Confirmed with Link: Fitz signs multi year extension as GM, promoted to president of hockey operations

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Can they leak Tom’s PPP before he got extended?

“And these lines show the crazy hot/scale, the crazier Lindy’s line up choices are,
the hotter the fans get under the collar. This all part of the ‘Vanquish Vitek’ plan detailed in slide #27…”

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
I just need to hear him acknowledge this season's short comings (not injuries and goaltending) and then I'll be fine with this move/promotion whatever this is.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Serious question: I always assumed that the GM ran all of the "hockey operations". What is the difference between these two titles?
I think it’s the president of hockey ops that is really the person in charge.

We didn’t actually have a president of hockey ops title though, not every team does.

I’m pretty sure we haven’t had a president of hockey ops title since Lou?

Reactions: mdj12784

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Serious question: I always assumed that the GM ran all of the "hockey operations". What is the difference between these two titles?

The GM handles day-to-day operations like managing the cap, call-ups and roster decisions, etc. The are also the middleman between players, agents, the coach, and other GMs. They negotiate contracts and trades.

The President is above the GM, they are in charge of both hockey operations and business operations. The only person they answer to is the owner. The actual involvement each President has in daily operations vary. Some just give the long term vision and trust the GM to execute it and really only exercising veto power. Some might give specific instructions, like “extend this player” or “trade for this guy” and the GM follows suit. Some take the lead in hockey ops and will be much more hands-on. Some will act as the middleman to ownership and have to “sell” their ideas before getting permission for their GM to act.

With our ownership, it’s kind of tough to tell what this move will mean. This may just be a vote of confidence in Fitzgerald, giving him job security and a raise. Maybe he’ll be transitioning more to the business side with Marty, Madigan, etc handling the roster stuff. I guess we’ll find out a bit more at the press conference later today.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Whatever keeps Marty far, far away from being the next GM.

Hopefully by the time we make the next GM change, Marty is so old he doesn't care to take his first GM position at age 60-something or he takes over for Lou with the Islanders (or even the Rangers, who cares?) IDGAF about Marty the management person and have no emotional attachment to him post-playing days. If I could watch him play for another team before he retired, I could stomach watching him be GM of some other team. Especially a team I hate or don't give a f*** about.

Better having to hate him for that (I personally wouldn't hate him for it) than having to hate him for being a failure as GM of our team.

I've feared for a while he's next in line for the GM position if things don't work with Fitz. Potentially it could be Kate, but the longer Fitz stays on as GM here, the greater chance she gets plucked away by some other team.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Hopefully by the time we make the next GM change, Marty is so old he doesn't care to take his first GM position at age 60-something or he takes over for Lou with the Islanders (or even the Rangers, who cares?) IDGAF about Marty the management person and have no emotional attachment to him post-playing days. If I could watch him play for another team before he retired, I could stomach watching him be GM of some other team. Especially a team I hate or don't give a f*** about.

Better having to hate him for that (I personally wouldn't hate him for it) than having to hate him for being a failure as GM of our team.

I've feared for a while he's next in line for the GM position if things don't work with Fitz. Potentially it could be Kate, but the longer Fitz stays on as GM here, the greater chance she gets plucked away by some other team.
What’s the disdain for Marty the gm?

That he would revert back to Lou’s ways? Because that’s all he knows

Reactions: HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It's hard to see Brodeur as the full time GM candidate. Hasn't he specifically said he doesn't want to have to be on call 24/7?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Hire Marty to be goalie coach.

sometimes it's better to not bother....

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 2.48.57 PM.png

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What’s the disdain for Marty the gm?

That he would revert back to Lou’s ways? Because that’s all he knows
Not quite.

I'd be worried that if it fails, we have another MacLean situation. Things can get dicey when the greatest player in team history becomes a GM. It was really close to happening with Sakic early on in his tenure. Remember when they tried to get permission to talk to Kyle Dubas after the disaster of a season Colorado had in 16-17? They clearly didn't wanna call him up about coming over to take their assistant GM position like he already had in Toronto.

I'm not even sure he'd be the same type of GM that Lou was. It's tough to say.

I would have been against it before anyway, but his first goalie coaching hire (Fitz may have made the hire, but Marty clearly had the history and the relationship with him) was a huge strike out, on top of me already not wanting him to ever be the GM here anyway.

Reactions: Guadana

Camille the Eel

I'm not sure about the meaning or implications of this. That Fitz is here to stay for a while and that he's the guy in charge, well sure it means that. That much is good. Beyond that does it mean anything? You would have to see the proverbial flow chart for how the Devils were run and compare it to the new flow chart now to see how he's acquired more authority, if at all. Who or what aspects of the operations are reporting to him now that didn't report to him before?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hire Marty to be goalie coach.
Maybe as an interim.

I'm of the belief that Rogalski needs to go now.

I don't want Marty to be the full time goalie coach, but if him or Clemmensen needs to be the interim for the rest of the year? So be it.

Rogalski really needs to be gone. He's poison IMO.

It's hard to see Brodeur as the full time GM candidate. Hasn't he specifically said he doesn't want to have to be on call 24/7?
I don't recall him saying that, but perhaps he did?

He may not have any aspirations to be GM anyway. Who knows? Though he did jump directly to the assistant GM role in St. Louis a minute after retiring. So I figured maybe he had aspirations of becoming a GM.

Did he once say while he was still playing that he hoped one day to be a GM? Did he say that in his book? Or maybe not?

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not sure about the meaning or implications of this. That Fitz is here to stay for a while and that he's the guy in charge, well sure it means that. That much is good. Beyond that does it mean anything? You would have to see the proverbial flow chart for how the Devils were run and compare it to the new flow chart now to see how he's acquired more authority, if at all. Who or what aspects of the operations are reporting to him now that didn't report to him before?
Just my own guess.

Fitz’ day to day job isn’t changing despite the new title.

This new contract pays him more and the higher title was needed because other teams were starting to sniff around and were prepared to throw more money and a higher title at him.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's safe to assume that Fitz's current contract probably wasn't up until 2025.

I doubt he was to be up after this year, unless it was an option year or something.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The GM handles day-to-day operations like managing the cap, call-ups and roster decisions, etc. The are also the middleman between players, agents, the coach, and other GMs. They negotiate contracts and trades.

The President is above the GM, they are in charge of both hockey operations and business operations. The only person they answer to is the owner. The actual involvement each President has in daily operations vary. Some just give the long term vision and trust the GM to execute it and really only exercising veto power. Some might give specific instructions, like “extend this player” or “trade for this guy” and the GM follows suit. Some take the lead in hockey ops and will be much more hands-on. Some will act as the middleman to ownership and have to “sell” their ideas before getting permission for their GM to act.

With our ownership, it’s kind of tough to tell what this move will mean. This may just be a vote of confidence in Fitzgerald, giving him job security and a raise. Maybe he’ll be transitioning more to the business side with Marty, Madigan, etc handling the roster stuff. I guess we’ll find out a bit more at the press conference later today.
I’m not doubting you because I don’t know but damn that’s pretty ridiculous that the gm wouldn’t as much say as you would think. I always assumed the gm had the final say on the path and plan for say x amount of years

Seeing players jump to gm titles without coaching to me doesn’t sit right. Let’s see how you handle a team before you get the keys to contracts and stuff imo

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think it's safe to assume that Fitz's current contract probably wasn't up until 2025.

I doubt he was to be up after this year, unless it was an option year or something.
Fitz prob got extended through 2030

Most extensions are at least 3 years long

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He def sees himself higher than that role I think. But would be a good start
I think he may not be right for the role, specifically because nobody in the NHL plays like he did.

I remember this being a talking point when Marty was still playing, that he probably wouldn't be the best guy for a goalie coaching job in his post playing days.

That said, Bob Essensa did not play like any of today's goalies and he's been one of the best and most successful goalie coaches in the league over the last 20+ years now.

And some of these guys never even played pro hockey at all. Like Benoit Allaire.

I wouldn't completely be opposed to it though.

There's guys older than him, who never played in the league or pro hockey who are goalie coaches. So I wouldn't write him off just because he played differently from the modern NHL goalie.

Was he an interim goalie coach that year the Blues fired Hitchcock midseason? Or was he just down on the bench as an interim assistant coach for the remainder of that year before just going back to his assistant GM'ing duties the next season?

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
fitz talking to the media for the first time in months during this wild season

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
I agree, years ago GMs were on local talk radio every 4-6 weeks. Nowadays they insulate themselves more from the public. Lou Lamoriello used to come on (he was very tight lipped) but would tell you where he thinks the team needs help.

The Jack Hughes lottery pick put us back on the map. We have a very good young nucleus but he is a special talent that will only get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad