Fire Treliving

Sep 13, 2009
He's been our GM for six seasons now.
  • Has gone through multiple head coaches.
  • Has a poor drafting record.
  • Has a terrible track record in signing unrestricted free agents.
  • Has a new goaltending tandem every couple seasons.
  • Is coming off one of the worst off-seasons in franchise history.
How did this man get a contract extension? He deserves to be fired.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
He concentrated on the defence at the expense of forward depth and depth of draft picks. Tried to fast track the rebuild. The Treliving apologists will point to a few contracts and the Carolina trade but at the end of the day he has shown himself to be a poor cap manager and filled the team up with expensive 3rd/4th liners. Today's NHL is predicated on speed/skill up front which we severely lack.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Unfortunately they still point to the fact that he is our best GM in the last 3 decades which is probably true

Sad to be a flames fan

Reactions: 1989 and viper0220

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is legitimate complaints about Tre, but his drafting record isn't really part of that. Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Tkchuk, Dube, Mangi. Phillips and Zav look promising as top end guys, Pospisil looks good as a potential 4th liner. Drafting has drastically improved under him.
Kind of average...if you look at the system as a whole there is zero depth to speak of... that's why guys like jank are so comfortable

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
They couldn't fire Hartley after he dragged that team to the playoffs that season. Otherwise he would have been gone much sooner, and likely the Flames would have had Bill Peters sooner as well (and no Glen Gulutzan)

You'll need to justify this.

Yes.

David Rittich is looking fairly good. Not elite, but pretty good.

This off-season doesn't even come close. Or did you forget this organization existed prior to 2002?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yup aside from the Brouwer and Neal contracts and then the Neal-Lucic swap I think he’s done a lot more good than bad

Even the Neal-Lucic swap saved us 750k needed to sign Tkachuk. I think they’d both be useless players in Calgary but it definitely bothers me that Mcdavid is shooting pucks off Neal on the Oilers PP

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Didn't Doug Risebrough trade Dougie Gilmour for a kitchen set or something

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Kind of average...if you look at the system as a whole there is zero depth to speak of... that's why guys like jank are so comfortable

When you look at how many picks we've actually had in recent years it's pretty decent. If you want to blame him for throwing picks around that's another problem I'd say he's been guilty of.

I was okay when it was Dougie. Less so for Hamonic. Bleah on Elliot and Smith for as much as we sent. Gross as f*** on Lazar, pretty gross on Fanta, etc.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
As @Fig has brought up on numerous occassions, Treliving has put an immense effort in restructuring our farm system for the better. Besides Ferland, Brodie, and Backlund things were looking real grim there.

I still think we have a ways to go in our development of forwards that graduate from Stockton but it's been a world of a difference

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He's arguably the best GM in the league at re-signing RFA's.

I take him over a lot of GM's in the league, he has his faults (has a bit too much of Burke and truculence in him which has lead to Lucic, Hamonic, Bollig, etc. trades) and he doesn't use his shrewdness in the UFA market as he does when signing our RFA's. I get he can't be as shrewd in UFA 'cause guys just won't sign, but so be it UFA's almost never work out IMO.

And his drafting is anything but poor.

Since his time as full GM, our 4 1st round picks have turned into Tkachuk, Valimaki, Lindholm & Hanifin and Pelletier. Tkachuk is the heart of the Flames, Valimaki has IMO top 2 potential, Lindholm and Hanifin were had for Hamilton which was our '15 first, 1 is a bonafide top line player and the other is showing he deserves to be on the top pairing this year. Pelletier is one of the best players in the Q and has a good amount of upside. Kylington and Andersson are both on our roster and were drafted under Tre.

As for goaltending, he seemingly has solved the problem as Rittich is one of the only bright spots this year. He tried to sign Bishop years ago and Bishop wouldn't sign, not Tre's fault.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

This is not true.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

- Hartley wasn't his guy. Gully was, and Tre had the balls to turf him after 2 seasons when things weren't working great and he had a guy he really wanted available. From certain rumors, it seems like ownership does not want to spend money on a coach. Dude's hands are tied.
- How do you justify the poor drafting? If Bennett is your only example, that's more on the development than drafting.
- Don't disagree on UFA. But we can't have everything. At least his weakness is UFA and not other aspects.
- OK, sure on the goalie thing. But it's not like he wasn't in the mix for guys like Andersen, Murray, Bishop x 2, Fleury etc. and those are just the ones we've heard rumors of. I bet he's been asking about a ton of other guys as well. The price just never made sense to him. Though we likely don't find Rittich if we had been top price in ponying up enough for someone who is a legit starter.
- Worst off season? Lucic contract really sucks, but for a Neal swap, it's not remotely close to trading a star player away for a bag of pucks and hockey tape.

He concentrated on the defence at the expense of forward depth and depth of draft picks. Tried to fast track the rebuild. The Treliving apologists will point to a few contracts and the Carolina trade but at the end of the day he has shown himself to be a poor cap manager and filled the team up with expensive 3rd/4th liners. Today's NHL is predicated on speed/skill up front which we severely lack.

Tried to fast track the rebuild? Dude showed up for the 2015 season and the mandate from ownership was playoffs rather than tank for for McDavid. High picks for Dougie still made sense as a rebuild move.

Seriously, look at the 2015 roster list. You can complain about some expensive 3rd and 4th liners right now, but a few seasons ago, those 3rd and 4th liners were in our top 6 and we had no expectation of a steady line of talent on the farm to draw from. Treliving has addressed the methodology of drafting from the 2014 draft which was bad and everything since 2015 has been solid AF. The only perhaps problem is that he's been trading away a ton of picks since then rather than giving Button more runway to work with.

Treliving has also worked ridiculously tirelessly with little to no fanfare to fix the farm system ranging from fixing the stupid travel (Abbotsford had a horrific travel schedule that made them constantly go back and forth across the continent), location (Abbotsford, Adirondack then Stockton) and alignment issue with the team (farm in Adirondack which is harder to monitor and recall than somewhere like Cali/Abbotsford). Ultimately he still identified it as an issue and went in to repair it even though it's not a sexy GM move.

He's also significantly revamped training of prospects by retooling development camp as a time for prospects to develop vs fight to impress. This is a better longer term solution and it educates the young guys in things like nutrition, health (mental and other wise), social media, substance abuse, proper work outs etc.

I'm not going to herald Treliving as a dude who deserves a life sized statue in front of our arena. But anyone thinking we're in bad hands and worse off with him at the helm must really have a bad memory. Dude is easily above average overall for his body of work as a GM and there's a ton of under the hood tweaks he has done that the organization will benefit from for a long, long time. If you hate him that much, see how hard it is to select 10 options that are hands down superior to him of current GM. Even 5 current GM and 5 up and coming AGM isn't an easy feat.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The problem with firing him is that whomever he is replaced with will be a ownsership sockpuppet, just like every new GM we have ever had. Whoever we replace him with will likely be less effective as well.

The good thing also is that he pushes back against ownership. The dude actually operates relatively independently with some of the restrictions he has to adhere to.

Otherwise, if ownership had their way, we'd probably be worried about a Benning or Dorion situation IMO.

Reactions: Mobiandi

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Trevling's accomplishment means shit if the team is no better off in the standing when he found it... basically he is not moving the needle even with all the 'good work'

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's the best GM the've had since the 80s, excepting Darryl's brilliant acquisitions of Kipper, Nilson , Niemenen, Loyns etc..
He's doing a good job. Stay the course for a while. He knows better now after evaluating the team for 2 months.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Trevling's accomplishment means **** if the team is no better off in the standing when he found it... basically he is not moving the needle even with all the 'good work'

Wrong.

Treliving inherited what Minnesota is now after Fenton obliterated it plus ownership meddling. The dude literally demanded more autonomy during his last extension. Calgary has excellent assets with high value and decent futures reserves to work with. Lots of cap expiring after this season. Many GMs would love to inherit what is currently in place right now.

I'm so freaking glad that I haven't heard Ken King's name regularly in some time now.

He's the best GM the've had since the 80s, excepting Darryl's brilliant acquisitions of Kipper, Nilson , Niemenen, Loyns etc..
He's doing a good job. Stay the course for a while. He knows better now after evaluating the team for 2 months.

I still think that Darryl knew exactly how to use the roster he put together. His coaches were all idiots who didn't use the rosters correctly. I think the rosters go past the first round every time if he continued to dual GM/coach (he didn't want that) or went full time coaching and had significant input on roster decisions at a GM level. But that's a different musing best done over drinks some other day...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wrong.

Treliving inherited what Minnesota is now after Fenton obliterated it plus ownership meddling. The dude literally demanded more autonomy during his last extension. Calgary has excellent assets with high value and decent futures reserves to work with. Lots of cap expiring after this season. Many GMs would love to inherit what is currently in place right now.

I'm so freaking glad that I haven't heard Ken King's name regularly in some time now.

I still think that Darryl knew exactly how to use the roster he put together. His coaches were all idiots who didn't use the rosters correctly. I think the rosters go past the first round every time if he continued to dual GM/coach (he didn't want that) or went full time coaching and had significant input on roster decisions at a GM level. But that's a different musing best done over drinks some other day...
Yeah Darryl was a great hockey coach who knew exactly who he wanted on the team to get it done...for a brief period in history. Then he got delusional. he also proudly drafted Chucko, I know that was all Darryl, I know it.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Sutter's Flames teams were like the inferior versions of his Cup winning Kings teams. He just had more scoring in LA. It was like he was anti-scoring in Calgary. I remember when Cammalleri scored 40 that one year and it was like finally we have someone else who can score other than Iginla, and then Sutter let him walk and brought in Boumeester lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->