First 14 Seasons: Crosby vs. Howe

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Hits are about as useless a raw stat as +/- without context.

Be better than that.

Uh...for being engaged physically what would you suggest is better?

He was a physical dominator in the past and sure as he's aged he's slowed down a little on that and maybe doesn't quite have the humongous hits anymore.

But he's still right around his average in hits for his career (per hockey reference).

Here are some big hits OV had in the World Championships this past year

This huge Alex Ovechkin hit sent Brady Skjei upside down into Russia’s bench

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Until 8 proves the one time he's been past the 2nd round, in 14 friggin years, wasn't an aberration, he'll never outpace Richard for example, IMHO. Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer ever, but while somebody like MJ wants to bemoan secondary assists, he always disappears when people, like myself bring up the fact that 8 has always needed vastly more shot attempts (both on net and missed) to win the goal scoring races. He's a volume goal scorer and that matters. Last year being a perfect example. 1 goal more than 2nd place in the Rocket race and he needed 100+ more shots on net to achieve it. It's called context.

Can you stop harping on about that ridiculous once in fourteen years, it's an absolutely nonsensical argument that doesn't prove anything about Ovechkin. Here's a direct comparison to Maurice Richard over the same time period as Ovechkin:

Maurice Richard, age-25 to 33 seasons, 46-47 through 54-55:
Playoffs: 67 Games, 32 Goals, 14 Assists, 46 Points
Missed playoffs 1 year, suspended for playoffs 1 year, lost 1st round twice, lost 2nd round 4 times, 1 Stanley Cup

Alex Ovechkin, age-25 to 33 seasons, 10-11 through 18-19:
Playoffs: 100 Games, 45 Goals, 41 Assists, 86 Points
Missed playoffs 1 year, lost 1st round twice, lost 2nd round 5 times, 1 Stanley Cup

This is me cherry-picking, but this is a nine season sample of both Richard and Ovechkin's results. The year Maurice Richard was suspended, Montreal lost in the 2nd round, so you're basically looking at the exact same playoff results for both players. Another fun fact is that during this time period, Montreal played 3 teams with a positive goal differential and 5 teams with a negative goal differential in the first round, compared to Washington's 8 teams with a positive goal differential. In the second round, Montreal played 5 teams with a positive goal differential, and 1 team with a negative goal differential, and beat only the team with the negative goal differential (their 52-53 Cup was achieved as a +7 team by beating a -6 Chicago team and a -20 Boston team, compared to Washington's 17-18 Cup as a +18 team beating +10 Columbus, +22 Pittsburgh, +46 Tampa, and +43 Vegas). So not only did Ovechkin have to play better teams, he also performed better - 0.86 PPG versus 0.68. [Also, if you remove the games played by Ovechkin after the 2nd round, and add the games Richard missed while suspended, you get 88 to 79, which means that Ovechkin played roughly 1 game more each playoff year, and not the 33 game gap raw numbers would indicate.]

Here's another cherry-picked age sample:
Sidney Crosby age-22 through 27 seasons, 09-10 through 14-15:
Playoffs: 51 Games, 19 Goals, 36 Assists, 55 Points, -3
Missed 1 playoffs due to injury, lost in 1st round twice, lost in 2nd round twice, lost in 3rd round once.

To compensate for the playoffs missed due to injury, I'll cut off Ovechkin's age-27 season to compare 5 playoff runs to 5 playoff runs.

Alex Ovechkin age-22 through 26 seasons, 07-08 through 11-12:
Playoffs: 51 Games, 30 Goals, 29 Assists, 59 Points, +11
Lost in 1st round twice, lost in 2nd round three times

The point I'm trying to make is that you can cherry-pick player results to show that both Crosby and Richard have nearly the exact same team results as Ovechkin over a significant time period, and there's an easy argument that Ovechkin had the better individual results compared to both players. How much does your Ovechkin narrative change if the 15-16 and 16-17 Pens/Caps series were in the Conference Final or the Stanley Cup Final, instead of the 2nd round? They only met then due to the NHL playoff bracketing, not due to team quality. The 08-09 and 17-18 series were a bit different, because they weren't #1 vs #2, but those two series could easily have been later in the playoffs as well given different seedings/results.

If you want to engage in dumb hypotheticals, why not switch the results of all 4 Pittsburgh-Washington series, so that the Capitals win 3 and Penguins win 1 (with further results remaining the same), and figure out what the narrative would be in that case, with Washington having 3 Cups, and Pittsburgh just 1 Cup and another Finals loss. I mean, it isn't like there's much difference between the teams when you sum up all the series as a whole - Pittsburgh won 14 games, Washington won 12, Pittsburgh scored 77 goals, Washington scored 74. Crosby was 13+17=30 in 25 games, +5, compared to Ovechkin's 15+18=33 in 26 games, +6. That's why I hate trying to construct any sort of narrative about playoff performance, because the sample sizes are so small. The 18-19 Lightning, the 09-10 Capitals, and the 05-06 Red Wings are the three teams with the highest point totals since the lockout, and all three teams had a bad week, and lost in the 1st round.

Simplistic response from a simple mindset.

The Caps have really dominated the league haven't they with the greatest volume shooter of all time?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by dominance - the Caps have 3 President's Trophies and 1 Cup, the Penguins have 3 Cups and 0 President's Trophies. In an EPL-esque NHL, where the winner of the regular season is the league champion (or even if the two Conference winners play for a championship akin to pre-Expansion MLB), the Capitals would have 3 to the Penguins 0, despite the Penguins having 2 of the top 5 post-lockout players for 13 of the 14 years. What sort of narrative and pressure would be on Crosby and Malkin, 13/14 years into their career and they've only managed to finish 1st in their conference once, finishing 2nd 6 times, let alone the entire league where they've only finished 2nd twice, compared to the dominant Capitals team that has finished 1st in the conference 4 times, and won the league 3 times and finished 2nd once.

But look, I'm not really disagreeing with your points, or saying that your arguments aren't valid. I'm just asking you to consider different narratives, some more plausible than others, that don't involve much change in results, and how those would affect your opinions about a player.

I did have a thought while typing this, though it doesn't really apply to any of your points, but it would be interesting to get a poll series going on the main forum listing all of the teammates of Crosby and Ovechkin, and getting them ranked by just their performance as teammates, and see how that vote would end up - how many Pens/Caps would end up in the top 5/10/25/50. Malkin, Backstrom, Letang, Holtby would probably be the top 4, but further results could finally put to bed the better teammates line that gets thrown around a bunch by partisans.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I didn't have an answer and had something else to do.

Should have said not necessarily.

It was really a loaded question. "So you think Crosby played the best hockey of his career in 13/14?"

We had exchanged posts talking about PPG specifically. You then stopped posting when I posed a specific question. You then decide to jump back to state the obvious that Crosby's best full seasons aren't on the level of Howe's best seasons when it should have been clear I have always associated Crosby's level of play in his partial seasons as being on the same level as Howe's best save for his 52/53 season.

It should also be clear that I am not arguing that Crosby is close to Howe all-time, and will not be given the dramatic differences in their peak full season resumes. I do think Crosby has a chance to surpass Howe's length of elite prime i.e. he will maintain a higher standing in the league for a longer amount of time, given he had the 2nd best career start for an 18 year old in NHL history. I have Howe hitting an elite level in 49/50 and staying there until the 63/64 season. His Top 5 scoring finishes after that are impressive given his age but they are more like Top 10 finishes in today's league.

I think there is significance in Crosby going toe-to-toe with Howe offensively in his prime over a 14 year period and any doubts given Crosby's injuries are eliminated when you compare their playoff resumes. The significance will be him carving a specific place at #5.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I didn't like it much either, really depend of how much you match the prime of the elite of your time, I did split it in 2 batch of 7 season for that reason but still, do still feel flayed. For an obvious example, Ovechkin get a massive injury in 2006, Crosby would be the goal leader of the last 14 season ? Is he really an all time great scorer or just a question that a lot of good goal scorer prime were cut by the lock out and the newer one like Stamkos/Ovechkin got injured a lot in that scenario and he didn't face a Bure/Selanne or even just an Jarome Iginla prime.

During Howe 14 season, almost no one played those 14 season to start with, like less than 7 other player's, making the group he had to beat to have the most points of the era a really small one.

I will look at your idea (once I achieve to get all the player stats, i think I did find a way for that), but it will introduce new issues, for example because the scoring shifted so much between 98 to 2004 and the post lock out era that it will give an advantage to Crosby when comparing the ppg for the player that their career played before the lock out and could hurt Howe because scoring went up around that time has well.

Maybe instead of looking at it in 2 group of 7 season, I could look at it in multiple group of 3 season or if anyone has good idea.

I can show that the best scorers (either raw points or PPG) other than Howe in those 14 years, or even his 20 year career of Top 5 finishes have better scoring finishes than the best scorers other than Crosby in his 14 years. E.g Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, Richard, all have better finishes than OV and Malkin. This should come as no surprise as it was easier for the elite offensive players in the O6 to finish in the Top 3, 5 or 10 than it is for the best scorers in today's league given the large difference in league sizes. On average, the 5th place scorer in the O6 (1947 to 1967) was as far behind as the 10th place scorer in the last 20 years.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@Bear of Bad News

How about we just shut this down? I mean since the usual suspects saw a thread with Crosby in it and just had to bring Ovechkin up even though 8 has no bearing on the discussion here.

Howe>Crosby. Prime, peak, longevity, whatever.

We can't even escape the same old bullshit in the HoH section.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So here are the PPG leaders (min. 500 games) in Howe's best 14 season stretch 49/50 to 63/64 with Top 10 PPG placings and Top 3 PPG placings in parenthesis:

Howe - 1.15 (14 Top 10s, 9 Top 3s)
Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)

Here are the PPG leaders in Crosby's career (min. 500 games) with Top 10 PPG placings and Top 3 PPG placings in parenthesis::

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

I don't think there is much difference in their respective PPG domination over the next best seven PPGs. What is interesting how many more more Top 10 and Top 3 placings all the players have.

Here is how they rate
O6 vs. Current together by total Top 10s and Top 3s

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)

Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)

Total Top 10s and Top 3s by O6 group - 67 and 37

Total Top 10s and Top 3s by current group - 51 and 28

IMO, there should be no debate that Crosby has been just as dominant PPG-wise as Howe was during his best 14 season stretch.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
@Bear of Bad News

How about we just shut this down? I mean since the usual suspects saw a thread with Crosby in it and just had to bring Ovechkin up even though 8 has no bearing on the discussion here.

We can't even escape the same old bull**** in the HoH section.

Why? Just stop posting if you want to. Clearly with 20 pages of discussion, it's a topic people want to discuss.

So here are the PPG leaders (min. 500 games) in Howe's best 14 season stretch 49/50 to 63/64 with Top 10 PPG placings and Top 3 PPG placings in parenthesis:

Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)

Here are the PPG leaders in Crosby's career (min. 500 games) with Top 10 PPG placings and Top 3 PPG placings in parenthesis::

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

I don't think there is much difference in their respective PPG domination over the next best seven PPGs. What is interesting how many more more Top 10 and Top 3 placings all the players have.

Here is how they rate

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)

Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)

IMO, there should be no debate that Crosby has been just as dominant PPG-wise as Howe was during his best 14 season stretch.

I'm sure you see the issues with this comparison, something I alluded to earlier. You set the bar at "minimum 500 games". Could have easily been minimum 700 games, and then Beliveau isn't included which makes Howe look better. Or minimum 250 games - than McDavid is included and Crosby looks worst.

I'm not saying this comparison has no value or merit - but so long as you are comparing the best player's actual primes/14 year stretches with each other, there's a lot of randmoness affecting the results, as it's random luck how good or not the best player of Crosby and Howe's era match up to their 14 years prime, depending on when they started their careers.

At the heart of it - you should want to compare how Crosby in his first 14 years matches up to Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid etc in their first 14 years. And how Howe matches up to Beliveau, Lindsay, Moore, Geoffrion in each of their first 14 years. And then - compare Crosby to Howe.

Instead - you're comparing Crosby to "some 14 years or less" of Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid. And same with Howe and Beliveau, Lindsay etc.

This offsets the worth of the results.

ps - this is why i hate adjusting stats. There's never been a good way of doing so, that truly takes into consideration all the subtleties needed.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
@Bear of Bad News

We can't even escape the same old bull**** in the HoH section.

Don't ask staff to close threads in public. Am I 100% clear on that? I'm sick of having this same discussion WITH YOU every few months.

Report the thread if it's breaking rules. Otherwise, stop posting in it. Under no circumstances do you tag me while I'm a conference (or at any time). Clear?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Why? Just stop posting if you want to. Clearly with 20 pages of discussion, it's a topic people want to discuss.

It's Howe and Crosby. Not Ovechkin. I'm not the one who started that sidebar nonsense. I only asked for it to stop because, following the rules of the site, would be to stay on point with the OP. My fault was asking in public. Apologies.

Does anyone here actually think Crosby is better than Howe, in any way shape or form?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I'm sure you see the issues with this comparison, something I alluded to earlier. You set the bar at "minimum 500 games". Could have easily been minimum 700 games, and then Beliveau isn't included which makes Howe look better. Or minimum 250 games - than McDavid is included and Crosby looks worst.

I'm not saying this comparison has no value or merit - but so long as you are comparing the best player's actual primes/14 year stretches with each other, there's a lot of randmoness affecting the results, as it's random luck how good or not the best player of Crosby and Howe's era match up to their 14 years prime, depending on when they started their careers.

At the heart of it - you should want to compare how Crosby in his first 14 years matches up to Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid etc in their first 14 years. And how Howe matches up to Beliveau, Lindsay, Moore, Geoffrion in each of their first 14 years. And then - compare Crosby to Howe.

Instead - you're comparing Crosby to "some 14 years or less" of Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid. And same with Howe and Beliveau, Lindsay etc.

This offsets the worth of the results.

ps - this is why i hate adjusting stats. There's never been a good way of doing so, that truly takes into consideration all the subtleties needed.

This is showing that you have a lineup of the 8 best PPG players from two eras with significantly different league sizes. The Top 8 are pretty similar in terms of far each one is %-wise behind the Top scorer, and the Top scorers have almost the exact same PPG finish resumes, yet there is a significant difference in the respective Top 3 and Top 10 finishes. Not surprisingly the O6 players, despite being as far behind Howe and Belliveau as their current counterparts are to Crosby and Malkin in PPG, had clearly more Top 3 and Top 10 finishes. This is not because they were necessarily better but due to playing in a league with five times less players.

It is showing that comparing Top X finishes needs context. It is showing that Crosby, on a per game basis, is closer to Howe than he was to Hull and Beliveau in their respective primes.

As for including or excluding certain players, there is not an agenda behind it. McDavid has put himself right next to Crosby offensively after their first four seasons, in the regular season at least, and Beliveau was right there with Howe once he joined the league til the late 60s. The latter seems to get ignored for some reason as it seemingly brings Howe closer to the 2nd tier of player rather than being on par with the other Big 4.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's Howe and Crosby. Not Ovechkin. I'm not the one who started that sidebar nonsense. I only asked for it to stop because, following the rules of the site, would be to stay on point with the OP. My fault was asking in public. Apologies.

Does anyone here actually think Crosby is better than Howe, in any way shape or form?

Howe has one season that is hard to argue wasn't better than any of Crosby's seasons. We will have to see if Crosby can match Howe's longevity of elite prime and if Crosby ends up being considered the better playoff performer.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Howe has one season that is hard to argue wasn't better than any of Crosby's seasons. We will have to see if Crosby can match Howe's longevity of elite prime and if Crosby ends up being considered the better playoff performer.

I don't think Sid can do anything to catch Howe a regular season player goes. It's impossible, short of him winning 3-4 more Harts, scoring titles, etc from here on out and I, being a massive Crosby fan, would be willing to bet my house and job that doesn't happen. Besides, we should be looking at what players have done. Not what they might do in the future.

As far as postseason, Sid could pass Howe. I think that is much more attainable but as of now, he's still a good ways short.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's the raptor probing the fence for weakness and pretty much everyone knows it. How to get Crosby ahead of Howe? This time ppg is the focus. We've all seen similar threads or attempts to forces lines of discussion in other areas that weakly present Crosby as Howe's peer. I expect to see a thread in 4-6 months probing quality of linemates.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is showing that you have a lineup of the 8 best PPG players from two eras with significantly different league sizes. The Top 8 are pretty similar in terms of far each one is %-wise behind the Top scorer, and the Top scorers have almost the exact same PPG finish resumes, yet there is a significant difference in the respective Top 3 and Top 10 finishes. Not surprisingly the O6 players, despite being as far behind Howe and Belliveau as their current counterparts are to Crosby and Malkin in PPG, had clearly more Top 3 and Top 10 finishes. This is not because they were necessarily better but due to playing in a league with five times less players.

It is showing that comparing Top X finishes needs context. It is showing that Crosby, on a per game basis, is closer to Howe than he was to Hull and Beliveau in their respective primes.

As for including or excluding certain players, there is not an agenda behind it. McDavid has put himself right next to Crosby offensively after their first four seasons, in the regular season at least, and Beliveau was right there with Howe once he joined the league til the late 60s. The latter seems to get ignored for some reason as it seemingly brings Howe closer to the 2nd tier of player rather than being on par with the other Big 4.

I'm not saying there's an agenda.

I agree that counting top ppg finishes across eras benefits older eras. Just like - it's easier to finish top 2 AS teams when you're realistically competing against 3-5 star players, vs 10-12 in today's bigger league.

Bottom line is - you're not comparing Howe's first 14 years to Beliveau's first 14 years. You're comparing Howe's first 14 years to a "random sample of years from Beliveau". Which, skews the results, depending on which set of years from Beliveau's (and all other players being compared) career are picked.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

Here is how they rate

Crosby - 1.29 (13, 10)
Beliveau - 1.15 (10, 6)
Malkin - 1.18 (9, 6)
Geoffrion - 1.01 (8, 5)
Bathgate - 1.01 (8, 5)
M. Richard - 0.96 (9, 4)
Lindsay - 0.86 (8, 4)
Ovechkin - 1.12 (7, 4)

Moore - 0.91 (5, 4)
Kane - 1.04 (5, 2)
Stamkos - 1.03 (5, 2)
St. Louis - 1.01 (4, 2)
Thornton - 1.00 (4, 2)

H. Richard - 0.95 (5, 0)
Datysuk - 1.03 (4, 0)

The fact that you continue to compare the PPG stats of players who only played in the higher scoring late 50s with Gordie Howe - who played through the whole decade - proves something, but not about Gordie Howe.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
See, this is just pretending, and we've been over this before.

In reality Ovechkin is a physical dominator and a great playmaker. He's 11th in assists since the lockout. 4th in hits.

11th in assists since the lockout you say?

Funny that Crosby must be an elite goal scorer then since he is way higher than 11th in goals since the lockout right?

I'm on my phone but pretty sure he is 2nd or 3rd.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
11th in assists since the lockout you say?

Funny that Crosby must be an elite goal scorer then since he is way higher than 11th in goals since the lockout right?

I'm on my phone but pretty sure he is 2nd or 3rd.

He is second. And who said Crosby isn't an elite goal scorer? He's had a 50 goal season, he's lead the league twice, and he's second over a long period of time. How on Earth could that be considered not elite?

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
T
Can you stop harping on about that ridiculous once in fourteen years, it's an absolutely nonsensical argument that doesn't prove anything about Ovechkin. Here's a direct comparison to Maurice Richard over the same time period as Ovechkin:

Maurice Richard, age-25 to 33 seasons, 46-47 through 54-55:
Playoffs: 67 Games, 32 Goals, 14 Assists, 46 Points
Missed playoffs 1 year, suspended for playoffs 1 year, lost 1st round twice, lost 2nd round 4 times, 1 Stanley Cup

Alex Ovechkin, age-25 to 33 seasons, 10-11 through 18-19:
Playoffs: 100 Games, 45 Goals, 41 Assists, 86 Points
Missed playoffs 1 year, lost 1st round twice, lost 2nd round 5 times, 1 Stanley Cup

This is me cherry-picking, but this is a nine season sample of both Richard and Ovechkin's results. The year Maurice Richard was suspended, Montreal lost in the 2nd round, so you're basically looking at the exact same playoff results for both players. Another fun fact is that during this time period, Montreal played 3 teams with a positive goal differential and 5 teams with a negative goal differential in the first round, compared to Washington's 8 teams with a positive goal differential. In the second round, Montreal played 5 teams with a positive goal differential, and 1 team with a negative goal differential, and beat only the team with the negative goal differential (their 52-53 Cup was achieved as a +7 team by beating a -6 Chicago team and a -20 Boston team, compared to Washington's 17-18 Cup as a +18 team beating +10 Columbus, +22 Pittsburgh, +46 Tampa, and +43 Vegas). So not only did Ovechkin have to play better teams, he also performed better - 0.86 PPG versus 0.68. [Also, if you remove the games played by Ovechkin after the 2nd round, and add the games Richard missed while suspended, you get 88 to 79, which means that Ovechkin played roughly 1 game more each playoff year, and not the 33 game gap raw numbers would indicate.]

Here's another cherry-picked age sample:
Sidney Crosby age-22 through 27 seasons, 09-10 through 14-15:
Playoffs: 51 Games, 19 Goals, 36 Assists, 55 Points, -3
Missed 1 playoffs due to injury, lost in 1st round twice, lost in 2nd round twice, lost in 3rd round once.

To compensate for the playoffs missed due to injury, I'll cut off Ovechkin's age-27 season to compare 5 playoff runs to 5 playoff runs.

Alex Ovechkin age-22 through 26 seasons, 07-08 through 11-12:
Playoffs: 51 Games, 30 Goals, 29 Assists, 59 Points, +11
Lost in 1st round twice, lost in 2nd round three times

The point I'm trying to make is that you can cherry-pick player results to show that both Crosby and Richard have nearly the exact same team results as Ovechkin over a significant time period, and there's an easy argument that Ovechkin had the better individual results compared to both players. How much does your Ovechkin narrative change if the 15-16 and 16-17 Pens/Caps series were in the Conference Final or the Stanley Cup Final, instead of the 2nd round? They only met then due to the NHL playoff bracketing, not due to team quality. The 08-09 and 17-18 series were a bit different, because they weren't #1 vs #2, but those two series could easily have been later in the playoffs as well given different seedings/results.

If you want to engage in dumb hypotheticals, why not switch the results of all 4 Pittsburgh-Washington series, so that the Capitals win 3 and Penguins win 1 (with further results remaining the same), and figure out what the narrative would be in that case, with Washington having 3 Cups, and Pittsburgh just 1 Cup and another Finals loss. I mean, it isn't like there's much difference between the teams when you sum up all the series as a whole - Pittsburgh won 14 games, Washington won 12, Pittsburgh scored 77 goals, Washington scored 74. Crosby was 13+17=30 in 25 games, +5, compared to Ovechkin's 15+18=33 in 26 games, +6. That's why I hate trying to construct any sort of narrative about playoff performance, because the sample sizes are so small. The 18-19 Lightning, the 09-10 Capitals, and the 05-06 Red Wings are the three teams with the highest point totals since the lockout, and all three teams had a bad week, and lost in the 1st round.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by dominance - the Caps have 3 President's Trophies and 1 Cup, the Penguins have 3 Cups and 0 President's Trophies. In an EPL-esque NHL, where the winner of the regular season is the league champion (or even if the two Conference winners play for a championship akin to pre-Expansion MLB), the Capitals would have 3 to the Penguins 0, despite the Penguins having 2 of the top 5 post-lockout players for 13 of the 14 years. What sort of narrative and pressure would be on Crosby and Malkin, 13/14 years into their career and they've only managed to finish 1st in their conference once, finishing 2nd 6 times, let alone the entire league where they've only finished 2nd twice, compared to the dominant Capitals team that has finished 1st in the conference 4 times, and won the league 3 times and finished 2nd once.

But look, I'm not really disagreeing with your points, or saying that your arguments aren't valid. I'm just asking you to consider different narratives, some more plausible than others, that don't involve much change in results, and how those would affect your opinions about a player.

I did have a thought while typing this, though it doesn't really apply to any of your points, but it would be interesting to get a poll series going on the main forum listing all of the teammates of Crosby and Ovechkin, and getting them ranked by just their performance as teammates, and see how that vote would end up - how many Pens/Caps would end up in the top 5/10/25/50. Malkin, Backstrom, Letang, Holtby would probably be the top 4, but further results could finally put to bed the better teammates line that gets thrown around a bunch by partisans.

That's a spectacular example of posting through a violent episode of colonic autoexpulsion.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Uh...for being engaged physically what would you suggest is better?

He was a physical dominator in the past and sure as he's aged he's slowed down a little on that and maybe doesn't quite have the humongous hits anymore.

But he's still right around his average in hits for his career (per hockey reference).

Here are some big hits OV had in the World Championships this past year

This huge Alex Ovechkin hit sent Brady Skjei upside down into Russia’s bench

Hits as calculated reflect initiating contacting. They do not reflect being engaged physically by taking hits in front of the net while creating space and/or screens, rolling with a check to make a play like a pass or clearing the puck,etc.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I'm not saying there's an agenda.

I agree that counting top ppg finishes across eras benefits older eras. Just like - it's easier to finish top 2 AS teams when you're realistically competing against 3-5 star players, vs 10-12 in today's bigger league.

Bottom line is - you're not comparing Howe's first 14 years to Beliveau's first 14 years. You're comparing Howe's first 14 years to a "random sample of years from Beliveau". Which, skews the results, depending on which set of years from Beliveau's (and all other players being compared) career are picked.

Papering the issue with false ratios. Howe competed for RW AST honours against the likes of Maurice Richard, Bernie Geoffrion, Andy Bathgate, like Howe, future HHOFers.

Today do you have four such future HHOFers playing RW? Please name them. Repeat for C, LW, D-men.

There goes the ratio position.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
So here are the PPG leaders (min. 500 games) in Howe's best 14 season

One big issue with my/this model is this:
561963-64NHL2102.780.573.6415.6984.3132.830.0.9162.75
571962-63NHL2102.9731.828.9.9082.93
581961-62NHL2103.0131.628.7.9062.98
591960-61NHL2103.0032.229.2.9082.96
601959-60NHL2102.9531.628.7.9082.92
RkSeasonLgGPGPPPPOPP%PK%SASVSV%GAA
611958-59NHL2102.9030.327.4.9052.87
621957-58NHL2102.8030.427.6.9092.78
631956-57NHL2102.6929.827.1.9112.65
641955-56NHL2102.5330.828.3.9192.49
651954-55NHL2102.522.52
661953-54NHL2102.402.37
671952-53NHL2102.402.37
681951-52NHL2102.602.56
691950-51NHL2102.712.70
701949-50NHL2102.732.73
711948-49NHL1802.722.72
721947-48NHL1802.932.93
731946-47NHL1803.163.16
741945-46NHL1503.343.34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Howe peak is in a much lower scoring era from that time frame, certain player have an higher % of games in an higher scoring era than Howe (Beliveau really start in 54-55 for example has it goes up).

There is so little players that player those 14 season to make a comparison with Howe that it is hard to judge him, being able to play so much game in that era put him in an elite category of is own by itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad