Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sure. But who was the culprit of that depletion? Yes -- GM Rob Blake. So if his hands were tied, he was the one that actually tied them himself. It's like blaming the car for the DUI.

I think he's saying ownership might have tied his hands, not that he couldn't do anything, but I don't think they did, he very clearly tried to get a goaltender, just happens both he tried to get had NTC that they wouldn't waive

Reactions: Mattias

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If the Kings do start selling, I think Doughty's career as a King is over. He won't be here for a rebuild.

People always say you can't trade these types of contracts, but GM's always find a way.

I'm not sure about Kopitar.

The situation isn't totally dire. We have lots of tradeable assets to kickstart a proper rebuild. The one big issue is that terrible PLD contract.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
We should have traded Matt Roy
This absolutely is the biggest mistake of the TDL.

Look im going to keep it 100. These are just my opinions so no need to get worked up over it.

- I see Byfield being a good player now but I think that game breaking talent isn't there with him nor is the drive which is going to be a big problem since he's the only important player from the draft on the Kings.
- I don't know how I feel about Clarke. He impresses me at times and is pretty lackluster as well. I feel that I got spoiled by Doughty too much when he was a rookie because Clarke seems far away from rookie doughty. Very far.
-Vilardi... I said this last year before and after they traded him. Best player from the draft and it isnt even close. He still is by far better than any of our players from the rebuild. He has game breaking talent, elite hockey IQ, and passion. I cant emphasize how important passion is. Vilardi is a f***ing magician near the net and creates like no other player on the Kings. Kings haven't had a player like that for such a long time. I don't know why they traded him. I think to be bitching about his injury issues when his ability was crazy high was stupid. A lot of you guys tried super hard to cope with that bullshit.
- The "development" staff. Now this is where the real shit show is, all of these people have to go. The scouts have got to go. The development team has got to go. Complete morons. All of them. No one should be spared.
-Kopitar and Doughty holding prominent positions in 2024. What on Earth is this bullshit? I will start by saying I dont give a f*** how many points Kopitar has. He shouldn't have been the guy at this point. He's way too old, and he is a total nonfactor in the playoffs. Why haven't we let someone else take those reigns who can maybe exceed with his icetime? Absolute stupidity. And Doughty.. I dont feel as angry with Doughty because he isn't as bad as Kopitar. But they both should have been traded. If Patrick Kane could be traded so should they. I loved both players for what they have done for this team back in its glory days but their retirement couldn't come sooner. I have ZERO idea why they extended Kopitar. Absolute stupidity.
- Blake and all his friends.. these bozos have single handedly set the Kings back for another rebuild and thats the truth. We have all for the most part been in agreemeent with this. You cannot rebuild and trade the youth away then expect to be successful. Blake extended Todd this season without anything to show for it??? really? You're extending him on what grounds exactly? And AEG made him fire him. Thankfully. But the real crux of the problem is Blake and we all knew this. Todd was an awful coach and should have been canned a long time ago, but Blake had to go with him as well. Blake is a complete idiot and so is the rest of the coaching staff.
- 1-3-1. Now this formation has absolutely killed the Kings. I for one don't think the Kings have as much of a skill problem than they have an approach problem. This formation is complete garbage and archaic. This system has been ran a train on with the Kings and it's still being heavily enforced. Kings were down 6-3 or 6-4 yesterday and they were running 1-3-1 with 3 or 4 minutes left. This is complete stupidity. How do you expect to win against the oilers without pressuring them? How the f*** does that work? We're the joke of the league and rightfully other players/coaches have called the Kings out for it. Yesterday Daryl made a comment that he doesn't know why the Kings are doing 1-3-1 and it isn't working, literally 2 seconds later McDavid skated through the 1-3-1 singlehandedly and created another scoring chance. Why the f*** are they doing this dumb shit?

In short, I hope everyone involved with this team got hit by an atomic bomb.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Rob Blake sitting on his hands at the deadline shows how much confidence he had in this group to accomplish anything in the playoffs. He knows this is a team of pretenders, and the lack of movement is a telltale sign of that.
Personally, I see the lack of movement at the deadline as likely one of two things.

A) Ownership handcuffed Blake at the deadline due to a lack of faith in his 'plan'
  • He claimed he's built this team specifically to beat Edmonton, PLD was a HUGE swing (and so far a huge miss), and there's a number of other mistakes on Blake's record that should give an ownership group pause
B) Blake truly believed this team was good enough to contend at the deadline
  • Which is so insane it should lead to his firing if that's the case

Basically, it was either Blake's fault for not improving this team at the deadline or it was due to ownership running out of confidence in Blake's ability to make moves that benefit the team/organization. Either way, it very much hints at Blake being on the way out (short of a miracle run by the Kings).

You can't make a trade like the PLD trade and then sit on your hands at the trade deadline and lose in the first round (for the 3rd year in a row to the SAME team) and keep your job. So as others have pointed out, the silver lining is either we win in the playoffs or we at the very least see a new GM take over (ideally more front office changes than that).

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Personally, I see the lack of movement at the deadline as likely one of two things.

A) Ownership handcuffed Blake at the deadline due to a lack of faith in his 'plan'
  • He claimed he's built this team specifically to beat Edmonton, PLD was a HUGE swing (and so far a huge miss), and there's a number of other mistakes on Blake's record that should give an ownership group pause
B) Blake truly believed this team was good enough to contend at the deadline
  • Which is so insane it should lead to his firing if that's the case

Basically, it was either Blake's fault for not improving this team at the deadline or it was due to ownership running out of confidence in Blake's ability to make moves that benefit the team/organization. Either way, it very much hints at Blake being on the way out (short of a miracle run by the Kings).

You can't make a trade like the PLD trade and then sit on your hands at the trade deadline and lose in the first round (for the 3rd year in a row to the SAME team) and keep your job. So as others have pointed out, the silver lining is either we win in the playoffs or we at the very least see a new GM take over (ideally more front office changes than that).
Definitely A.

He extended Todd this season. Said Todd is amazing. 2 weeks later was forced to fire him. Blake. I am pretty sure they didn’t allow him to do anything. With how much love and support he was giving Todd, extending him during the season then being forced to fire him same season. That’s definitely not him.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If the Kings do start selling, I think Doughty's career as a King is over. He won't be here for a rebuild.

People always say you can't trade these types of contracts, but GM's always find a way.

The situation isn't totally dire. We have lots of tradeable assets to kickstart a proper rebuild. The one big issue is that terrible PLD contract.
We do have some assets and with the right GM / FO, they could turn things around and right the ship with a rebuild....and not a total tear down, blow it up type.

Unfortunately, i think we're headed to more of the same Blake type stuff (PLD, Lewis, Lizotte, etc.). Trying to win with vets, etc. We'll be black holing things until Kopi/DD are gone and then maybe we will see a reset. I hope i'm wrong BTW.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Definitely A.

He extended Todd this season. Said Todd is amazing. 2 weeks later was forced to fire him. Blake. I am pretty sure they didn’t allow him to do anything. With how much love and support he was giving Todd, extending him during the season then being forced to fire him same season. That’s definitely not him.
Yep, true - Good point about the Todd situation. Todd was Blake's 'guy' and Blake made him the highest paid coach in the NHL despite McLellan having a very mediocre track record. Then extended him in the same season he was forced to fire him.... Definitely yet another strike on Blake's record and probably true that firing Todd was a matter of ownership stepping in vs Blake making the decision on his own.

Reactions: tbrown33

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yep, true - Good point about the Todd situation. Todd was Blake's 'guy' and Blake made him the highest paid coach in the NHL despite McLellan having a very mediocre track record. Then extended him in the same season he was forced to fire him.... Definitely yet another strike on Blake's record and probably true that firing Todd was a matter of ownership stepping in vs Blake making the decision on his own.

McCellan is in the top 25 winningest coaches of all time in the NHL, the guys who are active above him are Deboer, Martin, Tortorella, Laviolette, Ruff and Maurice.....

Like, Dislike, the guy all you want....but be factual please.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

I still believe that the Kings are more likely to spend the next few years throwing made up ceremonies for Kopi and DD and pretending that they can win one more for both of them than they are to trade either of them. This is irrespective of whether Blake stays or goes. The entire organization acts like they’re indebted to those two.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Redonkulous post!

Reads like the Star Wars Trilogy.

The coping mechanisms are coming out of the medicine cabinet today.

After one playoff loss on the road.

Mass Formation Psychosis.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Redonkulous post!

Reads like the Star Wars Trilogy.

The coping mechanisms are coming out of the medicine cabinet today.

After one playoff loss on the road.

Mass Formation Psychosis.
Man what is wrong with the star wars trilogy?
And what coping mechanism? We werent the ones out there getting completely dismantled.
These guys have to be called out. Management coddles them and the media handles them with kid gloves not daring to ask anything of substance.
That loss was an embarrassment. They have had far too many of those this year.
Someone in the organization should look every one of them in the eye and tell em and it was embarrassing and you may wanna look into selling your home or apartment because you wont be back here playing.
If you want it bad go on the ice and prove the entire world wrong.

• Haha

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Man what is wrong with the star wars trilogy?
And what coping mechanism? We werent the ones out there getting completely dismantled.
These guys have to be called out. Management coddles them and the media handles them with kid gloves not daring to ask anything of substance.
That loss was an embarrassment. They have had far too many of those this year.
Someone in the organization should look every one of them in the eye and tell em and it was embarrassing and you may wanna look into selling your home or apartment because you wont be back here playing.
If you want it bad go on the ice and prove the entire world wrong.

No need to go Battlestar Galactica!

Surf Nutz

• Poll
Are you on board with a For Realbuild?
Replies14Views64
5 minutes ago
chris kontos

Surf Nutz

Replies87Views1K
7 minutes ago
Schmooley

[IMG alt="FSL KINGS"]https://hfboards-data.community.forum/avatars/s/332/332528.jpg?1689972024[/IMG]
[IMG alt="Raccoon Jesus"]https://hfboards-data.community.forum/avatars/s/75/75805.jpg?1713853672[/IMG]
Low Effort Playoff Avatars Here

Above are the coping mechanism threads.

It's one game and the Oilers were pumped with the home crowd.

They are legit contenders.

At least give the Kings a chance to play out the series before you freak out.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kaliyev was given every chance to play and can't hack it....
This is absolutely not true.

He is a scoring winger who needs a playmaking center.
4th line grinding minutes doesn't cut it for those guys especially not playing with scrap.
Even in those conditions he scored on a 20 goal pace..

What else is he supposed to do?
Scoring 30 goals?

Jun 30, 2006

I still believe that the Kings are more likely to spend the next few years throwing made up ceremonies for Kopi and DD and pretending that they can win one more for both of them than they are to trade either of them. This is irrespective of whether Blake stays or goes. The entire organization acts like they’re indebted to those two.
Let’s be honest, AEG doesn’t care. It’s all about the bottom line and anything (except winning) to attract fans to shell out money for overpriced tickets and concessions.

They won’t rebuild, they will keep retooling until the wheels completely come off or the fans just stop showing up.

I really don’t think the Kings organization is serious anymore. It has turned into a country club.

Reactions: Schrute farms

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Not sure AEG is too excited about this and paying the jetisoned marsupial another 5m for not coaching next season

PLD contract and a looming buyout decision for PLD hanging over things

I would say things look bleak for Blake even without the hiller of beans he's about to die on

Reactions: Maynard

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
No need to go Battlestar Galactica!

Surf Nutz

• Poll
Are you on board with a For Realbuild?
Replies14Views64
5 minutes ago
chris kontos

Surf Nutz

Replies87Views1K
7 minutes ago
Schmooley

[IMG alt="FSL KINGS"]https://hfboards-data.community.forum/avatars/s/332/332528.jpg?1689972024[/IMG]
[IMG alt="Raccoon Jesus"]https://hfboards-data.community.forum/avatars/s/75/75805.jpg?1713853672[/IMG]
Low Effort Playoff Avatars Here

Above are the coping mechanism threads.

It's one game and the Oilers were pumped with the home crowd.

They are legit contenders.

At least give the Kings a chance to play out the series before you freak out.
Bro you copy and paste about as effectively as the government does it's job

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We do have some assets and with the right GM / FO, they could turn things around and right the ship with a rebuild....and not a total tear down, blow it up type.

Unfortunately, i think we're headed to more of the same Blake type stuff (PLD, Lewis, Lizotte, etc.). Trying to win with vets, etc. We'll be black holing things until Kopi/DD are gone and then maybe we will see a reset. I hope i'm wrong BTW.
This is why Kopitar and Doughty need to go now. The first notable move Dean made was trading Demitra for O'Sullivan. That sent a message saying the Kings were open for business as they went on to trade more vets and turn them into assets that would build the cup winning teams.

AEG needs to find the right man for the job though, because Robitaille and Blake are never going to win a damn thing in the NHL on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad