GDT: first 5-1 loss streak of the season vs Toronto maple leafs

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wait when did you move to Winston-Salem? Do you like living there?
July. Took an IT gig out here since Wake Hospital was upgrading their Electronic Medical Record system and I'm an "expert" in my module :sarcasm: (but kinda not)

No seriously it's awesome. Found a great place downtown walking distance from 3 breweries, the best pizza I've had in NC, a pretty decent BBQ join as GP can attest, and a barcade, so no complaints here. Plus my place is pretty damn big and nice for the price. Really it reminds me of what Durham was about 10-15 years ago.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
July. Took an IT gig out here since Wake Hospital was upgrading their Electronic Medical Record system and I'm an "expert" in my module :sarcasm: (but kinda not)

No seriously it's awesome. Found a great place downtown walking distance from 3 breweries, the best pizza I've had in NC, a pretty decent BBQ join at GP can attest, and a barcade, so no complaints here. Plus my place is pretty damn big and nice for the price.

Cool man, glad to hear it! I've always thought Winston-Salem is underrated. Kind of strikes me as a more conservative version of Durham.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Literally exactly as I would describe it, feels a bit weird going from being considered a borderline nazi to a borderline commie locally in the course of a few months honestly.

I know someone who was born and raised outside Knoxville and was called a 'communist' for being a CNN viewer. Now he lives in Boulder. Lets just say he doesn't want people there knowing he used to be a big fan of The Apprentice :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
4-0-0 in games I’ve watched this season. I’ll be at the game against St Louis, but will miss the Ducks game
Am I gonna have to break some kneecaps, repeatedly, and get the TV stuck on FSN Carolinas? Because I'll break some kneecaps repeatedly and get the TV stuck on FSN Carolinas if that's what it takes. :sarcasm:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Only got to see bits and pieces of this game. But I've said this before on other big Teuvo nights. You watch him play like he did tonight and think damn if he could build some consistency to his game he could become such a big time player. I don't think we'll see it this season, but I really could see him eventually breaking out to be like a 25-30 goal scorer in the 60-65 pt range. His game looked so complete tonight, he just needs to figure out how to do put up similar games like tonight more than every 4th or 5th game.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Only got to see bits and pieces of this game. But I've said this before on other big Teuvo nights. You watch him play like he did tonight and think damn if he could build some consistency to his game he could become such a big time player. I don't think we'll see it this season, but I really could see him eventually breaking out to be like a 25-30 goal scorer in the 60-65 pt range. His game looked so complete tonight, he just needs to figure out how to do put up similar games like tonight more than every 4th or 5th game.

He needs room to use his skill and seemed to have it tonight for the first time in a while. Without going back and watching the replay, I can't say if that was more about us being physical or Toronto's D being soft. But on both the goal he scored and the nice pass he made on Rask's goal, McGinn was in front of the net drawing people down to him and away from the edges of the circles where Teuvo likes to operate.

I'd like to keep that line together because Rask is starting to look better and three distinct playing styles on the same line often turns out to be a good mix.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I like how Fleury hadn't been on the ice for a goal scored once by the Canes in the first 7 games of the season. But then tonight he happens to be on the ice for 4 of the goals.

Reactions: Unsustainable

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So Darling still looks very uncomfortable and clumsy in the net. I hope he gets better and he's obviously an upgrade over ward but he doesn't seem like the type of goalie that can steal a game. He seems positionally stable though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So Darling still looks very uncomfortable and clumsy in the net. I hope he gets better and he's obviously an upgrade over ward but he doesn't seem like the type of goalie that can steal a game. He seems positionally stable though.
He's been serviceable enough. I think the big thing is that we just need him to be good enough not to lose us games, which he hasn't lost us a game so far. If he can keep that up it's a big upgrade over Ward and especially Lack the past few seasons.

Last edited:

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Am I gonna have to break some kneecaps, repeatedly, and get the TV stuck on FSN Carolinas? Because I'll break some kneecaps repeatedly and get the TV stuck on FSN Carolinas if that's what it takes. :sarcasm:

I picked up an overtime shift Sunday, and I work from 7am-7pm. When I looked at the schedule, I thought the Anaheim game was on Monday.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Parting thoughts on this inexplicably good game:

McGinn was the 1st star. I don’t know who actually was, but it should’ve been McGinn. I’ve been one of his harsher critics in the past, but his issues were with playing structured hockey. He seems to get it now and with his motor and decent skill set he should be a staple in the lineup, probably in the top 9. I’d advocate for him to be the net front guy on the 2nd PP unit instead of......Ryan? Rask? Who is even doing that right now?

Darling, for a large man, gets moved rather easily by his own players sometimes and sometimes the opponent from not a ton of contact. He settled down nicely after the 3rd goal.

TVR/Fleury looked great in addition to having the stats to back it up. They both attacked the puck with authority.

For all the Hanifin-Faulk pairing bashing, they were on for 1 goal against and it was a shit pinch by Faulk that caused a 4-2. Hanifin tried to play it in the middle and cover everything which would up covering nothing because the rebound didn’t kick straight out. They got hemmed in a couple times in the 2nd, but it wasn’t the total horror show some are making it out to be.

I think the reason Slavin-Faulk and Hanifin-Pesce don’t work is because Pesce is a #4 at best when he’s not with Slavin, and Hanifin is in the same boat, maybe closer to a #5. That’s not a viable 2nd pairing.

A game in Toronto and no points from a Staal is weird.

Good for Rask burying that shot. He’s going to need to bury his limited chances if he wants to make an impact.

Ryan is an anchor. I know the idea is that Skinner can score with any asshole as his center but he’d have to have more chances if his line could have the damn puck every now and then.

All in all, good win, good response after the Leafs tied it up.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

No seriously it's awesome. Found a great place downtown walking distance from 3 breweries, the best pizza I've had in NC, a pretty decent BBQ join as GP can attest, and a barcade, so no complaints here. Plus my place is pretty damn big and nice for the price. Really it reminds me of what Durham was about 10-15 years ago.

Tried Hutch and Harris on 4th St?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
He needs room to use his skill and seemed to have it tonight for the first time in a while. Without going back and watching the replay, I can't say if that was more about us being physical or Toronto's D being soft. But on both the goal he scored and the nice pass he made on Rask's goal, McGinn was in front of the net drawing people down to him and away from the edges of the circles where Teuvo likes to operate.

I'd like to keep that line together because Rask is starting to look better and three distinct playing styles on the same line often turns out to be a good mix.

This spot on. Teuvo can do some work on his own, but if he's paired with guys that either make space or draw other guys to them, his skills shine.

Erik Cole. Literally, that's the only player (aside from Ryan) in the history of the Canes I can think of that he's shown chemistry with until Willy came along.

Good old Jussi Jokinen played well with Skins....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This spot on. Teuvo can do some work on his own, but if he's paired with guys that either make space or draw other guys to them, his skills shine.

It helps that the Leafs play a style that gives opposing players a lot of space. Canes didn't need to do much "making of space" last night, but they sure were able to capitalize on it when the Leafs gave it to them.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Last night there was a whole lot of dispersed scoring. They won the way this team is structured to win games through dispersed scoring across the top 3 lines and on the blue line. Very refreshing to see,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad