Series Talk: First Round: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - Series Tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Board traffic seems to be way down this year. Reading some of these posts I can see why. Apparently the Pens losing is a “certain” outcome destined from before time began. Let’s just hope The Russian doesn’t get in our way too much. There are a lot of good people in the world, but every day you still get a reminder that ignorant and/or xenophobic sons of bitches still exist in our daily lives, despite living in the most advanced age of information, knowledge and experience-sharing that’s ever existed in human history.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Eh. I’m actually not losing my mind over Malkin being out. It’s obvious he’s not close to 100%, and I think the team will play more a more structured game defensively without him.

Of course, I wish he was healthy. But if he’s not close to 100%, it’s the correct decision.

Great news about CDS, too!

Day to day is great news now. ;)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Board traffic seems to be way down this year. Reading some of these posts I can see why. Apparently the Pens losing is a “certain” outcome destined from before time began. Let’s just hope The Russian doesn’t get in our way too much. There are a lot of good people in the world, but every day you still get a reminder that stupid and/or xenophobic sons of bitches still exist in our daily lives, despite living in the most advanced age of information, knowledge and experience-sharing that’s ever existed in human history.

I think board traffic is down because it’s been 500 years since the Pens last played and the real world is such a smouldering dumpster fire that hockey just isn’t as fun of a distraction. At least, that’s me right now. But I’ll be around.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Board traffic seems to be way down this year. Reading some of these posts I can see why. Apparently the Pens losing is a “certain” outcome destined from before time began. Let’s just hope The Russian doesn’t get in our way too much. There are a lot of good people in the world, but every day you still get a reminder that stupid and/or xenophobic sons of bitches still exist in our daily lives, despite living in the most advanced age of information, knowledge and experience-sharing that’s ever existed in human history.

Islanders are not a good team. With or without Malkin we’ve got this.

All the players have to do is play a structured D and our talent/intensity will take care of the goals

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
More in-depth analysis because I guess that's important;

Geno, if he plays, needs to not be a detriment. As long as he's not hobbling around the ice lagging behind the play, all he really has to do is get Kap the puck. Wish that line had a better guy than Zucker to handle the defensive work and to do the puck retrieval. Kap's gonna need to rely on his skating and ability to fly the zone in a hurry to put a bunch of pressure on the Isles' neutral zone plan.

Jarry needs to be healthy and he needs to not lose us games. That's it. He doesn't have to stand on his head, he doesn't have to steal games. Just don't get hurt since DeSmith is messed up and don't let in softies.

Sid's line needs to be kept away from the Isles top pairing and they need to show up, to a man, for the first time in multiple trips to the playoffs.

TB's line needs to be on top of their game as they'll probably be against Barzal's unit (and Eberle, who seems to torch us every time we play). Geno's line's going to be a mess defensively, Sid's line needs to be the production line, and Carter's line needs to take advantage of the matchups they'll get as Trotz shadows Sid.

Matheson's return is super important for being able to skate pucks out of danger and get the team to an attacking position. The Isles decimated us with their forecheck but we no longer have the likes of JJ, Gudbranson, Maatta and a bum Schultz on the blueline. If Matheson's good, that puts the Isles in a really tough spot.

Battle of the special teams is going to go a long way too. The Isles' PK is great, the Penguins' power play has the potential to score every time they're on the ice. If they keep our PP from doing much damage, that could easily shift the course of games or the series.

Sullivan needs to not let his ego force this team to start several steps back. If lines need to be shaken up or a line needs a particular presence, like Geno's line needing Tanev or even ZAR, please don't refuse to split the 3rd or 4th lines up if/when a scoring line is getting caved in.

Paycheck please.

I don't like using one's name when it's a person I'm not particularly fond of.

And winning without the guy would make it the perfect time to dump his $9.5 million cap hit to go for younger, less brittle talent.
There's discussion to be had on the subject without the awful delivery, imo.

Is it in the team's best interest to re-sign an aging and oft-injured Geno? I personally don't think so, not at the price he'll command (and get), but I don't think it really matters because this team's going to hand him like a 3-year $24 million deal next summer. You're not going to get a good return for a 35 year old Geno coming off of a bad knee injury--especially if/when he has surgery this summer.

May as well start preparing yourself now.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Malkin out is not ideal, but getting McCann - Carter - Kapanen is a silver lining.

I adore that line. Those are our three 5v5 P/P60 leaders. Three legit scoring threats with pre-existing chemistry. Coming into the playoffs healthy, hungry and confident.

If they're great again then I'm sorry Geno...you can have whatever's left when you get back. It's the playoffs.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This reeks of "sunglasses profile pic, username with Q-something" boomer facebook post.

The Russian :laugh:

Lol...this was a literal Pens Facebook post I just read on Malkin (not sure if it’s the same guy): “too bad we didn’t get something for him when he was worth more. Now he’s just dead weight”...

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Well shit. What happened to "We don't anticipate any issues going forward."

This team will (and has shown that it can) win without Malkin. The PP did not need him for most of the year. I wish him to get better and near 100% before coming back, but he didn't look it from what I saw.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I suspect the Pens need to score more goals than the Isles.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ncm7772

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Board traffic seems to be way down this year. Reading some of these posts I can see why. Apparently the Pens losing is a “certain” outcome destined from before time began. Let’s just hope The Russian doesn’t get in our way too much. There are a lot of good people in the world, but every day you still get a reminder that ignorant and/or xenophobic sons of bitches still exist in our daily lives, despite living in the most advanced age of information, knowledge and experience-sharing that’s ever existed in human history.

Yeah, it's weird. Everybody thought during pandemic once sports comeback it's all people will want to do. It's been the complete opposite for me and seems like a lot of people. I'm not sure what it is either. Games are kind of boring without fans. Pittsburgh fans have taken a beating too. Despite having Super Bowl caliber rosters can only win 3 playoff games in a decade because of coaching. Losing to Browns in the playoffs and watching Brady win another with AB. Then the Penguins have lost in the playoffs the same way 3 years in a row and looking like 4 is approaching because of coaching. Too many letdowns to be blindly optimistic anymore but hoping to be proven wrong.

Reactions: farscape1

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, it's weird. Everybody thought during pandemic once sports comeback it's all people will want to do. It's been the complete opposite for me and seems like a lot of people. I'm not sure what it is either. Games are kind of boring without fans. Pittsburgh fans have taken a beating too. Despite having Super Bowl caliber rosters can only win 3 playoff games in a decade because of coaching. Losing to Browns in the playoffs and watching Brady win another with AB. Then the Penguins have lost in the playoffs the same way 3 years in a row and looking like 4 is approaching because of coaching. Too many letdowns to be blindly optimistic anymore but hoping to be proven wrong.

good thing we still have Kris Letang to root for.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It was somewhat comforting to see that 4 of 6 "experts" on ESPN picked the Isles as the Number 4 seed to go deepest into the playoffs, although one said that none of the #4 seeds would win the first round.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
OT, mods feel free to move. Will be visiting Pittsburgh for a game. Looking to play golf too. What courses are a must play, that I can actually got on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad