Salary Cap: Fitting our guys under the cap next season.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Do you guys think there's any chance we can re-sign Santo or Winnik to under $2 million each? Winnik has never made more than $1.8 million per year, which he had with the Ducks on a 2 year term. Santorelli has never made more than $1.6 million per year, which was a 2 year deal he signed in 2011 with Florida. Last year he made league minimum, at $550,000. This year Winnik is making $1.3 mil and Santo is at $1.5 mil, both on one year deals. What do you guys think?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Aw geez I hope not. Not saying you're wrong, I just hope you are.

One of Bozak or Kadri will not be here past the 2016 season....as Nylander could play a year as a winger but no longer then a year. I say they move Bozak this summer while his value is high. Shanny is not Nonis or Burke and I can see him understanding the time to trade an asset is when it has value.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I say Bozak is moved to make room for Nylander in our Top 6. Carter is done as a Leaf in my opinion and Panik has took his spot.

I am not so sure it is that easy. Bozak is Kessels best friend (guess they still live together) and as Randy said, Bozak is Kessels driver, takes care of him. I dont think they want to start treating Kessel as a grown up now when they have not in the past. So I Kessel is part of the long term plans, so will Bozak. That he is also a good player on a decent deal will just make that decision easier.

Agree on Carter and Panik. Panik have shown the grit and skill we hoped Carter would. And I think he will be resigned with a minor raise in pay.

But it will still be difficult to resign them all and fit them under the cap. I think Bernier will be asking for starter money and that is around $6m. Kadri will ask for 1st/2nd line money and that should be in the $4-5m region. So just these two players will put us up against the cap. Then Nylander comes in with almost $1m in cap hit, and with the bonuses I think he can take up to $3m in cap space.
And then we have the rest of the guys to worry about. Franson will imo not be resigned. Not with the many young defenseman we have in the system.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do you guys think there's any chance we can re-sign Santo or Winnik to under $2 million each? Winnik has never made more than $1.8 million per year, which he had with the Ducks on a 2 year term. Santorelli has never made more than $1.6 million per year, which was a 2 year deal he signed in 2011 with Florida. Last year he made league minimum, at $550,000. This year Winnik is making $1.3 mil and Santo is at $1.5 mil, both on one year deals. What do you guys think?

No....it will take about 5.5 total to get them both back.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Canadian dollar being down to 85 cents and holding there is what I am kind of expecting. That's a big hit to profits going to the league in terms of Canadian teams. I don't see the cap moving much or even at all.

That is going to make for some very interesting decisions league wide. It makes sense to have some wiggle room at this point for the leafs. Trading for cap room is my desire choice.

So Franson can be kept and let go or traded. It do not matter to me. Getting a asset for him in this climate of cap squeeze possibly coming could be difficult if let go much longer. Its time to move him.

Jvr looks like he supplies only scoring and not much defense, so moving him is a option the leafs should consider. Jake Gardiner moved also would put us in a stronger position of better cap flexibility.

All can be moved and replaced with an eye on gaining better defensive responsible players. It is time for some asset management from a high return perspective from my standpoint.

Jvr would absolutely have to get equal hockey value in return but for a younger player with less cap hit. Meaning offensive potential but better defensive character. If we couldn't get that we keep him.

Boone Jenner for JVR type of deal. That's a example of the type of player we would need in return. Difficult to pull off definitely.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Nonis is going to have a tough off season. No question he would like Santa and Winnik back, although historically, Winnik has been a tough sign. Kadri is going to get a raise as is Bernier. Franson would be nice to have back, doubt that happens though due to past negotiations and perceived value. I could see Reimer being let go; and no doubt, Santa and Winnik have shown great value for what they bring.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A 73m cap would mean we have about 20m to spend to sign the 9-10 players we need to fill out our line up , if we can trade Reims and sign a cheaper b/u that would give us another 1m .

Bernier - 5 plus
Kadri - 4 plus
Franson - 4.5 plus
Santo - 2 plus
Winnick - 1.75 plus

total = 17.25 on the low end and with less than 4 mil to add another 5/6 players and even if they can do this it still just means keeping the same team and adding probably Nylander as an upgrade

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Other than those players, the only other contract to look at is Kadri. Everyone else is just cheap RFAs who haven't played a large role with the team.

We have 22.3m to spend if the cap is 73m. My guess is Bernier + Franson + Kadri take up 15m of that combined. That leaves 7.3m for 7 other players. I'm not expecting a vastly different team next year again.

So are these signings a good idea? Just spending up to the new cap and not getting anything new/better in return for that spending?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
A 73m cap would mean we have about 20m to spend to sign the 9-10 players we need to fill out our line up , if we can trade Reims and sign a cheaper b/u that would give us another 1m .

Bernier - 5 plus
Kadri - 4 plus
Franson - 4.5 plus
Santo - 2 plus
Winnick - 1.75 plus

total = 17.25 on the low end and with less than 4 mil to add another 4-5 players and even if they can do this it still just means keeping the same team and adding probably Nylander as an upgrade

20m? Well that sounds a lot better. I read 10m somewhere.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
For those thinking we should move on from our players, maybe we should see how we do this year first. Currently in 5th, with a game in hand over Boston (who is below us) and 3 games in hand over Montreal.

We might actually put together a good season. If we make the playoffs and win a round, it makes sense to commit, because we would prove to be a good team.

Also if we prove to be a playoff team Stamkos might actually want to come home to play with us.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For those thinking we should move on from our players, maybe we should see how we do this year first. Currently in 5th, with a game in hand over Boston (who is below us) and 3 games in hand over Montreal.

We might actually put together a good season. If we make the playoffs and win a round, it makes sense to commit, because we would prove to be a good team.

Also if we prove to be a playoff team Stamkos might actually want to come home to play with us.

Yeah but we wouldn't have the cap space to sign him.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
according to cap geek we have 13 players signed for a total of 52.7m for next year . A 73m cap would give us just over 20m to sign 9/10 players

Thanks. Just checked cap geek my self and you are right. We should have around $20m in cap space. That is a lot better ;)

Edit: And Nylanders cap hit with bonuses seem to be $1.775m and not $2-3m, according to cap geek.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yeah but we wouldn't have the cap space to sign him.

Hopefully the cap goes up by 10 mil :naughty:

No but As long as we are careful with the cap, we can ship out some players and hopefully get 9-10m of cap space (if cap goes up by 4 mil and we ship out Lupul next year) and hopefully he takes a hometown discount at 10 m.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am actually getting out of this conversation right now. The cap is way to speculative to continue.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

it's not just about whether we should or shouldn't commit but whether we have the cap space too commit and where would the 10m in cap space to sign Stamkos come from if we do commit to the current roster ?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

No but As long as we are careful with the cap, we can ship out some players and hopefully get 9-10m of cap space (if cap goes up by 4 mil and we ship out Lupul next year) and hopefully he takes a hometown discount at 10 m.

When is stamkos ufa anyways? Would love to have the room to go for him also.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Do you realize that he would be giving up about 4 million in tax money alone by signing here. Florida is one of the best places to play based on taxes alone.

I can not see him Signing here for anything less then Max Money.....and we can not afford to do this and remain competitive.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This is a rough view on how I'd go about it based on play up to this point.

Re-sign
Bernier - $5.25m
Kadri - $4.25m - $4.75m
Winnik - $2.5m
Panik - QO @ $771,750k

These are the 4 main re-signings that I'd like to happen. I have Panik at his QO, But it's possible that it could be higher if he get more of an opportunity as the season goes. Winnik is very valuable on the PK and can give you solid 3rd line minutes. Kadri and Bernier are two guys who should be part of "the core" going forward IMO. Kadri has taken massive steps in his play without the puck this year; And Bernier is without a doubt the #1 and has made our goaltending the most stable it's been in a decade; 24 and 26 years of age respectively as well.

If there's enough room.

Santorelli - $3.5m - $4m
Franson - $3.75m - $4.25m
Holzer - $1m - $1.5m

While Both Santorelli and Franson have had impressive seasons thus far, I consider them both to be luxury signings at this point. Both are UFA's in contract a year and will be looking for multi-year deals I'm not sure we can do at this point. Holzer if he continues playing well is I'd like to keep, and may make some someone with a higher cap hit movable. I think it's important to have room for younger player(Nylander, Percy, Leivo, 3D Swedes) to make the club, So re-signing every one for next season isn't something I'd commit to anyway.

Trades(who's movable)

As of now we have just over $16m to spend for next years team for about 8-10 players, Pending how many we carry. After the players who I think are important to sign(first group) we'll have around 2m-3m to spend(not counting the estimated 3m cap growth) on 4-6 players.

So 3 obvious players to move out to make room, And 1 not so obvious

Lupul - $5.25m AAV
Gardiner - $4.050m AAV
Polak - $2.950m AAV
Reimer - $2.3m AAV

Tons of speculation about Lupul and Gardiner already, It seems likely that one of them at least won't be here even at the deadline perhaps. Both should net a good return with some form of a cap hit, But it should be move that opens up space. Polak isn't a deal that will happen, But at nearly $3m if some like Holzer or even Granberg/Nilsson can emerge next year it's another way to create cap room. For Reimer, They would probably like to move him before the deadline if they can.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Love Winnik's play, but if he or Santos want noticable raises, i'd move them or let them walk. Just look for another good deal bottom sizer in free agency (ie how we got Winnik in the first place).

I'd consider moving Lupul, Polak, Robidas, Bozak, and Clarkson ( if another team is dumb enough to take him with some salary retained) to free up space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad