First Coach Fired will be Gulutzan

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Coyotes loss was painful and now losing to the Ducks at home should spark a coaching change. There are only a handful of games left but it appears the Calgary Flames Gulutzan will get the axe first. Brian Burke and GM won't stay idle. There is no source, this is just common sense and a gut feeling.

The stick throwing incident miraculously bought Gulutzan time because the team started to win. No coach has been fired this season but that will change.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You know it's kinda funny. Everyone wanted Hartley fired for someone who could coach the team to have a defensive possession based system. They get exactly that in Gulutzan and now the team can't score.

I bet he gets another year, but with the way the Flames are concluding the season I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone either. Arguably did less with more than Bob ever did.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
He really does need to go.

I don’t think it’s all on him. This is a mentally fragile team, which to me doesn’t fall att he coaches feet. That is squarely on the players.

His system just doesn’t seem to play to the Flames strength. Does it need to be an extreme like the system Hartley ran, no.

But somewhere in between.

Everyone will be clamoring to get Coach Q if he gets the turf, but I wouldn’t think that a good idea.

I’d take Torts or Sutter, knowing this group needs tough love on a daily basis to get past this level of soft play.

Of course both come with a limited shelf life, but that’s okay, this iteration of the Flames hasn’t got a long time to realize it’s potential.

Reactions: Canuck16 and Steven

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why not just wait seven games?
They probably will. I don't think anybody's getting fired, until April 7th or 8th.

When was the last time a coach was fired with 6 or 7 games (or even under 10?) left in the season? And I mean for teams that weren't in a playoff spot. I'm not even counting when Lou fired Julien with 3 games to go when the team was in first place or Ftorek late in the year in 2000 when they were in a playoff spot. Or Ftorek in Boston when they were in a playoff spot.

I can't remember the last time it happened for a non-playoff team with so little time left in the season. It seems to happen in the NFL with just a few games left to go (which is more significant amount of time left in the season) more than here in the NHL.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
That's the one thing I hate about pro sports. Guys get fired way too early. Give them some time to make a difference. Rome wasn't built over night.

For years the preds sucked but stuck with their GM. Look at what they get to enjoy now. The Rangers are also pretty loyal to Sather.

I respect that. What I don't respect is people being fired before they have really had a chance to put their stamp on things. It may take a few years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What other head coach goes? I predict AV, Bill Peters (definitely he's gone with a new GM and owner coming in) Todd McLellan (he might be safe for part of next year though?), Quenneville (they might let him ''resign'' or ''mutually'' part ways and even offer him another job in the organization if he chooses not to coach), are probably all gone in 2.5 weeks, along with Gulutzan. I'm also thinking Yeo is getting sacked if St. Louis misses the playoffs, maybe even if they make the playoffs and go out early. Blashill is probably gone with Holland and the new GM hires his own guy. Boucher is possible.

I really thought Tocchet was going, but their late ''Push'' might save him. Hakstol is probably gone in the slight chance the Flyers miss out. Hitch 2.0 era is probably over if Nill is canned. He might get brought back if Nill is not canned.

Trotz is gone after they go out in the playoffs.

How could I forget Dead Weight? He's probably gone too, along with Garth if the owners have the gonads to can him and just eat the rest of his remaining years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's the one thing I hate about pro sports. Guys get fired way too early. Give them some time to make a difference. Rome wasn't built over night.

For years the preds sucked but stuck with their GM. Look at what they get to enjoy now. The Rangers are also pretty loyal to Sather.

I respect that. What I don't respect is people being fired before they have really had a chance to put their stamp on things. It may take a few years.
3 years is about the average head coaching stint right now in the NHL. It's probably under 3 years since half the teams in the league have made at least one head coaching change since the Spring of 2016. Gulutzan will have only had 2 years, he was hired that Spring also. I don't follow the Flames close enough to know if he's bad or not, but I did think they'd be better this year than they have been. I thought they'd be a playoff team, if not just a wild card team. Because they made the playoffs last year with a platoon of backups in net. Not that Mike Smith is good, I think he's just okay. Pretty average. And with this current stretch, his numbers have now regressed to the neighborhood of where he was in Arizona. He was in the .920's for quite a while this season and people were like ''Dat Arizona defense tho! His gud on a structured team!'' and combined with the non-Mike Smith backups who have been just whatever, they're on par with last year's goaltending.

Looks like their shooting percentage regressed by over a full percent and a percent below the league average.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
You know it's kinda funny. Everyone wanted Hartley fired for someone who could coach the team to have a defensive possession based system. They get exactly that in Gulutzan and now the team can't score.

I bet he gets another year, but with the way the Flames are concluding the season I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone either. Arguably did less with more than Bob ever did.

So either he gets fired or he doesn’t... thanks for info.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Why not quinville in chicago?
angry walrus is worthless
Paul_MacLean_Brandon_Prust.jpg

"We don't care what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say" Prust said.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he will let go. I had Calgary winning the division, looks like they won't make the playoffs at all at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad