Advice: Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
did you just make that up?

Nope, it's true.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

Rule 9.6 of the section on proper uniforms/equipment, you can wear a cage if you have an injury only. There was a player on Dallas, I believe, who wore a cage for an entire season because his nose was pretty much paste at that point IIRC, but I don't think just anyone can wear it consistently without reason.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Nope, it's true.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

Rule 9.6 of the section on proper uniforms/equipment, you can wear a cage if you have an injury only. There was a player on Dallas, I believe, who wore a cage for an entire season because his nose was pretty much paste at that point IIRC, but I don't think just anyone can wear it consistently without reason.

Interesting, any idea as to the thought process behind that? I guess they feel a guy skating around with a metal cage can do more damage than a puck, stick, skate, any object hitting a player in the face?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting, any idea as to the thought process behind that? I guess they feel a guy skating around with a metal cage can do more damage than a puck, stick, skate, any object hitting a player in the face?

Intentionally or not, Paille totally headbutts him in the face. Malkin's wearing a visor and he still can't get away from it, and I think that the league would be worried about stuff like that becoming widespread if anyone could wear them (obviously not if EVERYBODY wore them!)

What's kind of interesting is that in the video he's wearing a cage, not a full shield. It seems like most NHL players go that route. I wonder why that is, instead of the full shield? You'd think that'd be more familiar, since they normally wear visors? I've never worn a full shield, but I always assumed it'd give better vision than the cage I currently sport.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
I either wear full cage or no cage at all. It just depends on who I am playing with.

I am currently playing with a pretty up tempo group for shinny, so I go full cage.

No advice on making the switch though. I have never used any kind of visor. Just cage/no cage.

I hear ya, I'm currently playing with a really good group whom comprise of former junior and college players, but no one takes any slapshots even though they can al rip 'em... so I'm not using a cage.

But, with the guys at work is another story. During my first game with them, I had a couple of good ones from the hardest shooter on the team, go by my head from shots at the top of the circle. RECKLESS. I went back to the dressing room and got my cage on after the 2nd time. They aren't paying for my time missed.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
My .02

It's absolutely dumb to play at any level without full face protection unless your getting paid.

I used a full cage my whole career up until a few months ago. Went with a Avision full shield. There are pluses and minuses to both.

Cage- no fog, scratch, moisture issues. Face gets less hot. Downside is you have bars in front of your eyes=worse vision. There's a reason almost every other sport/profession uses some kind of clear shield for face protection. You simply can see better.

Avision mask-better vision hands down. It has made me a better player. No "fog" issues. Downside-face gets hotter, I sweat a lot and it lands on the mask so you have to keep wiping it off. Sure you can see fine with a cage but its those situations where you get a split second to look up and get a snapshot of the ice. I find its just clearer with the shield and I'm making better plays because of it.

At the end of the day it's whatever makes me a better player. I use the full shield and wipe the sweat off between shifts. It's a pita, but I'll take the better vision. If it gets scratched then replace it.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Bauer true vision cages are great

7500, 9900, reakt

thin bars, ultra light, titanium(?).

there's a plenty of great players that used cages. Justin Schultz, nichushkin

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
who cares, you're safer in the bowl and it's not like your getting paid/have team-bought insurance in case you do get injured.

As for the topic of dusters, I propose that you grow a fat duster a la Mike Brown. If anyone tries to chirp ya with the ol' "hey buddy roll down your window" line just stare them dead in the eyes as they're intimidated by your facial hair. Both problems will be solved, and you'll have a sweet mustache.

Thesensation19*

Um, he doesn't wear a cage for the same reason all other NHLers don't wear cages. It's outlawed equipment unless a player has an injury.

Not that they would wear a cage if they could anyways....

Is that true? I heard about that in another thread but everyone wasnt sure if that outlaw of "metail equipment" included cages.

Either way. All I was saying was that you think they would be allowed to, that more people would do it. Like I said, it comes down to being available to your team or what the hell is the point of playing. Who cares how good Crosby or Staal or whoever is if they the smallest incidents like a puck to the face causes you to miss big minutes and even more impotantly games and playoffs.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Is that true? I heard about that in another thread but everyone wasnt sure if that outlaw of "metail equipment" included cages.

Either way. All I was saying was that you think they would be allowed to, that more people would do it. Like I said, it comes down to being available to your team or what the hell is the point of playing. Who cares how good Crosby or Staal or whoever is if they the smallest incidents like a puck to the face causes you to miss big minutes and even more impotantly games and playoffs.

No, no one would wear one even if they were allowed.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/2012-13_RuleBook.pdf

9.6 Dangerous Equipment -
The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply with the Referees’ instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.
A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be
worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury.
In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor. If any opposing Club obj ects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Fishbowls never, ever look right. Even worse, I'd say at least 90% of the guys who I've seen wear them are terrible.

But even worse are the guys who come out there with a goalie cat eye cage on their helmet. Looks so friggin' stupid.

Personally, I go half shield, but I can understand those who say not to in adult hockey. I'd go full cage if I had to have full protection.

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
If you wear a fishbowl you got my respect man. Not many people will wear them because their too scared of getting chirped. If your really good you can wear whatever you want, there's a guy who wears a blue visor on rec league but he probably has atleast a 4 ppg average haha. It's like Crosby, he's the best player in the world atm, and he can wear whatever he wants. If you can have a laugh at chirpers then next shift go score a goal or two then you'll shut those chirpers up.

IMO the people with the most chirps are the 3rd and 4th line benchwarmers

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I personally think fish-bowls look ridiculous on anyone over the age of 18, but my opinion shouldn't stop anyone from wearing what they want to wear.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
All the comments on appearance weighing in on the decision not to consider a "fishbowl". I have to ask are all you guys under 20? If not I'm surprised that's even a consideration. I mean who are you trying to look cool for on the ice at a men's league game? A bunch of sweaty guys? You should start the transition into being your own man. That usually comes with paying bills and moving out of the parents basement though lol

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
All the comments on appearance weighing in on the decision not to consider a "fishbowl". I have to ask are all you guys under 20? If not I'm surprised that's even a consideration. I mean who are you trying to look cool for on the ice at a men's league game? A bunch of sweaty guys? You should start the transition into being your own man. That usually comes with paying bills and moving out of the parents basement though lol

I know you want to be tough and manly, but it's pretty ignorant to act like its wrong to care how you look.

Not looking like an idiot on the ice in front of a bunch of other sweaty men is just as important as doing any other activity and not looking like an idiot. Just because youre playing a recreational sport doesnt mean it's not important to get respect from others on the ice, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to look respectable.

And for the record, I like bubbles and I wear one in college.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I don't believe I suggested wearing something other than approved face protection designed for the sport of ice hockey. I think you misunderstood my comments. I'm saying be man enough to make your own decisions. Equipment is about protection and performance. Boys that still live under mommy and daddy's roof worry about appearance. Anyone "chirping"
equipment in adulthood is a punk and not worth worrying about.

Darlon

Dec 3, 2012
If I cared about how ridiculous I look on the ice, I would have stopped coming out after my first stick and puck where I fell like 20+ times. I've been wearing the fish bowl for as long as I've been playing. 99% of the time, I'm the only one. No one has given me **** nor do I give a **** what people think of me. I actually even like the way it looks.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
If I cared about how ridiculous I look on the ice, I would have stopped coming out after my first stick and puck where I fell like 20+ times. I've been wearing the fish bowl for as long as I've been playing. 99% of the time, I'm the only one. No one has given me **** nor do I give a **** what people think of me. I actually even like the way it looks.
I like the way bubbles look too, and that's why I wear one. I wasn't suggesting you should worry about what other people think, just merely pointing out that there's absolutely nothing wrong with caring about how you look. You know that though, because you wear a bubble and you like the way it looks.

I don't believe I suggested wearing something other than approved face protection designed for the sport of ice hockey. I think you misunderstood my comments. I'm saying be man enough to make your own decisions. Equipment is about protection and performance. Boys that still live under mommy and daddy's roof worry about appearance. Anyone "chirping"
equipment in adulthood is a punk and not worth worrying about.
Part of making your own decision is deciding if you think something looks good or not. Do you also think people that spend money get a suit tailored are boys still living under mommy and daddy's roof? After all, those people are clearly worrying too much about how they look...

As I said in response to the poster above, I'm not saying its bad to worry about safety and that you should be constantly trying to impress people with looks. I'm simply trying to correct the notion that it is taboo to worry about how you look.

No, hockey isn't a fashion show; but that doesn't mean it's wrong to want to look good.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA

Well said.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Not so. It's risk vs reward. You chose the higher reward of better vision so accept the higher risk of injury when it happens. My issue with the half shield/no shield crew is the constant whining.

Putting more value on what strangers think of your appearance as an adult vs function, performance, and safety. Looking at that rationally I have to say that person is not as enlightened as me. If you look at other aspects of their life I'm guessing you'll find the same values as well. Flashy car over house, dumb reality show over educational program, horrible pop music vs something more cerebral. etc. They're appearance over substance. Like a baby. Look at the pretty object. It's a sign of a less advanced individual IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
You're playing hockey with the wrong people if the word "whine" ever comes into the equation.

Wear what you want and makes you feel good, if someone complains then their life sucks because on the ice is the place to be.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Go ahead, although I find the lack of ventilation with the fishbowl to be a little unsettling. It's just not comfortable. The newer ones are a little better since they're half visor plus half cage.

IMHO it's not nearly as bad as the hideous-looking half cage.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Hella duster. Anyone I have ever played with that had a fishbowl got chirped, hard.
"Hella duster" :facepalm:

Yeah if these are the people you're worried about making fun of you or whatever, I'd go ahead and wear the fishbowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad