Fit for Burmistrov

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I for one was kind of surprised the Canucks took a flyer on Burmistrov.....was basically untradeable last year by the Jets, and picked up by the 'Yotes via the waiver wire who then didn't even qualify him...never a good sign.

So what can the Canucks reasonably expect from this guy next season?.....where does he fit in?....does he have the defensive game to even be a fourth liner?....maybe a second-unit pp guy?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I for one was kind of surprised the Canucks took a flyer on Burmistrov.....was basically untradeable last year by the Jets, and picked up by the 'Yotes via the waiver wire who then didn't even qualify him...never a good sign.

So what can the Canucks reasonably expect from this guy next season?.....where does he fit in?....does he have the defensive game to even be a fourth liner?....maybe a second-unit pp guy?

I'm in 'I have no ****in clue" territory on this one. I've watched him plenty... but to guess how he's going to fit and where with the mish mash of bodies we have on 1-way is kinda impossible right now.

All depends on camp now...

You know there will be a couple disappointments in camp... and one or two of those disappointments will be reassigned...Who? no idea.. but if Burmistrov survives, then I would guess his usage would kind depend on who the waived player(s) is(are)..

If Burmistrov looks good but Gaunce and Chaput suck... then he may get a shot at Center... or if its Boucher and Rodin who blow... then wing and also would seem to a 2nd PP unit look in there for him.

seems like a highly variable situation at the moment.

Add in - what if a waiver exempt player also lights it up...
Injuries may also play their role...

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
It's just our little boy Jimmy bringing home another birdie with a broken wing so he can nurse him back to health :laugh:

He fits Benning and this scouting staffs MO to the T of players they have brought in over the last few years. They obviously "see" something in him to sign him to a 1-way but I got no clue what that is.

The best fit for him will be in Utica helping the youngsters develop. He's got good skill but I think it's pretty clear now that he's not a NHL player as he simply isn't physical enough and can't wrap his head around the pro game.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He's a warm body. Thats his role. Who cares if he sucks? We suck. If anything he'll help us lose. Great signing.

I concur.

He's no more than a 4th liner who can be counted on to score maybe 10 points for the season while eating up 7-10 minutes per game.

That is, if Green does not have a man crush on the guy like Dim Willie did with Megna and Chaput.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Expectations: Probably end up as 4C.

He didn't have trade value but also remember he was claimed off waivers by one of the first priority teams. That at least makes him better than the likes of Chaput/Megna/etc who easily cleared waivers :laugh:

Also he did play better for the Yotes (statistically) than he did for the Jets so there's hope he might have a bounce back/break out year. The other thing to note is his QO would be 1.6 mil... a 4th liner really isn't worth that so him not being qualified isn't exactly unexpected.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I concur.

He's no more than a 4th liner who can be counted on to score maybe 10 points for the season while eating up 7-10 minutes per game.

That is, if Green does not have a man crush on the guy like Dim Willie did with Megna and Chaput.

But will Green have a man crush?

I suspect what the other poster said....Goldobin's friend...it fits the MO of this regime.

Let see what happens :nod:

The bum and goldy could fill out our 3rd Line but I highly doubt it....just say'n :popcorn:

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
He's one of the few forwards we have on the roster who can actually kill penalties, so for that reason alone I bet he gets a shot in the lineup to see what he can do.

Right now for the PK we have Sutter and Eriksson who are decent, but after that? Dorsett who's always injured. Horvat who was frankly awful at it last year. Gaunce who might be good but doesn't have a ton of experience. Uh... Granlund? Things are pretty bleak without Burrows and Hansen.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
The Coyotes most likely would have signed him if we didn't have Strome, Keller, and Fischer most likely joining our roster this season, and Richardson returning from his gruesome injury last year.

You guys will like him. He really seemed motivated. I for one, was kind of bummed we didn't take a chance on him just in case of injury or depth problems, but he belongs in the NHL, and I don't think the Coyotes were prepared to offer him that guarantee.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Burmistrov actually had some pretty decent advanced stats on the PP last year. I was pretty happy we signed him as a 13th forward. Probably one of the most offensively capable depth guys we've had in awhile. We're going to suck anyway, so I'm pretty excited to see what Burmistrov does. If he finds something here like Santorelli did, great. If he sucks, great.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
He's one of the few forwards we have on the roster who can actually kill penalties, so for that reason alone I bet he gets a shot in the lineup to see what he can do.

Right now for the PK we have Sutter and Eriksson who are decent, but after that? Dorsett who's always injured. Horvat who was frankly awful at it last year. Gaunce who might be good but doesn't have a ton of experience. Uh... Granlund? Things are pretty bleak without Burrows and Hansen.

Sam *** Gagner, my dude. :yo: :nod:

I'm actually pretty stoked about Gagner too although he's basically just a slower Hansen.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Sam *** Gagner, my dude. :yo: :nod:

I'm actually pretty stoked about Gagner too although he's basically just a slower Hansen.

Haha, yeah, things are bad enough that Gagner may actually see some PK time this season — despite spending exactly *zero* minutes over the past three seasons killing penalties. (Even Arizona didn't trust him to do it in 2014-15 despite being the second-worst PK'ing team in the league.)

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Haha, yeah, things are bad enough that Gagner may actually see some PK time this season — despite spending exactly *zero* minutes over the past three seasons killing penalties. (Even Arizona didn't trust him to do it in 2014-15 despite being the second-worst PK'ing team in the league.)

This is why that advanced stats website guy getting hired by the Flames is a bad thing, I make dumb statements like this. I actually did look before I posted but since it wasn't immediately searchable, I just assumed GRITTY, HARD WORK, CHARACTER Gagner meant he was good on the PK. :laugh:

I'm still excited about Gagner though. Even if it is just rotating tires on a '79 Buick station wagon with 400k miles on it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is why that advanced stats website guy getting hired by the Flames is a bad thing, I make dumb statements like this. I actually did look before I posted but since it wasn't immediately searchable, I just assumed GRITTY, HARD WORK, CHARACTER Gagner meant he was good on the PK. :laugh:

I'm still excited about Gagner though. Even if it is just rotating tires on a '79 Buick station wagon with 400k miles on it.

?!?

Gagner is a complete soft creampuff with silky playmaking skills who is useful on the PP but has no grit or defensive acumen whatsoever.

As for Burmistrov, his role will depend on injuries. If we're healthy, he's going to struggle for icetime. If we get really banged up, he could fly up the roster as a skill player who has a bit of experience.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
For what it's worth, he played at a 44 point pace with the Coyotes last season.

He's fine for a reclamation project, most reclamation projects don't work but does it matter?

We're a trash team and if he does good he'll likely end up as a good bottom six player.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
?!?

Gagner is a complete soft creampuff with silky playmaking skills who is useful on the PP but has no grit or defensive acumen whatsoever.

As for Burmistrov, his role will depend on injuries. If we're healthy, he's going to struggle for icetime. If we get really banged up, he could fly up the roster as a skill player who has a bit of experience.

Isn't he a hard-working middle sixer? :huh: That's how I remembered him Edmonton?
Gagner has been a pretty productive player through his career but I haven't watched him since his time with the Oilers so I'll take your word for it. I admit, I'm already on my heels for assuming the Benning Administration made competent signings...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad