Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They keep saying they will match but why haven't they?

'Cause they certainly have the pressure from other teams to not do it. And if the Habs f*** up the Canes, the Canes can f*** up the Habs by not saying them right away so that they can't acquire anyboyd else for the next 7 days.

I Know I would do the exact same. Everything is legal. Signing RFA is legal. WAiting 7 days is legal.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If what I heard was accurate, and the first payment of bonus is 5 days after the contract, then I also wonder how revenue sharing works.

When does Carolina get its revenue sharing funds, and how big is it? Or I guess they could simply get a short term loan from the bank too, if required.

Nhl season ends on june 30th, so in all likelyhood, it's already paid up and on the books for last season.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Just LOL @ Bergevin thinking Aho actually signed the offer sheet because of his intention to play in Montreal.

Aho and his agent obviously used MTL to get a better deal.

Obviously CAR will match that relative bargain of a contract.

Go big or go home.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If Carolina is sincere in their desire to keep Aho, they wouldn’t keep him in 7-day limbo and should make a decision sooner rather than later. If they are matching, no point pissing off your franchise player even more. Of course, they may had already made it clear to Aho they are matching and just want to piss MB off with the 7-days but I doubt that.

My guess is if this heads into the weekend, they aren’t matching.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Why are people crucifying MB here? At worst, Carolina matches and we lose.....nothing !! And we gave ourselves at least a chance of getting a great player. Like I don’t know how people are pissed here ..

Because it achieved precisely nothing and holds up our cap space. If you're going to OS Aho, right on. But make it ballsy. Make the compensation worth it. Don't pennies on the dollar such a franchise-altering move. He's PPG 21 year-old center. Go all in or not at all.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
They keep saying they will match but why haven't they?
Because 1) they can screw MB over by tying his hands for the duration and 2) it's their face of the franchice - they will want to milk all publicity and entertainment out of it.

Why would they, when they can have the best of both worlds? Their fans know they will match because they have all but announced it publically and even making jokes about it. They would not be making those if they weren't going to match and that will be enough for the fans to remain calm. And they get free press. They need it.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
After Caroline matches Bergevin will end up with picks and an AHLer as his haul. He will say that trading is hard and organization has a plan. Molson will send season tickets renewals (up 20%) next week.
So what would have been your plan? Duchene at 10M? Lee at 8M? He can't grab UFAs by the arm and make them sign here, and these salaries are insanity.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't do this to yourself. I don't think I remember a team being more blatant about the fact that they'll match. This is over.
I get what you are saying but I can't help it.........................I have to hope.

I just have to, can't take the position we constantly find ourselves in these days much longer, Aho is an impact player and gives us a hell of a kick start to getting back into relevant status again.

Must.........................keep.......................................hope.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Bobby Mac confirming again that the belief around the league is that the offer sheet wasn’t good enough and that Carolina will absolutely match.

I think they would’ve matched anything but 4 1st-round picks going back.

Too bad this didn’t happen under Carolina’s old ownership

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe this Aho thing was just a warning...lol near 20 HRS LATER, WIKI SAYS HE STILL is ours...

Brayden Point is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League. The Tampa Bay Lightning selected Point in the third round, 79th overall in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Wikipedia

Reactions: jj cale

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If Carolina is sincere in their desire to keep Aho, they wouldn’t keep him in 7-day limbo and should make a decision sooner rather than later. If they are matching, no point pissing off your franchise player even more. Of course, they may had already made it clear to Aho they are matching and just want to piss MB off with the 7-days but I doubt that.

My guess is if this heads into the weekend, they aren’t matching.

They can say “shove it” so to speak to Montreal by making them wait the full 7 days and accept. Hell I’d do the same thing.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why are people crucifying MB here? At worst, Carolina matches and we lose.....nothing !! And we gave ourselves at least a chance of getting a great player. Like I don’t know how people are pissed here ..

First, everybody in the league sayd that we didn't give the best offer to hope to get him? And then, let say he would, I then would have said bravo....but in no way shape or form should we applaud a GM for trying somsething. It has to happen for succeeding in it.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am pissed off because we had a chance at taking a shot at getting a great player for real and instead we just did a little prelude to "we tried". We have been hoping for a real 1C for decades and most of the time in reality we knew there was no chance. Today there really was. And MB plays lowball and there is no chance - none 0 zero etc. that Canes won't match.

Reactions: Sugar Domi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad