Post-Game Talk: First period sinks Jets, lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Wow did Vegas ever get some Homer high dangerous scoring chances counts tongiht. Jets apparently only generated 3 all night which is a joke on there part. One of the reasons I can't trust single game talkies of public data amylonger.

There's something funky going on with the puck tracking. The 2nd goal against was recorded as being taken from where Amadio was behind the goal line who had the primary assist. The goal was actually scored from the opposite side of the net along the crease.

Edit:

H4e2nJE.png

Red G is where the goal and shot attempt should have been recorded :dunno:

Last edited:

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Rittich was shaky the first 15 minutes, and was ultimately not prepared.

Players subsequently did not know how to react, and were, ultimately not prepared.

Again, Arniel has to stop play after the first goal (or at the latest the second!) there and knock some sense into the guys with a timeout.

This start is on the coaches - the guys weren't ready.
Agreed, guys are still either adjusting to the new game plans Fwd s play golf smart ful ice D, D support up ice fast and able to skate back fast when collapsing, and no dumb pinching when there is no support).. but I strongly feel there is a need in practice and games to get more long ice cardio where team can bring it with the increased stamina for the full game..not floating in the last period or so..
Older vets especially, though Douby looked good that way, Scheif and Wheels not so much..’Just sayin..

That said, It’s early days and we can see the new systems and hopefully accountability have room and time to get miles better..
Not worried.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Can’t expect much with No Save Dave in net. Still can’t believe we signed him.

2-2, .500, Jets back at their natural percentage for this season!
Tracking well to finish just outside the playoffs.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Sorry for bailing on you guys last night, the game was just too late for me and that 4-0 lead by the Golden Showers sealed the deal. The Prediction Contest has been updated and is now posted. Congratulations to @Larabee for correctly predicting the score, the winning team, and the opening goal scorer! I can't remember when we last had a trifecta! Anyway, not only did @Larabee earn six points, an additional two points were awarded for getting all three correct! Way to go!

Don't forget to sign up to create a GDT! Lots of spots available, including the game Saturday night against the Toronto Maple Leafs! What better team to mock than the Laffs!

Reactions: sipowicz

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yup some break downs but I still have no idea what DeMelo was thinking on that first goal. He needs better recognition. He gets the puck on the point and sees all forwards going in deep expecting a rim around or dump amd yet he proceeds to walk in deep and throw a puck at the net with all three in deep. Definitely a mix up but as a vet he should know not to force a play when he knows he has no one backing him up.
I was a bit baffled by that but he was pursuing the puck down the wall, a forward who's not involved has to recognize that and fall back.

In order for the d to be aggressive and make that decision quickly they have to trust that the forwards have their back.

I wouldn't blame demelo for that.

Just a really unlucky first with some poor decisions.

After that the Jets seemed to settle in and play a solid road game, especially 3 in 4 on the road and a b2b.

I haven't liked Schiefele and Connor much the past couple of games, they really didn't do much last night.

Tonight we missed Kovacevic...
You have to be joking

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was a bit baffled by that but he was pursuing the puck down the wall, a forward who's not involved has to recognize that and fall back.

In order for the d to be aggressive and make that decision quickly they have to trust that the forwards have their back.

After that the Jets seemed to settle in and play a solid road game, especially 3 in 4 on the road and a b2b.

I haven't liked Schiefele and Connor much the past couple of games, they really didn't do much last night.

You have to be joking

Sure they have to be able to trust the forwards to cover but they also need to recognize when the right time to activate is as well and with three forwards already in deep and no forward in an obvious spot to switch with him he should have elected to make a different play.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

You have to be joking

I have a feeling this is an important part of the system as well, and staff has probably emphasized the need to just go for it and play it instinctively; doesn't really work if you're in two minds. Hanging back would've been the smarter play but I wonder if some of these guys are trying to fulfill the coaching expectations a bit and this is part of those kinks to iron out.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Perhaps because it was a relatively late game and it's relatively early today, I'm surprised at the lack of post-game posts. In past seasons folks would be baying for blood especially after that first period which, after the first couple of minutes, was embarrassing. Big Save/Sieve Dave did settle down for the second and third periods as did most of the guys in front of him. I'm not sold on Rittich (still baffled at Chevy's choice for backup goalie) but I see a lot of promise up front and time should improve on that even more so.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Shit 1st. They really need to figure out that triangle defense behind the net. Again that is where they scored from. That 4th goal can't happen. Different game and a long road to come back from.

Move on and learn from it

Yup they have given up a number of goals due to a player getting behind our box. That needs to be sorted out.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Another game where there are lessons to be learned but also some positives to take out of it.

There were some system/understanding issues that lead to us giving up a couple of grade A chances that ended up in our net. But once we settled and got back into our systems we played well the back half of the game.

In a game like this you need your top line to step up and they were MIA tonight. I feel like Mark has played much better this year but he has to be able to saw off his matchup against Echiel. Conner was too much on the perimeter and was overhandling the puck. Apelton didn't add much tonight. They need Fly back to drive the puck out of and into the ozone.

Second line played well and could have had another goal or two. Thought Wheeler looked a bit gassed tonight and it lead to some poor puck decisions. Dubois was buzzing all over tonight and Cole continues to look much more comfortable and assertive. He probably should have shot a bit more though.

JoMo was back to last years JoMo tonight. Assertive all over the ice. Pionk with another good night jumping into the play.

Fourth line looks like a line that can generate some chances and possibly some tertiary offense while being responsible.

I still struggle with the third line checking concept in today's game. I'll give them some more time but they aren't checking that well and produce little.

I'll be honest I was expecting a .500 team the first 10 games given the strength of our schedule while learning new schemes. We are tracking right around that Mark.

Nice analysis Surix'...

I especially liked the use of the word "tertiary"...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There's something funky going on with the puck tracking. The 2nd goal against was recorded as being taken from where Amadio was behind the goal line who had the primary assist. The goal was actually scored from the opposite side of the net along the crease.

Edit:

H4e2nJE.png

Red G is where the goal and shot attempt should have been recorded :dunno:

Yeah I just can't trust the data that are used for these public models. I'm sure errors and biases are smoothed over in a big enough sample but for individual games they are almost worthless now.

I'd love it if that puck and player tracking was available to the public. That would provide unbiased and real good data.

Reactions: Jet

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Not that I blame Rittich for the loss, but seeing Comrie play so well kind of stings a bit.

Is Comrie really playing so well? Or is he playing for a Buffalo team which has an established system for helping the goaltender and is not adjusting to a new "unleash the offensive defence" system and a new, largely absentee coach?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The massive swings on this board make me chuckle. Every team in the league is gonna have good nights and bad nights, especially one playing the second game of a back to back with a new coach (who isn't there) and trying to implement new systems

Many of you went from elated when we beat the rangers, to crushed when we lost to Dallas, to elated when we beat the avs, back to crushed after last night

That must be an exhausting way to watch a bunch of guys playing a game

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The massive swings on this board make me chuckle. Every team in the league is gonna have good nights and bad nights, especially one playing the second game of a back to back with a new coach (who isn't there) and trying to implement new systems

Many of you went from elated when we beat the rangers, to crushed when we lost to Dallas, to elated when we beat the avs, back to crushed after last night

That must be an exhausting way to watch a bunch of guys playing a game
0fc.gif

The short answer lies in the definition of a fan. "Fan" = fanatic, ergo the exhausting ride.
:teach:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wow did Vegas ever get some Homer high dangerous scoring chances counts tongiht. Jets apparently only generated 3 all night which is a joke on there part. One of the reasons I can't trust single game talkies of public data amylonger.
Typically the shot quality data will adjust as they will fix stuff, especially near the end.
Most public sites (ex: HV and EH, not sure if NST) adjust for some homer trends too.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Buffalo gave up so many 5 alarm chances the last two games and he's bailed them out.
The Comrie debacle is just so inexplicable - plus we had more than enough cap space to sign him

I still say that chip man had a hand shake deal with comrie’s dad to let him go be a starter hahaa

Reactions: Zippity and Gm0ney

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Typically the shot quality data will adjust as they will fix stuff, especially near the end.
Most public sites (ex: HV and EH, not sure if NST) adjust for some homer trends too.

Maybe I will have to switch to one of those sites if they account for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad