OT: Fishing (and other outdoors pursuits) this Off-Season?

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I’m not sure if posting random, non hockey threads is allowed on this site, so mods, delete if so, thanks.

I’m just thinking that there would be a few other posters on here like me who wouldnt mind an extra thread about their off-season hobby, fishing!

I think it would be fun to discuss about spots or techniques or whatever kind of tips we can help each other out with. I fish probably more Northern Ontario than most here, but fishing is all the same once you land that fish you were hoping for lol.

Anyways I will post a picture or 2 if you guys get it going lol

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Just finished my hunting season here as far as guiding goes. Not far from getting on a plane to head back over there to Canada for the fall hunting season. I guide a few fishing trips when I get back to NZ spring, summer and early fall for brown, rainbow and King salmon.
We had a few good days fishing last month while the weather was to rough to get into the mountains. 2 huge rainbows and a reasonable brown caught on the same day.
Have been watching a few videos on the Lake Ontario King salmon. Way bigger than ours on average and look like a good bit of fun.
Not sure when the salmon run there but if I get over to watch a few leaf games I might try and grab a charter trip for them.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Fishing is all I think about especially summer. (Hunting in fall) I spend a lot of time chasing bass and fishing tournaments locally in Ontario. It’s been a weird year so far with the high water levels from the wet spring.

Reactions: Confucius

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Love fishing myself but have not done it for many years. Would love to try big game fishing. Here in Nova Scotia, when the bluefins run, massive tunas are hooked. Would like to give that a try some day.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Just finished my hunting season here as far as guiding goes. Not far from getting on a plane to head back over there to Canada for the fall hunting season. I guide a few fishing trips when I get back to NZ spring, summer and early fall for brown, rainbow and King salmon.
We had a few good days fishing last month while the weather was to rough to get into the mountains. 2 huge rainbows and a reasonable brown caught on the same day.
Have been watching a few videos on the Lake Ontario King salmon. Way bigger than ours on average and look like a good bit of fun.
Not sure when the salmon run there but if I get over to watch a few leaf games I might try and grab a charter trip for them.

Take a gander at the king salmon coming out of the skeena few people have nailed 60 -80 lbers alas I won't be able to make it down to terrace this year have to do to many renovations but will still hit up a few rivers for trout probably near jasper

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I’m not sure if posting random, non hockey threads is allowed on this site, so mods, delete if so, thanks.

I’m just thinking that there would be a few other posters on here like me who wouldnt mind an extra thread about their off-season hobby, fishing!

I think it would be fun to discuss about spots or techniques or whatever kind of tips we can help each other out with. I fish probably more Northern Ontario than most here, but fishing is all the same once you land that fish you were hoping for lol.

Anyways I will post a picture or 2 if you guys get it going lol

You new!?! What fishermen freely gives out their fishing spots!?! ;)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm a bit of a finish snob myself, and try and avoid fishing in areas that get a lot of pressure! I'm definitely more of a trout guy (Lakers/Brookies), but will dabble into Bass/Pike/Walleye...

I often fish in the Algoma regions for Lakers/Brookies, and recently started exploring east of North Bay... haven't had crazy success around North Bay yet, but I just know there are some good honey holes to find out there.

My favourite trip of the year is ice-out Lakers... some years, we'll hook into 100+ 2-5 Ilb lakers over a weekend! Only Moose and Deer camp rival it!

Would love to find some of those 5+ pound Algonquin Brookies!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Love fishing, bad day on the lake is always better then a good day at work. There’s a little town about 20 minutes south of Tobermory called Stokes Bay it’s my favourite fishing place. Bass, perch, pike, salmon, pickerel are all in the bay, which is on lake huron, and lots of rivers for trout right there too.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Take a gander at the king salmon coming out of the skeena few people have nailed 60 -80 lbers alas I won't be able to make it down to terrace this year have to do to many renovations but will still hit up a few rivers for trout probably near jasper
Bloody hell that's a big salmon.

We used to get fish close to 50lbs 30-40yrs ago. My biggest is only 21lbs. Now the average wild king salmon is around 10-15lbs. They're apparently getting caught as by catch at sea and their food at sea has depleted. Also returning to the rivers a year or 2 earlier than normal. Those are some of the theories anyway. Anything larger than what I have caught would be awesome.
When is the season over there? Does it fit in with a chance to go to a few home games for the Leafs?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Fishing is my second favourite outdoor activity (after hunting). Im heading out for lakers with a buddy on Saturday and taking my wife and daughter for largemouth on Sunday.

Does anyone have any tips for catching whitefish in the summer? They are a plentiful around Muskoka but I cant for the life of me figure them out in the summer. I catch them on tipups in the winter with a spreader and pinheads. That obviously doesnt work in the summer. Ive been told to drop shot them with a small minnow, targeting fish 15-20 ft down over much deeper water, but so far Ive not had much luck. Looking for a more consistent technique.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Bloody hell that's a big salmon.

We used to get fish close to 50lbs 30-40yrs ago. My biggest is only 21lbs. Now the average wild king salmon is around 10-15lbs. They're apparently getting caught as by catch at sea and their food at sea has depleted. Also returning to the rivers a year or 2 earlier than normal. Those are some of the theories anyway. Anything larger than what I have caught would be awesome.
When is the season over there? Does it fit in with a chance to go to a few home games for the Leafs?

not unless the leafs play the canucks in the finals. the rivers I was talking about is in British Columbia seasonally. (king- chinook) opens first week of june ends 3rd week of july. then the lul where you can catch pink salmon and chum salmon till mid august then they open up for coho and steelhead. coho can get up to 30lbs same with steelhead most in the 10-25 range tho. coho season usually ends in in October. I believe they have 2-3 steelhead seasons spring winter and fall.

pretty stoked got my moose and mule draw confirmed today

also if you end up on the Rupert,terrace coast you can always grab a charter for 500$ or so and go catch some halibut or ocean run dolly varden cod or salmon. usually catch a few things atleast . ive never been skunked .

by far they have the best mom and pa fish and chip restaurants I have ever tasted .
sorry I rambled. kinda bummed out now that I wont be making my trip lol

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
might want to check on the coastal fishing in BC , they shut down most of the sport salmin fishery and the Halibut min and max size window is smaller this year as well , the charters are still killing the Chicken Ranch out of Port Renfrew for legal salmon .

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Fishing is my second favourite outdoor activity (after hunting). Im heading out for lakers with a buddy on Saturday and taking my wife and daughter for largemouth on Sunday.

Does anyone have any tips for catching whitefish in the summer? They are a plentiful around Muskoka but I cant for the life of me figure them out in the summer. I catch them on tipups in the winter with a spreader and pinheads. That obviously doesnt work in the summer. Ive been told to drop shot them with a small minnow, targeting fish 15-20 ft down over much deeper water, but so far Ive not had much luck. Looking for a more consistent technique.

I know people fish them out of Owen Sound a bit. I think they anchor off, chum the water with corn (or something else) and jig. If you know where they are, jigging is probably your best bet.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
not unless the leafs play the canucks in the finals. the rivers I was talking about is in British Columbia seasonally. (king- chinook) opens first week of june ends 3rd week of july. then the lul where you can catch pink salmon and chum salmon till mid august then they open up for coho and steelhead. coho can get up to 30lbs same with steelhead most in the 10-25 range tho. coho season usually ends in in October. I believe they have 2-3 steelhead seasons spring winter and fall.

pretty stoked got my moose and mule draw confirmed today

also if you end up on the Rupert,terrace coast you can always grab a charter for 500$ or so and go catch some halibut or ocean run dolly varden cod or salmon. usually catch a few things atleast . ive never been skunked .

by far they have the best mom and pa fish and chip restaurants I have ever tasted .
sorry I rambled. kinda bummed out now that I wont be making my trip lol

Oh. My Canadian geography is obviously lacking. :D

I will be in BC next month but pretty much straight up to camp till the end of the hunting season.
I have caught a few dolly's, bull trout and greyling when a hunt finishes early. Really good fishing in our area. Have to release all the bulls tho.
Congrats on the draw. I haven't chased the mule deer but seen a fair few of them. Moose are my favorite animal to hunt there, hands down when rutting. They don't taste half bad either. :thumbu:
Stone sheep taste the best but apart from the terrain they live in, not as exciting as a big bull closing and grunting his way up to you.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
Went out to Rice Lake for the first time last Sunday. No doubt that lake has some big bass, but I threw everything I had at it and got skunked. It was still a nice day.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I live on (can see it out my window) what was once called "the best Atlantic Salmon river in the world" but alas recent years haven't been very kind. The bass sure has exploded though! When they get hopping, it literally looks like the water is boiling.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario

My father-in-law and his buddies always used a jig with 6 or so hooks, smaller minnows frozen in a U shape, just off a shelf where the water goes from warm to cold. They also used small hooks because they said they had very soft lips and littler hooks worked better. They always seemed to catch them but I never went out with them. Only whitefish I ever caught was by accident, in a channel, fishing perch, not what I was expecting.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
My father-in-law and his buddies always used a jig with 6 or so hooks, smaller minnows frozen in a U shape, just off a shelf where the water goes from warm to cold. They also used small hooks because they said they had very soft lips and littler hooks worked better. They always seemed to catch them but I never went out with them. Only whitefish I ever caught was by accident, in a channel, fishing perch, not what I was expecting.

How deep was the channel? I don’t typically associate white fish as a shallow / channel fish.... you sure it was a whitie?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Kawarthas is where it's at for Muskie.

I'm coming for you in late October, boys...strap on the feedbag now..

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Kawarthas is where it's at for Muskie.

I'm coming for you in late October, boys...strap on the feedbag now..

How do you fish Muskie in October? Any advice on technique / depth / habitat features would be much appreciated!

The lake my folk’s cottage is on has Musky, largest I’ve seen out of there was close to 50”! Still haven’t hooked into one!

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Went out to Rice Lake for the first time last Sunday. No doubt that lake has some big bass, but I threw everything I had at it and got skunked. It was still a nice day.

Rice can be a tough lake. It was always known for its largies but it’s now a small mouth lake. I don’t even focus on largies at least for tournaments. Dragging black tubes and black jigs on sand, rock and mussel beds is what I do. A dropshot can work too if they are tight lipped.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
This is my kind of thread! Lol I slayed walleye on the opener in Temagami. Caught a couple 8lbs pike. Had a buddy catch a 13 pound laker and 10 pound Wally. Fishing is always pretty good, so is the black fly bites!

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
btrout.jpg
dan1.jpg
I'm fortunate enough to live a couple hours drive from Lake Nipigon. I have a few 3-4 day trips planned soon.

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
those interested in ice fishing id highly recommend checking out lake Winnipeg in the winter they have had record setting catches the last couple years here are a few picks ahh screw it a video is worth more words

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Oh. My Canadian geography is obviously lacking. :D

I will be in BC next month but pretty much straight up to camp till the end of the hunting season.
I have caught a few dolly's, bull trout and greyling when a hunt finishes early. Really good fishing in our area. Have to release all the bulls tho.
Congrats on the draw. I haven't chased the mule deer but seen a fair few of them. Moose are my favorite animal to hunt there, hands down when rutting. They don't taste half bad either. :thumbu:
Stone sheep taste the best but apart from the terrain they live in, not as exciting as a big bull closing and grunting his way up to you.

sorry had to look up what the hell stone sheep were. we call them big horn . for the most part. yeah it should be fun hopefully its gonna be a one and done' for the moose . cant wait to have it up on the stand cutting off the tenderloin for the killers dinner. moose are tricky creatures. ive had it where ive went up one side of a hill calling a bull and get to the top and a cow is standing looking at me ..(scared the piss right out of me) but yeah if you ever find yourself up at the Skeena let me know I can tell you a couple places you can go sit on a sand bar and get the rays while waiting to hear your bell ring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad