Prospect Info: Finland wjc captain and alternate

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Surprised ya'll are cheering for Finland because of the prospects and not because of Leaf Legend Aki Berg.

Go Aki Go.

In all seriousness, I love watching our prospects do well, and if Canada gets knocked out early my allegiances will change to Finland. But for now, Canada allllllday errryday.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Yeah I remember Kapanen scoring that goal at the WJC, that was cool! :)

The WJC isn't necessarily a good barometer of how the kids will pan out but still, very cool to see our picks be captains - that's always a good sign IMO. And I am definitely looking forward to seeing these guys play, Niemela is someone many seem to have high hopes for and Hirvonen while less of a prospect I guess is still someone who has a fair bit of potential so very interested to see these guys play!

This is exactly how I feel. Like 100% bang on.

Little known fact that Joey Anderson was Captain for the 2018 US WJC Bronze medal team scoring 4G and 3A in 7 games.

Reactions: aingefan

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Will be interesting in seeing Topi Niemela play for Finland, haven't seen him play at all but after his top d-man award from last years WJC and from what I have heard and seen about him, it will be interesting to see.

Also, just looking up who won the best defenseman award at the WJC, pretty solid list that has transitioned into the NHL, seems like good news having Sandin and Niemela win it back to back years.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
That’s really exciting. I guess Finland should be all of our second fave team this year.

I usually cheer for them because they're generally underdogs and the only country that cares about hockey as much as Canada.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I generally root for Leaf prospects first, and Canada as the overall. I like to watch the different programs. Sweden, Finland, Russia and the US all have very distinct approaches and that is fascinating to watch.

I’ve found that Canada’s announcers seem entitled about how we should dominate, and that is a decidedly nun-Canadian attitude.

Really looking forward to seeing Niemela and Hirvonen for Finland.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I generally root for Leaf prospects first, and Canada as the overall. I like to watch the different programs. Sweden, Finland, Russia and the US all have very distinct approaches and that is fascinating to watch.

I’ve found that Canada’s announcers seem entitled about how we should dominate, and that is a decidedly nun-Canadian attitude.

Really looking forward to seeing Niemela and Hirvonen for Finland.
Don't be dissing the nuns, especially at Christmas.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I've always loved those Finish players. Esa Tikkanen, Leo Komarov, Selane, Koivu ... something about the honest way they played the game. I don't mean honest by following the rules, honest in the way they wore their hearts on their sleeves and had that bulldog type approach to the game.

Reactions: saltming

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I usually cheer for them because they're generally underdogs and the only country that cares about hockey as much as Canada.
Same!! I started cheering for them because my son started liking because his name is Finn but then realized they're a mini Canada when it comes to puck.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I've always loved those Finish players. Esa Tikkanen, Leo Komarov, Selane, Koivu ... something about the honest way they played the game. I don't mean honest by following the rules, honest in the way they wore their hearts on their sleeves and had that bulldog type approach to the game.

It`s the small hockey-nation syndrome. Slovakias golden generation did the same. They were always greater playing for the nation than the logo.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
you mean 1st favorite team! tbh i couldnt really care less if canada wins the juniors lol. i care about my leafs prospects way more. if theres no more leafs prospects left playing then GO CANADA i suppose lol.

Agreed always most interested in individual players.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Will always cheer for Canada, but I also find myself rooting for Sweden and Finland.

Love how they play, with finesse and some grit.

I find the Finland vs. Sweden rivalry every bit as heated as the US vs Canada rivalry.

If anything, I enjoy their games more because I'm living and dying for Canada in those games, but when Sweden and Finland match up, I'm just watching for the love of the sport and they always deliver a great game.

Merry Christmas everyone! Stay safe, please.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Will always cheer for Canada, but I also find myself rooting for Sweden and Finland.

I find TSN has made it harder to cheer for Canada than it has been in the past. Their over the top jingoism has started to really bother me the past few years. I guess Im more about quiet confidence than "THIS IS OUR GAME" type ads.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I find TSN has made it harder to cheer for Canada than it has been in the past. Their over the top jingoism has started to really bother me the past few years. I guess Im more about quiet confidence than "THIS IS OUR GAME" type ads.

Well said.

I don’t need the over the top rhetoric. It’s all about the game.

I wish they would take a chapter from the European football commentator’s who aren’t yapping the entire time.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It is our game, what other game is there that is better followed in the country? Baseball is the U S game or maybe football. Soccer is the game of most European countries, Cricket in India.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
It is our game, what other game is there that is better followed in the country? Baseball is the U S game or maybe football. Soccer is the game of most European countries, Cricket in India.

The "Im the best" attitude isn't Canadian, its TSN trying to pump your chest up so you'll watch their games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad