Series Talk: First Round: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - Series Tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Islanders are built for playoff hockey and we aren't. If Varlamov doesn't let in weak goals this is going to be a long series. Islanders have the 2nd lowest goals against all season. Islanders have 6th best pk and we're 27th. If Sully doesn't change anything and trots in with regular season style of play we're going to lose. Simple as that.

Reactions: Angrrus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Islanders are built for playoff hockey and we aren't. If Varlamov doesn't let in weak goals this is going to be a long series. Islanders have the 2nd lowest goals against all season. Islanders have 6th best pk and we're 27th. If Sully doesn't change anything and trots in with regular season style of play we're going to lose. Simple as that.

How are the Pens not built for playoff hockey?

Most compare this team to the 2016 team. And that team was compared to previous cup juggernaut teams such as Chicago built on enormous depth and skill.

If that is even remotely true the team would be hard to stop in the playoffs.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
How are the Pens not built for playoff hockey?

Most compare this team to the 2016 team. And that team was compared to previous cup juggernaut teams such as Chicago built on enormous depth and skill.

If that is even remotely true the team would be hard to stop in the playoffs.

Well that's a start

Islanders have 6th best pk and we're 27th.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Keep Sid's line away from the Isles' top blueline pair, win the special teams battle, and hope TB's line can handle Barzal. That's how we advance.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

200.gif

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
So It looks like Geno won’t be in probably until game 3 or 4. Whatever, rest him as much as it takes, he will get hurt in the first game back anyways. They will have to this one without him. f***ing Tinrodi

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As much as fans may hate early games, I'd bet the players love 'em. Like Carter says, over and done with early instead of stewing all day.

Problem is it feels like most of our team doesn't. They've got their routines and hate having them disturbed.

Honestly, I'd love early games if this team did.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
So It looks like Geno won’t be in probably until game 3 or 4. Whatever, rest him as much as it takes, he will get hurt in the first game back anyways. They will have to this one without him. f***ing Tinrodi

Didn't he miss the first game in 2016? Let's hope the rest of the playoffs follows the same script.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Problem is it feels like most of our team doesn't. They've got their routines and hate having them disturbed.

Honestly, I'd love early games if this team did.
I think that's probably just Sid who is super into his routines/superstitions.

I wonder what our record is in early games. I feel like we probably make way too big a stink about the team's performance and it's not as bad as we may think.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that's probably just Sid who is super into his routines/superstitions.

I wonder what our record is in early games. I feel like we probably make way too big a stink about the team's performance and it's not as bad as we may think.

From a Yohe article April 19th:

"During night games this season, the Penguins are 24-9-2. During afternoon games, they’re 4-5-1. This trend has been taking place for years. In road games that begin in the afternoon hours, the Penguins are 2-4-0.
Three of their most embarrassing performances of the season took place in the afternoon. They were at their stagnant worst on Long Island in a 2-0 loss Feb. 28, imploded defensively in an 8-5 setback in Boston on April 1 and lost to the NHL’s worst team Sunday. All road games, all with afternoon starts. And though two of them occurred in back-to-back settings, the opposition played the day before in both cases."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

"During night games this season, the Penguins are 24-9-2. During afternoon games, they’re 4-5-1. This trend has been taking place for years. In road games that begin in the afternoon hours, the Penguins are 2-4-0.
Three of their most embarrassing performances of the season took place in the afternoon. They were at their stagnant worst on Long Island in a 2-0 loss Feb. 28, imploded defensively in an 8-5 setback in Boston on April 1 and lost to the NHL’s worst team Sunday. All road games, all with afternoon starts. And though two of them occurred in back-to-back settings, the opposition played the day before in both cases."
Huh. I think it's probably more the fact that they were away games, but interesting nonetheless.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Isles haven’t lost a game this season played before 7.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Eh. I’m actually not losing my mind over Malkin being out. It’s obvious he’s not close to 100%, and I think the team will play more a more structured game defensively without him.

Of course, I wish he was healthy. But if he’s not close to 100%, it’s the correct decision.

Great news about CDS, too!

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Without the gimped Russian, MS might get more flexible with the lines.

If we win the Cup without the Russian, that makes him expendable; do we consider trading if the offer is good this Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad