GDT: Finland - Sweden

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Overall I was happy with how we played. Hopefully our boys keep improving. I was surprised we even got a point from this game, was expecting a regulation loss.

Reactions: illone84

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
As much as I criticized the fourth offensive line, in the second half of the game everyone finally started to skate better, and thus their game improved. Who did not convince me, on the other hand, was Nylander. Armia's chance from a great position started with Nylander staying completely out of the game behind the Finnish goal, thus creating an overcount for Finland and a great position to shoot, so the Finns could have scored a second goal before the 60th minute.
I have to mention Hartikainen again, an excellent player. He uses his physical parameters to the maximum to lure two opponents to him and then he can see the play and simply pass with a cross pass to the other side. Lucky for Sweden that Pokka was in that position.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
GG,
Will be interesting to see if Kakko will be able to have a breakthrough in the NHL next season. He seems to have the tools.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Overall I was happy with how we played. Hopefully our boys keep improving. I was surprised we even got a point from this game, was expecting a regulation loss.
Yup i don't get some of these Ilta-Sanomat tier comments here. Sometimes these games happen, what Finland could've done better except scoring?

Sweden even with fairly small players did remarkable job in front of their net. They had it covered at all times, Kakko and other skillful players had to just keep posession because there literally was no space, ever.

And still we had few good chances which we should've scored, while Sweden had maybe one or two dangerous shots and other one they scored, fair enough. Are people actually watching what is happening on the ice? "Why they don't shoot". Where to shoot? That was Sweden's mission, to make Finland shoot from bad angles where their goalie can save it easily.

Put any team in this tournament against that Sweden's defence and it would've been pretty much the same result.

Reactions: FinPanda

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Any news about Willie Nylander or still pending?
Chris Härenstam said before the game that we will know this evening - evening as in eastern time in North america. So in the next few hours. And I believe expressen or Aftonbladet spoke to him in that conversation he confirmed that he wanted to play, but also said he wanted to speak to Dubas and Keefe first

Last edited:

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Yup i don't get some of these Ilta-Sanomat tier comments here. Sometimes these games happen, what Finland could've done better except scoring?

Sweden even with fairly small players did remarkable job in front of their net. They had it covered at all times, Kakko and other skillful players had to just keep posession because there literally was no space, ever.

And still we had few good chances which we should've scored, while Sweden had maybe one or two dangerous shots and other one they scored, fair enough. Are people actually watching what is happening on the ice? "Why they don't shoot". Where to shoot? That was Sweden's mission, to make Finland shoot from bad angles where their goalie can save it easily.

Put any team in this tournament against that Sweden's defence and it would've been pretty much the same result.
You described Växjö hockey exactly, they play this style in the playoffs, you watch the game that takes place in your defensive zone, but the opposing team doesn't get to really threaten the goal. And if the goalkeeper does not hold the puck and it falls in front of him, the defenders will quickly get him away. And then two or three rare chances of the opponent are enough and the score is 1-3.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
You described Växjö hockey exactly, they play this style in the playoffs, you watch the game that takes place in your defensive zone, but the opposing team doesn't get to really threaten the goal. And if the goalkeeper does not hold the puck and it falls in front of him, the defenders will quickly get him away. And then two or three rare chances of the opponent are enough and the score is 1-3.
Yeah, and that's the winning formula in Euro level. People watch these games like it was the NHL and don't watch other nuances what's happening on the ice. It's not crazy coast to coast so it's Zzz.

Sweden plays now how they should've played before. That's why USA never wins, Canada is a bit more versatile and can adapt better. But USA plays that ultimate NA hockey in these tournaments and never wins.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The new coach for Sweden seems very solid

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, and that's the winning formula in Euro level. People watch these games like it was the NHL and don't watch other nuances what's happening on the ice. It's not crazy coast to coast so it's Zzz.

Sweden plays now how they should've played before.

Växjö plays the most god awful dull hockey in the SHL though and it’s indeed zzz. If that’s the way Sweden should play, then good riddance, I’m not seeing myself returning to international hockey as long as we’re looking at years of Hallam v. Jalonen and the NLA All-Stars.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Växjö plays the most god awful dull hockey in the SHL though and it’s indeed zzz. If that’s the way Sweden should play, then good riddance, I’m not seeing myself returning to international hockey as long as we’re looking at years of Hallam v. Jalonen and the NLA All-Stars.
Växjö is the champion right?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
The new coach for Sweden seems very solid
He is a competent coach with a sense of the game, he can react well to the situation on the ice, he can estimate who cannot help the team as much. In the first half of the match, Sweden's fourth offensive line was still under pressure, but in the second half of the match they were able to match the Finns, I think they received precise instructions on how to change their game and not be under pressure so often.

I like that he added Zetterlund and didn't play Everberg. It is his first season in the position of coach of NT and I hope that he can separate himself from the darlings who represent many years but do not have results. There are younger players in the SHL, Öberg, Stal-Lyrenas and others...Lang and Aman were an excellent pair, there is really no need to prolong the career of de la Rose
or Sörensen.

Btw. With Garpenlöv, we would see a nice game....with a result of 3-0 for Finland.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Sweden - Finland could end 0-0 and is still be alot more fun to watch than some regular season none meaningfull NHL-game. Alot more emotions around theese games, if you cant se it, go checkout basketball, there you'll have some higher point totals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad