Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Speaking of pseudoscience,

There was this health food shop near where I used to live. They did have some fun things there that are otherwise hard to find, such as acai berry packs, weird teas, and weird nuts and seeds. I liked being able to find those things.

But the guy working there could be annoying. I was shopping for nut milks at some point, and I noticed that most of them had the majority of their calories in added sugar. What's the point of adding sugar to soy milk or coconut milk? So I asked him about this issue. He then picks up a different brand, and says "try this, they use rice syrup instead, so it's healthier".

It's not.

I was reminded of that as I read this article critical of holistic nutrition:
I Used To Be a Holistic Nutritionist

The article is very critical. That said I understand why alternative medicine exists. A lot of people don't get answers from conventional medicine, they're desperate, and thus they're willing to experiment.

I was speaking to somebody the other day, who has had a continuous headache for twenty three years. If that was me, I'd plausibly be consulting with a lot of quacks. The desperation must be incredible, and that renders making tinctures of coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, Himalayan pink salt, manuka honey, and steel cut oats more understandable. Though this person is not doing that, I would understand them if they were.

And FWIW, I'm considering an elimination diet, which counts as alternative medicine, but it seems reasonable to me.

Sugar makes everything taste better..it's really that simple.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
not really.

Used properly it can enhance the tase of your dishes.

Not many use it properly, just like with salt.
Yes..that's what I meant. It's why so many struggle to do a no sugar diet, they realize it's essentially in everything they like.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
DGS is just posturing up like a teenager would. He's lacking creativity and imagination. Pretty sure even his GF would be embarrassed by his lame response.
You guys were throwing shade at my girls education, I was just pointing out the irony.

There are definitely some non sweetened soy milks and such out there, but ya, they don’t taste as good. I don’t drink it straight up, put it in my smoothie, so I can handle the less tasty/healthier brands.

If you’re thirsty, you should drink water.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You guys were throwing shade at my girls education, I was just pointing out the irony.

There are definitely some non sweetened soy milks and such out there, but ya, they don’t taste as good. I don’t drink it straight up, put it in my smoothie, so I can handle the less tasty/healthier brands.

If you’re thirsty, you should drink water.

There was no irony. You have no idea how much I make or what I even do, and for the record I poked fun of you not your gf.

Agreed on just drinking water.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interesting article...saying that what we are consuming isnt really what's killing us, but more what we are not eating. Always been my view with balanced eating. Although I havent looked into their studies yet.
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/04/03/health/diet-global-deaths-study/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

“For the United States, India, Brazil, Pakistan, Nigeria, Russia, Egypt, Germany, Iran and Turkey, a lack of whole grains was the greatest risk factor; for many more countries, that came in second or third. That doesn't mean people in these countries ate no grains but rather that they ate processed grains, with little nutritional value and the potential for high calorie counts.”

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Interesting article...saying that what we are consuming isnt really what's killing us, but more what we are not eating. Always been my view with balanced eating. Although I havent looked into their studies yet.
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/04/03/health/diet-global-deaths-study/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

“For the United States, India, Brazil, Pakistan, Nigeria, Russia, Egypt, Germany, Iran and Turkey, a lack of whole grains was the greatest risk factor; for many more countries, that came in second or third. That doesn't mean people in these countries ate no grains but rather that they ate processed grains, with little nutritional value and the potential for high calorie counts.”

I can't speak to the other points, but on that particular point there is actually very little difference between whole wheat bread and white bread, for example. However, the latter is more likely to be eaten by poor people who experience tremendous psychosocial stress.

Similarly, the difference between white rice and brown rice is very small, and people were healthy off of white rice-based diets for thousands of years.

Based on what Im seeing, this study has many of the same problems as the egg study. Nutritional epidemiology is simply very problematic.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Speaking of pseudoscience,

There was this health food shop near where I used to live. They did have some fun things there that are otherwise hard to find, such as acai berry packs, weird teas, and weird nuts and seeds. I liked being able to find those things.

But the guy working there could be annoying. I was shopping for nut milks at some point, and I noticed that most of them had the majority of their calories in added sugar. What's the point of adding sugar to soy milk or coconut milk? So I asked him about this issue. He then picks up a different brand, and says "try this, they use rice syrup instead, so it's healthier".

It's not.

I was reminded of that as I read this article critical of holistic nutrition:
I Used To Be a Holistic Nutritionist

The article is very critical. That said I understand why alternative medicine exists. A lot of people don't get answers from conventional medicine, they're desperate, and thus they're willing to experiment.

I was speaking to somebody the other day, who has had a continuous headache for twenty three years. If that was me, I'd plausibly be consulting with a lot of quacks. The desperation must be incredible, and that renders making tinctures of coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, Himalayan pink salt, manuka honey, and steel cut oats more understandable. Though this person is not doing that, I would understand them if they were.

And FWIW, I'm considering an elimination diet, which counts as alternative medicine, but it seems reasonable to me.

My mother is going through a battle with cancer now. She has a rare form of cancer that started in the appendix. She was misdiagnosed for months, was scheduled to get surgery, but then did a follow-up CT Scan to find out the cancer had nearly doubled and that surgery would no longer be possible, the only other option conventionally was Chemo, which she had started and since stopped as it was not providing results and only making her sick. We were desperate doing reading and decided to try some CBD oil as alternative, but even if this does work in some cases the cancer has continued to progress to the point where all we can do now is wait and make her comfortable, so damn sad watching this.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My mother is going through a battle with cancer now. She has a rare form of cancer that started in the appendix. She was misdiagnosed for months, was scheduled to get surgery, but then did a follow-up CT Scan to find out the cancer had nearly doubled and that surgery would no longer be possible, the only other option conventionally was Chemo, which she had started and since stopped as it was not providing results and only making her sick. We were desperate doing reading and decided to try some CBD oil as alternative, but even if this does work in some cases the cancer has continued to progress to the point where all we can do now is wait and make her comfortable, so damn sad watching this.
Very sorry to hear that.

It's not uncommon for folks to not have the traditional surgery/radiation etc as options for them, and in these cases all you can really do is try the natural approach. Sometimes this approach can work, at least in the sense of extending life and improving the quality of it. Really do wish you and your mom the best during this tough time.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not scared of much, but cancer is something that is somewhat scary to me. Seeing a guy like Furious Pete lose both his balls in a matter of a few years, it's crazy. Not fun. Hopefully some advancement are made into this before I get into the window where cancer is an almost certainty.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Very sorry to hear that.

It's not uncommon for folks to not have the traditional surgery/radiation etc as options for them, and in these cases all you can really do is try the natural approach. Sometimes this approach can work, at least in the sense of extending life and improving the quality of it. Really do wish you and your mom the best during this tough time.
Thanks DGS, this is one devastating disease, it hurts everyone and I don't think there is a single family in the world that hasn't been touched by this disease in one way or another.

Seeing a strong woman so weak and vulnerable is tough. She has a good support system and a big family who all care about her, but its been rough. Diagnosed in August 2018. Its been stage IV since we found out. I wish there was something I could do, everyday I hope that there is some new discovery that can save her life, but that is mostly wishful thinking.

I dunno if lifestyle led to the disease or if it's just luck of the draw.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
IMG_20190406_120415.jpg
Healthy breakfast in a cute UK restaurant .

Smashed avo on toast, with poached eggs, salmon, and watercress.

But I have a problem ... How exactly am I supposed to eat the watercress with a knife and fork? Ugh, I feel uncivilized.

Reactions: groovejuice

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sorry to hear. That sucks.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
There was no irony. You have no idea how much I make or what I even do, and for the record I poked fun of you not your gf.

Agreed on just drinking water.

You’re a personal trainer in Hong Kong and you can afford to drop 1k on a diner on the weekends.

I’m thinking about reorienting my career right about now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad