Five AJHL teams to join BCHL?

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Evidence suggests otherwise.

The Bandits let slip that is wasn't supposed to be announced until 1 May that the rebel teams f***ed up.

The AJHL is justified in feeling the teams are acting in bad faith as this is a textbook example.

You should be asking who in the BCHL PR staff was getting their rocks off.
Where do you see about the May 1st date?

It is very likely that they actually just finishing agreeing to terms and announced it right after, versus it was already all set and they randomly decided to do the press release for no reason. They have been ironing this deal out for a long time.

FrozenPonds

Feb 12, 2023
"The Alberta 5" haven't jumped ship! They are all committed to playing out the season with the AJHL. It was the AJHL for whatever reason who decided to cancel the games of members in good standing.

No different than Washington, Southern Cal, UCLA and Oregon leaving the PAC12 for the Big10. Those teams let it be known last season that they were moving effective next year. Their games were not cancelled and they represented their respective conferences in their Bowl Games.

You really need to understand the organization we have in Canada the governs the sport. They are a vindictive and spiteful organization who believe that they have the master plan and it is the right plan..NO EXCEPTIONS!

The type of action by the AJHL would not be tolerated south of the border. The 5 teams have done absolutely nothing wrong. This move was effective for next season...not immediately! So the talk about jumping mid-season isn't accurate at all!

Either Hockey Canada has been caught off guard or their blind arrogance is worse than I previously interpreted....and I knew about a few teams last year! I actually had a call with a contact out there who was wondering why they were not included..patience my friend, patience!!

Reactions: wetcoast

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
"The Alberta 5" haven't jumped ship! They are all committed to playing out the season with the AJHL. It was the AJHL for whatever reason who decided to cancel the games of members in good standing.

No different than Washington, Southern Cal, UCLA and Oregon leaving the PAC12 for the Big10. Those teams let it be known last season that they were moving effective next year. Their games were not cancelled and they represented their respective conferences in their Bowl Games.

You really need to understand the organization we have in Canada the governs the sport. They are a vindictive and spiteful organization who believe that they have the master plan and it is the right plan..NO EXCEPTIONS!

The type of action by the AJHL would not be tolerated south of the border. The 5 teams have done absolutely nothing wrong. This move was effective for next season...not immediately! So the talk about jumping mid-season isn't accurate at all!

Either Hockey Canada has been caught off guard or their blind arrogance is worse than I previously interpreted....and I knew about a few teams last year! I actually had a call with a contact out there who was wondering why they were not included..patience my friend, patience!!
Word I’m hearing is that the other 11 teams are refusing to play them. Doesn’t make it right but the backlash may be from their peers.

Reactions: Roadhog

FrozenPonds

Feb 12, 2023
Word I’m hearing is that the other 11 teams are refusing to play them. Doesn’t make it right but the backlash may be from their peers.
Whether or not that is the case is irrelevant. Those teams are governed by a league and need to abide by the Constitution. I believe that there are Hockey Canada penalties for teams who refuse to play. Now, it has been done in the past because of "safety issues" as one team was really physical, but again..out of spite?

I am curious to see how this all plays out.

There is word that a league in Ontario is announcing that they are leaving the OHF/HC next year and that announcement could be as early as this evening!

• Wow
Reactions: jetsmooseice

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Whether or not that is the case is irrelevant. Those teams are governed by a league and need to abide by the Constitution. I believe that there are Hockey Canada penalties for teams who refuse to play. Now, it has been done in the past because of "safety issues" as one team was really physical, but again..out of spite?

I am curious to see how this all plays out.

There is word that a league in Ontario is announcing that they are leaving the OHF/HC next year and that announcement could be as early as this evening!
The relevancy is your post was pretty clear the AJHL is canceling gAmes. I was just providing additional info that it doesn’t sound like the league is acting unilaterally here and the rest of the teams are pushing back.

I don’t disagree that it appears out of spite but I guess there could be some other concerns at hand such as with them leaving the hockey Canada envelope things like sanctions and suspensions don’t mean much to the players and coaches. Thus as the season wears on this could feel like a risk. Seems like a long shot but I’m just throwing a scenario out there.

At the end of the day nobody comes off looking particularly good here.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I feel like I'm on an island in placing the blame solely on the five teams leaving and not the AJHL.

These teams tried to keep this under wraps, only to yank the rug out from underneath the AJHL after the season was over. Brooks wanted to win the league, win the Centennial Cup, and THEN bolt for "greener pastures."

How can you possibly blame the AJHL for not being ok with that? This is a perfect example of 'you can't have your cake and eat it too.'

Now with this whole CHL/NCAA stuff that's floating around? These teams may have just exponentially increased their travel costs for no reason. Excuse me while I look for my tiny violin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's funny I just looked up some stats and each players individual stats come up on the hockey db site but when you click on the team site for the AJHL it comes up blank, I wonder why...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad