First half Report Card Grades

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Desi has been great for the last week or 2 but was pretty bad before that. C for him seems about right to me.

Desi had a slow start, but mostly from an offensive perspective. He was however doing the job expected from a 4th line winger, defensively. He is now playing with some confidence - a B rating may be a tad high but I based that on his much improved play in the last month or so (he could be an A- lately). Danault at center has helped.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I mean, he's not the type of guy you want playing with Danault and Teuvo long term. He's working now but he won't keep up this level of offensive ability.

I was expecting a sound fourth line winger that can eat some pk minutes. He's been that - earning his C - and the past few weeks he's been playing like a really good third liner. I'm sticking with a B.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Desi had a slow start, but mostly from an offensive perspective. He was however doing the job expected from a 4th line winger, defensively. He is now playing with some confidence - a B rating may be a tad high but I based that on his much improved play in the last month or so (he could be an A- lately). Danault at center has helped.

The way he's been playing, I wouldn't be completely shocked if Q gave him a shot with Toews and Hossa. He's been really good the past few weeks. Of course that would only be a temporary thing and he's not a top 6 guy long term obviously.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
To answer the question F+ is teetering towards F which is absolute failure..you cannot go Lower... than an F ...I had considered giving Hossa an F but I think he tried ...a least for about half the games in the first half...so I gave him an F+ which is still worse than the mark I gave to Toews who would also get an F if not for his faceoff work and I guess decent goal production though it is below his normal 32 for 82 game career average
..and I cannot blame Toews for his below normal by a lit assists production because his wingers are not producing to levels he is accustomed to..and YET ...the eyeball test shows his lack of customary try and hard on the puck effort ...and he has failed to make his wingers better which any $20.5 million 1C ought to ...And even the goals he does have ate peppered with a lit of cheats like OT goals against less men on the ice to check him and goals by deflection or rebound tap in where he really did not beat a goalie by a great shot
..we have seen very few shot goals from him this season to date but when he first came into the.league those type of goals were more a big part of his talent arsenal. SO TO ME .
he is hardly earning his big paycheck and so gets his bad mark on the report card.IF he would realize that Hossa is off the cliff and Shaw is not a top line LW for regular duty them Toews ought to be cranking up his shot attempt total by a lit to score more himself .
By his now efforts. He has to wake up and skate faster with more exertion to get free of checks to get off those shots.
I just do not see him doing that in the first half.
Thus by any measure he deserves his poor mark.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Desjardins is a vet that's signed to an $800k cap hit.

I don't see how that's anything more than an expectation not to suck. Plus, let's face it, he could've gotten a bigger deal on the open market but chose to take less here. That alone earns him big points in my book.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
TOEWS C+ (bad grade for him, still checking)
HOSSA B- (all areas A except just can't finish)
SHAW B+ (nice scoring pace, just a bad start, hooked up now)
PANARIN A (1st year in NHL, language barrier, too many turnovers)
KANE A+ (lots of hardware right now if season ended)
ANISIMOV A- (perfect fit, little better draws, more direct plays)

TT B- (bad start, making 3rd line solid, don't mind him)
BICKELL F (he sucks at hockey)
DESJARDINS B+ (very slow start, A+ last 2-3 weeks)
GARBUTT D+ (could do more, 6-10 G's not too much to ask)
Rasmussen D+ (bad nhl player, needs to do more, be noticable)
Danault A- (comes in makes the 3rd line go, wow. needs 1st G)

KRUGER INC (wasn't near what he could be)

KEITH A (would be A+ if not for few games injured)
SEABROOK B+ (great passing, solid D, teams would kill for him)
HAMMER B (not as solid as previous years, some - games)
ROZSIVAL B- (playing his role well, that B- comes cheap contract)
Gustafsson B+ (playing great, as top 4 turning it over some, stud #5)
TVR B (getting exposed as a top 4, but man 2nd year in NHL, solid)

CC A- (great year again)
Darling C- (can he keep Q's and TEAMS trust after some SOFT ones)

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TOEWS - C
HOSSA - B-
SHAW - C-
PANARIN - B+
KANE - A
ANISIMOV - B+/A-
TT - B
BICKELL - F (Sad but he has completely lost his game)
DESJARDINS - B
GARBUTT - C
Rasmussen - C-
Danault - B+
KRUGER - D

KEITH - B+/A-
SEABROOK - B+
HAMMER - B
ROZSIVAL - C
Gustafsson - B+
TVR - B

CC - A-
Darling - C+

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews - C+ - Not as bad as some say he has been, but the offense has taken a dip, and his overall game has as well. Typically he would be always be an A.

Hossa - C- - Still looks like a beast, but just seems to have lost quite a bit offensively, and can't finish. Typically would be a B+, or A-..

Panarin - A - Been better than advertised, and has helped Kane tremendously. If not for the occasional bad turn over, he would be an A+.

Anisimov - B+ - Lack of faceoff ability hurts him the most, and some games he can disappear. But what he is signed for, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Kane - A+ - enough said

Shaw - B - Same old Shaw, provides versatility, played out of his comfort zone on the top line too many times, no fault of his.

Teravainen - C+ - Expected more from him this year, but lately he has been fairly solid. Hope to see him keep improving this year.

Desjardins - C+ - Horrible start to the year, where he barely looked like an NHLer. Has done a complete 180, and looks the best he has as a Hawk. Would have got a D if not for his recent success.

Garbutt - D - I expected him to be a 15G, 30pt player that could replace Shaw...don't see that happening, but he has been OK for the 4th line.

Bickell - F - Should be in Rockford or Indy, or shut down for a buy out in June.

Kruger - D - 1A in 33GP isn't the Kruger I know, Didn't look like himself before the injury.

Danault - B- - Pleasant surprise to see him come in to the NHL and play like he has so soon after just getting his season started after hip surgery. Looks like the #3C of the future, what he was labelled as for the last few years.

Rasmussen - C- - Had a good start to his NHL career, and has fizzled away. A couple more weeks and he will be in the D's I think.

Kero - C- - Started off as a B, and like most young inexperienced players, fizzled out after 10Gp. Don't see him as much more than a 4th liner, career AHLer.

Dano - C- - Most disappointing player, but I think we expected too much of him, too soon.

Mashinter - D - Not really an NHLer, but can fill in 5mins here or there without being too much of a liability.

Hartman - C - Thought he was OK in his stint in CHI. Give him another full year down in the AHL and he can be something.

Hinostroza - C - I liked Hinostroza, and he could be a solid 3rd liner that can score in the future, his time isn't now though.

Baun - D+ - Made the roster out of camp, 2 games later he was gone to the AHL. Never really liked him much, and he didn't do much to change my mind in his short stint.

D
Keith - A+ - Maybe one of his best seasons since he has returned from injury, which is saying something for a two time Norris Trophy winner.

Seabrook - A - When Keith went down, he took the defense under his wings and made it look respectable. His best offensive year so far, and his defense hasn't been bad either.

Hjalmarsson - B+ - Maybe I have come to expect too much from Hjalmarsson, but he doesn't quite look as good as last year. No complaints about him though.

van Reimsdyk - C+ - Wasn't sure how he would handle a bigger role, he did great at the beginning of the year, but has looked more like a bottom pairing guy lately. Still a solid Dman for us though.

Daley - C+ - Too bad it didn't work out, but didn't think he was that bad in his short stint.

Roszival - C+ - didn't expect much from him, he has been a surprise. Looks better than he did last year.

Rundblad - D- - Adios

Gustafsson - B- - Pleasantly surprised by him, looks like a Nick Leddy lite out there.

Scuderi - C- - Meh, could do without him, but he is a smart defensive player. Could use him in case of an injury in the playoffs, a slightly better Timonen.

Svedberg - C - Thought he was OK in his short stint, but knew it wouldn't last long. Can't see much of an NHL future for him unless he grows some balls in the corners.

Crawford - A - Would get an A+ if not for the handful of stinkers he has had. Really happy we kept him, as if there was any other option.

Darling - C- - Expected him to give Crawford a fight for the job, have been let down. Hope he picks it up.

Coaching staff - A - PP is going, PK is slightly above average, team is progressing as the season goes on. What isn't to like about the coaching staff? (very minor questionable lineup decisions aside)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
My opinion based upon paygrade, personal benchmark, and their performance relative to it.

Toews - C - Everything in his game is comparable with his historical ability--except scoring goals...and doing so 5-5. Tried to be an enforcer early on which worked about as well as a guy with a mullet.

Hossa - C - Like Toews, everything is good *except* his O--and in his case he couldn't score if he had a c-note tied to his junk in a Tijuana brothel.

Panarin - A - Probably tops for the Calder. Awesome for a rookie.

Anisimov - B+ - Everything good except needs to be better at the dot. Near-perfect for the #2C.

Kane - A+ - Leading the league in scoring. Easily best player on the team this year.

Shaw - C - Playing the same game he usually does, but now with added boneheaded penalties.

Teravainen - C+ - Probably should have been better, but certainly didn't suck.

Desjardins - C+ - Like most others think, started slow then got better.

Garbutt - C - Expected an agitator out of him and got it. Overall not too bad, but still makes some boneheaded plays.

Bickell - F - Would be a buyout candidate if it wouldn't potentially affect re-signing Panarin. Has shown nothing. Probably should be waived to give a kid a chance.

Kruger - D+ - Didn't show much before surgery. Not sure how he'll be after.

Danault - B - Still young but good enough to stick. Prone to some rookie mistakes.

Rasmussen - C- - Fizzling.

Kero - C- - Started okay then fizzled to the A.

Dano - C- - Expected more from him. Some seasoning will do him good but expecting him to be solid next year. Playing his off-wing likely contributed to that.

Mashinter - D - Okay as a 13th fwd, but little else. Warm body. Occasional DUUUUUURRRRRPPPPP! moments.

Hartman - C - Promising, but needs more time.

Hinostroza - C - Needs more time to cook.

Baun - D- - Nothing to see here--needs more time.
D
Keith - B+ - Very good, but hasn't been Norris-calibre this year.

Seabrook - A- - O is up. D is good in spide of a few boneheaded plays he sould never make.

Hjalmarsson - B+ - A bit off but few complaints. Still solid.

van Reimsdyk - B- - Came back expecting a 5-6 but turned into a decent 4. Still young enough to make more mistakes than he has.

Daley - D- - Didn't expect much D from him, and he gave us none. Expected some O from him, and he gave us none. He'd be Runblad if it wasn't for his speed.

Roszival - B- - Since coming back and playing down to his geriatric abilities, he's become a solid 6--especially for his price. As long as he keeps that up and doesn't pinch he should be fine.

Rundblad - F - Complete waste of a roster slot. Whether he couldn't or wouldn't play any D or O is moot; he couldn't play our system and was an active roster player for too ling.

Gustafsson - B - For a rookie looks good--almost like a rookie Hjammer.

Scuderi - C - for a 6/7 not inherently bad or good. Unlike Daley, plays D.

Svedberg - C - Needs more seasoning and being able to use his frame.

Crawford - A - Probably the 2nd best guy on the team next to Kane this year. He's had about 5 games where he was bad, and probably 8-9 why he was the reason we won, among others why he was the only reason we weren't beaten like the French at Agincourt. Stats are historically in-line with his performance, even though his Shutouts are already career-high. Possible risk of being Kiprusoff'ed

Darling - C - Definite sophomore slump. Needs to be a bit better to take some pressure off of Crawford. Not really been *horrible* but very Meh.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Toews - C+ - Not as bad as some say he has been, but the offense has taken a dip, and his overall game has as well. Typically he would be always be an A.

Hossa - C- - Still looks like a beast, but just seems to have lost quite a bit offensively, and can't finish. Typically would be a B+, or A-..

Panarin - A - Been better than advertised, and has helped Kane tremendously. If not for the occasional bad turn over, he would be an A+.

Anisimov - B+ - Lack of faceoff ability hurts him the most, and some games he can disappear. But what he is signed for, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Kane - A+ - enough said

Shaw - B - I think this is too high. Shaw has been okay but nothing spectacular. I'd give a C here.Same old Shaw, provides versatility, played out of his comfort zone on the top line too many times, no fault of his.

Teravainen - C+ - Expected more from him this year, but lately he has been fairly solid. Hope to see him keep improving this year.

Desjardins - C+ Exactly how I would have broken it down. F for a lot of the year, but an A+ recently. Overall I would give him a C but his is great rationale.- Horrible start to the year, where he barely looked like an NHLer. Has done a complete 180, and looks the best he has as a Hawk. Would have got a D if not for his recent success.

Garbutt - D - I expected him to be a 15G, 30pt player that could replace Shaw...don't see that happening, but he has been OK for the 4th line.

Bickell - F - Too high. His grade is Bluto Blutarsky.Should be in Rockford or Indy, or shut down for a buy out in June.

Kruger - D - 1A in 33GP isn't the Kruger I know, Didn't look like himself before the injury.

Danault - B- - Pleasant surprise to see him come in to the NHL and play like he has so soon after just getting his season started after hip surgery. Looks like the #3C of the future, what he was labelled as for the last few years.

Rasmussen - C- - Had a good start to his NHL career, and has fizzled away. A couple more weeks and he will be in the D's I think.

Kero - C- - Started off as a B, and like most young inexperienced players, fizzled out after 10Gp. Don't see him as much more than a 4th liner, career AHLer.

Dano - C- - Most disappointing player, but I think we expected too much of him, too soon.

Mashinter - D - Not really an NHLer, but can fill in 5mins here or there without being too much of a liability.

Hartman - C - Thought he was OK in his stint in CHI. Give him another full year down in the AHL and he can be something.

Hinostroza - C - I liked Hinostroza, and he could be a solid 3rd liner that can score in the future, his time isn't now though.

Baun - D+ - Made the roster out of camp, 2 games later he was gone to the AHL. Never really liked him much, and he didn't do much to change my mind in his short stint.

D
Keith - A+ - I would knock of all thes guys down half a letterMaybe one of his best seasons since he has returned from injury, which is saying something for a two time Norris Trophy winner.

Seabrook - A - When Keith went down, he took the defense under his wings and made it look respectable. His best offensive year so far, and his defense hasn't been bad either.

Hjalmarsson - B+ - Maybe I have come to expect too much from Hjalmarsson, but he doesn't quite look as good as last year. No complaints about him though.

van Reimsdyk - C+ - Wasn't sure how he would handle a bigger role, he did great at the beginning of the year, but has looked more like a bottom pairing guy lately. Still a solid Dman for us though.

Daley - C+ - Too bad it didn't work out, but didn't think he was that bad in his short stint.

Roszival - C+ - didn't expect much from him, he has been a surprise. Looks better than he did last year.

Rundblad - D- - Adios

Gustafsson - B- - Pleasantly surprised by him, looks like a Nick Leddy lite out there.

Scuderi - C- - Meh, could do without him, but he is a smart defensive player. Could use him in case of an injury in the playoffs, a slightly better Timonen.

Svedberg - C - Thought he was OK in his short stint, but knew it wouldn't last long. Can't see much of an NHL future for him unless he grows some balls in the corners.

Crawford - A - Would get an A+ if not for the handful of stinkers he has had. Really happy we kept him, as if there was any other option.

Darling - C- - Expected him to give Crawford a fight for the job, have been let down. Hope he picks it up.

Coaching staff - A I think they deserve a C+ or a B-. Panarin has been the key to the PP, as in another lethal option to pair with Kane. With that said we ice too many inexcusable lineups given the other options that are available. The obvious choice often takes WAY too long to be made- PP is going, PK is slightly above average, team is progressing as the season goes on. What isn't to like about the coaching staff? (very minor questionable lineup decisions aside)

Solid grades. I only have a few minor adjustments that I would make. Other than that I agree with everything.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Solid grades. I only have a few minor adjustments that I would make. Other than that I agree with everything.

Fair enough, but it's not surprising you're knocking down Shaw, the D, and the coaching staff. :)

Surprised you didn't want to knock Seabrook down to an E.

Retail1LO*

You'd think we were on pace to draft in the top 10-15 in this upcoming draft with that report card. lol

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
TOEWS D+
HOSSA F+
SHAW C
PANARIN B+
KANE A-
ANISIMOV B

TT C+
BICKELL F-
DESJARDINS C-
GARBUTT F-
( cannot rate Rasmussen, Danault ....too small a sample of games to grade properly).

KRUGER F

KEITH B-
SEABROOK B-
HAMMER C+
ROZSIVAL B

TVR C-
CC A-
Darling C
(too small a sample size to grade Gustafsson yet).

Yes I mark hard...the marks are based on both contribution to the team and some assessment of relative to each player's own highest standards..

For instance ...Kane gets A- ....tremendous contribution to the team but still could improve some aspects ...if I gave A+ it means the highest possibleblevel/no room.for any omprovement
How can he go from A- to A+ in the 3rd half? More good shifts per game ...stronger compete on the back-check and d-zone checking while still producing g off season at te same level.

Toews gets a D+ because except for a handful of games so far he has not hustled enough ...not shot enough.
.and not taken the puck enough to generate expected offense 9f a $10.5 million player.Based on his own high standards he has not lived upto them most of the first half. Vast room to improve to get to his A game more 9f ten. .He has been A+ on faceoff and about C meh level.pn goal scoring to expectation.But especially 5x5 he just does not seem like any danger threat for opponents .
AND SO based on him not being anywhere near top form consistently..I have to grade him at D+ only.

SEABROOK'S top form is about a B+ ...so B- reflects a few games where he just is off mentally or not moving well defensively..He is producing offense this year..

Keith has produced offense since getting back from.injury ...but defensively too many sloppy or off top form defensive efforts
.a mixed bag lower than his top form.

Hence B- for him.

D+ and F+. Couldnt stop laughing. Why doesnt rundblad have a grade for 1LW

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I admit the hawks haven't played to the lie fullest potential in the first half but come on now. If pretty much sleepwalking nets the Hawks a top 4 team in the league, imagine what this team will be when they are fully awake.

The Hawks have earned the benefit of the doubt and maybe just maybe some fans expectations of this team is way too high for even the Hawks to reach. This thread feels like a joke thread, so kudos to the humorous responses in the thread.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Grades look about right for a team 11th in the conference.

C+/- for the fanbase
F+ to the hockey ops office
F- to McDonough for the Kaner press conference
B- for Kane
A++ for Toews because intangibles

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Grades look about right for a team 11th in the conference.

C+/- for the fanbase
F+ to the hockey ops office
F- to McDonough for the Kaner press conference
B- for Kane
A++ for Toews because intangibles

Classic

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
For a team with a lot of Fs, Ds, and Cs, it's fairly shocking that we sit in a threeway tie for third most points in the league right now.

Either the grading scale is way off or the rest of the league is just godawful.

Ding, ding, ding.

50 is losing his mind. Kane is the best player in the league, Panarin is the best rookie in the league, yet neither get an A+? :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Toews C+
Kane A+
Hossa C+
Panarin A+
Anisimov A
Shaw C
Bickell E
Danault B
TT C+
Desjardins C
Garbut D
Manshinter F (F for Failure)
Rassmussen C
Kruger C-

Keith A-
Seabrook B+
Hammer B
Roszival B
TVR B-
Gus B
Scuderi C

Crawford A+
Darling C

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Toews - C+ - Not as bad as some say he has been, but the offense has taken a dip, and his overall game has as well. Typically he would be always be an A. A Few OT winners would lead to have him at a B-

Panarin - A - Been better than advertised, and has helped Kane tremendously. If not for the occasional bad turn over, he would be an A+. He doesn't speak English and is new to the NHL, also the leading point scorer of all rookies in a very strong rookie class. A+ for the Bread man.

Kane - A+ - enough said

Shaw - B - Same old Shaw, provides versatility, played out of his comfort zone on the top line too many times, no fault of his. I was thinking B+, I think he's been better this year than he was last, and I still love what he brings to this team.

Desjardins - C+ - Horrible start to the year, where he barely looked like an NHLer. Has done a complete 180, and looks the best he has as a Hawk. Would have got a D if not for his recent success.

Bickell - F - Should be in Rockford or Indy, or shut down for a buy out in June.

D
Keith - A+ - Maybe one of his best seasons since he has returned from injury, which is saying something for a two time Norris Trophy winner.

Seabrook - A - When Keith went down, he took the defense under his wings and made it look respectable. His best offensive year so far, and his defense hasn't been bad either. I would say A- here, his defense has been bad for times, especially as of late. Still though, he was a legend for this team when Keith went down.

Rundblad - D- - Adios

Crawford - A - Would get an A+ if not for the handful of stinkers he has had. Really happy we kept him, as if there was any other option. Perfect. Crawford finally getting some love

Coaching staff - A - PP is going, PK is slightly above average, team is progressing as the season goes on. What isn't to like about the coaching staff? (very minor questionable lineup decisions aside) This. This about what this team has to do with moving the Salary cap around to make it work. Losing Saad, Sharp, Oduya and having them replaced with lesser talent (outside of Panarin). This organization deserves an A+ for where we are at currently.

Best one I've seen thus far, just with a few notes. Well done sir :handclap:

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Lol at giving Kane an A- and Panarin a B+ 50. How could either of these guys be better than they have been? Seriously I say this every time I respond to one of your posts. Why not root for someone else? You seem to hate. Toews steal your gf or somethung?

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
Lol at giving Kane an A- and Panarin a B+ 50. How could either of these guys be better than they have been? Seriously I say this every time I respond to one of your posts. Why not root for someone else? You seem to hate. Toews steal your gf or somethung?

I think he does in the first place. I can go and make a new screen name, call it "SuperSTARfan 10" and go and pick out little things that "my" #1 in the NHL team is doing wrong and B#### and troll till I'm blue in the face. But that's the internet for you.

If he is indeed a Hawks fan, it is very apparent that he's jealous of Toews' money, cause that's all we here about in the rants.

The guy helped win us three Cups dood....

caseenxmas15.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad