

Jul 30, 2005
1) Avs make playoffs and finally win a round, but get taken out in 5 games round 2. Lack of D gets exposed.
2) Siemens plays 30 ish games as a call up after injuries hit and impresses. He's the no 6/7 in the playoffs, setting himself up for a bigger role next year
3) Iggy plays just as good as he did in Boston, only injuries start to catch up with him and he plays 60ish games. Tanguay also fights nagging injuries and misses 20 games. As a result they struggle to find solid linemates for Duchene all year
4) Stuart plays really well most of the time, but saves his f'ups for important situations - bad turnovers or penalties at crunch time in big games. He becomes a huge whipping boy, but Roy keeps him with EJ all season
5) We trade one of our highly prized 2015 draft picks as part of a package for a weird reclamation project. Everyone hates it, whining about massive overpayment. Something like Hejda, a 2nd and a prospect for Adam Larrson or Hejda and our #1 for Kulikov and Quebec Rempart alumn Logan Shaw.

Last edited:

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Bold predictions, eh?

1. Duchene has a monster 90pt season. 28g-62a
2. Varly has 8+ shutouts (always so frustrating last year seeing the Avs give up the shutout late in the third)
3. MacKinnon leads the team with 36g
4. Cliche scores 6 goals, 2 GWG.
5. ROR signs long term by the trade deadline.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
1. Duchene and MacKinnon both score at over a ppg rate but are injured for major sections of the season.
2. Varly hold form and gets Vezina considerations once again.
3. The much lamented defense ranks top 10 in the league.
4. Nick Holden will have a breakout year and be considered the new Barrie.
5. Briere has a terrible regular season, becoming our scapegoat only to have a fantastic playoffs in which the Avs make a Western conference finals run.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Not too bold but predictions:

1. Duchene is our best player this season and is over a PPG.
2. EJ solidifies himself as a #1 and top 10 D.
3. Varlamov remains elite and is a Vezina finalist again.
4. Barrie is underwhelming but Stuart is a pleasant surprise.
5. Mackinnon plays better than last year but Landeskog is the real star on his line with his best season yet.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
1. Berra will not only prove to be a competent back-up, but he will beat out Varlamov for the number 1 spot.

2. Mackinnon will be Top-3 scorer in the league, only behind Crosby and Stamkos.

3. Duncan Siemens will be in the top-4 by the end of the season.

4. Landeskog will score 40 goals.

5. Avs will go undefeated against St. Louis and Mackinnon will knock-out David Backes in a fight.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
1. Cooke turtles to Barrie
2. MacKinnon drops Backes
3. ROR wins Selke, leads team in scoring
4. Double digit shutouts (combined)
5. Lose to ANA in WCF

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mack scores 40

Avs trade for Staal at the deadline amidst a bidding war (McGinn, Siemens, and a conditional 2016 1st) and signs a 6x6 within a few days

Rendulic becomes a great story and a fixture on the 3rd line

Varly wins the Vezina

Avs lose in WCF to the Ducks in a passionate 7 game series

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
1. Avs miss the playoffs. :(

2. Varly plays less than 25 games.

3. Mackinnon finishes in the top five in scoring.

4. Brad Stuart is one of the worst players in the NHL. His total inability to move the puck out gets the Avs stuck in their own zone a lot.

5. Iggy goes for 30

Bonus: Landeskog plays less than 50 games.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
1) Briere scores 50

2) Briere wins the Hart.

3) Briere wins the Selke.

4) Briere wins the Norris.

5) **** it. Briere wins the Vezina.

You said bold predictions.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
1. Avs miss the playoffs. :(

2. Varly plays less than 25 games.

3. Mackinnon finishes in the top five in scoring.

4. Brad Stuart is one of the worst players in the NHL. His total inability to move the puck out gets the Avs stuck in their own zone a lot.

5. Iggy goes for 30

Bonus: Landeskog plays less than 50 games.

Mods, where the hell is the ban hammer.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
1) Avs run with ROR, Duch, and Mack at C

2) Briere has a huge offensive year playing with Duchene

3) Barrie barely cracks 30 pts

4) EJ will have the worst plus/minus

5) Duch with hit 40 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad