OT: Fishing Thread

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If anyone hasn't seen it, google "39 hours" on youtube. Neat concept of 4 teams across north america fishing for 3 days - each longest fish per species over 10 inches gets a point. Aaron Wiebe and Jay Siemens represent Manitoba (Uncut Angling).

As much as I love chasing muskies on LOTW, that show has me wanting to spend more time time this summer getting to know manitoba waters.

Looking to head up north for a camping/fishing trip next weekend. Weather looks glorious

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’ve been fishing at Lockport since I was very young with my dad. Nothing better than catching those monster cats.
Spent a lot of time with my girls there as they were growing up and hopefully in a couple years
the grandkids will continue the tradition.
I agree. Great bonding time.
I also really like Shoe Lake for the smallmouths.
And of course, the lake I’m named after, Mudturtle. :)

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
FWIW I firmly believe fishing is one of the best ways to bond with your kids, and it comes with the added bonus of teaching them about nature and the importance of its conservation. My wife and I took our son on family fishing trips when he was growing up and he now looks forward to going fishing with us every time he comes home for a summer break from his ridiculously hectic lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Good times indeed... :thumbu:

I agree with this. I grew up at a lake and spent a ton of time fishing and camping at other lakes as well in the Ducks and around the Parkland with my parents and grandparents. No better way to foster conservation, appreciation for natural resources and connection to the land at a young age. They were involved in water stewardship and my gramps worked for Ducks, so that was cool too.

The Narrows, The Ducks, Lake of the Prairies and Manipogo are some great fishing places. Lake Dauphin for ice fishing. There was a Buff sighting there a few Winters back

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
If anyone hasn't seen it, google "39 hours" on youtube. Neat concept of 4 teams across north america fishing for 3 days - each longest fish per species over 10 inches gets a point. Aaron Wiebe and Jay Siemens represent Manitoba (Uncut Angling).

As much as I love chasing muskies on LOTW, that show has me wanting to spend more time time this summer getting to know manitoba waters.

Looking to head up north for a camping/fishing trip next weekend. Weather looks glorious

I was just going to post about 39hrs. Great contest and the guys are pretty entertaining

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree with this. I grew up at a lake and spent a ton of time fishing and camping at other lakes as well in the Ducks and around the Parkland with my parents and grandparents. No better way to foster conservation, appreciation for natural resources and connection to the land at a young age. They were involved in water stewardship and my gramps worked for Ducks, so that was cool too.

The Narrows, The Ducks, Lake of the Prairies and Manipogo are some great fishing places. Lake Dauphin for ice fishing. There was a Buff sighting there a few Winters back

Did a lot of fishing with my grandfather at the creeks and rivers outside of Dauphin, he had a few fishing holes and one of his favorite spots was on the Wilson river. My dad and I would go out into the Duck Mountains to fish when I was a kid, our farm was close to the park.

I believe Buff hired Don Stokoltelny to take him ice fishing on the lake, if I'm not mistaken?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My dad guided as a young man because his father owned a fishing camp in Northern Saskatchewan (Lac La Ronge). As a kid my brother and I fished all summer there with my Dad and family friends. So much of our summers revolved around fishing since dad was a teacher. The memories are amazing.

As time went on and I moved away my buddies and I would make an annual pilgrimage to Saskatchewan for boys fishing trips led by my dad. Eventually I got too busy for the trip but my grown friends in their 40’s kept going annually over the decades until dad sold his place when he turned 75.

My dad will be 90 next January and he is still close with all my friends because of the bounding around fishing. This April dad or as my buddies call him “swerve” (short for swervin Mervin) and 4 of my friends are meeting in Kelowna to catch up.

5 summers ago I started fishing with my then 7 year old son at our lake (LOTW). My sons mom has a severe fish allergy so we only fish when she’s not there and not out of our boat. Max and I fish every second Wednesday in the summer with a guide. The memories are amazing. Max and I Are also coming up on our 4th annual father son fish trip (hockey teammates and dads). We do this at Crow Duck the last Weekend of May. The dads are hilarious and we will do this for as long as the boys want to go and if they stop we will keep going.

I fell out of love with fishing for a few decades but when I had a boy I wanted to pass on the gift my dad gave to me. Many of the best family memories I have with my dad and late brother (died of cystic Fibrosis far too young) were on the boat in the summer fishing and laughing. I hope my son feels that way one day when his dad is gone.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
My dad guided as a young man because his father owned a fishing camp in Northern Saskatchewan (Lac La Ronge). As a kid my brother and I fished all summer there with my Dad and family friends. So much of our summers revolved around fishing since dad was a teacher. The memories are amazing.

As time went on and I moved away my buddies and I would make an annual pilgrimage to Saskatchewan for boys fishing trips led by my dad. Eventually I got too busy for the trip but my grown friends in their 40’s kept going annually over the decades until dad sold his place when he turned 75.

My dad will be 90 next January and he is still close with all my friends because of the bounding around fishing. This April dad or as my buddies call him “swerve” (short for swervin Mervin) and 4 of my friends are meeting in Kelowna to catch up.

5 summers ago I started fishing with my then 7 year old son at our lake (LOTW). My sons mom has a severe fish allergy so we only fish when she’s not there and not out of our boat. Max and I fish every second Wednesday in the summer with a guide. The memories are amazing. Max and I Are also coming up on our 4th annual father son fish trip (hockey teammates and dads). We do this at Crow Duck the last Weekend of May. The dads are hilarious and we will do this for as long as the boys want to go and if they stop we will keep going.

I fell out of love with fishing for a few decades but when I had a boy I wanted to pass on the gift my dad gave to me. Many of the best family memories I have with my dad and late brother (died of cystic Fibrosis far too young) were on the boat in the summer fishing and laughing. I hope my son feels that way one day when his dad is gone.

Good job Dad! Less Xbox more tackle box.

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
I’ve been fishing at Lockport since I was very young with my dad. Nothing better than catching those monster cats.
Spent a lot of time with my girls there as they were growing up and hopefully in a couple years
the grandkids will continue the tradition.
I agree. Great bonding time.
I also really like Shoe Lake for the smallmouths.
And of course, the lake I’m named after, Mudturtle. :)
Love uncut! So stoked team mb won it.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Did a lot of fishing with my grandfather at the creeks and rivers outside of Dauphin, he had a few fishing holes and one of his favorite spots was on the Wilson river. My dad and I would go out into the Duck Mountains to fish when I was a kid, our farm was close to the park.

I believe Buff hired Don Stokoltelny to take him ice fishing on the lake, if I'm not mistaken?

It was an auction prize that featured fishing with Big Buff: Fly-in Ice Fishing with Buff!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad