Fire Treliving

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Random selection of 20 years (21 seasons), between 1993 and 2013
1st overall: 13 Haven't won the cup, 8 won it
2nd overall: 13 haven't won the cup, 8 won it
3rd overall: 15 haven't won the cup, 6 won it.

I know this was suppose to prove a point, but man, if you gave me a 40% chance at winning a cup over a 10-15 year span after selecting top 3 overall... I take that every day.

Hell, included in those picks in that era are guys like Jumbo and the Sedin Twins; guys who never won, but also had their franchises competing at a high level for a decade.

Dunno, still seems like the easiest way to build a contender in this league is drafting early and often. Even if it doesn't amount to cups (because Hockey is the most random sport), it amounts to having the talent to consistently being a very good team. We can point to teams like Columbus, Arizona, Florida, Edmonton and Buffalo as being the poster-boy of not tanking, but you're also pointing at some of the worst run franchises in sports over those eras.

Honestly, if you took what Flames GMs have been able to do in terms of building depth cores, then added a top tier caliber player on top of them... I think we'd all have a lot less gray hair and pessimistic view on this team than we do.

Reactions: Keneeyo Fato Boiyo

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I know this was suppose to prove a point, but man, if you gave me a 40% chance at winning a cup over a 10-15 year span after selecting top 3 overall... I take that every day.

Hell, included in those picks in that era are guys like Jumbo and the Sedin Twins; guys who never won, but also had their franchises competing at a high level for a decade.

Dunno, still seems like the easiest way to build a contender in this league is drafting early and often. Even if it doesn't amount to cups (because Hockey is the most random sport), it amounts to having the talent to consistently being a very good team. We can point to teams like Columbus, Arizona, Florida, Edmonton and Buffalo as being the poster-boy of not tanking, but you're also pointing at some of the worst run franchises in sports over those eras.

Honestly, if you took what Flames GMs have been able to do in terms of building depth cores, then added a top tier caliber player on top of them... I think we'd all have a lot less gray hair and pessimistic view on this team than we do.
I agree with all of this. You have to be well-run, and get some high picks, or else really hit home runs late in the draft. The flames almost did both with Bennett, Monahan, Tkachuk (the Matthews lottery miss)...and Gaudreau in round 4. If you're in the position Brad is in right now, you have to load up though, I think.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree with all of this. You have to be well-run, and get some high picks, or else really hit home runs late in the draft. The flames almost did both with Bennett, Monahan, Tkachuk (the Matthews lottery miss)...and Gaudreau in round 4. If you're in the position Brad is in right now, you have to load up though, I think.

I think he's sort of backed himself into a corner for this season, and the only thing he can really do to get ahead is spending some assets to try and make this team a short term competitor at this stage.

It'd be different if we did the rumoured Devils deal and picked 2OA, where we'd have Wright in our group, and we could start the rebuild off properly; but we went and got a top pairing D and one of the best LW's in the entire NHL; both on short term contracts.

I mean, imagine if Calgary:
I) Tanked properly in 2013 after it was clear they were garbage.
II) Didn't give up on Bennett once they were married to the idea of Monahan.
III) Didn't PDO their way into a playoff spot in 2015.

You add any of the top guys from 2013 and 2015 onto this club, with the found money of Gaudreau, Giordano, et al.... This team is very good at finding some value in later rounds and as walk-ons; they lack the gamebreakers.

Reactions: Fig

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think he's sort of backed himself into a corner for this season, and the only thing he can really do to get ahead is spending some assets to try and make this team a short term competitor at this stage.

It'd be different if we did the rumoured Devils deal and picked 2OA, where we'd have Wright in our group, and we could start the rebuild off properly; but we went and got a top pairing D and one of the best LW's in the entire NHL; both on short term contracts.

You add any of the top guys from 2013 and 2015 onto this club, with the found money of Gaudreau, Giordano, et al.... This team is very good at finding some value in later rounds and as walk-ons; they lack the gamebreakers.
They can't spend assets to try and rebalance the depth to make the team a competitor (short term or not) if they do not get Huberdeau, Mangiapane and Weegar to sign longer term extensions. I was ok last season with the idea of "renting" Gaudreau for the playoffs but I do not think they can risk letting Huberdeau/Mangiapane/Weegar walk away for free next offseason and when it comes to Mangiapane specifically if he is on a 1 year arbitration contract they need to sell high and unload him before the season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Could've been as simple as having ROR, instead of Backlund in 2019. It very well could've been enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad