OT: Fitness and Nutrition X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
To meat or not to meat, that is the question.

upload_2019-11-4_14-1-27.png

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
question

Has anyone who is active in these threads ever been morbidly obese in the past? I'm looking for a way out but I can't figure out how to solve the mental issues that got me to the point I'm at right now. I've never made any effort about anything to improve who and what I am as a person. I could work myself to death to help people I care about but when it comes to myself I just can't be bothered and I would rather take the easy way out and play apex legends or rocket league.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
question

Has anyone who is active in these threads ever been morbidly obese in the past? I'm looking for a way out but I can't figure out how to solve the mental issues that got me to the point I'm at right now. I've never made any effort about anything to improve who and what I am as a person. I could work myself to death to help people I care about but when it comes to myself I just can't be bothered and I would rather take the easy way out and play apex legends or rocket league.
Is it food or food+alcohol that got you there?

Edit: What you describe is also pretty much me... Unable to sustain any workout/diet change for more than couple weeks to a couple months. I've gained around 40 pounds in the last year.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
question

I was 1.81 meters with an average of 235 lbs for about ten years, ages 23-33 about. Got down to 180 and am now at 190.

Yes, you can break the cycle. There are many ways, but you need to be honest about why you are why you are. Have you always been fat? Do you have muscle as well or are you also weak?

You might want to consider a blood panel just to know if you have any hormonal problems.

Last edited:

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
question

I'm looking for a way out but I can't figure out how to solve the mental issues that got me to the point I'm at right now. I've never made any effort about anything to improve who and what I am as a person. I could work myself to death to help people I care about but when it comes to myself I just can't be bothered and I would rather take the easy way out and play apex legends or rocket league.

Sounds like you're almost ready for a change. I was an obese teen (not morbidly though). One day I was just so disgusted with myself, wasn't getting laid, would stay in instead of going out because I was embarrassed about my round face and man boobs. I started working out. I research everything due to my curious nature. I just started going, and the chemicals that release in your brain when you exercise is a snowball effect. You get home and you want to eat healthier. You sleep better. You drink less. I stioped smoking weed around that time bc it made me a lazy POS.

Find yourself a couple go-to's for fuel. I like hard boiled eggs with salt pepper and hot sauce. I used to pop them like tictacs. Watch your carbs. Don't drink your calories. Have a cheat day. Try to walk to places. I'm a little bit extreme so I bought myself a stationary bike and only allowed myself to watch tv/play video games/ if I was pedalling (that amounted to 2+ hours a day).

You're gonna be fine man just get the ball rolling! I was an obese teen and in 3 years give or take I got in good shape (trying to get back to this as of today)
uW7oGb6

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I got a large pot of curry on the stove...

MADE OF CHICKPEAS

jesus im turning into a vegetarian

If it wasnt for the bacon I had this morning

I made a gigantic pot of 4 bean chili on the weekend. That's probably the best taste/value dish I know how to make.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
question

I don't know if @waffledave was, but I recall he lost a lot of weight.

Usually, what you need to do is either start gradually and keep adding in or just cut cold turkey and live the healthy lifestyle from day one. Gotta find which one works best for you.

I did suffer from some depression+drinking habit that got me to 230 lbs of pudgyness at 5'11, but I don't think that qualifies as morbidly obese. It was easy to break the cycle because I was always active and I always loved training, so I can't really relate on that one. Just know that you are not different and you can get reasonably healthy with a few simple and "easy" lifestyle changes.

Edit: What you describe is also pretty much me... Unable to sustain any workout/diet change for more than couple weeks to a couple months. I've gained around 40 pounds in the last year.

Do you hate working out ? What do you describe as a diet ?

I really cannot relate with this, I don't mean no disrepect, I just really want to know. To me body re-compositions are so easy that I could just decide to stop that eternal bulk and be ripped in a few months, as I have done before. I have this drive for results and I love seeing them, so it's really hard to relate.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I made a gigantic pot of 4 bean chili on the weekend. That's probably the best taste/value dish I know how to make.

Anytime I make big pots of stew/chili/curry/soup or whatever I just know I won't be hitting most of my calories and that sucks, thats the only reason why I don't make it more often.

(I also got three pound of short ribs because I got a really cheap deal with my supplier at work, but don't tell the vegan crew.)

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
question

The way out is simple: you have to want it. Once you make that decision, that should be it: you're either in control of yourself, and moving towards your goal or you are not. No one can make that decision for you. No one can want it for you.

But it is possible to lose the weight and keep it off. You could start this very instant.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa

Do you drink alot?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Do you drink alot?

Probably too much too often and it often includes eating more than I should. Not every day but at least twice a week.

Usually, what you need to do is either start gradually and keep adding in or just cut cold turkey and live the healthy lifestyle from day one. Gotta find which one works best for you.

I did suffer from some depression+drinking habit that got me to 230 lbs of pudgyness at 5'11, but I don't think that qualifies as morbidly obese. It was easy to break the cycle because I was always active and I always loved training, so I can't really relate on that one. Just know that you are not different and you can get reasonably healthy with a few simple and "easy" lifestyle changes.

I really cannot relate with this, I don't mean no disrepect, I just really want to know. To me body re-compositions are so easy that I could just decide to stop that eternal bulk and be ripped in a few months, as I have done before. I have this drive for results and I love seeing them, so it's really hard to relate.

I'm okay-ish with workout, I just prefer anime, youtube and video games more. :laugh:

Diet as in eating habits. Cutting carbs and stuff. I'm usually good when I cook, but I order way too much food way too often.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sounds like you're almost ready for a change. I was an obese teen (not morbidly though). One day I was just so disgusted with myself, wasn't getting laid, would stay in instead of going out because I was embarrassed about my round face and man boobs. I started working out. I research everything due to my curious nature. I just started going, and the chemicals that release in your brain when you exercise is a snowball effect. You get home and you want to eat healthier. You sleep better. You drink less. I stioped smoking weed around that time bc it made me a lazy POS.

Find yourself a couple go-to's for fuel. I like hard boiled eggs with salt pepper and hot sauce. I used to pop them like tictacs. Watch your carbs. Don't drink your calories. Have a cheat day. Try to walk to places. I'm a little bit extreme so I bought myself a stationary bike and only allowed myself to watch tv/play video games/ if I was pedalling (that amounted to 2+ hours a day).

You're gonna be fine man just get the ball rolling! I was an obese teen and in 3 years give or take I got in good shape (trying to get back to this as of today)
uW7oGb6

You look great, congratulations !

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
You look great, congratulations !

Thanks man, but that was 4 years ago, I've lost some size and put on about 30 lbs of fat. Getting back into it today though, me and the wife are gonna do it together. The first year of our relationship has been drinking wine everyday and eating garbage

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Probably too much too often and it often includes eating more than I should. Not every day but at least twice a week.

I'm okay-ish with workout, I just prefer anime, youtube and video games more. :laugh:

Diet as in eating habits. Cutting carbs and stuff. I'm usually good when I cook, but I order way too much food way too often.

You need your liver to process the basics in your fat cells, if you bombard your liver with booze too often you're not letting it do its job. Try drinking a max of 2 nights a week. The boozing is my downfall too. But when I cut it out I start melting the lbs away.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Anytime I make big pots of stew/chili/curry/soup or whatever I just know I won't be hitting most of my calories and that sucks, thats the only reason why I don't make it more often.

(I also got three pound of short ribs because I got a really cheap deal with my supplier at work, but don't tell the vegan crew.)

I am going to try to make tofu taste good this weekend. I've got a few recipes in mind. Mobu-tofu seems like a winner.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Is it mostly from laziness ?

Im kinda realizing that Im having it really easy in the fitness, I spent a decade honing my cooking skills and I spent another decade honing my gym knowledge and both are passions.

If only I could put the same kind of dedications I have in my fitness lifestyle in my education, that'd be great. Instead here I am on a message board two coffee cups in with every books in my backpack piled on my desk but no work being done.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach

It's a mix of food and terrible habits that got me near 350lb at 6'.

I was 1.81 meters with an average of 235 lbs for about ten years, ages 23-33 about. Got down to 180 and am now at 190.

Yes, you can break the cycle. There are many ways, but you need to be honest about why you are why you are. Have you always been fat? Do you have muscle as well or are you also weak?

You might want to consider a blood panel just to know if you have any hormonal problems.

I always saw myself a fat even though I was only very slightly chubby as a kid. I was actually taller and had wider shoulders than everyone else. To this day I'm still certain I would have made a hell of a hockey player haha. I've always been built like a truck but now the truck is drowning in fat.

uW7oGb6

Thanks for the boost. These days I'm afraid to exercise because I feel like I'll hurt myself, which is just freaking sad. I wish I could play badminton again though. I really miss it

I wish I had that drive. To me exercising is just hell. Doing the same repetitive movement over and over until it hurts, then go home and do whatever else needs to be done.... then start over the next day? Ugh. I don't mind sports, they're fun. Running or cycle is also fun. Lifting weights however is hell.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
question

It's a difficult situation to extricate yourself from since your habit has become a lifestyle.

I'd suggest making a list of to-dos and using all your strength to stick with a plan. Don't make them absurdly difficult or unrealistic. Restore some self esteem by completing small tasks, gradually progressing to more difficult ones.

Cut out doughnuts, but find some low fat, low sugar cookies to replace them and put a limit on the intake. Try to eat them as a reward only when you've looked after your list. Eat foods you like, but more healthful versions of them.

Join a legit physical training facility where you'll get motivation and expert advice.

The bottom line is you must make a commitment to yourself and hold fast. Being with others who are going through a similar challenge offers mutual support and motivation. Celebrate small victories - just not with cake. ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wish I had that drive. To me exercising is just hell. Doing the same repetitive movement over and over until it hurts, then go home and do whatever else needs to be done.... then start over the next day? Ugh. I don't mind sports, they're fun. Running or cycle is also fun. Lifting weights however is hell.

Thats a problem. Probably the biggest problem.

If you don't like to train in a gym, to lift weights, just don't do it. Exercise comes in many forms. Walking, running, jumping, lifting, throwing, climbing, rowing, etc. You like badminton, why don't you play ? You like running, why don't you run ? You like cycling, why don't you cycle ?

I have a love for moving large and heavy objects, but I totally hate running just for the sake of running, so I don't jog, ever. I do love training with a purpose though, and I enjoy strongman/crossfit type of conditioning. I also enjoy sports, so I use them.

You need to start looking at sports and hobbies like exercise, theyre probably the way you'll lose weight.

Another thing that helps me greatly when Im trying to lose weight/get ripped is that I stop being lazy. Right now, I wouldn't for the life of me climb up stairs if there's an elevator, my knees hurt enough and I am struggling to eat enough calories to gain weight, but when Im trying to lose weight, I use this as a tool to burn more calories. I walk/bike to the gym, I run with my dog, I play more tennis, badminton, etc.

Your body needs to burn calories and the best way to burn these calories is by moving more. There's no other secrets.

Obviously all that is a huge jump and at 350 and 6 foot, Im not sure its wise to jump in, but a gradual dive into a healthier lifestyle is entirely possible.

@ 350 you'd probably need professional help though, not gonna lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->