First Canadian team to win Stanleys Cup?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I know it looks bleak right now but a lot can happen within a decade and I think the Canadiens will return to becoming a really good team. Of course I have no rational reason to believes this other than hockey team's strengths are very fluctual.

I still remember the Bolts being the laughing stock of the league and Colorado and Detroit being absolute monster teams.

By the time the Habs are competitive again the Jets and Leafs will be fighting for their 3rd or 4th cup.;)

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
None of the Canadian teams will win with this generation of players.

Who knows what will happen after 25 years though. One of them might have built a powerhouse team from players yet unborn.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Zero factual evidence to this

You don't actually need facts when you're a Leafs fan.

66 goals by U22 players is actually > 105 goals by U22 players.
97 points in a joke division with 3rd healthiest team in league > 102 points in toughest division with 3rd most injuries
PP points/minute is the determining factor for who the best defenseman is, which is how Marc-Andre Bergeron won all those Norris trophies.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's down to the Leafs and Jets, the Oilers would be there but then they started doing stupid things like trading the Barzal pick to the NYI, trading Eberle to the NYI and trading Hall to the Devils for a #3 D man.

had they not done those stupid things they'd be a contender today, but they did and are now back at the bottom

Baywulf

Feb 23, 2017

97 points in a joke division with 3rd healthiest team in league > 102 points in toughest division with 3rd most injuries
PP points/minute is the determining factor for who the best defenseman is, which is how Marc-Andre Bergeron won all those Norris trophies.

Regulation wins/losses as now: Jets 39/19 Leafs 33/23. That's Jets +20 and Leafs +10.
3v3 and shootouts won't play big role in playoffs.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I mean, if you want to evaluate a group of players purely by goals scored, then why not say the Leafs > Winnipeg because 255 goals for > 250 goals for? The only reason you're cherry picking is because it favors your players

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
“Look at our young players!”

“No, look at our young players!”

Shut up, we both have great young players!

Reactions: Herschel

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Last season the Leafs were 1-8 in the shootout and you can say those loses cost them a top 3 spot in the Atlantic since they were tied in points with Boston for 3rd and why they had to settle for being in the 2nd Wild Card due to having less ROW wins. So I'm not going to be upset that they have a winning record in the shootout or think of it that's supposed to be bad or have some asterisk associated with it.

No one said that there should be an asterisk.
One poster said the only reason the Jets are ahead is because they have 3 more overtime losses than the Leafs. No.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I mean, if you want to evaluate a group of players purely by goals scored, then why not say the Leafs > Winnipeg because 255 goals for > 250 goals for? The only reason you're cherry picking is because it favors your players

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that goals by young players was the most important stat. Then I looked back and noticed that its only even strength goals that matter - particularly when debating Laine v Matthews. Total goals is only important when comparing Matthews favourably to McDavid.

Also power play points/minute is a very critical stat for defensemen but not skilled forwards. Welcome to Leafland.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that goals by young players was the most important stat. Then I looked back and noticed that its only even strength goals that matter - particularly when debating Laine v Matthews. Total goals is only important when comparing Matthews favourably to McDavid.

Also power play points/minute is a very critical stat for defensemen but not skilled forwards. Welcome to Leafland.
Why would you be under the impression that total goals is the only thing that matters when comparing a group of players? Stop trying to deflect by bringing up weird, irrelevant arguments to somehow try to make Leafs fans look bad due to previous discussions. You're making a terrible case for Winnipeg, and for yourself as a judge of talent

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
To suggest that the Jets window closes in a couple of years because of Buff’s and Wheeler’s age is so silly. The Jets are stacked with young talent, and this youth will continue to grow organically.

Anyways, plenty of years to quibble about this. Both team’s futures are bright.

Reactions: libertarian

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
It's down to the Leafs and Jets, the Oilers would be there but then they started doing stupid things like trading the Barzal pick to the NYI, trading Eberle to the NYI and trading Hall to the Devils for a #3 D man.

had they not done those stupid things they'd be a contender today, but they did and are now back at the bottom
Still ahead of Eberle and Barzal. :naughty:

Reactions: SotasicA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad