Confirmed with Link: Fire Pete DeBoer - just kidding - HIRED

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
DeBoer wasn’t my 1st take as the Stars new coach but I’m fine with it. A handful of years or so with Ruff, Hitchcock, Montgomery and Bones it’s time this team grabs a coach for a few years and does something different. He’s already stated he knows Heiskanen has more of an offensive potential (now being allowed) and is going to open a more offensive style of game from our backend.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
someone may have mentioned this already, but..
finally listened to pdb's interview with the hardline. when asked about how to get more scoring he brought up the upcoming infusion of skill from the farm. later he also referenced his time coaching jr hockey and said he thinks of himself as a development coach.

those are great signs that we really are looking at a youth movement.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
finally listened to pdb's interview with the hardline. when asked about how to get more scoring he brought up the upcoming infusion of skill from the farm. later he also referenced his time coaching jr hockey and said he thinks of himself as a development coach.

i was told that PDB eats prospects for breakfast and nobody has ever developed under him

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006

But But But he hates young players and doesn’t play them!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Duhatschek wrote an article about retread coaches that I felt was pretty thoughtful. If you're curious, it's worth a read.

I appreciated this the most ... this is less retread and more coaching in general:

Being an NHL coach requires technical expertise, the ability to change strategies on the fly, and the ability to relate to players of all ages and experience levels. Whenever I think why NHL coaches succeed and fail, I go back to a long-ago conversation with Willie Mitchell who once gave this assessment of Gerard Gallant, back in the early stages of Gallant’s career.

Mitchell said (and I’m paraphrasing for clarity) that in his experience, some coaches do well with younger players because their primary skill is teaching and development and others do well with older players because their expertise is motivation and bench management. Gallant, according to Mitchell, succeeded in doing both.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Pavelski was on the Hardline. He was asked about what DeBoer will do different. Pavelski said he's already talked to DeBoer about how things will change. The main three things is sounds like they want to work on are improving the forecheck, improving breakouts, and getting the defense involved more.

When asked what advice he'd give Benn and Seguin about how to prepare for them entering the old guy phase of their careers, he talked about needing to put in work every day to keep the body able to compete. Don't know if he's speaking generally or was saying something about Benn and Seguin.

Reactions: Sports2

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Pavelski was on the Hardline. He was asked about what DeBoer will do different. Pavelski said he's already talked to DeBoer about how things will change. The main three things is sounds like they want to work on are improving the forecheck, improving breakouts, and getting the defense involved more.

When asked what advice he'd give Benn and Seguin about how to prepare for them entering the old guy phase of their careers, he talked about needing to put in work every day to keep the body able to compete. Don't know if he's speaking generally or was saying something about Benn and Seguin.

Hopefully, they'll post it later. That sounds like the perfect guy to talk to about those topics.

Those are some of the main things DeBoer touched on in his introductory press conference: getting out of the D zone, getting through the neutral zone with speed, and playing as a 5 man unit.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Seguin seems pretty good at staying fit and in game shape.

Benn I could see being a lot lazier.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Shea Theodore bloomed under PDB, hope Miro has a clean offseason and manages to stay covid free next season.

Reactions: Zapp

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Seguin seems pretty good at staying fit and in game shape.

Benn I could see being a lot lazier.

I have no clue about their prep, but they both played with a legend like Jagr and Pavs has been here for three years already, so if none of that has rubbed off, nothing will at this point.

My guess is that it's just a generic piece of advice and isn't some indictment of their prep. My problem with Benn is more mental than physical, IMO. He hasn't done nearly enough to change his game and is still trying the same stuff as when he still had two working hips and one of the deadliest wristers in the NHL. At least with Seguin you can see the makings of changing who he is as a player, with Benn I'd really like him and his coaches to accentuate the strengths he has left and leave what doesn't work behind.

Reactions: LT

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Listened to the Jeff Marek show and he mentioned that its expected that Alain Nasreddine will be joining the coaching staff (don't remember the exact phrasing he said).

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Listened to the Jeff Marek show and he mentioned that its expected that Alain Nasreddine will be joining the coaching staff (don't remember the exact phrasing he said).

TVA has it as a done deal.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
f***. I guess he can’t be any worse than Lexdall was the 2nd half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad