Confirmed with Link: Fire Pete DeBoer - just kidding - HIRED

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Seeing on the main boards and have heard it here that he leans heavily on veteran players and is not good at all for young players. Just what the Stars needed right?

And to think it'll likely be a multi-year contract oh boy

Reactions: atticus ross

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Seeing on the main boards and have heard it here that he leans heavily on veteran players and is not good at all for young players. Just what the Stars needed right?

Sounds like the coach version of Nill.

I think most coaches do this, though.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

What's the coaching equivalent of an NMC?

Completely unsurprised by this. Why get a coach that fits your current needs? He isn't likely to play young guys and will lean on veterans regardless of merit, his goalies hate him, and he plays a defense first system that had Vegas struggling to score.

I can't be mad at Deboer for being himself though, only at Gaglardi for still employing Jim Nill. DeBoer is surely an upgrade over the last guy, but that's not much of a bar to clear.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but it's not like DeBoer went out and did some deep soul searching and restructuring of his systems and NHL philosophy between jobs. Guy has been unemployed for weeks, maybe a month. He's going to roll out the same tired systems he's been rolling out since he came into the league.

It's never too early to start getting mad at a coach

Honestly, this is the most reasonable take (I'm gonna assume sarcasm). I should probably give the guy a chance before completely writing him off. It's just hard to get excited about such a known quantity, and that known quantity not having a track record jiving with a youth movement.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Is he really though? Seems like Bowness 2.0 based on how his system sounds

Feels like Nill wanted Savard or someone newer but Gaglardi probably wanted DeBoer
Have you watched any highlights? His system hardly dump and chases so that’s good. Most of his teams are always top 10 in goals for. His pp does suck though.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What's the coaching equivalent of an NMC?

Completely unsurprised by this. Why get a coach that fits your current needs? He isn't likely to play young guys and will lean on veterans regardless of merit, his goalies hate him, and he plays a defense first system that had Vegas struggling to score.

I can't be mad at Deboer for being himself though, only at Gaglardi for still employing Jim Nill. DeBoer is surely an upgrade over the last guy, but that's not much of a bar to clear.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but it's not like DeBoer went out and did some deep soul searching and restructuring of his systems and NHL philosophy between jobs. Guy has been unemployed for weeks, maybe a month. He's going to roll out the same tired systems he's been rolling out since he came into the league.

Honestly, this is the most reasonable take (I'm gonna assume sarcasm). I should probably give the guy a chance before completely writing him off. It's just hard to get excited about such a known quantity, and that known quantity not having a track record jiving with a youth movement.

The main thing that perhaps we should take away from this is that a youth movement isn't exactly on the horizon as we had hoped after all. Probably won't happen until Nill is gone at this point. Would not surprise me at all if Dellandrea and Harley are the only rookies who get NHL time next season

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
The main thing that perhaps we should take away from this is that a youth movement isn't exactly on the horizon as we had hoped after all. Probably won't happen until Nill is gone at this point. Would not surprise me at all if Dellandrea and Harley are the only rookies who get NHL time next season
A youth movement won’t happen until Galardi sells the team. He won’t let it happen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Well, at least the next coach mystery is done. Curious if they're gonna let DeBoer bring his same garbage assistants he had in Vegas

Reactions: starsfan86

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I feel a little better after reading DeFranks article. Not great but there do appear to be some bright spots in his system. Seems that the PP was the worst part of his system/time in Vegas, as well as the teams inability to win in big games.

Vegas was 3rd in the league in goals by dmen last season as well as the stuff below. Their team as a whole does have more skill and speed than Dallas imo but still

Under DeBoer, Vegas was a top-five team in shot attempts, shots on goal, scoring chances, high-danger chances, expected goals and goals (per 60 minutes of 5 on 5).
DeBoer’s teams also play strong defense, as the Golden Knights allowed the third-fewest shots per 60 minutes at 5 on 5 in the NHL during his tenure.

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
I’ll give him a shot and see how he does. If he fails though I’m going to kick both Nill and Gaglardi in the balls.
If he fails Nill is gone, so that'll save you the kick. lol.

I feel a little better after reading DeFranks article. Not great but there do appear to be some bright spots in his system. Seems that the PP was the worst part of his system/time in Vegas, as well as the teams inability to win in big games.

Vegas was 3rd in the league in goals by dmen last season as well as the stuff below. Their team as a whole does have more skill and speed than Dallas imo but still
Tbf, Vegas also has a superteam. We are not a superteam.

He's an upgrade. That's all that matters.
This is an upgrade like going from a 2001 F150 with 300,000 miles to a 2001 Silverado 1500 with 299,999 miles is an upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad