Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Opera Snapshot_2024-01-19_190309_twitter.com.png

https://x.com/worldhockeyrpt/status/1748487012452102350?s=20

https://x.com/Menzies_4/status/1748486102787436780?s=20

Opera Snapshot_2024-01-19_190428_twitter.com.png

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Makes a lot of sense from both sides. Trying to create a challenger to the USHL. I think the stat I heard for alumni by league was something like USHL=900-1000, NAHL 500, BCHL 300-400, and AJHL 100-150. There's obviously a ton of overlap between the leagues but those were the general numbers I remember seeing

Reactions: wetcoast

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Bring Cash hockey league. Seems like big money BC parents swinging their weight around.

Sure, BCHL gets a few top end players to NCAA, but let's not pretend any of the top 10 teams in any other top CJHL leagues couldn't beat each other any night. AJHL, SJHL, OJHL, etc..

Once the new KIJHL teams improve to a par level, bchl will not be as strong overall IMO.

I think this actually dilutes the BC talent pool more then if they didn't move over the next 5-10 years.

Same weird stuff SFU does with their two teams and NCAA exhbition travel team they have composed of random junior a players. Obviously NCAA isn't as good as it thinks it is if they just tied BU.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
I see a rumor floating around the VIJHL is trying to leave Hockey Canada to become a feeder league for the BCHL. Anyone have anything on this?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Same weird stuff SFU does with their two teams and NCAA exhbition travel team they have composed of random junior a players. Obviously NCAA isn't as good as it thinks it is if they just tied BU.
Trying to discredit the NCAA for a BU tie vs SFU at a scrimmage when BU was without a bunch of players at the WJC and gave a bunch of kids minutes who don’t play games is a stretch. BU this year is an enigma in itself anyways, they’re ranked #1 in the country but lost to the NTDP 8-2. I wouldn’t give much credit to an exhibition without a full roster giving bench players a ton of minutes all that much credence. This is coming from someone who despises BU

Reactions: Roadhog and DoyleG

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Hmm…why would they want to do that, and where would they go?

Merritt is having issues as they haven't had the bounce for attendance, but costing them to bring players in to play (the team roster on the BCHL site looks like a majority of international players).

Powell River is in the same position financially and they have to deal with bigger transport issues (they need to take a ferry the Vancouver Island to do any decent road travel.)

Reactions: Roadhog

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Bring Cash hockey league. Seems like big money BC parents swinging their weight around.

Sure, BCHL gets a few top end players to NCAA, but let's not pretend any of the top 10 teams in any other top CJHL leagues couldn't beat each other any night. AJHL, SJHL, OJHL, etc..

Once the new KIJHL teams improve to a par level, bchl will not be as strong overall IMO.

I think this actually dilutes the BC talent pool more then if they didn't move over the next 5-10 years.

the NCAA is very strong. That statement alone discredits anything you say

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
With the AJHL canceling a bunch of games of teams leaving, have to wonder what that’ll mean for the rest of their season. If they do ban them, I hope they play out the rest of their games together in the regular season and the BCHL reworks their playoffs for them to enter. No idea how they could do it but no one wants to see a bunch of kids lose their seasons because of an organizational beef

FrozenPonds

Feb 12, 2023
I was told last you from a friend in the west after the purchase of the Winnipeg Ice that the BCHL was trying to determine what to do with several franchises who didn't meet the minimum operating standards of the league.

So my guess is its a combination of the teams wanting to leave and the BCHL wanting to show them the door!

FYI....nobody has come close to Brooks in the Centennial Cup over the last few years that they have dominated. The closest game was the final against Pickering I believe and there was talk that Brooks ease up on the gas pedal in that game.

Reactions: JMCx4

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
BCHL power move. Other shoe drops now. Another Hockey Canada victim. So the start of a western based tier 1 WHL competitor? US and Canadian Divisions. WHL farm system? Have to assume the BC and AB comish's don't swap christmas cards. To do it mid season and OUT OF THE BLUE? That takes a top salesman.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

FrozenPonds

Feb 12, 2023
This has been in the works since last year. Not really out of the blue. But I will say this...the Okotoks thing is a real punch to the stomach for HC and the CJHL!! LMAO

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
FYI....nobody has come close to Brooks in the Centennial Cup over the last few years that they have dominated. The closest game was the final against Pickering I believe and there was talk that Brooks ease up on the gas pedal in that game.
Brooks won that game 4-1, and the shots were 44-11, though Brooks did trail 1-0 at one point.

While relatively close on the scoreboard, it really wasn't.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Why is there so much praise for using and supporting the American education system? Never understood that.
Sports brings in a lot of cash to the the US system. When you can afford a 6 7 8 figure pay day to a coach a full 4 year uni school ride is no problem to hand out. Better education? prob not but Americans brand everything so much better.

Last edited:

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Why is there so much praise for using and supporting the American education system? Never understood that.
Rich BC parents.

Another observation. At the midget AAA level, Alberta and Sask are known as the best, sask MAAA being the top in the country over the last 25 years. Lots of Macs/National champions/participants.

Seeing as those are pretty much all the Junior A players in those provinces, how is it that the BCHL is magically better a year later? I've never bought into it IMO.

On a quick wiki count SMAAAHL has an almost 50% appearance rate in the gold/siver/bronze at the national championship since 1999. Alberta is next closest, one of three teams out of Quebec next. only 2-3 BC apperances.

Even more interesting is

The SJHL has nearly has 50% apperances in the final from 99-2018 in the centennial cup

Would be interesting to go through the top 15 week to week/month to month over the last 20 years for a better comparison.

There's no difference outside the top 4-5 players the BCHL puts in the NCAA. BCHL might not even be the best overall. statically it isn't.

Last edited:

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Merritt is having issues as they haven't had the bounce for attendance, but costing them to bring players in to play (the team roster on the BCHL site looks like a majority of international players).

Powell River is in the same position financially and they have to deal with bigger transport issues (they need to take a ferry the Vancouver Island to do any decent road travel.)
I talked to the GM of a KIJHL team recently. Sounds like the richer teams will try to make a go of it as a proper Junior A league, while the rest will drop back down to Junior B. That new Junior A league will probably end up home for teams like Merritt and Powell River if they can't keep up with the likes of Penticton.

It will be interesting to see it all play out over the next few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
With the AJHL canceling a bunch of games of teams leaving, have to wonder what that’ll mean for the rest of their season. If they do ban them, I hope they play out the rest of their games together in the regular season and the BCHL reworks their playoffs for them to enter. No idea how they could do it but no one wants to see a bunch of kids lose their seasons because of an organizational beef
Ya this is so woerd that it's happeneing mid season.

I can see in the off season but man sounds like early 1900 stuff here.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Does the AJHL charge players to play ? That was one of the Hockey Canada exits that the BCHL said would eliminate by * dates escapes. Yes looks vindictive on AJHL to drop kick 120+ kids from those 5 teams and maybe couple hundred more if they cancel the whole season, Why not play out the season at least - finish strong. Maybe bad mgt is why the 5 teams decided to leave.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Ya this is so woerd that it's happeneing mid season.

I can see in the off season but man sounds like early 1900 stuff here.

It's pretty bush league if you ask me. It leaves so many players, fans, in some cases entire communities in places where junior A is big, totally in the lurch.

I don't think anyone begrudges the rebel AJHL teams the opportunity to jump ship, but doing it in the middle of the season without a compelling reason just looks bad on them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's pretty bush league if you ask me. It leaves so many players, fans, in some cases entire communities in places where junior A is big, totally in the lurch.

I don't think anyone begrudges the rebel AJHL teams the opportunity to jump ship, but doing it in the middle of the season without a compelling reason just looks bad on them.
Ya it's a really bad look and seems extremely unprofessional.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

Well this is a huge deal, and something both sides probably worked hard on for awhile, they finally found feasible terms, and wanted to lock it in as soon as possible. Then after that is done, you can't just not announce it until off-season, you have to be transparent.

The teams would have left regardless by next season, but you can't blame those parties for being diligent and not wanting to waste many months of season time not ironing things out, just because the season is in play.

It is on the AJHL for cancelling games, all of those teams are still in the AJHL until the end of the season.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Well this is a huge deal, and something both sides probably worked hard on for awhile, they finally found feasible terms, and wanted to lock it in as soon as possible. Then after that is done, you can't just not announce it until off-season, you have to be transparent.

The teams would have left regardless by next season, but you can't blame those parties for being diligent and not wanting to waste many months of season time not ironing things out, just because the season is in play.

It is on the AJHL for cancelling games, all of those teams are still in the AJHL until the end of the season.

Evidence suggests otherwise.

The Bandits let slip that is wasn't supposed to be announced until 1 May that the rebel teams f***ed up.

The AJHL is justified in feeling the teams are acting in bad faith as this is a textbook example.

You should be asking who in the BCHL PR staff was getting their rocks off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad