Salary Cap: Fitting our guys under the cap next season.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So we have a few UFA's, I put them into two tiers, must resign, and would be nice.

MUST.

Santa
Winnik

Be nice

Kozun
Franson

Then we have some raises for our UFA.

I see this happening. Reimer will be traded next summer to be a starter somewhere, 2mil off the cap.

That 2mil can go to Kadri's raise.

Then we will need to trade one of Lupul/Gardiner to resign Winnik and Santa. Those two turned around our team. Our Grabo and Kuli replacement. If we can get them both for 2.5-3 mil for 3 years, would be great.

Call up Bibeau to back up next year. Cheap backup.

Then we have a few million left, and we should resign Kozun.

No room for Franson sadly unless he takes a huge discount.

Everyone else can go.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Move Gardiner/Lupul and Reimer. Don't resign a couple of the scrubs (Orr, McLaren are buried but w/e). Gives us some cap space, Robidas** doesn't need to be moved. Cap projections to be 73 million next year apparently. Should be able to make it work.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
To fit everyone we want to keep under the cap constraint, as well as re-sign Kadri, I think we have to move Lupul, Gardiner, Reimer, and Franson! If we could trade Clarkson, I'd be willing to keep Franson, and, give him Gardiner's money and term.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
There was a recent report that the cap would hit 73mil next season. If it goes that high, then we should be able to afford everyone important.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
To fit everyone we want to keep under the cap constraint, as well as re-sign Kadri, I think we have to move Lupul, Gardiner, Reimer, and Franson! If we could trade Clarkson, I'd be willing to keep Franson, and, give him Gardiner's money and term.

A little excessive, we don't need to clear out 15 million + for Kadri raise plus a few depth contracts. Cap goes up, Kadri gets a 2-3 mil raise.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
A little excessive, we don't need to clear out 15 million + for Kadri raise plus a few depth contracts. Cap goes up, Kadri gets a 2-3 mil raise.

Shouldn't we strive to clear cap space for... for... well, you all know who! :naughty:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Without deletions the Leafs wouldn't even have enough cap space to bring their current team back, to afford re-signings.

You're going to need +$2 mil for Kadri, +$2 mil for Franson & + $3 mil for Bernier & Santorelli and Winnik are going to look to double their current salaries = +$ 2.8 mil extra.

~ = $10 mil required with the cap rumoured to go up $2-3 max.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Without deletions the Leafs wouldn't even have enough cap space to bring their current team back, to afford re-signings.

You're going to need +$2 mil for Kadri, +$2 mil for Franson & + $3 mil for Bernier & Santorelli and Winnik are going to look to double their current salaries = +$ 2.8 mil extra.

~ = $10 mil required with the cap rumoured to go up $2-3 max.

And then you still have a mediocre team
This team needs to make a bold move or two to get to the next level

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If we re-sign everybody then how can this team keep improving? Unless your goal is to always be a wild card team that has no hope in hell of winning the Cup.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Shouldn't we strive to clear cap space for... for... well, you all know who! :naughty:

Babcock was quoted in the last day as saying the current Wings club is the best team (direction wise) he has had since 2009. :sarcasm:

Everyone here is trying to figure a way to just resign the current roster under a new/higher cap. All that will result in is the same lackluster results. The leafs are a mess when it comes to cap management. Meanwhile the wings also need to add a part or two to become a contender again, but they have lots of pieces to move/trade and plenty of cap space to make a move when ones is available.

Stammer isn't interested, neither is Babcock.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i can see us moving Bozak this summer. This would give us 4.25 for signing other players minus the cap of a young forward coming back who has top 6 ability. Nylander will come in and fill the center position as the #2 /#3 to start with.

A good winger in return makes trading Lupul as an option as well.

Has everyone forget about Nylander?

We can trade Riemer and add a 2nd goalie for 1m per and resign Franson and Kadri at 5m per as well as resign Winik and Santo and still be under 72M

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
i can see us moving Bozak this summer. This would give us 4.25 for signing other players minus the cap of a young forward coming back who has top 6 ability. Nylander will come in and fill the center position as the #2 /#3 to start with.

A good winger in return makes trading Lupul as an option as well.

Has everyone forget about Nylander

Bozak will be here for as long as Kessel is here.

If the cap will be $73m we will have around $10m to resign Bernier, Kadri, Santo, Panik, Carter, Franson and Holzer. Then we will add Nylander $925k+bonuses.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Babcock was quoted in the last day as saying the current Wings club is the best team (direction wise) he has had since 2009. :sarcasm:

Everyone here is trying to figure a way to just resign the current roster under a new/higher cap. All that will result in is the same lackluster results. The leafs are a mess when it comes to cap management. Meanwhile the wings also need to add a part or two to become a contender again, but they have lots of pieces to move/trade and plenty of cap space to make a move when ones is available.

Stammer isn't interested, neither is Babcock.

Why hasn't he re-signed then if everything is so great down there? Babcock that is.

He's interested, Don't worry.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

If the cap will be $73m we will have around $10m to resign Bernier, Kadri, Santo, Panik, Carter, Franson and Holzer. Then we will add Nylander $925k+bonuses.

I say Bozak is moved to make room for Nylander in our Top 6. Carter is done as a Leaf in my opinion and Panik has took his spot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Aw geez I hope not. Not saying you're wrong, I just hope you are.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Personally I'd be surprised if we end up trading Reimer. I think it would be nice too since it has been clear that Bernier is this organizations go to guy and Reimer is more expensive as a backup and it would be nice to get a cheaper one due to bernier likely getting over 5m with his new contract.

Franson in my opinion is a must sign. There are many teams in the league that would love to have someone like him. He is big, fairly physical, shoots right and has a big shot. He can easily be traded in the future in my opinion if we choose to move in a different direction so I believe we should retain him as an asset.

Although it would be nice to retain Santorelli and Winnik, I think they will become out of our price range much like Raymond last year. They could come back into the price range if we are able to move a larger contract such as Clarkson, Lupul or Gardiner, but if that doesn't happen I don't see them coming back

Other than those players, the only other contract to look at is Kadri. Everyone else is just cheap RFAs who haven't played a large role with the team.

We have 22.3m to spend if the cap is 73m. My guess is Bernier + Franson + Kadri take up 15m of that combined. That leaves 7.3m for 7 other players. I'm not expecting a vastly different team next year again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad