Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Pesonen is another good candidate. Like I said, wingers won't be an issue. And since Pesonen was mentioned... some of you are probably going to groan now, but I can see JMA sneaking into this squad too.

Can't write off Virtanen either, but if there's something we won't be lacking of, it's solid left-hooked all-around defensemen. He's another to the pile to pick from.

If there's a concern with defense, it's the relative lack of righties. Hietanen is a no-brainer, but behind him I don't see many candidates besides Lajunen. Not that it's going to matter that much. A player's hook should never be that much of a factor. If you've two equally good players and it's the only way to distinguish them, then sure. But never should one leave off a better lefty to make room for a righty who's worse.
Okay the Defense + Goalie are very well. But the Offense is average exeptional Eeli Tolvanen. He is the cream topping ;).

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Tolvanen-Kontiola-Kallio
Hartikainen-Immonen-Savinainen
Keränen-Kemppainen-Pihlström
Osala-Koskiranta-Joensuu
(Jormakka,Anttila)

Hietanen-Lepistö
Salmela-Jokipakka
Järvinen-Ohtamaa
(Kukkonen)

Koskinen
Rämö

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Not on my radar before the season started but Jesse Juntilla's form and point scoring becoming hard to ignore. If he keeps this up could well be in the frame. He's offensive talent is clear to see.

Can anyone who's watched him regularly comment on his defensive game or his weaknesses?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Korpikoski-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Tolvanen-Immonen-Osala
Savinainen-Kemppainen-Hartikainen
Pihlström-Niemi-Anttila

Lepistö-Hietanen
Jokipakka-Lajunen
Ohtamaa-Heiskanen
Kivistö-Koivisto

Koskinen

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
There’s no way that Heiskanen and Tolvanen can be left out of the team, except if Marjamäki is even more a moron than I have thought...

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Roster for Karjala cup. What do you guys think?

Maalivahdit- Goaltenders

19 Koskinen Mikko, SKA Pietari, KHL
31 Ortio Joni, Skellefteå AIK, SHL
35 Kilpeläinen Eero, Örebro HK, SHL

Puolustajat - Defenders

2 Jokipakka Jyrki, HK Sotši, KHL
4 Lehtonen Mikko, Tappara Tampere
5 Kukkonen Lasse, Kärpät Oulu
7 Mikkola Niko, Tappara Tampere
18 Lepistö Sami, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
21 Virtanen Jesse, Färjestad BK, SHL
42 Heiskanen Miro, IFK Helsinki
47 Lajunen Ville, Spartak Moscow, KHL
50 Koivisto Miika, Kärpät Oulu
55 Ohtamaa Atte, Ak Bars Kazan, KHL

Hyökkääjät - Forwards

12 Anttila Marko, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
13 Junttila Julius, Kärpät Oulu
20 Tolvanen Eeli, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
22 Niemi Mika, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
23 Kemppainen Joonas, Salavat Julaev Ufa, KHL
24 Lajunen Jani, HC Lugano, NLA
25 Manninen Sakari, Örebro HK, SHL
27 Kontiola Petri, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, KHL
37 Pyörälä Mika, SC Bern, NLA
40 Koskiranta Jarno, SKA Pietari, KHL
41 Pihlström Antti, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
70 Hartikainen Teemu, Salavat Julaev Ufa, KHL
74 Erkinjuntti Antti, SCL Tigers, NLA
81 Peltola Jukka, Tappara Tampere
86 Savinainen Veli-Matti, Jugra Hanty-Mansijsk, KHL

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Definitely tells us who are on Marjamäki's radar.

I had mild conservative expectations that the U20 eligibles would be with the rest of U20s, but it's not like this is a bad call - on the contrary. Apart from building chemistry, those two have nothing left to do in a junior practice tournament. They're locks to make the final WJC squad anyway.

Last edited:

Caffeine

Apr 27, 2017
Petrozavodsk
I don't really see Finland being contender for gold medal as long as Marjamaki is their head coach. I can see them playing similar as they did last spring at the wch when they looked absolutely awful. This is the coach that has throughout his career favored trap over forecheck and on top of that he will likely make some really questionable lineup decisions and favor old and slow veterans over youth. And once he does all those above things team Finland will have a team that does look gassed right after puck drop and will have to hope they get Vezina level performance from their mediocre European goalies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kukkonen has been the 6th best d-man for Kärpät so far. It's a joke if he somehow makes the olympic team.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I don't really see Finland being contender for gold medal as long as Marjamaki is their head coach. I can see them playing similar as they did last spring at the wch when they looked absolutely awful. This is the coach that has throughout his career favored trap over forecheck and on top of that he will likely make some really questionable lineup decisions and favor old and slow veterans over youth. And once he does all those above things team Finland will have a team that does look gassed right after puck drop and will have to hope they get Vezina level performance from their mediocre European goalies.

Mikko Koskinen isn't mediocre goalie.
If you have watched his KHL games you should know that he's best Finnish goalie in that league.
Koskinen was best goaltender in 2016 hockey world championships have you perhaps forgotten that huh?.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kukkonen brings loads of experience, I don't think it's such a bad choice minding that the alternatives aren't stellar either.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Kukkonen is nowhere near as good as he was back in the start of 2010's. He is also the most criticised player throughout those passing years.
He shouldn't be on the ice much if he's even chosen to the Olympics. There are about 9 other better defenders on this roster. If he's better at strictly defending, he will 100% get the spot just because he has merit. There's nothing else to it.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
So obviously it looks like Immonen seems to be dropped out of the team...

So i can see our Olympic lineup look like this:

Tolvanen-Kontiola-Hartikainen
Peltola-Koskiranta-Savinainen
Junttila-Kemppainen-Pyörälä
Anttila-Niemi-Pihlström

Heiskanen-Lepistö
Virtanen-Lajunen
Koivisto-Ohtamaa
(Kukkonen-Jokipakka) I hope they got dropped both.

Koskinen
(Ortio, Kilpeläinen)

I like our team. Everyone of this lineup knows exactly how to play defensive hockey like Finland did last at WHC. Teams are not even close to that good which will give us big advantage. Our first pp line is awesome. Koskinen is best goalie in the tournament... Russia is only better team at paper, this team knows how to beat them. Most of them have done it already.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
So obviously it looks like Immonen seems to be dropped out of the team...

So i can see our Olympic lineup look like this:

Tolvanen-Kontiola-Hartikainen
Peltola-Koskiranta-Savinainen
Junttila-Kemppainen-Pyörälä
Anttila-Niemi-Pihlström

Heiskanen-Lepistö
Virtanen-Lajunen
Koivisto-Ohtamaa
(Kukkonen-Jokipakka) I hope they got dropped both.

Koskinen
(Ortio, Kilpeläinen)

I like our team. Everyone of this lineup knows exactly how to play defensive hockey like Finland did last at WHC. Teams are not even close to that good which will give us big advantage. Our first pp line is awesome. Koskinen is best goalie in the tournament... Russia is only better team at paper, this team knows how to beat them. Most of them have done it already.
I understand your optimism. As a team they could get silver or bronze medal. But on paper is Sweden and Canada better.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Tolvanen-Kontiola-Peltola
Junttila-Kemppainen-Hartikainen
Savinainen-Koskiranta-Pyörälä
Anttila-Niemi-Pihlström

Heiskanen-Lepistö
Lehtonen-Lajunen
Koivisto-Ohtamaa
Virtanen-Jokipakka

Koskinen

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Some very questionable calls. Kukkonen is the worst. There are about 30 better Ds in Liiga alone. Awful to include him to the national team.

I expect the team to look good on paper but as soon as they start playing they'll look like slugs slogging through mud and get their pockets picked all day while refusing to forecheck, trying to play defensive 1-0 victories even against irrelevant countries. Joke coaching.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Lines for today's game:

Line 1:
20 Eeli Tolvanen – 27 Petri Kontiola – 81 Jukka Peltola
7 Niko Mikkola – 18 Sami Lepistö
Line 2:
13 Julius Junttila – 23 Joonas Kemppainen – 70 Teemu Hartikainen
55 Atte Ohtamaa – 42 Miro Heiskanen
Line 3:
86 Veli-Matti Savinainen – 40 Jarno Koskiranta – 74 Antti Erkinjuntti
50 Miika Koivisto – 47 Ville Lajunen
Line 4:
41 Antti Pihlström – 22 Mika Niemi – 12 Marko Anttila
5 Lasse Kukkonen

Kukkonen still gets a spot. Other than that though, not a bad lineup at all.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Some very questionable calls. Kukkonen is the worst. There are about 30 better Ds in Liiga alone. Awful to include him to the national team.

Best individuals do not always make the best team though, if it is felt that Kukkonen brings more experience and leadership than the other options then including him as the 7D shouldn't be such a big deal.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
2nd and 4th line in particular look real good yesterday.

Be interesting to see how the 1st line develops but no drastic measures required just yet.

I'd leave as is for now to see how tournament progresses but I don't like Erkinjuntti on that 3rd line. I think these tactics are set up for speed. Would love to have Palmu on this line as he's got amazing speed and can pull stuff off on his own. Realistically he had to be in this squad to have any chance. Only chance now is that his liiga numbers absolutely blow up.

My hope now is for Osala to break in before olympics. I think Saivanainen-Koskiranta-Osala would be far better suited 3rd line.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My selection ATM, following the Karjala Cup would be:

Tolvanen - Kontiola - Korpikoski
Hartikainen - Kemppainen - Junttila
Osala - J.Lajunen - Manninen
Anttila - Niemi - Pihlström
+Koskiranta, Pyörälä

Lepistö - Hietanen
Heiskanen - Jokipakka
Lehtonen - V.Lajunen
Virtanen - Ohtamaa

Koskinen + scrubs

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
^ Looks pretty legit. I guess you cannot help the saddening truth your #1 C is as slow as they come, those frigging moleasses. And the wings of that combo should provide the compensating wheels for the line. I mean Tolvanen. Not Korpikoski who has no business of being in that line...

A curious remark: Mr. Larry Berry Hill has done his homework it seems and quicker they play and with minimal delays. Kudos. But then again, that is what you should expect from him given his diligent school boy outlook.

All in all we can wait for the upcoming NHL free Olympics with relaxed minds. This time it should be all hockey, not some bizarre excuse and sidekick for the cult of superstars. Good for the game, though not sure if it is good for the show. Which doesn't worry me one penny, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad