OT: Fitness and Nutrition X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Went to the gym for the first time in five months (Buzzfit in DDO). As others mentioned, mask-on when moving around, mask-off when exercising. They also did a heat-check as a preventative measure for anyone with fever. This was yesterday at 5:30 pm, which would normally be crowded, except there were only about 15-20 people. Distancing wasn't a problem. Only problem was putting the mask back on after my run. It was dry, I wasn't. Took about 12 seconds for the mask to soak up the sweat, which felt pretty disgusting when walking around. It might end up costing me more in masks than the actual membership!

I've been running outdoors since March at a slightly slower pace than on a treadmill, which imposes a speed and forces you to keep up. First mile back on a treadmill was a bit slower, but the rest was okay. Felt good to do the weights afterwards, which was the reason I went.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If I just focus on 2 compound exercises then I'll do 4-6 sets.

I also do tempo work that works pretty well for me.
Clustering... did not work. :laugh: Once I ran out of gas that was it.

Also, I deadlifted 325. Felt good too, like I could've gone higher.

Anyways, using the 80 percent law, I'll do 8 reps of 260 correct? The following week I'd go up to ten reps or should I increase the weight?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Anyways, using the 80 percent law, I'll do 8 reps of 260 correct? The following week I'd go up to ten reps or should I increase the weight?
You probably messed up the cluster if it didn't work, either too heavy, too many reps, bad clustering numbers or rest.

Don't go above 5 reps if strength is your objective. General rule of thumb, stick between 3~5 reps.
If 260 for 5 feels light, then increase weight.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Are you still trying to lose body fat? Or are you gettin #thicc again?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Went to the gym for the first time in five months (Buzzfit in DDO). As others mentioned, mask-on when moving around, mask-off when exercising. They also did a heat-check as a preventative measure for anyone with fever. This was yesterday at 5:30 pm, which would normally be crowded, except there were only about 15-20 people. Distancing wasn't a problem. Only problem was putting the mask back on after my run. It was dry, I wasn't. Took about 12 seconds for the mask to soak up the sweat, which felt pretty disgusting when walking around. It might end up costing me more in masks than the actual membership!

I've been running outdoors since March at a slightly slower pace than on a treadmill, which imposes a speed and forces you to keep up. First mile back on a treadmill was a bit slower, but the rest was okay. Felt good to do the weights afterwards, which was the reason I went.
Get a towel and wipe your face mate!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Really amped up the swimming and running lately and even helped break in a friends horse that would only trot,now she gallops,definitely much harder to keep up with her. Might even compete in a few events if they are not cancelled.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You probably messed up the cluster if it didn't work, either too heavy, too many reps, bad clustering numbers or rest.
It was very heavy weight for me.
Don't go above 5 reps if strength is your objective. General rule of thumb, stick between 3~5 reps.
If 260 for 5 feels light, then increase weight.
I'll use deadlift as the example. I was able to do 300 lbs for 5 reps but only two sets. I couldn't lift anything on the third set.

I did my 1RM at 325. If I were to look at the 85 percent rule it would be 275 lbs. But I can already do three sets of five reps there. So do I increase the reps or the weight?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'll use deadlift as the example. I was able to do 300 lbs for 5 reps but only two sets. I couldn't lift anything on the third set.

That is why I don't take seriously people who say "three sets of X". Unless you're taking endless rests, if you're lifting to failure on each set then you will likely not be able to lift the same number of reps on each set.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is why I don't take seriously people who say "three sets of X". Unless you're taking endless rests, if you're lifting to failure on each set then you will likely not be able to lift the same number of reps on each set.
Yeah, it's heavy for me. And I take a good four or five minutes between the first set and the second.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It was very heavy weight for me.

I did my 1RM at 325. If I were to look at the 85 percent rule it would be 275 lbs. But I can already do three sets of five reps there. So do I increase the reps or the weight?

Well how much rest did you take between sets?
Yes you will need to increase the weights.
To make it simple, you start at 275. Stick to that for the week, every week increase 5~10lbs.
If you feel like you can do an extra set or two, that's fine as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well how much rest did you take between sets?
Yes you will need to increase the weights.
To make it simple, you start at 275. Stick to that for the week, every week increase 5~10lbs.
If you feel like you can do an extra set or two, that's fine as well.
I've already done this though... got to the point where I got to 300 and then I could only get the two sets and nearly died from exhaustion... :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've already done this though... got to the point where I got to 300 and then I could only get the two sets and nearly died from exhaustion... :laugh:
Well then I'd have to know exactly what you're doing, sets, reps, rests, your technique and execution, the rest of your training...

Id suggest you try the cluster again but properly, and you need to be patient, you can't expect changes in 2 weeks which is probably the equivalent of just a couple of trainings.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well then I'd have to know exactly what you're doing, sets, reps, rests, your technique and execution, the rest of your training...

Id suggest you try the cluster again but properly, and you need to be patient, you can't expect changes in 2 weeks which is probably the equivalent of just a couple of trainings.
I think the clustering would work if I wasn't so close to max on some of these lifts. Tonight I did 275 on deadlift. Was planning on doing more reps per set but honestly I was gassed doing the 5. So three sets of five was just fine there. Next time I'll just add 5 more to go to 280 and do the same thing. If I fail, I'll use the cluster technique.
Yep. It sounds like you've been losing bodyfat for a while now?
Yep, it's worked pretty effectively so far. I'd estimate that I'm down 30+ pounds of fat and have likely added 8 pounds of muscle over 4+ months of work. We'll see how it goes but I'm at about 34 inch waist right now. I'd love to get to 30. That is probably a few more months away though. If/when I get to around 30, I might look at doing a short bulk cycle just to have a little more muscle to help my metabolism in the future.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Thoughts on just doing one set of deadlifts?

Example:

Say you're doing 3x5 and get to 300 lbs. Would you do it this way?

1 set x135 warmup
1 set x225 warmup
1 set x300
Finished? Does this work or should it be the full 3x5 for the 300 as well?
I think it’s fine with 3x5’s assuming you are already squatting 3x per week, what you are doing Is exactly what starting strength recommends and you will get stronger.

This is a routine I stuck to for a couple of months and the 1set of deadlifts was about right for me, any more would have been overkill with the rest of the routine for me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think the clustering would work if I wasn't so close to max on some of these lifts. Tonight I did 275 on deadlift. Was planning on doing more reps per set but honestly I was gassed doing the 5. So three sets of five was just fine there. Next time I'll just add 5 more to go to 280 and do the same thing. If I fail, I'll use the cluster technique.

You didn't cluster properly. How did you go about it?
The idea behind a cluster is not to get as close as possible to your heaviest possible and try to hammer an extra rep.
For example:
if you do
2-2-1 reps @ 275#...that's 5 x 275 = 1375. So that means you lift 1375lbs per set of cluster.
Now...if you do 2-2-2 reps @ 260#..that's 6 x 260 = 1560lbs. So you would have lifted close to 200lbs more per set, then add in the number of sets 3-5..that's around 600-1000 more lbs of weight you could be lifting, which should definitely make you stronger.
So yes, you probably definitely didn't do the cluster properly, which is why you failed at it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The fat loss seems to be coming pretty well. I've dropped over 20 lbs since I began and 12 in the past two months. The inches on the beltline really tell the story though. I think I've lost significantly more than what's showing up on the scale.

I'd like to concentrate on strength training at the same time. Generally speaking, I drink a postworkout shake after my workout. It's almond milk, egg white, banana/berries and a scoop of protein powder. Also using creatine as my supplement.
There is no requirement to eat directly after the workout, as long as you are getting your protein intake within 12-24 hours I think you are ok. I have been IF for months and there is nothing comparable for calorie restriction and overall health.

I don’t even think about it, between 5pm-8pm I eat, I do agree that it’s better to time your meal post workout within a few hours, but if it doesn’t fit your schedule I don’t think it’s a big deal. I don’t think working out in fasted state is all that necessary either, I’ve done both and find the difference to be quite negligible.

I appreciate your desire to progress in strength, but doing so while in a deficit is probably not the most ideal way to achieve your goals, anything will work as long as you are consistent, but it may not be the most effective. I would pick a direction myself, calorie deficit and fat loss or strength training, but that’s just me.

3x5’s is a great routine, but I think you will stall sooner than later in a deficit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No offense DA but that does not make sense.
You can easily do the same amount of reps in every set as that's what is prescribed. So you will use a weight that you're capable of repeating the set format in and respecting the appropriate rest.
If you're lifting to failure, then by definition, they will say 3x max reps, not ''3 sets of X''.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm coming from 'skinny fat.'

Was never a big guy, did some training when I was younger and on and off through the years but never beyond a novice level. So I think the muscle gain is a lot easier for me than it would be for somebody who was already strong.

Essentially, I'm at a 5oo cal deficit on non-training days and 300 on training days. On non-training days I'll do either dips or chins throughout the day and I'll try to do a 4k walk. Also throwing in a HIIT workout once a week. I don't change the intake if I take a walk or do anything else so any exercise done is just extra calories lost.

I'm definitely getting stronger though slowly but surely. Just find that I'm starting to hit a wall with the squats (I'm going to dial those back a little weight wise and concentrate on doing more reps) and deadlifts.

I've had injuries in recent years that have finally recovered so Covid (while terrible) has come at a good time for me from that perspective.
I would consider increasing your calories to get out of the deficit, that will prevent you from stalling without putting on unwanted fat. You probably could get away with staying at maintenance with no need for a deficit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think it’s fine with 3x5’s assuming you are already squatting 3x per week, what you are doing Is exactly what starting strength recommends and you will get stronger.

This is a routine I stuck to for a couple of months and the 1set of deadlifts was about right for me, any more would have been overkill with the rest of the routine for me.
I’m alternating between two workouts. One has squats, the other deadlifts. I probably work out three times a week. On off days I do some additional exercises.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You didn't cluster properly. How did you go about it?
The idea behind a cluster is not to get as close as possible to your heaviest possible and try to hammer an extra rep.
For example:
if you do
2-2-1 reps @ 275#...that's 5 x 275 = 1375. So that means you lift 1375lbs per set of cluster.
Now...if you do 2-2-2 reps @ 260#..that's 6 x 260 = 1560lbs. So you would have lifted close to 200lbs more per set, then add in the number of sets 3-5..that's around 600-1000 more lbs of weight you could be lifting, which should definitely make you stronger.
So yes, you probably definitely didn't do the cluster properly, which is why you failed at it.
Yep, the weight was too heavy for clustering for sure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is no requirement to eat directly after the workout, as long as you are getting your protein intake within 12-24 hours I think you are ok. I have been IF for months and there is nothing comparable for calorie restriction and overall health.

I don’t even think about it, between 5pm-8pm I eat, I do agree that it’s better to time your meal post workout within a few hours, but if it doesn’t fit your schedule I don’t think it’s a big deal. I don’t think working out in fasted state is all that necessary either, I’ve done both and find the difference to be quite negligible.

I appreciate your desire to progress in strength, but doing so while in a deficit is probably not the most ideal way to achieve your goals, anything will work as long as you are consistent, but it may not be the most effective. I would pick a direction myself, calorie deficit and fat loss or strength training, but that’s just me.

3x5’s is a great routine, but I think you will stall sooner than later in a deficit.
My priority is fat loss. The strength training is to help promote it while maintaining muscle. If I can add newbie gains, so much the better. Right now though fat loss is the goal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would consider increasing your calories to get out of the deficit, that will prevent you from stalling without putting on unwanted fat. You probably could get away with staying at maintenance with no need for a deficit.
Once I lose some more fat, I will look at bulking. For now though, it’s about getting to at least a 30 inch waist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad