Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
no, lankinen is not better than lehner and markstrom.just compare their stats.

So the defense and the team overall doesn't matter at all? Is that your point? I have watched a lot of games with these goalies and I would choose Lankinen before Markström and Lehner without blinking.
Listen and read closely, Lankinen won games for Chicago by his own last year. Even when the defense seemed horrendous at times.
Not only was he a netminder for a weak franchise with weak defending, his earlier achievements are impressive and he has shown his qualities. Don't forget he's still a lot younger than Markström as well.
Just look at our gold winning team 2019, Lankinen was even better than Vasilievski in that tournament. Never ever have I seen Markström nor Lehner outshine Vasilievski. A lot of fans shouted Anttila but Lankinen was probably the biggest reason we won.
Ullmark as third? Please, we already have a bigger prospect born 99 in Luukkonen.
Kähkönen could be a big riser this upcoming year. Raanta if healthy, has the potential to outshine all Swedish goalies as well. Husso has sadly declined but he´s not even an option anymore. Korpisalo would probably go before Ullmark but I´m not a fan of neither goalie.
Penguins signed Lindberg... Come on, it's not even up for debate. Finland have better goaltenders than Sweden. Just as clear as Russia have the best goalies right now.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So the defense and the team overall doesn't matter at all? Is that your point? I have watched a lot of games with these goalies and I would choose Lankinen before Markström and Lehner without blinking.
Listen and read closely, Lankinen won games for Chicago by his own last year. Even when the defense seemed horrendous at times.
Not only was he a netminder for a weak franchise with weak defending, his earlier achievements are impressive and he has shown his qualities. Don't forget he's still a lot younger than Markström as well.
Just look at our gold winning team 2019, Lankinen was even better than Vasilievski in that tournament. Never ever have I seen Markström nor Lehner outshine Vasilievski. A lot of fans shouted Anttila but Lankinen was probably the biggest reason we won.
Ullmark as third? Please, we already have a bigger prospect born 99 in Luukkonen.
Kähkönen could be a big riser this upcoming year. Raanta if healthy, has the potential to outshine all Swedish goalies as well. Husso has sadly declined but he´s not even an option anymore. Korpisalo would probably go before Ullmark but I´m not a fan of neither goalie.
Penguins signed Lindberg... Come on, it's not even up for debate. Finland have better goaltenders than Sweden. Just as clear as Russia have the best goalies right now.

Lankinen have 1 good season in NHL compared to Lehner and Markstrom that have been good for several years.

Why are you even bringing up Lindberg, Käkhonen and Lukkonen? None of this guys are good NHL goalies yet. Ullmark is already a good NHL goalie. Its not like Sweden dont have any goalie prospeccts. Wallsted and Alnefelt for exemple.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland can win anything and everything, we ain't afraid even of when we have a Liiga-team against them so called them Canada all >NHL. Two maybe three Finland NHL:s around in the squad to win or maybe baby lose it all enough. The Worldchampionchips that is. And that's enough for me.

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland spit on you Canada and Russia too. Like it or not.

Sidney is out of touch and Ovechkin is out reach for his magic touch. Then it's only Finland left.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Finland spit on you Canada and Russia too. Like it or not.

Sidney is out of touch and Ovechkin is out reach for his magic touch. Then it's only Finland left.
Sounds more like a Marchand move to spit on someone. And the post I just read seems like it’s the one out of touch. Citing crosby like it’s not mcdavid’s team. But with your roster you’d definitely win a video game contest with laine leading the way.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
If a chap like Marchand:huh: will lead the Olympic way ... then Canada will have a heavy road ahead.

And McDonald ...eh, McDavid will not eat hamburgers when MacKinnon is on the team what I've heard. Teen spirit or team spirit.

Finland can't even spell to not have that on their menu.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lankinen have 1 good season in NHL compared to Lehner and Markstrom that have been good for several years.

Why are you even bringing up Lindberg, Käkhonen and Lukkonen? None of this guys are good NHL goalies yet. Ullmark is already a good NHL goalie. Its not like Sweden dont have any goalie prospeccts. Wallsted and Alnefelt for exemple.

Rask (if he returns), Ranta (when healthy), Lankinen and Saros are all better goalies than Markström and Lehner. Do you have a problem with that? Read between the lines, my point was that Finland have the better goalies and bigger depth. Two out of two. What are you trying to achieve here?
Also, Lankinen has always been good and proved himself. It's not his fault the Blackhawks organization took their time to give him some trust. Last but not least, who gives a rats ass if he would be a late bloomer anyway? The point is that he's a better goalie and that your arguments are quite hollow to be honest.

Have a nice day.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This thread is embarrassing.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Well, maybe not the entire thread, but at least the ongoing childish Finland-Sweden tug-of-war. (And the fact that we still haven't got a 2022 thread.)

And, oh, I hope that my recent analysis about how our defense is being built can be seen as contributing.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well, at least you recognised that you are part of the problem.

You are a part of the problem. Is it forbidden to compare and write our thoughts in here? Should you just mock others? Instead of sharing your smart thoughts and perhaps learn us something? Or is it that you just like to take the role as a wiseacre and not give us your expertise and explain how you think and share your knowledge? That's the definition of what? Deep logics buddy.

What's the point in whining and mocking others if you are not willing to share anything above that? Do you think you are smarter than others by doing that? And if you do have anything to offer, why not share it and make us others smarter? Instead you feel the urge to state something with one sentence... You are very smart and mature.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lankinen has had two good months and a good World Championship. He’s not shown himself to be an NHL goalie otherwise. He’s not one of Finland’s three best goalies.

Well, is the Olympics not a tournament as well? So performing at a world class level at championship like the WC´s against a good Canadian and Swedish roster doesn't mean anything? The olympics and WC´s share as much similarities as NHL and the O.G. does? Especially when some of the top5 countries have had a lot of NHL players.

But, my favorite goalie is probably Juuse Saros despite his size. I´m not saying Lankinen is Finlands best goalie by any means. My point was that I consider him as a better goalie than Markström and probably Lehner as well, nothing else.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Well, is the Olympics not a tournament as well? So performing at a world class level at championship like the WC´s against a good Canadian and Swedish roster doesn't mean anything? The olympics and WC´s share as much similarities as NHL and the O.G. does? Especially when some of the top5 countries have had a lot of NHL players.

But, my favorite goalie is probably Juuse Saros despite his size. I´m not saying Lankinen is Finlands best goalie by any means. My point was that I consider him as a better goalie than Markström and probably Lehner as well, nothing else.
Lankinen is not better than any of those goalies right now OR Vasilievski. He's not even a lock to be one of Finland's 3 goalies and it's certainly not that deep of a pool compared to years past.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lankinen is not better than any of those goalies right now OR Vasilievski. He's not even a lock to be one of Finland's 3 goalies and it's certainly not that deep of a pool compared to years past.

Have I´ve ever written that he would be better than Vasilievski? I consider the Russian to be the best goaltender in the world, at least for now. I just wrote Lankinen was brutally good in that tournament. Some would call it a small sample size and I can understand that, but at least he has shown that he is capable of stepping up in a tournament.
Instead of repeating others behavior, these never ending assumptions that is. You and others can ask questions before you start speculating on what others think or believe, especially when they've never claimed something that you are trying to make a point off.
Honestly mate, take it easy with your assumptions. Have I said that the pool is deeper than before? Or better? I wrote that the Finnish pool is deeper than Swedens when it comes to goaltenders. That's my opinion and I still stand behind it.

Edit: Regarding Swedens goalies, we can agree to disagree. I believe Lankinen is better than the majority of the goalies from Sweden ;)
But who cares, I´m a Saros fan and I would choose him before Lehner and Markström without hesitating.
Like Vasilievski, when Saros has a good day he is almost capable of winning games by his own.
What does Saros share with Vasilievski? I´ve never seen their kind of talent at the WJC´s. Saros has actually always had a spectacular talent and just because he's been behind Rinne he hasn't got the limelight. Good or bad? Don't know and who cares because not only has he shown what he can accomplish, he also has the stats speaking in his favor even if I don't think they always tell the whole story.

Last edited:

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I'd have Lankinen in my three. He s got a bit a magic about him. It was a really good debut season. Hopefully he shows his best form this season with what will likely be a lesser workload. Looking forward to seeing that goalie battle. I do think Lankinen can challenge.

Rask's injury is concerning. Hopefully he can come back in time. A healthy rask is pretty awesome.

But my biggest hope like you is for Saros. He was absolutely lights out last season after he came back from early season injury and consistently too. Can he continue that will be the thing. Man I hope so. In my eyes I was surprised he was not in the 3 for vezina. If he produces a similar season then the no. 1 is his.

Reactions: THE JAM and Nate070

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad