Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett, trade Bear

Who were you most disappointed with in this series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was reading on twitter a statistical package that took each games analytics for both teams, ran each game 50o times and predicted who would win each game. Game 2 had us at just over 50% but games 1, 3 and 4 had us over 70%. When you combine all 4 games together it had Winnipeg sweeping at under 5%. Games 1, 3 and 4 we were leading going into the third and game 2 we were tied going into the third. This was probably the weirdest sweep in NHL history with a high probability that we could have swept them as well if we got 1 bounce in each game.

Yeah I don't get how people don't get this. I'm not saying we should have won, we didn't score when we should have (3 OTs), and imploded when we shouldn't have (3rd period of games 3 and 4). So no we shouldn't have swept the series or anything crazy like that. But the Oilers getting swept was some next level, lottery ball bouncing, craziness given how the majority of the games played out. We had better puck possession (by a lot), and more high danger chances (by a lot). We lost the goalie dual, and Helly didn't allow a single "bad goal", and Smith let in probably 2-3 of them. This series should have been 2-2, at absolute worse, after 4 games.

I'm not saying the team doesn't have problems, it most certainly does. There is ZERO chance of this team, as currently built, being a legit cup contender. But they weren't nearly as bad as you would think by looking at the 4-0 series result, or by reading the average HF poster reaction to the series. Get this team 2 legit middle 6 players and they are a team that can do some damage.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Jets had the highest rate of blocked shots as any team in the playoffs. So it doesn't matter how many OT's

It wasn't just that the Oiler were coming cold on deflections, it was that Hellbuck was stopping deflected shots he didn't even see, and somehow made those stops. I mean the Oilers were good at deflecting pucks on target. They only got the Khaira goal for all their trouble. That was the ONLY ONE instance of puck luck we had in 4 games despite dominating the play. (the shot attempts demonstrate this domination) The Oilers had an average of 14 more shot attempts than the Jets.

Yeah, it sounds like posters making excuses, but it really isn't. I'm one of the most vocal people on here and am generally considered to be a "pessimistic fan" by literally every person who interacts with me, lol. I wouldn't disagree with that assessment of myself either. I certainly do not see the silver lining in my sports teams, I'm just not wired that way. But even *I* can see how bad of a deal the Oilers got in this series, and how they deserved better given how the play actually went down.

It doesn't matter, as it is water under the bridge, but there is a narrative being spun by lots of fans and media that I just don't think is correct at all. I'm doubting the media people acting like idiots watched the games to be honest, but that isn't new, as the average HF poster knows more about their local team than a media guy from across the country does.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Speaking of firing coaches, can anyone tell me why Dustin Schwartz is still being given the opportunity to continue to ruin every goalie we acquire?

Not to mention, he's 5 foot 11 with abysmal junior stats and never played an NHL game. How could he understand a) How a bigger goalie can most effectively stop pucks b) What it takes to be mentally prepared and to stay focused at a high level?

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Speaking of firing coaches, can anyone tell me why Dustin Schwartz is still being given the opportunity to continue to ruin every goalie we acquire?

Not to mention, he's 5 foot 11 with abysmal junior stats and never played an NHL game. How could he understand a) How a bigger goalie can most effectively stop pucks b) What it takes to be mentally prepared and to stay focused at a high level?
I remember shooting this idea at Gregor a few months ago and he was very quick to defend him. If the media defends him that means he isn't going anywhere.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah I don't get how people don't get this. I'm not saying we should have won, we didn't score when we should have (3 OTs), and imploded when we shouldn't have (3rd period of games 3 and 4). So no we shouldn't have swept the series or anything crazy like that. But the Oilers getting swept was some next level, lottery ball bouncing, craziness given how the majority of the games played out. We had better puck possession (by a lot), and more high danger chances (by a lot). We lost the goalie dual, and Helly didn't allow a single "bad goal", and Smith let in probably 2-3 of them. This series should have been 2-2, at absolute worse, after 4 games.

I'm not saying the team doesn't have problems, it most certainly does. There is ZERO chance of this team, as currently built, being a legit cup contender. But they weren't nearly as bad as you would think by looking at the 4-0 series result, or by reading the average HF poster reaction to the series. Get this team 2 legit middle 6 players and they are a team that can do some damage.
Disagree. Smitty let in maybe 1 he’d like to have back, but without him the Jets score at least 5-6 more easily.
And we’re definitely more than a couple players away.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I remember shooting this idea at Gregor a few months ago and he was very quick to defend him. If the media defends him that means he isn't going anywhere.

Sad stuff. I guess he's invincible like the OBC was for so many years.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Sad stuff. I guess he's invincible like the OBC was for so many years.

Every goalie except for Smith this season has litterally regressed with him as there goalie coach

Look at talbot this year for example he playing great and might just steal a series win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille