Advice: Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Not so. It's risk vs reward. You chose the higher reward of better vision so accept the higher risk of injury when it happens. My issue with the half shield/no shield crew is the constant whining.

Putting more value on what strangers think of your appearance as an adult vs function, performance, and safety. Looking at that rationally I have to say that person is not as enlightened as me. If you look at other aspects of their life I'm guessing you'll find the same values as well. Flashy car over house, dumb reality show over educational program, horrible pop music vs something more cerebral. etc. They're appearance over substance. Like a baby. Look at the pretty object. It's a sign of a less advanced individual IMO.

Do you wear matching shoes when you go to the office? Matching clothes? Matching socks without holes in them?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
A fishbowl is good sty IMO, if you can rock it, it looks really good. I hate the new Re-Akt helmets they're soo ugly. 9500's are so much better

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
wear what you need to be comfortable, and part of that comfort is your safety. I wouldn't worry about someone else's opinion as far as "duster or not". If you can play and can make plays no one will give a **** what you happen to be wearing.

FWIW I wear a small visor most times, unless I'm playing with my buddies on a private rental then its no visor either. I understand the risks and am comfortable with them. I'm not gonna ***** at someone at the rink for what they happen to wear. I will however bust a guys balls if he is an *******. cage, visor, fishbowl whatever.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Do you wear matching shoes when you go to the office? Matching clothes? Matching socks without holes in them?

Actually no. The sole of my one steel toe boot split so my boots don't match. The right one is the new composite toe, left is the older steel of my old pair. Both get the job done though. I could buy another pair but would rather spend that on advertising :)

Most of my socks also have holes. However none of my equipment that generates thousands does. See a pattern here? Function, safety, etc over flash. Keep asking questions and you just might learn something.

Moral of the story. Put your time, energy, and money into things of substance and you just might get somewhere.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Actually no. The sole of my one steel toe boot split so my boots don't match. The right one is the new composite toe, left is the older steel of my old pair. Both get the job done though. I could buy another pair but would rather spend that on advertising :)

Most of my socks also have holes. However none of my equipment that generates thousands does. See a pattern here? Function, safety, etc over flash. Keep asking questions and you just might learn something.

Moral of the story. Put your time, energy, and money into things of substance and you just might get somewhere.
Yes, because buying new socks prevents you from still functioning. There's no rule that says you have to sacrifice functionality for style.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Yes, because buying new socks prevents you from still functioning. There's no rule that says you have to sacrifice functionality for style.

Believe it or not it does. If you ever start a small business and a family at the same time you'll understand why I don't have 10-20 min to buy socks.

I agree there's no rule. It's the value you put on characteristics that speak to your character and intelligence as a human being. Buying a skate line bc you like the appearance even though another brand fits your foot better is a good example. Like a baby reaching for the pretty object.
There's supposed to be an intelligent brain there that steps in and makes the rational choice. For some that never seems to happen LOL.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
If you're 30 years old you're WAY too old to care what people think about your choice of hockey equipment.

Agreed. When those people pay your co-pay and comp you for the missed time at work, then they can tell you how to protect yourself. Personally, I'm a no-shield. Took mine off the last season because I couldn't see out of it. Yeah, I know, the irony of taking the shield off and exposing myself to potentially damaging my vision by a tipped puck, a high stick, etc. I'm in the process of shopping for one, but not sure what I want to commit to.

"Hella duster" :facepalm:

Yeah if these are the people you're worried about making fun of you or whatever, I'd go ahead and wear the fishbowl

Do people really talk like this? Hella duster? :shakehead (obviously not directed at you, but whoever made the original comment)

Last edited:

clayman

Apr 22, 2012
Tigard, Oregon
All the comments on appearance weighing in on the decision not to consider a "fishbowl". I have to ask are all you guys under 20? If not I'm surprised that's even a consideration. I mean who are you trying to look cool for on the ice at a men's league game? A bunch of sweaty guys? You should start the transition into being your own man. That usually comes with paying bills and moving out of the parents basement though lol

LMAO!! That's funny!

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Not so. It's risk vs reward. You chose the higher reward of better vision so accept the higher risk of injury when it happens. My issue with the half shield/no shield crew is the constant whining.

Putting more value on what strangers think of your appearance as an adult vs function, performance, and safety. Looking at that rationally I have to say that person is not as enlightened as me. If you look at other aspects of their life I'm guessing you'll find the same values as well. Flashy car over house, dumb reality show over educational program, horrible pop music vs something more cerebral. etc. They're appearance over substance. Like a baby. Look at the pretty object. It's a sign of a less advanced individual IMO.

Idk if I'd say "less advanced" but definitely "less grounded in reality". Totally get where you're coming from, though. It's life, really lol.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Perhaps you should try some schooling yourself so that you can get a job that allows you afford to buy a new pair of socks.

The only people I see with holey socks and mismatched boots are sleeping under a bridge.

You aren't any smarter or more advanced than anyone in this thread. Quit trying to overcompensate and get a clue.

Lol. I started a business a year ago and it's doing quite well. All of my time and $$ goes there. I also just had a daughter. Socks are the least of my worries :).

Ooh I know maybe ill hire one of the cool kids that look flashy, use terms dangle and duster, and still live with their parents, and he can make a sock run! Lol. Silly kids. So opinionated yet still haven't paid a bill in their life

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Lol. I started a business a year ago and it's doing quite well. All of my time and $$ goes there. I also just had a daughter. Socks are the least of my worries :).

Ooh I know maybe ill hire one of the cool kids that look flashy, use terms dangle and duster, and still live with their parents, and he can make a sock run! Lol. Silly kids. So opinionated yet still haven't paid a bill in their life
Now there's your problem; you seem to think that wanting to not look like a goof means trying to look flashy. OP isn't asking about fishbowls so he can be flashy, he's just getting opinions on whether or not he'll look stupid.

Would you wear clown shoes to your business?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Now there's your problem; you seem to think that wanting to not look like a goof means trying to look flashy. OP isn't asking about fishbowls so he can be flashy, he's just getting opinions on whether or not he'll look stupid.

He probably wouldn't (unless he's in the kids birthday party business), but he may wear horribly mismatching clothes to the gym, which I think would be a better example.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i've always been against fishbowls. they just look awkward and it makes your face heat up and sweat like no other. not to mention they fog up pretty badly

i'm not sure how the new half visor-half cage helmets are but i'm sure they're at least a little better in terms of air flow than true fishbowls. i'd just go with a white cage if you're looking for good full face protection. the white blends in with the ice when you play. way better than those black or silver cages

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just a reminder that insulting other posters is against site rules.

I suppose there are some young people on this forum that care about style and how they look and that's fine. No need to talk down to them. And by the same token, there are people (like myself) that value the protection over style. No need to talk down to them either.

From what I understand, as far as style goes, for kids who have to wear full face protection, the CCM 580 is about the only cage that seems to be acceptable.

In adult rec hockey, honestly nobody cares about how others look, so wear whatever you want. I've been playing for close to 10 years now on many different teams in many different leagues and there's only a few other people I know who are even remotely familiar with hockey equipment on our level, let alone thinking about what other people wear.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Well said. With facial protection I'm Protection=1, Visability/Performance=2, Style= Irrelevant. That pretty much holds true with all my equipment, but that's just me.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't really care, but anyone who had a fishbowl got beaked hard. Although that was teenagers, not adults so I don't think it will be an issue.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012

How is clown shoes or matching socks at your business comparable to some dumb beer league. I wear matching shoes/socks/pants/shirt everyday because it's professional and wouldn't have a job if I dressed like a scrub. I am not going to risk my lively hood to "not look like a goof" while I play hockey with a bunch of strangers. Wear whatever is most comfortable while still being safe (fish bowl, cage, whatever). If anyone is that worried about what YOU look like, that's their problem.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
How is clown shoes or matching socks at your business comparable to some dumb beer league. I wear matching shoes/socks/pants/shirt everyday because it's professional and wouldn't have a job if I dressed like a scrub. I am not going to risk my lively hood to "not look like a goof" while I play hockey with a bunch of strangers. Wear whatever is most comfortable while still being safe (fish bowl, cage, whatever). If anyone is that worried about what YOU look like, that's their problem.

Yeah I didn't get it either. A clear plastic visor over your face is the equivalent of "clown shoes"? I think a lot of the replies in this thread would make more sense if guys posted their age as well.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Yeah I didn't get it either. A clear plastic visor over your face is the equivalent of "clown shoes"? I think a lot of the replies in this thread would make more sense if guys posted their age as well.
The clown shoes are not meant to be an allegory of the bubble; for the last time, I like bubbles. The clown shoes remark was because you went off on a complete tangent about how you're too good to care about how you look overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad