First round has been terrible, but next round will benefit

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
biggest issue is that this is the 1-8 system not being used. Yeah the east would probably have the same matchups, but we badly need to fix the format again. I am growing tired of LA/EDM in the first round.

Reactions: sbhnur

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't had much of a chance to watch the playoffs this year but I think there is a certain drama missing. I don't recall the last time we had a couple 3-0 series leads, and a bunch of 3-1s.

The first round is typically the most fun, and the peak viewing for hockey fans, but let's hope this year is an exception, because at least from a series suspense standpoint, the product has not delivered.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I haven't had much of a chance to watch the playoffs this year but I think there is a certain drama missing. I don't recall the last time we had a couple 3-0 series leads, and a bunch of 3-1s.

The first round is typically the most fun, and the peak viewing for hockey fans, but let's hope this year is an exception, because at least from a series suspense standpoint, the product has not delivered.
Also how many time has a home team in a series gone 3-0 on the road? Boston/Dallas/Vancouver all need to do that to avoid a game 7, statistically seems as if we SHOULD get 1 game 7 and maybe even 2.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
These playoffs have f***ing sucked.

They've looked more like good regular season games rather than what you're hoping for when the playoffs start.

Reactions: Danarqhy

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
These playoffs are great.

Oilers are on to round two.

Great game on this evening at 6:00pm Pacific. Can’t wait.

Biggest criticism is some of the stupid start times, but I’m a night owl anyways.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
biggest issue is that this is the 1-8 system not being used. Yeah the east would probably have the same matchups, but we badly need to fix the format again. I am growing tired of LA/EDM in the first round.
Agree. I didn't have any problem with the 1-8, etc. seeding matchups. Detractors may argue that it makes the bracket much more predictable, and true, if it was applied this year, East is pretty much the same and the West only has COL playing EDM and WPG playing LA. It would be fun to see cross-division play in the first round but I also understand the travel implications and also the benefit of having same-division rivalries develop. In that vein, even the old Norris/Smythe/Patrick/Adams divisions with 1-4, 2-3 play, with the winners coming out of each division - that would support inter-division play, but that can also get boring fast with the (relatively) same teams.

I suspect we will not see an EDM/LA series next year, as both teams are moving in different trajectories, and I think LA is on the precipice of the eventual rebuild, and I would be surprised if they made the playoffs next year but then again many of the other teams in the West are going through a similar situation, so who knows...

Regardless, happy camper here today with the Oilers getting it done last night.

Last edited:

Makar Oni 4 formaggi

Mar 3, 2024
Imo weakest first round ever (ok, my opinion is important only ... for me). No upsets and in 4-5 series basically we knew after 1-2 games who will win.

second round will be better surely, also because in regular season we have seen a group of ca. 8-10 teams above all other and most of then are now in.

Imo league has lost a bit of parity this year and has shown an elite group, a middle pack and 6-8 bad teams. And yes .... please please change playoff modus.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I don't think its been terrible, just kinda weird results imo.

As mentioned before, the NSH/VAN could easily be 3-1 Nashville or tied up 2-2, its been a super close series.

Sorry, but results been least weird since ages. All heavy favourites won their series comfortably, and from the series left- even if Nashville somehow beats Vanouver, it would be relatively minor upset (for other ongoing series, whoever wins it will be not upset at all...). Shit, in fact there is a good chance that higher seeds will win all matchups- has it ever happened in 16-team playoffs format?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes