OT: Fishing (and other outdoors pursuits) this Off-Season?

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Ha great thread. I just got in from fishing a few minutes ago here at my cottage on Ahmic lake (part of Magnetawan River). Daughter and I each caught a small pike. They've really exploded the past two years after a being so scarce.

We will probably head out in another hour or so once the moskitoes go to bed and do some night fishing. See if we can land a pickerel for lunch tomorrow.

When down in Niagara (where I live) we hit up whirlpool sometimes, but I've yet to land a Salmon.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
sorry had to look up what the hell stone sheep were. we call them big horn . for the most part. yeah it should be fun hopefully its gonna be a one and done' for the moose . cant wait to have it up on the stand cutting off the tenderloin for the killers dinner. moose are tricky creatures. ive had it where ive went up one side of a hill calling a bull and get to the top and a cow is standing looking at me ..(scared the piss right out of me) but yeah if you ever find yourself up at the Skeena let me know I can tell you a couple places you can go sit on a sand bar and get the rays while waiting to hear your bell ring

Bell ring? Rays?
Ya lost me.:D
If you're talking eagle or sting rays I hate the bastards. They can ruin a good days snapper fishing here. :D

Big horn are a different sheep to Stone no? The sheep hunters I have guided try and get the lot. Dall, stone, bighorn and desert.
Costs a friggen fortune. But they get to be in some club if they get the lot. I love hunting and guiding but not when it is a competition.
Thanks for the offer:thumbu:
If you ever get to NZ you can hunt and fish all year round.
We have outstanding brown and Rainbow trout. I prefer saltwater fishing and diving as the fish and crays just taste better.
The world record rainbow was apparently caught here a few months ago. Over 45lbs but it has been kept quiet till the fish is taxidermied.
I live on the doorstep of arguably the best Chamois and Himalayan Thar hunting in the world. Can go knock over a red deer anytime you want for the freezer on public or private land. Awesome waterfoul hunting as well. Mallard, Canada geese and a few other species.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Ha great thread. I just got in from fishing a few minutes ago here at my cottage on Ahmic lake (part of Magnetawan River). Daughter and I each caught a small pike. They've really exploded the past two years after a being so scarce.

We will probably head out in another hour or so once the moskitoes go to bed and do some night fishing. See if we can land a pickerel for lunch tomorrow.

When down in Niagara (where I live) we hit up whirlpool sometimes, but I've yet to land a Salmon.
You're not fishing for salmon now in Niagara?

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Bell ring? Rays?
If you're talking eagle or sting rays I hate the bastards. They can ruin a good days snapper fishing here. :D

haha no . probably had a 100 better ways to make the reference but what it was meant to be was a bell on your rod so you know when the fish are biting . incase you aren't paying attention lol. slacker fishing ( hook up your bait sinker and float at the depth you want to fish cast to where 2 rivers meet and wait for the bell to ring) sorry for the confusion

Big horn are a different sheep to Stone no? The sheep hunters I have guided try and get the lot. Dall, stone, bighorn and desert.
Costs a friggen fortune. But they get to be in some club if they get the lot. I love hunting and guiding but not when it is a competition.

yeah you are correct I had a brainfart. forgot about the ones up in northern bc/Yukon area . yeah my uncle wanted to do his triple crown but he ended up having his back fuzed together and he has issues with mobility and wipes out a lot. pretty sure all he needed was either the dessert or the stone cant remember off hand. at one point he should have had the record for big horn in the late 80s. but he shot it off a peak and it went tumbling down the other side of the mountain. broke a few details that would have made it legit.

yeah its always been on my bucket list . amazing country top to bottom that's what i hear at least.

We have outstanding brown and Rainbow trout. I prefer saltwater fishing and diving as the fish and crays just taste better.
The world record rainbow was apparently caught here a few months ago. Over 45lbs but it has been kept quiet till the fish is taxidermied.
I live on the doorstep of arguably the best Chamois and Himalayan Thar hunting in the world. Can go knock over a red deer anytime you want for the freezer on public or private land. Awesome waterfoul hunting as well. Mallard, Canada geese and a few other species.

yeah within 4 hours of where i am i can fish for pike pickerel lake trout brown trout cuthroat rainbow white fish jumbo white fish but alas no oceans to be seen. in alberta . but lots of fishing . we finally finished our last moose so it was time for another one the last one lasted 4 years and still have tons of sausage. that trout must have been unreal. i couldn't imagine a rainbow that size think the biggest i have ever caught was in the 5-7 range. the fight was unreal.

I find when it comes to most fish at least to the fresh water species here. they all taste so much better caught out of cold to ice cold rivers over to most lakes. unless you get a massive body of water that has frigid depths.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Bell ring? Rays?

haha no . probably had a 100 better ways to make the reference but what it was meant to be was a bell on your rod so you know when the fish are biting . incase you aren't paying attention lol. slacker fishing ( hook up your bait sinker and float at the depth you want to fish cast to where 2 rivers meet and wait for the bell to ring) sorry for the confusion

yeah you are correct I had a brainfart. forgot about the ones up in northern bc/Yukon area . yeah my uncle wanted to do his triple crown but he ended up having his back fuzed together and he has issues with mobility and wipes out a lot. pretty sure all he needed was either the dessert or the stone cant remember off hand. at one point he should have had the record for big horn in the late 80s. but he shot it off a peak and it went tumbling down the other side of the mountain. broke a few details that would have made it legit.

yeah its always been on my bucket list . amazing country top to bottom that's what i hear at least.

yeah within 4 hours of where i am i can fish for pike pickerel lake trout brown trout cuthroat rainbow white fish jumbo white fish but alas no oceans to be seen. in alberta . but lots of fishing . we finally finished our last moose so it was time for another one the last one lasted 4 years and still have tons of sausage. that trout must have been unreal. i couldn't imagine a rainbow that size think the biggest i have ever caught was in the 5-7 range. the fight was unreal.

I find when it comes to most fish at least to the fresh water species here. they all taste so much better caught out of cold to ice cold rivers over to most lakes. unless you get a massive body of water that has frigid depths.
Good thing about little old NZ is you're never more than an hours and a half's drive from salt water.

I totally agree on cold water leads to better eating fish.
I am looking forward to getting back to those mountains in BC.
Hope you have a good season hunting and fishing:thumbu:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Haven't found much time in recent months to go to my preferred spots around Parry Sound or the Kawarthas but I'm going to head out next weekend to fish the Conestoga near Arthur. Some real nice smallies in that river and a good amount of pike. Not huge pike but good enough. I prefer buzzbaits for bass this time of year, sooo much fun watching them smash it. I know a lot of anglers dont like pike but it's my favorite to fish for. Pike fishing in july/August is probably the worst time to target them as they're really sluggish so I'll usually go with a slow retrieve jointed lure, a slow retrieve spook or a Yamamoto worm with a Carolina rig. Cant wait until fall to get the big gear out and go for some monster pike and musky.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Went out to Rice Lake for the first time last Sunday. No doubt that lake has some big bass, but I threw everything I had at it and got skunked. It was still a nice day.
It's funny, I've heard so many people talk about rice and how great it is but when me and the boys go for the day we get pretty much skunked every time. Biggest fish we've pulled out between the 3 of us in multiple trips was a 2 lb bass.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I like to fish. I'm a catch and release kinda guy. I don't want to eat the fish, I just wanna make it late for something.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
How deep was the channel? I don’t typically associate white fish as a shallow / channel fish.... you sure it was a whitie?
Channel was only about 6 feet at the most and yes it was definitely a whitefish. Never tried fishing them before so didn’t even know what it was. I took it to the bait store beside the channel and he told me what it was. Whitefish fishing is big business there so only thing we figured is that maybe it came off one of the fishing boats.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I live in a town on Georgian Bay. Awesome Fishing.

My retired father was out almost every day this week and catches his limit each time (Bass).

Nothing better then a good fish fry.

RAB FERD

Oct 2, 2013
Love fishing. Winter and summer!

Got my first muskie of the year (40") trolling on Canada day weekend.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I don't mind fishing, don't eat what I catch though, just catch and release. Have only gone once this year though. I would go before work the last 2 years, get to my spot about 6AM, and hang out for 45 mins or so then home to get ready for work. Keep in mind I live a block and half from the Detroit River. Days off I stay longer. Detroit River (yes it's clean now - you won't grow a 3rd arm from eating the fish) is loaded with perch and pickerel and bass. I just fish from shore and have landed quite a few perch and even a nice 3lb or so smallmouth bass.

Apparently, just a few minutes down the road in Belle River (home of Tie Domi) there is a big muskie tournament every year on Lake St. Clair and supposedly one of the best muskie fishing areas in Canada (from what I've been told).

If I had a boat, or access to one, I'd probably go more often. My brother in law goes with his buddy and my nephew out on the Detroit River near Lake Erie and they consistently pull in a lot of perch and pickerel (walleye). Fishing is good around here, just have to stay out of the way of the big ships on the river. However....nobody in my house is really much into eating fish. I'll occasionally get perch or pickerel if we go out to eat - it's always freshly caught around here.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don't mind fishing, don't eat what I catch though, just catch and release. Have only gone once this year though. I would go before work the last 2 years, get to my spot about 6AM, and hang out for 45 mins or so then home to get ready for work. Keep in mind I live a block and half from the Detroit River. Days off I stay longer. Detroit River (yes it's clean now - you won't grow a 3rd arm from eating the fish) is loaded with perch and pickerel and bass. I just fish from shore and have landed quite a few perch and even a nice 3lb or so smallmouth bass.

Apparently, just a few minutes down the road in Belle River (home of Tie Domi) there is a big muskie tournament every year on Lake St. Clair and supposedly one of the best muskie fishing areas in Canada (from what I've been told).

If I had a boat, or access to one, I'd probably go more often. My brother in law goes with his buddy and my nephew out on the Detroit River near Lake Erie and they consistently pull in a lot of perch and pickerel (walleye). Fishing is good around here, just have to stay out of the way of the big ships on the river. However....nobody in my house is really much into eating fish. I'll occasionally get perch or pickerel if we go out to eat - it's always freshly caught around here.

Lake Erie perch is delicious.

Port Dover is close to where some relatives live and we usually go there at least once when visiting them.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Port Dover is close to where some relatives live and we usually go there at least once when visiting them.
I used to fill the live well with jumbo perch in Lake Simcoe, 12"-14" huge fish on ultralight gear!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Anyone fish Lake Wilcox in Oak Ridges recently? I used to fish it a lot as a teenager, 20 - 25 years ago. Used to catch some big largemouth and pike, but heard rumours that the water quality was going south and fish were dying off. They had this cool board walk in the shallows where you could come and watch the pike spawn in the spring. It's a kettle lake and has a weedline that goes around the entire lake, you just follow it all morning picking off bass/pike.....again, that's the way it used to be. Would love to know if fishing is still good there.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

One day last summer, I had a week vacation, and as I said, the Detroit River is a block and half from my house and this park has a fishing platform (concrete area on other side of fence, open to the river). I used a pickerel rig from shore and was pulling up 2 perch at a time. I could've filled my quota quite easily, but nobody at my place really likes fish, so back they went.

I've actually pulled quite a variety from the river - perch, pickerel, catfish (couple different kinds), tons of sheephead, small and large mouth bass, rock bass, northern pike. I even caught this cool, quite large mudpuppy one time. I know there is northern pike, a guy 5 feet away from me got one last summer. Also carp. Can regularly see longnose gar swimming by - impossible to catch it seems. So many good spots too from shore, plus the river gets quite deep (over 40 ft - have the big ships going by all the time). Apparently the big sturgeon are making a big comeback too.

Another interesting point (if anyone cares), each spring people flock to Windsor to fish for silver bass - the riverfront is literally elbow to elbow with people from the GTA area (or further?) coming for the silver bass run.

Not sure if there are any trout or salmon this far south. Of course, while fishing here, you can also feed the gulls with the gobey's you catch (damn invasive species!).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
My favorite fishing
  • trolling lake Ontario for salmon, rainbows, launching at the Leslie Street Spit
  • Lake Simcoe smallmouth and jumbo perch fishing
  • Lake Nipissing walleye fishing

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bell ring? Rays?

If I'm going into the Bush I'm looking for goats and pigs in Taranaki

The young goats are great eating and an easier hunt, the pigs taste like absolute **** but the hunt is a ton of enjoyment

If I'm down south I really like the sea run trout on the West coast and going into the Bush looking for deer

The whitebait, Paua and crays don't exactly hurt either if your looking for a decent feed

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You new!?! What fishermen freely gives out their fishing spots!?! ;)
Me I always tell everybody, my wife actually gives me crap about my loose lips. Just last week she said if anybody asks where you catch your fish just say 2 feet of water. lol

Reactions: MyBudJT

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
If I'm going into the Bush I'm looking for goats and pigs in Taranaki

The young goats are great eating and an easier hunt, the pigs taste like absolute **** but the hunt is a ton of enjoyment

If I'm down south I really like the sea run trout on the West coast and going into the Bush looking for deer

The whitebait, Paua and crays don't exactly hurt either if your looking for a decent feed
Next time you're down the on the west coast give me a yell.
I am always out doing something hunting or fishing wise. And it would be good to meet a Leaf fan here.
You're the only one I know of besides myself
I don't chase pigs that often but they taste great here. Especially the high country ones that live in tussock.
I always have whitebait in the freezer. :thumbu:

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad