Speculation: Fire Bylsma/Shero? We are asking the wrong question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
being from Australia i dont get the local media coverage so all i can go by is by the games i watch on TV and heres a view from an outsider. To me Shero and bylsma both have to go but not only that the entire organisation has to take a look at itself in the mirror.

A fish stinks from the head and this team from the head is smelling like a 3 year old fish.

I know its not their fault for the players but they have allowed both Shero and Bylsma run this core to the ground, but i guess as long as long as the arena is full and tickets are selling, the merchandise and the beers flow out the door then i guess from a business standpoint its great but they should never have given the Bylsma shero tandema free pass.

Onto Bylsma - Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for 2011 tampa series due to injruy regardless of where they stood, afterall how many times can Asham score in the final.. the rest is a trainwreck and nothing sums it up last night like the final period, down 2-1 and a tired 4th line ices the puck. Who does Bylsma put out? Oh the 4th line of Adams and crew. nuff said,

Now Shero, This is the true defanition of the old boys club.We have drafted D men for god knows how long, to naturally replace the ones we lose to free agency.

take Letang for example - has an excellent 2013 regular season, struggled against the B's and his trade value is at an all time high with his 4m dollar cap hit - but what do we do, we extend his contract to an insane 7.5 million long term. Why? He could have fetched wingers, draft picks or a solid established player(s) but we just go and suck another 7 million against the wall.

Then Scuderi - the shadow of his 2009 self, oh and at another 3.3 million cap hit. we have players drafted who have been waiting for a shot at his spot who could do it better for cheaper.

Dupuis - another rediculous deal - I like Pascals heart but not for 3.5 million at his age for 4 years. It was time to let that puppy walk.

This team has totally failed to adapt with the salary cap with these stupid deals - we haven't evolved we just keep getting older and older and we are holding our young D core down because we cant get rid of these useless contracts.... /rant

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jaded, that was the scope of the analysis (why it only showed forwards).

Strongly suggest you read it. It is interesting. I'm not asking him to be top 10. I'm asking that he not be in the bottom 5.

http://thepensblog.com/2014-archives/shero-draft-piece.html

This isn’t about Shero passing on Brandon Saad or debating whether or not Shero should’ve drafted Toews over Staal. Making picks and having them turn into an NHL player is anything but an exact science. But when you have no one in your organization that can fill a void on any line, you have a major problem.
As we were researching, this quote from the MC79hockey article above, was a foundation:

“If the Pens lose in the playoffs, as they probably will, it will probably involve Crosby/Malkin having a few cold games (or Marc-Andre Fleury blowing up). When that happens, people will say “Gee, Malkin/Crosby/Fleury were terrible.†Perhaps they should point out that Pittsburgh is trying to win with an abysmal bottom half of their team, which piles an awful lot of pressure on the other guys.â€

The Penguins’ inability to fill the bottom half of the lineup is a direct result of their swings and misses at the draft. The evidence does not lie…

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jaded, that was the scope of the analysis (why it only showed forwards).

Strongly suggest you read it. It is interesting. I'm not asking him to be top 10. I'm asking that he not be in the bottom 5.

http://thepensblog.com/2014-archives/shero-draft-piece.html

Yeah I see, it only addresses the forward position.

Like I said, a forward must have ***** his sister or killed his dog when he was a kid. I openly acknowledge that his unbalanced drafting, his aversion to any pick other than defense (even among the forwards he drafts) is not ideal. Undoubtedly why he chose Staal when (at the time) Kessel was the glaringly obvious choice among 3 natural centers and one natural wing.

I grant your point.

But it is apples and oranges to mine.

It is like asking me how much is lunch at Burger King and you saying 'corned beef'.

OVERALL Shero has been a top ten drafting GM by measurable standards. The lack of balance in that drafting is a legitimate concern though.

Edit: I will add one thing while reading the article. The list of players and links to CP are somewhat misleading, because it doesn't factor in Bylsma's hatred of using rookies and young players. They keep and use veterans well into their 30's and almost 40's, SIGN AS FA'S VETERANS WHO ARE WASHED UP, LIKE SCUDERI, WHEN THEY ARE FLUSH WITH ROOKIE DEFENSEMAN WHO ARE BETTER, **** blocking some of the young talent, who is playing, and playing well, elsewhere.

Now that certainly is an issue, but has zero to do with drafting.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This whole thing is bizarre as hell...

How many teams have "reports" of ownership agreeing on firing someone, most teams just do it. Why do we need to hear meetings going on and people deciding on it, I mean not only is that a bit cruel to Bylsma, it's rather messed up to be honest. The longer they take, the more time they waste a new guy coming in and assessing the damage and going forward with that.

My god, this entire process...it adds to what is wrong with this franchise.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This whole thing is bizarre as hell...

How many teams have "reports" of ownership agreeing on firing someone, most teams just do it. Why do we need to hear meetings going on and people deciding on it, I mean not only is that a bit cruel to Bylsma, it's rather messed up to be honest. The longer they take, the more time they waste a new guy coming in and assessing the damage and going forward with that.

My god, this entire process...it adds to what is wrong with this franchise.

I agree.. It should be pretty clear.

Based on how insane this organization is, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bylsma retained.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People expected this to occur before the players had their interviews and exited?

Any reasonable person would know that even if they decided after game 5 to fire one or both of Disco and Shero, they wouldn't announce anything until Friday at the earliest. Likely Monday.

May 17, 2009
Maine
Regarding the deadline trades last season. Shero basically went all in for a cup and he lost. He overpaid for some assets and the roster was, in a way, overloaded.

With the benefit of hindsight, you have to wonder why he would make that bet and give away picks when we still hadn't dealt with our fundamental problem in the playoffs -- MAF. We need to play the long game for a few years and get our house in order. And as the OP says, we need a plan for what that long game is.

Making a few good trades at deadline day is the equivalent of day-trading. Making good draft picks is the equivalent of investing. We need to invest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People expected this to occur before the players had their interviews and exited?

Any reasonable person would know that even if they decided after game 5 to fire one or both of Disco and Shero, they wouldn't announce anything until Friday at the earliest. Likely Monday.

No, that I expect. But the constant "Pens are torn on firing Shero, Pens agree on firing Bylsma" news is rather morbid. A guy is sitting in his office wondering if he's actually fired yet or not. To me that just seems like a somewhat cruel thing to do. Yeah he's likely fired, but man...just let it happen behind closed doors. Way too much info is available about this already which is allowing us to speculate like crazy.

Pens were eliminated Tuesday. It's now Thursday. The earliest I expect any news is this weekend, but I don't want to know they're torn on Shero, a guy that tethered himself to Bylsma. It's both go, just hope they realize that soon.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No, that I expect. But the constant "Pens are torn on firing Shero, Pens agree on firing Bylsma" news is rather morbid. A guy is sitting in his office wondering if he's actually fired yet or not. To me that just seems like a somewhat cruel thing to do. Yeah he's likely fired, but man...just let it happen behind closed doors. Way too much info is available about this already which is allowing us to speculate like crazy.

Pens were eliminated Tuesday. It's now Thursday. The earliest I expect any news is this weekend, but I don't want to know they're torn on Shero, a guy that tethered himself to Bylsma. It's both go, just hope they realize that soon.

Shero and Bylsma both know their fates, I am certain of that.

Doesn't mean that it would be announced now just because you keep hitting refresh on your search button.

They would do this the right way.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
One newspaper in Edmonton thinks he should be hired there:

If the Pittsburgh Penguins fire Dan Bylsma, the Edmonton Oilers should hire him

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...n-bylsma-the-edmonton-oilers-should-hire-him/

I could see that as well. I just thought they gave Eakins a somewhat decent endorsement saying he is the guy.

Team 1040 outta Van was calling Trotz a lock but did say to keep an eye on the Pens situation (before they got bounced). Now that's the guy the media is targeting. Might get Kesler to rethink his "up in the air situation"

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would think Bylsma would be high on vancouvers list

Or the Caps. Or Carolina, the Staal "connection"

One newspaper in Edmonton thinks he should be hired there:

If the Pittsburgh Penguins fire Dan Bylsma, the Edmonton Oilers should hire him

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...n-bylsma-the-edmonton-oilers-should-hire-him/

I want Bylsma in Vancouver because I want him to deal with Canadian media.

The Capitals players wouldn't take too kindly to his style of play, and he would go insane coaching Yak and the other young guys in Edmonton.

I would find humor in any of those three options.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I want Bylsma in Vancouver because I want him to deal with Canadian media.

The Capitals players wouldn't take too kindly to his style of play, and he would go insane coaching Yak and the other young guys in Edmonton.

I would find humor in any of those three options.

That's why I suggested the Canes, they're not overly skilled outside of Eric and Skinner, Jordan....meh...

May 17, 2009
Maine

Not sure how it works at that level but if I was in Mario's shoes I would tell them to just chill at home for a few days. No need to come in and feel like they have an axe over their heads. Their not fools and they know what is being considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad