Pre-Game Talk: First Game of December! Wednesday vs. Penguins

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Not good.. none of it. Well, happy for Niem

Apparently what happens in Vegas, doesn't stay in Vegas. And of course this happens after a ridiculously lax schedule just as we are getting into a heavy schedule which will make it very hard to catch up if this ends up being more than one guy.

I guess in the grand scheme of things short a player for an eastern rival means it isn't a huge issue in terms of points given up, then the next one is Seattle, that you should be able to survive.

Reactions: Czechboy

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Not good.. none of it. Well, happy for Niem

Getting complacent in going out is definitely not good. Technically were still in a pandemic and with new variants popping up. Stay safe everyone!

Well, the D-corp depth is truly going to be tested in the next few games. Hopefully everyone gets well soon.

Reactions: Czechboy

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Our defence is really gonna be Barrie, Russell, 2 guys that were black aces last year and 2 guys that started the year in Bakersfield.

Yee haw.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Getting complacent in going out is definitely not good. Technically were still in a pandemic and with new variants popping up. Stay safe everyone!

Well, the D-corp depth is truly going to be tested in the next few games. Hopefully everyone gets well soon.

Assuming this lineup holds for tomorrow night, Kris Russell will have 186 more games played than the other 5 defensemen combined, despite Barrie himself having 630 of those game. 74 games played total amongst 4 of the 6 dmen. Yowza.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I'm assuming the Keith IR trip is a paperwork transaction so they can add a player and still hope Ceci can return within the one week timeline. Since he's been off since last Wednesday, retroactive IR could have him removed as quickly as tomorrow or Thursday.

100% getting some retroactive cap relief

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
you never want players to get hurt, and especially dont want a covid outbreak among our players, but I would rather it happen now to force us to use younger guys in roles they would never see if everyone is healthy. It makes the team stronger and controversy and adversity is what forms good teams into great teams. This is a positive as long as we arent losing guys long term

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I was just thinking yesterday about how lucky we were to not have anyone in COVID protocol yet. f***...

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
100% getting some retroactive cap relief

No Cap Relief as it's only IR. To get any cap relief it would need to be LTIR and he'd need to miss 8 more games. We'd only need that relief if we needed to add another player beyond Niemelainen, and even then, Shore has been out long enough that he could be sent to LTIR and still be an option to reactivate as soon as Friday. Otherwise 4K could also go LTIR if they know he's not available until at least Toronto on the 14th.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-11-30_11-9-45.png

This keeps up and I might finally see Musil on the roster.lol

2nd rounder
.5 ppg NHL average
BIG

That's it, that's my pitch.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm assuming the Keith IR trip is a paperwork transaction so they can add a player and still hope Ceci can return within the one week timeline. Since he's been off since last Wednesday, retroactive IR could have him removed as quickly as tomorrow or Thursday.
Hoping it is something like that. Tipp said him and Nurse are closest to returning.

Ceci has been a real bonus this year.

The cancelled practice is a bit worrisome.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hoping it is something like that. Tipp said him and Nurse are closest to returning.

Ceci has been a real bonus this year.

The cancelled practice is a bit worrisome.

I wouldn't panic much over that. It's precautionary and they did get in a practice yesterday.

I'd rather them be cautious and stop an outbreak in its tracks. An outbreak costing them 2 or 3 games on the schedule might be the final straw killing the Olympics pushing McDavid's first chance at a best on best tournament in a Canada jersey into his late 20s, which is terrible for hockey.

Reactions: Zenos

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
It's fun to watch all the rookies get some time, I'm not too concerned with playoff chances those are locked in barring something catastrophic.

Excited to see Niemelainen if he gets a game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's fun to watch all the rookies get some time, I'm not too concerned with playoff chances those are locked in barring something catastrophic.

Excited to see Niemelainen if he gets a game.

It just goes to show how crucial this early run was. Sure nice to weather a storm of injuries knowing that a couple lost games while exposing some rookies won't sink the season, so you can really push them into situations you'd normally not consider, because you can afford the learning mistakes.

Even nicer that these rookies, or young pros, are treading water keeping it going (with much help from Kosko on Saturday). Shockingly, this rash of injuries has turned into 3-1 run. 2 straight wins when the list grew to include Keith.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It just goes to show how crucial this early run was. Sure nice to weather a storm of injuries knowing that a couple lost games while exposing some rookies won't sink the season, so you can really push them into situations you'd normally not consider, because you can afford the learning mistakes.

Even nicer that these rookies, or young pros, are treading water keeping it going (with much help from Kosko on Saturday). Shockingly, this rash of injuries has turned into 3-1 run. 2 straight wins when the list grew to include Keith.
I had said this before too, it came at a great time cause luckily we have a pretty easy stretch with Nurse out.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Ha! Very good. Silly me - of course they are!!

(And now I'm prob blocked by the ladies in here!)
No, they are tougher. U will get a few complaints from the whiners on here. I don’t have to say there names. U already know. Soft world we now live in. I bet they wouldn’t allow Slap Shot now because it’s too rough

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad