Advice: Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
As I approach the big 30 and I get into the corporate world I'm realizing that I'd like to keep my chiclets in tact. However, I'm so used to using my visor and I had a couple close calls. Back in the days of when I was required to use full face protection I used a fishbowl. I want to use a cage but I'm not sure how i'll adapt and a fishbowl now a days is considered a faux pas. I play both Ice and roller right now.

Has anyone here made that adjustment?

How long was the transition and how much does it affect your play?

If I use a fishbowl for Roller and Ice will it be considered "duster" material, or should I just say screw it and play with the fishbowl? Personally I like the way they look.

I know at 29 I shouldn't give a ****, guess I'm a little vain. Lol.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Wear what you're comfortable with. Fishbowls are making somewhat of a comeback.

However, if you're looking for full face protection and the best sty, CCM FM 480 if you can find one or an FM 580 in black is the way to go.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
We have a fair number of people in my league with fishbowls, myself included. Never heard any chirping or anything about it.

Chanbing96

Dec 19, 2012
Kalamazoo mi
I went from a fishbowl to cage and loved the cage you'll forget it's even there while your playing granited I'm a dumbass right now with no face protection I prefer a cage

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I went from visor to fishbowl to a cage. A cage is just the most practical solution, I get the normal airflow and it doesn't scratch.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
The Bauer Re-Akt cage is the best option IMO, but it is also pretty expensive for a cage. It is very light and has the oval bars for increased visibility.

I have looked into fishbowls and combos before, but they are too heavy and why deal with the restricted air flow and fog issues.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
As someone who just turned 40 this spring, and have had a few close calls - actually had a puck ride up my stick, under my visor and cut me in the eye area (had 7 stitches right on my eye lid, near the tear duct) - it was scary.

However, I still use the visor. I played minor hockey with a full cage. I am comfortable with, and know the risks of playing with a visor, so that is what I continue to use. But always wear a mouth guard - my teeth are important to me.

My advice - stick with what's comfortable for you, not what's "in" or "cool" for others.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
After two cages being bent and made unusable in high school, I went with a fish bowl. My visibility improved, and I felt more confident on the ice. People trash talk fishbowls, which is funny because it's mostly guys with bug eyed visors.

If I had to go full face, I'd do the fishbowl. People talk trash about every thing. I'd just slap it on and just play.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I've been wearing a fishbowl since I started many years ago, and I have never been chirped for it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I either wear full cage or no cage at all. It just depends on who I am playing with.

I am currently playing with a pretty up tempo group for shinny, so I go full cage.

No advice on making the switch though. I have never used any kind of visor. Just cage/no cage.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Hella duster. Anyone I have ever played with that had a fishbowl got chirped, hard.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
That's a long of hockey slang.

I briefly tried a bowl and couldn't deal with the fogging and heat. I use a Re-Akt cage. I'd rather avoid the dentist than look good on the ice.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't need a visor.

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
Thanks for the advice, I'm just going to give the fishbowl a shot this Saturday and see how I like it if not, I'll try the cage at a later date. You guys were very helpful. Thanks!

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I used to wear a Bauer 4000 + visor. Now I have a reakt combo, it feels just as light and I had about 0 adjustment time between a visor and the cage.

You don't need to buy a fancy helmet but the cage is really nice. IMO you are WAY to old to care about your appearance on the ice. Just buy some custom gloves or skates if you must be vain.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
Went from visor, to shield-cage hybrid, to cage. Got sick of the fogging and scratching. After a couple skates with the cage you don't even know its there.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Fishbowls are definitely making a comeback. Just go with what you're used to.

If you're feeling really self-conscious, I would be worried about the fact that if you transitioned to a fishbowl, people would make fun of you for trying to fit in with the younger kids who are slowly moving back towards fishbowls.

How's that for reverse psychology?

Thesensation19*

Honestly its pretty dumb for any player to play without a cage. Look at Crosby, one of the best in the world. The most innocent thing, a puck gets deflected from in front of the net toward him who was on the side and clocks him in the jaw only to break it.

Forget toughness, injuries, glass jaws or whatever you want to talk about. Because of that innocent little play he becomes injured and is out for that entire game. And out for the remainder of the season. Simply because he does not wear a cage lol.

If he wears a cage, Crosby goes on to crush the Islander in that game and probably goes on to have 2 points per game and win the MVP and probably set his team up with the best chemistry for a stronger playoff run.

I understand we like comfort, we hate the vision impairement it causes. But it was the same with helmets. Soviets were it regularly because they knew it would keep them protected. Protected so they can play at the top level at all times.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Honestly its pretty dumb for any player to play without a cage. Look at Crosby, one of the best in the world. The most innocent thing, a puck gets deflected from in front of the net toward him who was on the side and clocks him in the jaw only to break it.

Forget toughness, injuries, glass jaws or whatever you want to talk about. Because of that innocent little play he becomes injured and is out for that entire game. And out for the remainder of the season. Simply because he does not wear a cage lol.

If he wears a cage, Crosby goes on to crush the Islander in that game and probably goes on to have 2 points per game and win the MVP and probably set his team up with the best chemistry for a stronger playoff run.

I understand we like comfort, we hate the vision impairement it causes. But it was the same with helmets. Soviets were it regularly because they knew it would keep them protected. Protected so they can play at the top level at all times.

Um, he doesn't wear a cage for the same reason all other NHLers don't wear cages. It's outlawed equipment unless a player has an injury.

Not that they would wear a cage if they could anyways....

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011
Um, he doesn't wear a cage for the same reason all other NHLers don't wear cages. It's outlawed equipment unless a player has an injury.

Not that they would wear a cage if they could anyways....

did you just make that up?

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011

Disagree. There's a big difference from taking a deflected shot in the jaw from a 95 mph slapper and facing a deflected shot in a beer league.

I personally prefer wearing a half shield because its substantially lighter than a cage and the whole improved vision thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad