OT: Fitness and Nutrition X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m alternating between two workouts. One has squats, the other deadlifts. I probably work out three times a week. On off days I do some additional exercises.
Yes, it sounds similar to starting strength. Increase your calories. You’ll continue to burn fat/increase strength, and get over the hump. Not suggesting you bulk, I’m suggesting you’re likely in a greater deficit than you expect (500 cals). I think you can safely add 200-300 cals while burning fat still and adjust as the feedback/results come in.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yep, it's worked pretty effectively so far. I'd estimate that I'm down 30+ pounds of fat and have likely added 8 pounds of muscle over 4+ months of work. We'll see how it goes but I'm at about 34 inch waist right now. I'd love to get to 30. That is probably a few more months away though. If/when I get to around 30, I might look at doing a short bulk cycle just to have a little more muscle to help my metabolism in the future.

Wow, that's great progress, good for you!

One thing you can think about is stabilizing for a little bit. That will support further strength gains. You'll have more energy in the gym if you feel that you've lost some pep because of the diet. Then after a few months you can go back to it. If you're still motivated and crushing it with your diet you don't have to stop, by any means. But 4 months straight is a lot of work.

About deadlifts, your mileage may vary by body type as well as other things (like if you're on a diet or in a surplus). A lot of people get great results with a single hard set of 5 deadlifts. These people tend to be chunky thicc boiz. I always got more out of more volume, being a skinny guy. By volume I mean number of hard sets. The hard sets could be a hard set of 3, 5, anywhere up to about 8 reps for deadlifts.

However, when you're dieting, the role that strength training takes is sort of a supporting one. The point of doing strength training in a deficit is to give your body the signal to build muscle. Then, with a high protein intake, you supply your body with the substrate to repair itself. You just don't give it the energy to do so externally. So, if a single set of 5 is doing it for you, and keeps you from being miserable that might be something to think about. Instead of a high volume session that could break your will to live.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, it sounds similar to starting strength. Increase your calories. You’ll continue to burn fat/increase strength, and get over the hump. Not suggesting you bulk, I’m suggesting you’re likely in a greater deficit than you expect (500 cals). I think you can safely add 200-300 cals while burning fat still and adjust as the feedback/results come in.
I don't think I'm there quite yet. I am still progressing strength wise. It's getting harder for sure as the weights get heavier but I continue to be able to progress on the weights.

Some exercises progress more than others though. Deadlift has progressed but bench is very slow. I don't have a spotter so progress takes a long time. I'm working at 160 lbs on the bench which is pretty pathetic... but it is what it is.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wow, that's great progress, good for you!
Thanks.
One thing you can think about is stabilizing for a little bit. That will support further strength gains. You'll have more energy in the gym if you feel that you've lost some pep because of the diet. Then after a few months you can go back to it. If you're still motivated and crushing it with your diet you don't have to stop, by any means. But 4 months straight is a lot of work.
I still feel good so far. I think if I were to stop progressing or hit some kind of hump, I might actually do this. But the progress has been consistent and the protein satiates the hunger. At this point I think I'll continue for now.

I also am not super strict on things. If I'm hungry, I will eat some more and exceed the caloric totals. The protein also staves off the hunger very well. On the exercise front, when I'm tired I take extra days off. I'm listening to my body and that makes things easier. If my body is crushed, I just take an extra day or sometimes even two or three.

About deadlifts, your mileage may vary by body type as well as other things (like if you're on a diet or in a surplus). A lot of people get great results with a single hard set of 5 deadlifts. These people tend to be chunky thicc boiz. I always got more out of more volume, being a skinny guy. By volume I mean number of hard sets. The hard sets could be a hard set of 3, 5, anywhere up to about 8 reps for deadlifts.

However, when you're dieting, the role that strength training takes is sort of a supporting one. The point of doing strength training in a deficit is to give your body the signal to build muscle. Then, with a high protein intake, you supply your body with the substrate to repair itself. You just don't give it the energy to do so externally. So, if a single set of 5 is doing it for you, and keeps you from being miserable that might be something to think about. Instead of a high volume session that could break your will to live.
Yeah, I was asking about this earlier. On deadlifts, going three sets is murder. And I'm forced to take long rests. There's no getting around it. Deadlifts take about ten to fifteen minutes to complete... the workout is definitely getting longer due to rests.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks.

I still feel good so far. I think if I were to stop progressing or hit some kind of hump, I might actually do this. But the progress has been consistent and the protein satiates the hunger. At this point I think I'll continue for now.

I also am not super strict on things. If I'm hungry, I will eat some more and exceed the caloric totals. The protein also staves off the hunger very well. On the exercise front, when I'm tired I take extra days off. I'm listening to my body and that makes things easier. If my body is crushed, I just take an extra day or sometimes even two or three.

Get it while you can then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad