Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
You should probably ask Boston& Tampa what it does for your team& confidence when you are getting consistent elite goaltending.
Tampa just went to 3 Cup finals and Boston has been able to stay consistent high end team for the past 10+ years but sure those days are gone

Or Florida the last couple of years

I bet they are regretting having the goalies they have and have had..

Marner sure as heck hasn’t done anything to help the Leafs win in the playoffs, elite goaltender would be a massive confidence boost to that team
Funny how the most consistently elite goaltenders always play for teams with good defensemen and defensively responsible forwards.

In the Chara/McAvoy-Bergeron-Marchand era Boston had 3 different goaltenders win the Vezina.

Leafs need their Chara or their Hedman more than their Rask or Vasilevskiy.

A lot of goalies can get the job done behind a strong D but no goalie can get the job done behind a weak D. (Except Hasek, he seemed to have no issues with it).

Also, I'm not even denying that good goaltending is important I'm saying the position is too volatile to be sure you're getting that when you trade a premium asset. If we are trading Marner we need to get the trade right. Goaltenders are the least predictable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
then Chicago for Jones. Just don’t see Nashville.

Doughty is going to be 35y with 3 years left at 11M

Also for LA what would it do for their defense and try to build around PLD& Marner?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Funny how the most consistently elite goaltenders always play for teams with good defensemen and defensively responsible forwards.

In the Chara/McAvoy-Bergeron-Marchand era Boston had 3 different goaltenders win the Vezina.

Leafs need their Chara or their Hedman more than their Rask or Vasilevskiy.

A lot of goalies can get the job done behind a strong D but no goalie can get the job done behind a weak D. (Except Hasek, he seemed to have no issues with it).

Also, I'm not even denying that good goaltending is important I'm saying the position is too volatile to be sure you're getting that when you trade a premium asset. If we are trading Marner we need to get the trade right. Goaltenders are the least predictable.

You are clearly way underrating what a legit goalie does for your team and a goalie who has proven to be consistent

Saros has been nothing but elite for 3+ years behind an average roster. He drag them to playoffs when they were about to be sellers year ago and again was lights out on the 2nd half of the season

The confidence that gives your team is insanely valuable, & on the other side of the coin you see teams lose their Cup chances every year because of their goaltending.
You think Edmonton is having fun right now? All the times goaltending has let down Toronto, Dallas before getting Oettinger, Colorado has to win despite their goaltender, good luck trying to build their Stanley Cup top4 to be able to do that

When you can go into the season year after year knowing goaltending is something you don’t have to worry about is something I recommend chasing. Again the confidence it gives your entire team is worth gold

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
That has 1 year left on his contract, is not built for the playoffs, and is going to cost $11-12 mil to re-sign?

It's not that unreasonable. especially when you consider Guentzel didn't return a 1st or blue chip prospect.
Guentzel was also on ir at the deadline

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You are clearly way underrating what a legit goalie does for your team and a goalie who has proven to be consistent

Saros has been nothing but elite for 3+ years behind an average roster. He drag them to playoffs when they were about to be sellers year ago and again was lights out on the 2nd half of the season

The confidence that gives your team is insanely valuable, & on the other side of the coin you see teams lose their Cup chances every year because of their goaltending.
You think Edmonton is having fun right now? All the times goaltending has let down Toronto, Dallas before getting Oettinger, Colorado has to win despite their goaltender, good luck trying to build their Stanley Cup top4 to be able to do that

When you can go into the season year after year knowing goaltending is something you don’t have to worry about is something I recommend chasing. Again the confidence it gives your entire team is worth gold
The only cautionary addendum to this is that while Saros was all that for the 3 previous seasons, he was just mediocre for most of this most recent season.

So that raises an interesting question mark on his value going forward which we didn't have before this season. The timing is great for the Preds in terms of it giving us a little bit of a lever on reducing the $$$/term on his forthcoming contract extension. As long as this season truly was an outlier and he bounces back to his usual form, anyway. But the same question mark can now exist in the minds of any other team looking to acquire/extend him also. Is he still "elite"? Or was this down year the start of a trend for him? :dunno:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

Sarros had a 0.900 SV% these playoffs. Leafs should trade a 100 point defensively responsible winger for that?

If we are trading him I want a legit top 4 stud dman otherwise I'd rather take my chances on Woll + Marner getting it together in the playoffs. That's just my opinion.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Sarros had a 0.900 SV% these playoffs. Leafs should trade a 100 point defensively responsible winger for that?

If we are trading him I want a legit top 4 stud dman otherwise I'd rather take my chances on Woll + Marner getting it together in the playoffs. That's just my opinion.
Nsh has good defensive options to offer for leafs. How about something like Fabbro/Lauzon/Schenn(?), Saros plus some prospect and or picks for Marner? If Marner is willing to extend.

I assume something like this would be a good starting point for discussion since Askarov is probably off the table.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The only cautionary addendum to this is that while Saros was all that for the 3 previous seasons, he was just mediocre for most of this most recent season.

So that raises an interesting question mark on his value going forward which we didn't have before this season. The timing is great for the Preds in terms of it giving us a little bit of a lever on reducing the $$$/term on his forthcoming contract extension. As long as this season truly was an outlier and he bounces back to his usual form, anyway. But the same question mark can now exist in the minds of any other team looking to acquire/extend him also. Is he still "elite"? Or was this down year the start of a trend for him? :dunno:
He did say the constant trade rumors were going to his head affecting his play so there’s that. I don’t think saros lost a step and is still elite. He started playing a lot better after the deadline and even in the playoffs his defense left out to dry in quite a few of those goals he let in. Would I mind trading saros? Not at all but I think there are better options out there without giving him up. While saying that if we get marner I wouldn’t be upset at all. What I wouldn’t do if I’m trotz is bring back any of our ufas except lankinen if do decide to trade saros. But we have to stop signing these mediocre players and start going after some top players that can consistently help forsberg and Josi with our scoring woes

Last edited:
Reactions: Armourboy

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
As a Preds and Leafs fan, I hate this idea so much,

Marner is a loser and would instantly become a 75 point player.
You're definitely not a leafs fan. Calling marner a loser proves that. He's a top winger in the league with amazing all around game. As a leafs fan I hope he doesn't get traded and Tavares does.

• Haha
Reactions: BonMorrison

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
i think forsberg is better than Marner. Not a knock on marners talent but Marner has always had an elite center while forsberg has had granlund, Johansen and recently orielly. Forsberg creates most of his goals. I would love to see Marner play besides forsberg though so he doesn’t have to do it all
Agreed that Marner has had the better centre, but he has driven lines since being a rookie that included Tyler Bozak and John Tavares. Tavares produced better with Marner than without him.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
That would be up to Marner if the Leafs and Hawks become potential trade partners.
Obviously.
Marner has full control over the situation. His NMC means he decides where he is going or if he is going at all.

And I see pretty much zero chance he goes to a team that just finished 31st. Especially one that is involved in yet another scandal. Any discussion of a trade with that team and Marner is pretty much pointless.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
You having your feelings hurt doesnt make me a troll. Sorry. If he is such a great player, why does he disappear in the playoffs and why are Leafs looking to move him? He is overpaid and overrated. His history of disappearing in playoff hockey is lengthy. He would put up regular season points in Nashville and be useless in the playoffs just like he is now.
Pretty big assumption trolls hurt my feelings but you pump your tires anyway you can lol.

Agreed, Marner doesn’t produce well in the playoffs, but that’s likely more of a Toronto issue than a Marner issue. He’s only played under Babcock and Keefe, and Keefe is questionable overall in the playoffs as none of our big guys really show in the playoffs and Babcock was garbage for the leafs.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously.
Marner has full control over the situation. His NMC means he decides where he is going or if he is going at all.

And I see pretty much zero chance he goes to a team that just finished 31st. Especially one that is involved in yet another scandal. Any discussion of a trade with that team and Marner is pretty much pointless.
Obviously, I disagree. I don't know if Marner would waive or not, but I think the team should at the very least go through the motions.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC

Historically the .900 number doesn't look good, but it's more representative of a league-wide trend. League average save percentage was only .903 in 23/24, and over a decade ago, it was .915. Pretty significant change. So while Saros did have a slightly below average year for the whole league, it's all about the context of save% going down across the board

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Agreed that Marner has had the better centre, but he has driven lines since being a rookie that included Tyler Bozak and John Tavares. Tavares produced better with Marner than without him.
Meh while Tavares had his best season in Toronto by 2 points. He had 272 goals in 662 games .41 goals a game with the isle and 184 goals in 440 games .42 goals a game with the leafs. 621 points in 662 games .94 points per game with the isles and 419 points in 440 games .95 points a game in Toronto. While it was a little better I’d say Tavares was already really good before marner. Forsberg had way less point producing line mates

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Pretty big assumption trolls hurt my feelings but you pump your tires anyway you can lol.

Agreed, Marner doesn’t produce well in the playoffs, but that’s likely more of a Toronto issue than a Marner issue. He’s only played under Babcock and Keefe, and Keefe is questionable overall in the playoffs as none of our big guys really show in the playoffs and Babcock was garbage for the leafs.
On the contrary I don’t think marner produces horrible in the playoffs. He has 50 in 57 games .88 points per game while Matthews has 48 in 55 games .87 points per game and nylander has 43 points in 54 games .80 points per game. Marner has just became Torontos whipping boy ever though he’s your best playoff producer

Reactions: Tarmore

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You're definitely not a leafs fan. Calling marner a loser proves that. He's a top winger in the league with amazing all around game. As a leafs fan I hope he doesn't get traded and Tavares does.

You should wander over to the Leafs board and see all the other apparent fake Leaf fans that think he's a loser.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think Marner is a great player, but I wouldn't give up grade A assets for him right now. I don't know that he's the guy that can put them into contention, and cutting of your hand to spite your face isn't the move now. Also, how many other teams even have the cap space to make a trade for Marner?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wouldn’t really call 50 points in 57 games disappearing. If that’s the case Matthew’s 48 points in 55 games and nylanders 43 in 54 games is just as bad. Marner has just became Torontos whipping boy and if I was him I would want to get out of Toronto
When you're a forward with an 8 figure cap hit, anything less than a PPG+ is disappointing

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I mean you listed a bunch of teams that are either within the division, or are no where near contending. Teams like Chicago and Anaheim are not going to spend premium assets to acquire a rental. I should have clarified that he might waive to a team like Detroit but there's no chance Toronto would trade him there. A team like Buffalo either can't afford him or Toronto will ask for non-starters like Cozens.

As for Seattle, I explained that in an earlier post. It's a relatively desirable location due to weather, team potential, no state tax, new arena, etc
It would be an extension.

No its not.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No he's still a rental. Whether he signs an extension after is up to him and the new team.

How is Seattle not a desirable location?
You can make a deal with an extension in place.

Because its not. Its prob got some of the longest travel in the league, zero history, high cost of living, and an underwhelming team.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Are the Leafs a better team if they swap Marner for Saros plus 6M in cap space next season? If he lives up to the hype yes for sure, they'd have a top 7 goalie in the league and cap space to re-sign guys who worked well here like Domi.

If they got Saros plus more it would be a steal. Issue is, Saros is going to be 30 starting the first year of his extension. He will likely want term and want 7+. You have Woll on a cheap deal maing 776k next year. His stats are unreal and even better in the playoffs. If he can stay healthy and keep playing like that, how can you afford both? I guess it's a good problem to have.

Anyways, Marner has gotten underrated on here like Kessel was before he was dealt. Nashville is getting an absolute superstar not some scurb. He will make Forsberg look like a 2nd liner. He absolutely makes them better and easily will have his 90+ points being solid on both ends of the ice.

Marner is a damn elite player just not working here
Marner is like Gaudreau. Can collect as many 90 point seasons as he wants, but ultra soft when it counts. Not the kind of players you win with, and those types get ugly contracts

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad