Speculation: Fire Glen Sather

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

A few weeks before the end of the season, Sather told me he had no plans to step down or step away from the GM’s job; no intention to enjoy life at the fishing hole or on a safari as club president while leaving the day-to-day grind to someone else, perhaps someone from his staff that includes Jeff Gorton and Jim Schoenfeld. It is unknown whether this unexpected run has changed his outlook. There is no better way to go out than on top.

um... good bye Jeff Gorton?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I read your response to me which is all that is relevant to my exchange with you...

Fair enough.

I will now return to the bottom of the bridge from where I reside. Good day to all!

image.png

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In all seriousness, Sather has not been nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be.

3rd round, 2nd round, Cup Finals.

Pretty damn good.
Some of the worst money spent in Rangers history. Some of the worst trades. Pretty dam bad.

How many other GM's have received as many mulligans as the Sather?

That all said, if the Rangers win the Cup. move over Neil Smith. They can share a spot in the pantheon.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Ron Low, John Muckler, Darius Kasperitis, Eric Lindros, Bobby Holik, Chris Drury, Pavel Bure, Anson Carter, Wade Redden all agree with you.

If we win the Cup, all will be forgiven. I gave up my season tickets when Redden was signed. My contempt for Sather has been well documented. Nevertheless, a Cup will heal my wounds and venom for his reign

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I've been calling for the end of the Glen Sather era for years, but I have to admit:

When you are close to the top of the mountain, looking down at the mistakes that were made, its a whole lot different than looking up at something that feels insurmountable, when those mistakes first happened.

Perspesctive: Altered

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ron Low, John Muckler, Darius Kasperitis, Eric Lindros, Bobby Holik, Chris Drury, Pavel Bure, Anson Carter, Wade Redden all agree with you.

Anson Carter turned in to Jagr. Great trade for us.

I'd take a chance on Pavel Bure every time. The guy was awesome.

What did we lose for Lindros? Brendl? Johnson? That's okay.

If you are looking for a perfect gm you might have a long search. Despite some moves that turned out badly we are in the cup finals so maybe it is possible Slat made some good moves as well?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd take a chance on Pavel Bure every time. The guy was awesome.
Yup. He made a huge difference.
What did we lose for Lindros? Brendl? Johnson? That's okay.
Hindsight for what was given up is not the only way to judge trades. Do you mean to tell me that you view the Lindros trade as a success?
If you are looking for a perfect gm you might have a long search. Despite some moves that turned out badly we are in the cup finals so maybe it is possible Slat made some good moves as well?
No one is denying that he made good moves as well. And I have no idea of what the perfect GM is. However, I do know that no GM in the NHL has been given as many mulligans as Sather and if he was in any organization run by someone besides Dolan, that he would have been gone a long time ago.

What is his overall record since he took over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad