Fire(d) Bowness - Stars clean out coaching staff

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seguin had a surprising number of goals go in off of him. I loved it because it showed a new element to his game of going to the crease, but it might also not be a repeatable run of luck. Maybe another offseason of leg days helps him get more acceleration back. I sure hope so.

Figuring out how to use him is an interesting thing about next season. His PP one timer was no longer a threat, yet it remained the primary focus of what the second unit tried to set up. But maybe getting more power into his legs will help fix his one timer.

I have no answers and only questions.

Reactions: Sports2 and LT

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

*Friedman suggested Trotz is not an option in Dallas. Sounds like he's not interested.

*Friedman also said Trotz isn't an option in Florida because of his relationship with Brunette. Trotz won't push him out. Looks like Brunette may return with a veteran assistant.

*Trotz either lands in Winnipeg, outside chance Detroit, takes a year off, or lands in Nashville in management. He'll be in Winnipeg this week.

*Marek suggested in Dallas, the ball is in DeBoer's court. Friedman said if it's DeBoer, will know in a day or two probably. It seems they're strongly hinting he's been offered the job. You at least have to wonder if the hesitation or decision on his part has anything to do with LeBrun suggesting candidates are looking at Nill's contract situation.

Some will suggest these two things are bad or even lose their mind over it ... but I sort of wonder it DeBoer and Petry are both just inevitable. Definitely don't think either or both are the end of the world ... but I also don't really like either option and it essentially creates the most boring, lukewarm off-season. That's hard to do when you look at last summer's activity.

Reactions: Kcb12345

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

*Friedman suggested Trotz is not an option in Dallas. Sounds like he's not interested.

*Friedman also said Trotz isn't an option in Florida because of his relationship with Brunette. Trotz won't push him out. Looks like Brunette may return with a veteran assistant.

*Trotz either lands in Winnipeg, outside chance Detroit, takes a year off, or lands in Nashville in management. He'll be in Winnipeg this week.

*Marek suggested in Dallas, the ball is in DeBoer's court. Friedman said if it's DeBoer, will know in a day or two probably. It seems they're strongly hinting he's been offered the job. You at least have to wonder if the hesitation or decision on his part has anything to do with LeBrun suggesting candidates are looking at Nill's contract situation.

Some will suggest these two things are bad or even lose their mind over it ... but I sort of wonder it DeBoer and Petry are both just inevitable. Definitely don't think either or both are the end of the world ... but I also don't really like either option and it essentially creates the most boring, lukewarm off-season. That's hard to do when you look at last summer's activity.
I don't feel like Petry is inevitable, they have all said how they want to get younger and faster so that seems counter intuitive.

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't feel like Petry is inevitable, they have all said how they want to get younger and faster so that seems counter intuitive.
True; But literally everything about how Nill has built this roster since he took over says otherwise. Also, you don't hire a coach like DeBoer if your goal is to go younger and faster.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
True; But literally everything about how Nill has built this roster since he took over says otherwise. Also, you don't hire a coach like DeBoer if your goal is to go younger and faster.

That's my thoughts. It's not like it would be anything different if Dallas said one thing and did something else. Saying you're going to get younger and following through are two different things.

If you look at Jim Nill's previous moves, a likely low-cost acquisition of a veteran with term fits his history perfectly. The fact that it doesn't entirely line up with what he's said means less to me. Acquiring a coach like DeBoer and then acquiring a player like Petry are two fairly similar moves.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Sad news but it's inevitable it seems. Guess we shouldn't have expected Nill to do anything differently though, he's gonna go for it all again with the same mediocre roster and a different meh coach

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You know what's an even scarier thought? If the Stars don't land DeBoer for whatever reason (very small chance imo), I'm afraid to find out who their 2nd choice is

I'd imagine DeBoer is waiting on Florida to decide what they're gonna do or something like that. I'm jealous that the Bruins are looking for a newer coach (unless it's David Quinn)

Reactions: Elysian

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You know what's an even scarier thought? If the Stars don't land DeBoer for whatever reason (very small chance imo), I'm afraid to find out who their 2nd choice is

I'd imagine DeBoer is waiting on Florida to decide what they're gonna do or something like that. I'm jealous that the Bruins are looking for a newer coach (unless it's David Quinn)
This is silly, there's so many competent coaches on the market right now.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I noticed that too...strangely quiet for him.

Hope the Stars bring him in as an assistant coach at least. Desperately hope they don't let DeBoer pick his assistants
Not a huge fan of acquiring Petry, but he would really benefit with Deboer’s system. We need someone with a cannon back there now that Klingberg is gone.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I noticed that too...strangely quiet for him.

Hope the Stars bring him in as an assistant coach at least. Desperately hope they don't let DeBoer pick his assistants

That's a step back for Savard. He left being an assistant coach to get head coaching experience. Guys do it in different ways, but most want to have some head coaching experience at lower levels. I imagine he won't return to the NHL as anything less than a head coach unless it's several years down the line. He'll probably eventually be in the AHL as a head coach if he's not offered an NHL job first. That stop in the AHL could happen pretty soon too if he's really as hot a candidate as Marek suggests.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
That's a step back for Savard. He left being an assistant coach to get head coaching experience. Guys do it in different ways, but most want to have some head coaching experience at lower levels. I imagine he won't return to the NHL as anything less than a head coach unless it's several years down the line. He'll probably eventually be in the AHL as a head coach if he's not offered an NHL job first. That stop in the AHL could happen pretty soon too if he's really as hot a candidate as Marek suggests.
I have a feeling we hire DeBeor, but if he doesn’t accept I think we get Savard

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
That would be a big difference imo. I have a feeling we go after Rick Tocchet if we can't get DeBoer
Worst case scenario right there. Like I've said before any NHL team would have to be a f***ing moron to hire him after his track record. I'd be excited if the Stars passing on DeGoober just to see what happens and who they end up with... It would be interesting at least. IF Tocchet wasn't out there as a possibility. Something I'd never think was possible if not for insiders throwing his name around.

Reactions: Elysian and LT

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is silly, there's so many competent coaches on the market right now.
Lol. I don't think the fear is based on the crop of coaches left and 100% on who Nill would hire. In other words, if DeBoar was his #1 who tf is his #2....

That would be a big difference imo. I have a feeling we go after Rick Tocchet if we can't get DeBoer
I think this or David Quinn. Btw, I don't think Toch is terrible - Arizona was terrible but I personally liked the aggressive playstyle he implemented. I'd rather have Toch than DeBoar or Quinn.

Last edited:

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm not real thrilled about DeBoer after the Lehner shit, wouldn't mind getting Savard, at least he's not a retread.
For the record, I would prefer Savard, but I don't see it happening. Nill has had both the CEO and the Owner allude to his firing 2 of the last 3 seasons. I think the reason we keep hearing DeBoar is because he's a deadman's hiring - proven NHL coach, been to the finals twice, similar system to what we already have. Safe choice.

Same reason we sign 37 year old veteran defensemen instead of signing someone with speed and playmaking ability.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Everything probably gets settled after Florida and Boston get hires. They're probably both somewhat more desirable. Florida for obvious reasons, Boston because they don't have this lame duck GM situation hanging over them, even if the team is very likely to be in the midst of a rebuild. Doubly true if Savard has interviewed for Dallas and Boston and he's waiting to see if he can go to Boston.

I don't really give a shit what overzealous intern does with Savard's twitter account, all I care about is if he's good at his job, if he plays a progressive system, and if he's willing to play younger players.

It's probably DeBoer, but only if he doesn't get the Florida job instead.

I don't know much about Tocchet as a coach, but if this was any other league than the joke that is the NHL, he'd be banned for life from operating in and around hockey all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad