Fire Tippett now? - One, two, three, they gonna run back to me...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I was all for firing Maloney, but leaving Tippett in the organization and promoting him was a **** show. If the GM needed to go, so did the coach.

Yep. It's too bad the rest of us had to watch them fail so miserably, or it'd be more amusing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Doing a non-snarky post mortem on this season, I attribute the regression to:
1. Buy out of Vermette without knowing that Strome could take his place
2. Injuries to Richardson, Domi, Hanzal, Smith
3. Poor play from OEL, Murphy, Stone, Doan and Duclair.

I'm not sure how much of this is on Chayka and how much is on Tippett.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Doing a non-snarky post mortem on this season, I attribute the regression to:
1. Buy out of Vermette without knowing that Strome could take his place
2. Injuries to Richardson, Domi, Hanzal, Smith
3. Poor play from OEL, Murphy, Stone, Doan and Duclair.

I'm not sure how much of this is on Chayka and how much is on Tippett.

I mostly agree but would say it another way:

1. Center-waiving Vermette, Strome being a major disappointment, Richardson hurt, killed our C position.

2. OEL/Gogo/Stone/Murphy all playing under expectations. This is primarily what killed us this year.

3. Doan finally slowing down was to be expected. Maybe he had puck luck last year and not any this year.

4. Duclair not being as effective hurt us but was not the core problem.

Unless we get a 1RHD and a vet 1C/2C we will be bad again next year. We have the same holes and until they are filled, we get more of the same. The Chycrun/DeAnegelo/crouse/Strome/keller/Fisher group of young players will get better and help. It won't be enough to make the playoffs though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah, I see 6 players that earned decent time without having played in the NHL before. I see a team that still has some interesting struggles defensively (we can put that on Tippett and Playfair both). I see a team that has a lot of growing up to do.

I also see a team that is 7-9-1 since the all star break. I see a team that will have its growing pains now, but headed towards some great things in the future.

I will say that if this team is still in the same sort of position next year, then yes, I think it would be necessary to move on. But not quite yet. I think we will be very solid next year - maybe not playoff caliber, but hanging in the race until the end. Basically enough for people to see that the team is about to blossom under Tippett...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
*I think we will be very solid next year - maybe not playoff caliber, but hanging in the race until the end.
That's been the official line for the beginning of each of the last several seasons, including the one that ended with 56 points.
If the team relocates this summer, they'll almost certainly sell. My bet is Tippett is gone at that point. Barring that, with the team still in limbo under Tippett, all the excuses start with young players. Next year will have even more of them. We won't have Hanzal. The players have looked disinterested for the past five years. What brings on this miracle turn-around?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, I see 6 players that earned decent time without having played in the NHL before. I see a team that still has some interesting struggles defensively (we can put that on Tippett and Playfair both). I see a team that has a lot of growing up to do.

I also see a team that is 7-9-1 since the all star break. I see a team that will have its growing pains now, but headed towards some great things in the future.

I will say that if this team is still in the same sort of position next year, then yes, I think it would be necessary to move on. But not quite yet. I think we will be very solid next year - maybe not playoff caliber, but hanging in the race until the end. Basically enough for people to see that the team is about to blossom under Tippett...

That is exactly how I see it, although I blame the struggles on D on the players like OEL, Goose, Stone and Murphy. All have played crappy this year.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I hope you folks get Hischer and fire Tippett. Id say you have a decent young core(needs vets though). really rooting for you guys

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That is exactly how I see it, although I blame the struggles on D on the players like OEL, Goose, Stone and Murphy. All have played crappy this year.

Part of the issue has been our play with the puck. In the next game, watch and count just how many passes we make that hit the opposition on the skates (especially when we are moving the puck from the defensive end). Our forwards then have to backtrack, and there is usually an odd man rush back our way. You cant sustain much momentum that way.

With each season, you should expect to be a playoff team, but it doesn't always work out that way. 2015 was the first year that we bought into non-drinkable Kool-Aid. If anyone bought into the Kool-Aid last year or this year, then they don't understand how the number of youth being incorporated hurts our bottom line in points. The kids will learn and have small victories in between. Next year should be the time when we start to see it all come together.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
He was rightfully fired for not "communicating and collaborating" with Tippet, Drummond, and LeBlanc. Duh.

I never said he was wrongfully fired or even suggested that. It was just what you read into it. Duh I was just saying he wasn't the only reason the team sucked but he took the fall for all of it. He is probably glad to see certain others get their share of the blame. Sorry that was too over the top for you.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That's been the official line for the beginning of each of the last several seasons, including the one that ended with 56 points.
If the team relocates this summer, they'll almost certainly sell. My bet is Tippett is gone at that point. Barring that, with the team still in limbo under Tippett, all the excuses start with young players. Next year will have even more of them. We won't have Hanzal. The players have looked disinterested for the past five years. What brings on this miracle turn-around?

I think that is where we start to pick up some veteran assets using our youth. Duchene is a player that I would gladly offer Strome and Rieder for. We have a ton of depth to make up.for Rieder, and if we pick Patrick, I think he will be just as good as Strome in the long run.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I wouldn't have fired Tipp last season, but he should not have got that extension. He should've had this season to continue to grow. And now that there hasn't really been growth, they should've let him walk. Now we're in a situation where we owe him a stupid amount of money.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Well, Tippett might just bring rt and XX's fantasies to life, by resigning at the end of the season.
Couple years ago Tip already said something like "i'm all for winning, and if there no competitive team here I quit". But he signed with no competitive team in place.

So, thats bla-bla-bla. He has no balls for this. he lost all he could.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad