Injury Report: Fisher injured 4-6 months

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Actually Fisher and Jokinen's stats (last year) and age are similar. Fish a little better +-; Olli more games played.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Just let the kids play. If we don't make the playoffs, we don't make the playoffs. Better that then selling the farm for a washed up has been.

If we don't make the playoffs, Poile gets the ax. Isn't that what everyone wants anyways on here? He has made three decent additions this summer (though he still needs two top six forwards). Let's give it a ride and see what happens. If we suck, oh well we pick high in a loaded draft.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Just let the kids play. If we don't make the playoffs, we don't make the playoffs. Better that then selling the farm for a washed up has been.

If we don't make the playoffs, Poile gets the ax. Isn't that what everyone wants anyways on here? He has made three decent additions this summer (though he still needs two top six forwards). Let's give it a ride and see what happens. If we suck, oh well we pick high in a loaded draft.

Or, as someone mentioned in another thread, we could always sign nutcase Ribeiro to a 1 year deal and have an actual top 6 center.... :help:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

This has been my thoughts this entire time, even before the injury.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Or, as someone mentioned in another thread, we could always sign nutcase Ribeiro to a 1 year deal and have an actual top 6 center.... :help:

Ribeiro can pass and has speed with decent hands. That's the only reason I want him. He's a nutcase, but he'd be less than a gamble (skill wise) than Wilson on the top line with Neal.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
who has a narcotics problem but sure!

There's nothing else out there. It's Roy/Ribeiro or stick to what we have. I don't think Poile is getting anywhere on getting a #1 center, and neither guy listed is a #1, but could Ribeiro be an upgrade over Wilson on the top line? From what Wilson has shown, I think so. I'd love to be wrong though. Trust me, Ribeiro is not the type of guy I want in the locker room but at this point a one year deal can't do much damage.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm kind of at the point that I would rather stink it up with Wilson and the young bucks than to sign someone's leftovers or nut cases.

That said I also understand not just throwing really young guys to the wolves. At the same time its not like we are going to be competing for the cup, so I don't really want Poile to load up on one year deals so the young guys don't get a shot. We honestly have several guys in the minors that either need to get a chance to play and prove themselves or we need to send them on.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
3 years in a row outside the playoffs, at what point does the captain ask to be moved to a competitor? With Neal only under contract for 3 more seasons, do we have the luxury of throwing away a season or two if we hope to keep him here past that time frame? How badly does the organization need a shot at playoff revenue? How would decreased attendance and decreased revenue, if we just play the kids and crap the bed, affect the team's payroll going forward?

I don't think it's simple to just say "well, if we tank, we tank, whatever."

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
3 years in a row outside the playoffs, at what point does the captain ask to be moved to a competitor? With Neal only under contract for 3 more seasons, do we have the luxury of throwing away a season or two if we hope to keep him here past that time frame? How badly does the organization need a shot at playoff revenue? How would decreased attendance and decreased revenue, if we just play the kids and crap the bed, affect the team's payroll going forward?

Its not, but not just as simple as " sign a bunch of guys and make the playoffs" either.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Its not, but not just as simple as " sign a bunch of guys and make the playoffs" either.

Of course not. It's just a lot easier for us to be fine blowing off a season or two when the reality for the organization probably makes that an extremely undesirable outcome. I think they have to try to be competitive, even if they do fall short.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville

To be a real cup contender we will have to be bad first. That generally means more than two seasons. Look at the teams that have won the cup over the past 9 years.

Carolina win in 2006. They picked 3rd in 2005, 4th in 2004, and 2nd in 2003. That is 3 years of top 5 picks and then they win the cup.

The ducks win in 2007. They picked 2nd in 2005, 9th in 2004, 19th and 28th in 2003 getting Getzlaf and Perry (Amazing drafting or luck but whatever)

Wings win in 2008. The only team on this list that hasn't had a top 10 pick shortly before winning the cup.

Pens win in 2009. They picked 2nd in 2004, 1st in 2005, and 2nd in 2006.

Blackhawks won in 2010 and 2013. They picked 7th in 2005, 2nd in 2006, and 1st in 2007.

Boston win in 2011. They picked 5th in 2006, 8th in 2007, and 16th in 2008.

LA won in 2012 and this year. They picked 11th in 2005, 11th and 17th in 2006, 4th in 2007, 2nd and 13th in 2008, and 5th in 2009.

So 8 of the past 9 cup champions had 3+ years of high picks leading up to their cup win. Being in a small market where free agents/trades are harder to come by seemingly, building through the draft is our best if not only option. We picked 4th two drafts ago and 11th this past draft. If we pick in the top 5 this year or get lucky enough to snag one of the top two picks I think we will be set up for the future and a chance at winning a cup. If we trend toward barely making or missing the playoffs and 1st-2nd round exits we will remain in that pool of teams until we either get really lucky in the draft or we fail hard in the draft and end up a bottom feeder again.

I honestly feel the Nashville fan base is strong enough to stick through tough times. We have been there before and pulled together. I don't see attendance falling to a point where it would be a major issue once we start winning again. This team really has a strong foundation and we really only lack a #1 center imo to being able to compete truely for a cup. Sadly the only way I see us getting a real #1 is if we have another bad year and we are able to draft one.

Goes to show how the 2013 really didn't work well for us even though we got a great player in Jones. How many teams out there want or need 2 elite right handed d-men? Especially when you lack forwards. Barkov or Mack would have set us up for the future where Jones helps in some cases but really only made Klein expendable. If Poile was in the win now at all costs mode Jones would be the one to move in order to attract that #1 center but with Klein gone that ship has sailed.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

This has been my thoughts this entire time, even before the injury.

if that had been acceptable to the owners, Trotz would still be here

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
fishers injury pretty much guarantees a spot on the team for forsberg. as long as no other moves are made to the top 6. very likely with poile

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Fisher is our most well-rounded center, sure, but I wouldn't say he is our best center by far.

About the only center I would say has been the better center than Fisher is Craig Smith as far as w/ the roster we had this past season. The rest not so much.....at least not yet....maybe w/ more experience or ice time that will change though. Right now except for Smith though they aren't there yet. I actually have more confidence in Jarnkrok than I do w/ Wilson at this time just from watching his play on the ice. We will need Wilson to really step up his game next season to fill in the void but w/ Neal on the team that should help out alot. I think having Neal w/ Wilson might work. Wilson can deliver the timely passes (as imo I see Wilson more of a playmaker than finisher at this moment) and Neal can be the finisher assuming if they are even paired up. But it may be best to just have Wilson on a different line to just force him to grow as a player and finisher to be a more well rounded player. Craig Smith imo seems to have more of that balance (i.e. play making skills plus finisher skills). Will just have to see how the coaching staff will have the lineup for next year to get a better idea of whether our lines will be strong or not.

I still think w/ the players we have we will be a competitive, strong team. Don't think this team will "crap the bed". Just think they might still be the barely missed or make the playoffs kind of team. Decent team just not great team. Still think we are a top player or two short. But we do have a new coach that has been known to get teams far into the playoffs so I'm in the wait to see mode. The beginning of the season will give me a better feel of how this team will turn out or not.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
if that had been acceptable to the owners, Trotz would still be here

Trotz never played the youth.

I get what people are saying, but the reality is you don't win cups without top end talent. We can't get top end talent in FA. We don't have the pieces to trade for top end talent without giving up substantial pieces of our roster.

We have to draft them. Now, we can hope we hit gold (there maybe some fools gold) or we can get higher picks with a better chance at a very good player.

I am not saying purposely tank, I am saying play with what we got and oh well if it doesn't work out. Move the vets at the deadline. Stock up picks. Trade picks at draft for decent returns. Draft high in the first. Use money saved from vets to get key FA or two (if possible). Compete the next year. This makes perfect sense to me.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I think the real question going into next season is will we be getting a healthy and "stand on his head" Peks. If we get that, anything is possible for next season.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Trotz never played the youth.

I get what people are saying, but the reality is you don't win cups without top end talent. We can't get top end talent in FA. We don't have the pieces to trade for top end talent without giving up substantial pieces of our roster.

We have to draft them. Now, we can hope we hit gold (there maybe some fools gold) or we can get higher picks with a better chance at a very good player.

I am not saying purposely tank, I am saying play with what we got and oh well if it doesn't work out. Move the vets at the deadline. Stock up picks. Trade picks at draft for decent returns. Draft high in the first. Use money saved from vets to get key FA or two (if possible). Compete the next year. This makes perfect sense to me.

I hear what you are saying and as a fan I wouldnt have a problem with it, but the guys shelling out the millions of dollars dont see it that way. They expected us to be back in the playoffs last year, and when it didnt happen, heads started rolling, and its clear that is the expectation this year. So Poile has to either fall on his swoord and help the next GM by not signing or trading for anyone and abetting a tank season, or else he does whatever he can to to try to put a team on the ice that will have a shot at scratching into the playoffs

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Well, is it a 4-6 month recovery period starting from October, or a 4-6 month recovery period starting from right now?

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Well, is it a 4-6 month recovery period starting from October, or a 4-6 month recovery period starting from right now?

Starting right now. So the earliest Fisher could be back in November but more likely not till January.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I hear what you are saying and as a fan I wouldnt have a problem with it, but the guys shelling out the millions of dollars dont see it that way. They expected us to be back in the playoffs last year, and when it didnt happen, heads started rolling, and its clear that is the expectation this year. So Poile has to either fall on his swoord and help the next GM by not signing or trading for anyone and abetting a tank season, or else he does whatever he can to to try to put a team on the ice that will have a shot at scratching into the playoffs

We are 14m from the cap. That's not desperation, desperation puts a full pitch to Spezza, desperation makes a full pitch to Statsny.

Our opening day roster would likely be below the floor, since Fisher is on IR.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
We are 14m from the cap. That's not desperation, desperation puts a full pitch to Spezza, desperation makes a full pitch to Statsny.

Our opening day roster would likely be below the floor, since Fisher is on IR.

Doesn't sound like it would work that way.
From capgeek:

Teams are eligible to receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games and 24 days. In such cases, the team can place the player on long-term injured reserve (LTIR).
The placement of a player on LTIR does not remove the player's cap hit from the team's cap payroll — the cap hit continues to count toward the team’s cap payroll as it always did. The placement of a player on LTIR also does not provide the team with any additional cap-space savings that can be “banked†for future use while the team operates below the upper limit.
Placing a player on LTIR only provides relief if the team's cap payroll or "Averaged Club Salary" begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of LTI relief is limited to the amount by which the team has exceeded the upper limit — less the amount of cap space the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place. That means the amount of LTI relief is not the entire amount of the injured player's salary, although teams often make small transactions to ensure it is close.
Eligible long-term injury space is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad