Fire Tippett now? - One, two, three, they gonna run back to me...

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Fortunately you nor anyone else here can fire him.

Then we'll just continue to lose, because he is inarguably one of the most ineffective coaches in the league, and has inarguably led us to the worst 5 year record over a 5 year period, by a single coach in NHL history, statistically speaking.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Then we'll just continue to lose, because he is inarguably one of the most ineffective coaches in the league, and has inarguably led us to the worst 5 year record over a 5 year period, by a single coach in NHL history, statistically speaking.

To be fair on him, I don't think Dave Tippett is a bad coach. Every coach has their strengths and weaknesses. Tipp's strength is making a bubble team that's not so great on paper competitive. I don't really know what he'd be able to do with a team that's "good on paper" i.e. whether they'd underperform or overperform under him (if he's ever coached one it was in the mid/late 2000's where I wasn't paying much attention to hockey). His weakness, as it seems to be, is nurturing young talent on an uncompetitive team. In conclusion, I don't find him to be the right fit for this franchise at this time. That's why I want to see him go, preferably as a resignation instead of a dismissal.

For example, I think St. Louis could be a good fit for him. He could potentially push them past the early round exit bubble they've been in despite the talent, a fresh face at the helm could be good for them, and a change of scenery could be good for him.

Edit: that said, criticizing Dave Tippett for not doing well with a rebuilding team is like criticizing Boyd Gordon for not scoring enough or criticizing Oliver Ekman-Larsson for not getting into enough fights. That's not what they're for.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So, if you get 10% of the angry Coyote fans who post on this board to picket, you'll get perhaps 2 people carrying signs. Maybe 1.4 people.

If you factor in "do they have transportation" into the equation, no one would be there.

Ask not what Tippett has done for your team. Ask what your team has done for Tippett.

Correct, and that could be said for many coaches in the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
True, he could get fed up and quit, but I wouldn't count on it. In the last few years the complaint was that Tip didn't give young guys an opportunity. This year, being the first year he has total control of the roster, he has played more rookies than anyone could have expected. Now the argument is that the young guys don't get enough minutes or XXXX player should be on the top line or play with XXXXX player. It seems like the "we hate tip group" expects that all the young guys should be on the top lines and play 20 minute+ a game because of their "potential".

If Tip played players based on "potential", we would be way worse as a team and it would hurt development. Young players would be overwhelmed and it would likely hurt their development. Both of these outcomes are not desired. If we are to have a better team next year, the process starts now by trying to win every game and improve as a team and as a player. Team and player development is not a switch you can turn on at the start of a season, meaning that mailing it in the rest of the way will hurt the players individually and the team moving forward. This is a daily process to improve.

Trying to micro manage any coach and his decisions is pointless. Any coach is making decisions on line match ups TOI, PK, PP based on lots of practice, video, and years of coaching experience. The die has been cast to our head coach, and as I have reiterated, our problem is NHL level talent, not coaching.

Good post.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not a huge tippett guy myself, but to everyone who rips tippett out there, if you listened to the post-game comments he made about the rookies, it seems there are positives that you can take away there. he just praised Crouse as becoming a regular player and mentioned starting to play the rookies more. I mean obviously we are all impatient, but don't you guys think it is better to shelter the rookies a bit more in the first half of the season and play them more and more increasingly instead of just throwing in to the fire at game 1? Maybe tipp had a plan? He trusts crouse more and Perlini is starting to become a regular and maybe it will continue to increase (rookie playing time, i mean) as we get near the very end of this lost season.

The dump and chase though? I agree that it needs to go.

This dump and chase thing is a big myth. Someone else mentioned this awhile back, so I watched the next two games and skating the puck in far exceeded the dump and chase. That doesn't mean that will happen every game, because it depends how teams play us and how the play develops. This is where the IQ and talent of the player comes in play. The dump and chase will never go away....ever.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sounds like the "talent" better get the damn puck the hell out of their own zone then. You do know that DT and the staff are not on the ice during the games? ;)

Seriously, there is not magic, or secret coaching formula that plays to the strengths of our group that can overcome basic execution.... or lack thereof.

How dare you mention execution. Your sounding like DT.:laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This dump and chase thing is a big myth. Someone else mentioned this awhile back, so I watched the next two games and skating the puck in far exceeded the dump and chase. That doesn't mean that will happen every game, because it depends how teams play us and how the play develops. This is where the IQ and talent of the player comes in play. The dump and chase will never go away....ever.

Agreed. The plan isn't to dump and chase. This is situational awareness, talent level, and execution. It actually starts in our own end. Once we have the puck, if we can exit the zone quickly with 2 quick passes, we have a better chance of carrying the puck into the O zone. Exits have been better lately, we'll see if it continues.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
All of you homer Tippett fans I have a question for you and please take it seriously.

Do you actually enjoy Tippett "STYLE" hockey? And please don't tell me that he employs the same system as every other coach in the NHL. They all have different systems, much like the NFL or the NBA.

I think the style of hockey we play isn't conducive to building a lasting fan base...people enjoy watching "exciting" hockey.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Quote of the year. A big myth? Please! Such a failed played has existed in the history of hockey.

Sure, it exists, but clearly is not a "failed play". Additionally, doesn't every team do it to varying degrees? Do the Coyotes rely on it more than others, and is it a key contributor to their dismal record? So many questions, and it's only 8 A.M.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
All of you homer Tippett fans I have a question for you and please take it seriously.

Do you actually enjoy Tippett "STYLE" hockey? And please don't tell me that he employs the same system as every other coach in the NHL. They all have different systems, much like the NFL or the NBA.

I think the style of hockey we play isn't conducive to building a lasting fan base...people enjoy watching "exciting" hockey.

I enjoy watching the Coyotes, and eagerly look forward to every game. Seriously...haven't missed one all season.

Maybe I'm weird (I do find the NFL boring). :amazed:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sure, it exists, but clearly is not a "failed play". Additionally, doesn't every team do it to varying degrees? Do the Coyotes rely on it more than others, and is it a key contributor to their dismal record? So many questions, and it's only 8 A.M.

The dump and chase is only truly effective if the team doing it has a strong forecheck that can regain possession once the puck is deep. Otherwise, it is a concession to a lack of skill and/or effort and its success rate is exceedingly low (basically, you just have to hope the defense makes a mistake that results in a turnover, or else you're just chasing the puck like a pack of hobbled hyenas).

And yes, I think the Coyotes rely on it more than most teams because we are an AWFUL puck possession team. The latter point contributes more to the dismal record than dumping and chasing, though.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I enjoy watching the Coyotes, and eagerly look forward to every game. Seriously...haven't missed one all season.

I meant, given a choice between a more offensive, wide open style play system vs Tippett's system, what would you rather watch?

Let's face it Hockey is way better than the other sports to watch...I'm just saying if you had a choice to watch a more offensive open system or Tippett hockey, I think most would favor a more open style of play.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016

Same here. I do understand the frustration with the more nuanced (Craig Morgan quote) fans though.
The attendance has been a joke and for fans implying that they send a message to the organization by not showing up..that may work in a market that supports the sport in their city, but I doubt that it affects these guys (owners)
They probably scoff. We want them in our city and they sure don't need what few of us there are.
The Rattlers outdraw us. Athletes who try out for that joke arena football league, from off the street.
Ive never had more fun in my life as attending Coyotes games. As frustrating as they are.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I meant, given a choice between a more offensive, wide open style play system vs Tippett's system, what would you rather watch?

Let's face it Hockey is way better than the other sports to watch...I'm just saying if you had a choice to watch a more offensive open system or Tippett hockey, I think most would favor a more open style of play.

Sure, but I'm not really in the position to say that it's Tippett's system, or a result of the players we have. We have some skilled players that make exciting plays (Perlini, Domi, Rieder, etc), but some teams have 2 lines that consistently do it every game.

Had we drafted McDavid or Matthews would the offense be more fun to watch? uh huh. Would attendance be up? probably.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Leblanc and company were a bit naive when they came on board
Way back in history when Leblanc got out in front and did radio interviews, he told 98.7 that he wanted fans to enjoy the tailgating experience...
It lasted less than a season.
It started out by hiring these bands that were incredible musicians.
One band had this lead guitar player who played Hendrix's "Eazy Rider" note for note.
I had never seen some garage band play that kind of play list..
Incredible and the only two people there were me and this lady.
At the end of an incredible version of Eazy Rider the guy stopped, looked out at us as we clapped and laughed and said ...sarcastically...thanks.
They at first had the cooks from the arena come out and grill burgers, then they rolled them back in and the gut trucks came along, then they quit coming.
Then they ended the tailgates.
Leblanc told Burns and Gabo that he expected 14 sell outs
He got one
Then came back on the show later and said "Admittedly he was a little surprised at the lack of support" he expected when he asked for it.
Now, its radio silence.
And I don't want to see him pop on us suddenly that he's not satisfied with the support and decide he wants to move.
When you don't know what the power that be are doing, you'd better start to worry.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Way back in history when Leblanc got out in front and did radio interviews, he told 98.7 that he wanted fans to enjoy the tailgating experience...
One band had this lead guitar player who played Hendrix's "Eazy Rider" note for note.
At the end of an incredible version of Eazy Rider the guy stopped, looked out at us as we clapped and laughed and said ...sarcastically...thanks.
They at first had the cooks from the arena come out and grill burgers, then they rolled them back in and the gut trucks came along, then they quit coming.
He got one
Then came back on the show later and said "Admittedly he was a little surprised at the lack of support" he expected when he asked for it.
Now, its radio silence.
And I don't want to see him pop on us suddenly that he's not satisfied with the support and decide he wants to move.
When you don't know what the power that be are doing, you'd better start to worry.

Tailgating is a local culture thing that takes hold when the fans want it to. Tailgating shouldn't require ownership do anything other than open the parking lot.

In KC fans tailgate before everything! MLB, NFL, minor league unaffiliated baseball, MLS, it doesn't matter.

I give them credit for trying, but need to try longer, not harder.

Hopefully it works at the new stadium, cuz it's a lot of fun and breeds fan loyalty.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He got one
Now, its radio silence.

Unfortunately around here the only thing that will work is wins. I tailgated a few times, there was a fair amount of folks around, many of whom did not check out the bands, or "for sale" sale burgers. I personally couldn't care less about tailgating, but it was a chance for my son and myself to spend even more time together. And for the Paw Patrol Girls to come around and see how awesome he was.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Same here. I do understand the frustration with the more nuanced (Craig Morgan quote) fans though.
The attendance has been a joke and for fans implying that they send a message to the organization by not showing up..that may work in a market that supports the sport in their city, but I doubt that it affects these guys (owners)
They probably scoff. We want them in our city and they sure don't need what few of us there are.
The Rattlers outdraw us. Athletes who try out for that joke arena football league, from off the street.
Ive never had more fun in my life as attending Coyotes games. As frustrating as they are.

Again.... yep, it just doesn't get any better.

Greatest game on earth and this community won't support it. [mod] :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

I favor winning above all else. I don't care how that's accomplished. They used to say that the Dallas Stars were boring back when they won the Cup. I used to travel five hours each way to go see them, as they were my closest "local" team and therefore the team I supported. Often times I would not even stay overnight in Dallas, but made a roughly 15 hour event of it, only to sleep two hours and go to work.

I can tell you it was everything BUT boring.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

No flow to the NFL. I go to all the Cardinal games too, but it gets real annoying during constant commercial breaks. You can break that up by having a good time with those in your section, but then you run the risk of missing some plays.... when they get around to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad